Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

nm posted:

Davis gets a bit boring after a while, especially if you're not into drinking with college students every day (That isn't to say Davis doesn't have some cool stuff). Sacramento has more to do, particularly in restaurants.

Fun fact, within the last 20 years you couldn't even buy underwear in Davis, you had to go to Woodland or Sacramento. It has grown up really, really fast. Davis used to be way smaller than Woodland.

Yeah, that's where we thought if downtown Sacramento /was/ Davis, it'd be a better balance. COL was our biggest driver for checking out the city though for sure. gently caress cost for the 'cool' parts of CA. Goddamn though, the cost is there 'cause outside those areas where else in the US do you get the atmosphere, jobs available, and the weather? No wonder you gotta pay out the rear end. Between making more in a couple years, VR headsets being out, and the option to go outside any week of the year, I'm totally cool with paying twice as much for half as much square footage. After living in the Midwest, the more I visit other areas the more I give props to non-Chicago places like Des Moines and Minneapolis for having a surprising amount of awesome stuff. The big downside though is half the year you don't wanna do poo poo cause it's -10 outside (before wind chill)! Where else does it stay warm? Florida, Louisiana, Texas, New Mexico, and uh...yeah, about that.. Columbus should've landed in Florida, checked out up to Tennessee, started exploring west, looked north again then said "Ya know what? It's -10 above here. That's it, people weren't made to live below zero, here's some sheepskin wraps if you need 'em but we're done with loving for now, go back to the beach."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

teh_Broseph posted:

Yeah, that's where we thought if downtown Sacramento /was/ Davis, it'd be a better balance. COL was our biggest driver for checking out the city though for sure. gently caress cost for the 'cool' parts of CA. Goddamn though, the cost is there 'cause outside those areas where else in the US do you get the atmosphere, jobs available, and the weather? No wonder you gotta pay out the rear end. Between making more in a couple years, VR headsets being out, and the option to go outside any week of the year, I'm totally cool with paying twice as much for half as much square footage. After living in the Midwest, the more I visit other areas the more I give props to non-Chicago places like Des Moines and Minneapolis for having a surprising amount of awesome stuff. The big downside though is half the year you don't wanna do poo poo cause it's -10 outside (before wind chill)! Where else does it stay warm? Florida, Louisiana, Texas, New Mexico, and uh...yeah, about that.. Columbus should've landed in Florida, checked out up to Tennessee, started exploring west, looked north again then said "Ya know what? It's -10 above here. That's it, people weren't made to live below zero, here's some sheepskin wraps if you need 'em but we're done with loving for now, go back to the beach."

Spain took all the nice warm places, it was England and France that decided to colonize the places with lovely cold winters.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
A cousin is moving to Bakersfield in a month or so but in the mean time she and her family have been living in hotels in Ventura County. Do resources exist that can help her out other than shelters?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

RandomPauI posted:

A cousin is moving to Bakersfield in a month or so but in the mean time she and her family have been living in hotels in Ventura County. Do resources exist that can help her out other than shelters?

I'm not very clear on what you're actually asking about. Month-to-month rentals? Extended stay hotels? Youth hostels?

Homeless shelters do exist for homeless people, is your cousin broke enough that that's actually an option she's considering right now?

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.
Caltrain is the worst. Drunk Giants fans, please stop riding Caltrain. I hate you.
:goonsay:

(seriously though do keep riding it, it eases a lot of the traffic, it's better for the environment, and it's not like Caltrain smells any less like a clogged toilet without you)

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
The croix de puke n' garlic fries on the 10pm caltrain after a long work day in SF. My favorite way to ride back to Sunnyvale when I lived there. Meh.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

When I was in high school I went back and forth between Morgan Hill and San Francisco every friday/sunday on Caltrain. It was good. I imagine it's not as clean any more but being allowed to eat and drink on the train is huge - one of the things that makes long BART rides suck. I understand why, of course, BART has actual upholstry and carpeting they're trying in vain to keep from being a urine and vomit sponge 100% of the time, and I appreciate that, but the caltrain experience is ideal for going out at night/coming home at night from things other than work.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

I'm not very clear on what you're actually asking about. Month-to-month rentals? Extended stay hotels? Youth hostels?

Homeless shelters do exist for homeless people, is your cousin broke enough that that's actually an option she's considering right now?

No, she isn't considering that right now. I'm not entirely sure what to ask myself.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

RandomPauI posted:

No, she isn't considering that right now. I'm not entirely sure what to ask myself.

No seriously, the phrase "Do resources exist that can help her out other than shelters?" with so little context is impossible to address in any way. What help does she need?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
She doesn't really need anything urgently. When I asked I really wanted to do more to help than babysit occasionally. That's about the limits of what I can do at this time.

DirtyDirt
Apr 27, 2005
Chairman Of The Bored
I am considering taking a traveling gig in Walnut Creek in the East Bay. Can anyone give me an idea what travel to the city would be like? Let's say an early day off work, around 3 or 4, what would a night in and back run me? Also I love to mountain bike, any idea of trails or parks in the area will help as well. Thanks in advance.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Not sure about exact cost, but Walnut Creek is a standard, slightly upscale, suburb. I guess expect traffic and cost of living consistent with that. Also there are a very large number of trails of all kinds nearby.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

DirtyDirt posted:

I am considering taking a traveling gig in Walnut Creek in the East Bay. Can anyone give me an idea what travel to the city would be like? Let's say an early day off work, around 3 or 4, what would a night in and back run me? Also I love to mountain bike, any idea of trails or parks in the area will help as well. Thanks in advance.

Are you talking about commuting daily from SF to Walnut Creek? BART isn't too bad I hear but avoid driving through the Caldecott anytime near rush hour.

Mount Diablo, Black Diamond Mines, and the entirety of the Oakland Hills park system are pretty sweet and I see tons of people biking in them.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I live in Concord which is right next to Walnut Creek.

You don't want to do the drive to/from SF during rush hour, but not because of the caldecott (which just got a new bore): rather, the bay bridge/toll plaza backup is horrendous, and you don't want to be driving in downtown SF during rush hour no matter what.

Fortunately Walnut Creek has a BART station, which is the right way to do a commute.

But it sounds like you're saying you'll be staying in Walnut Creek while you work there, and then you want to know about bopping into SF on an evening for some entertainment? Sure, taking BART from WC to SF in the afternoon/evening is reverse commute, it'll take you 45 minutes to downtown SF. BART runs till around midnight or 1 AM I believe.

Walnut Creek is very, very nice. It's an upscale city with high-end shopping, theaters, etc. There is lots of nice hiking around here, outdoors stuff to do, and you should not ignore Oakland which has an actual nightlife and fun events and stuff too. Tell us what kinds of stuff you're interested in and I might be able to give you more specifics.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Leperflesh posted:

I live in Concord which is right next to Walnut Creek.

<a bunch of facts>

Quoting for truth, I live on the closer side of WC (Lafayette). I'd argue WC -> downtown BART trip is more 35 minutes than 45, but either way it's doable. There's a multitude of everything out here, as long as you can stomach suburbanites - if I didn't work in SoMa I could easily limit trips to SF to once every few weeks.

Re: Oakland, it's got a lot of neat stuff near BART and is an even shorter trip than downtown SF. (Plug: acquaintance of mine just opened a super rad tiki-esque bar near 12th St called Longitude - amazing drinks, good food, neat decor.)

A fringe benefit of living out here is we skip much of the nasty traffic SF residents deal with when leaving the city. Going to wine country or the mountains? No dealing with the Golden Gate or Bay Bridge. Going to San Jose, Santa Cruz or points south? No peninsula traffic. Etc.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm thinking of spending a day or two at Joshua Tree on the way from San Diego to Las Vegas. Any suggestions from those who've been there? Also probably stopping at Salton Sea on the way, are there any particulaly interesting locations to check out?

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

I'm thinking of spending a day or two at Joshua Tree on the way from San Diego to Las Vegas. Any suggestions from those who've been there? Also probably stopping at Salton Sea on the way, are there any particulaly interesting locations to check out?

If you're near the Salton Sea you could always check out the International Banana Museum.

erobadapazzi
Jul 23, 2007
Joshua Tree is my favorite place! Are you wanting to hike or what?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

erobadapazzi posted:

Joshua Tree is my favorite place! Are you wanting to hike or what?

Probably, is there anything else to do there? I don't have any special equipmet and would prefer not to buy or rent anything expensive.

I also don't have a tent - is it possible to just camp out of the car wherever or how does that work there?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

mobby_6kl posted:

Probably, is there anything else to do there? I don't have any special equipmet and would prefer not to buy or rent anything expensive.

I also don't have a tent - is it possible to just camp out of the car wherever or how does that work there?

Depends on how you feel about meeting the San Bernardino County Sheriff.
I guess you could car camp at a real campground, the ones at JT are pretty cheap.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
As a dirty foreigner and general principle, I'd rather not interact with any law enforcement :)

erobadapazzi
Jul 23, 2007
I guess I was mostly wondering how intense you wanted your hiking to be, short nature trails or longer excursions, or if you'd rather just kinda drive around to different areas. My two favorite hikes I've done there are the Maze Loop (http://www.modernhiker.com/2008/02/01/hiking-the-maze/) and the Willow Hole trail through the Wonderland of Rocks (http://www.protrails.com/trail/160/joshua-tree-national-park-willow-hole-and-the-wonderland-of-rocks).

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Oh that makes sense, I just thought that if there's something like climbing or kayaking then I won't be able to do that due to lack of equipment.

I think I'd drive around a bit and combine that with a short hike or two. Those two look pretty doable.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Generally speaking, if there's a place where a wilderness-type activity is possible, there's a business somewhere nearby that rents out the equipment you'd need. It might not be a very good deal, though.

erobadapazzi
Jul 23, 2007
There is definitely climbing, but I know absolutely nothing about it. As the poster above me said, though, you could probably find a place to rent equipment if that's what you're into.

The two hikes I linked to are not the major ones that tend to get mentioned, but I really enjoyed them. Some of the shorter nature trails are also really cool to see, like the Hidden Valley Loop or the Skull Rock loop (list can be found at http://www.nps.gov/jotr/planyourvisit/ntrails.htm). Those tend to have more foot traffic, but you can do a number of them in a day as you drive through the park.

The park straddles two different deserts. The northern part is in the Mojave Desert, which is at a higher elevation and where you will find the Joshua Trees and the crazy rock formations. As you drive down (towards the south and towards lower elevations) to the bottom of the park you get to the Colorado Desert, where the landscape is a little less exciting and there are more cholla and stuff. I'm definitely biased towards the Mojave part. I also really like the town of Joshua Tree. There are some nice little restaurants and stuff.

SPM
Jan 7, 2009
I'm posting this in LAN and the Cali A/T thread since they both seem quiet.

I'm arriving in San Diego, Monday morning and leaving Wednesday, as my last part of visiting the West coast.

I'm looking to go shopping a last time before I leave as stuff is cheaper here, specifically a pair of Nike shoes.

Any recommendations on a mall or area to visit?

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

SPM posted:

I'm posting this in LAN and the Cali A/T thread since they both seem quiet.

I'm arriving in San Diego, Monday morning and leaving Wednesday, as my last part of visiting the West coast.

I'm looking to go shopping a last time before I leave as stuff is cheaper here, specifically a pair of Nike shoes.

Any recommendations on a mall or area to visit?

Nordstrom Rack has Nikes for $50-60. But they're not crazy cool looking ones, just like running or walking.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
There's a Nike store in Mission Valley. Probably need to take a cab unless you have a rental.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
If you just want a pair of Air Max 90s or Free Runs, any shoe store will do. Finish Line, Foot Locker, Foot Action, etc... You'll even find some on sale for about $70-$95.

If you're looking to shop at a sneaker boutique, the famous ones (Diamond Supply, Undftd) are all in Los Angeles.

Here's a list of the ones in San Diego. I've done Blends before, as they have locations up by me. For any shoe that's real hot, you'd have to wait in line on a Saturday morning. Their regular inventory is still good. I can't speak for any of the other shops.

http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=Sneaker+Shop&find_loc=San+Diego%2C+CA

The Nike Factory Stores are mostly a waste of time unless you want the overstock stuff that no one else wanted. As an Asian, Asian tourists love that kind of stuff because they just want a clearance pair of Jordans and don't care about the shoe model or colorway. If that's your jam, then the Nike outlet is perfect. There isn't a proper Nike store in San Diego like you see in major cities LA/NY/CHI.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Yesterday I had to take off my sweater before riding my bike home from work.

California: Best State.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
it's finally under 60 degrees in NCAL (Sacramento) area, so people are obviously wearing full ski/polar parkas and boots and wool hats/gloves like they might freeze and die or something.

pussies.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I like wearing a jacket/hoodie and driving with my windows down at night.

Refreshing.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

CPColin posted:

Yesterday I had to take off my sweater before riding my bike home from work.

California: Best State.

My problem also, poo poo's tough sometimes.

Keyser S0ze posted:

it's finally under 60 degrees in NCAL (Sacramento) area, so people are obviously wearing full ski/polar parkas and boots and wool hats/gloves like they might freeze and die or something.

pussies.

Seriously, a bit of fog rolls in and people think it's Antarctica.

Illuminado fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Dec 25, 2014

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010
So my girlfriend got me tickets to a Sharks game in February. Being that we live in New Jersey, we're staying in San Jose for about 4 days. I know public transportation isn't great but I really don't want to rent a car. I also know nothing of San Jose/the Bay Area in general, so where should we look for a hotel at? Would staying near the SAP center or downtown be a good idea? Can we get there from the airport easily? What's there to do in the area? I was hoping to check out the Winchester House and Japantown. Is it feasible to take a train up to San Francisco for the day or something? Thanks!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Staying in San Jose will be easy and you could get to and from the airport and downtown and the sharks stadium by public transit very easily, SJO is quite close to SAP center. There is also a caltrain line that runs from san jose to san francisco: that is a 1.5 hour ride. The caltrain station (diridon station) is within a short walk of SAP center, so if you stay near there you won't even need to take a bus or light rail.

That said, renting a car is not a bad idea if you want to do anything other than what is directly on the caltrain line up and down the peninsula. I mean, if you're going to go to the symphony, the tech museum, maybe check out some shops around san jose state u, etc. you can just take the transit, and on caltrain you can visit palo alto, downtown san francisco, etc.; but the bay area is loaded with attractions and most of them are easier to get to by car.

If San Francsico is your main destination, taking the train will actually be about the same amount of time as driving, during a weekday commute. On a weekend or middle of the day, you can bop up 280 to SF in under an hour. Parking in the city sucks though, so plan ahead for garages near your destinations if you decide to go that route.

One thing you might do is just plan to rent a car 1 day for any side trips you want, plan for a day in SF, and plan for a day around town in san jose if there are some attractions there that you genuinely are excited to check out. Most people in the bay area don't deliberately go to downtown san jose when they're looking to have fun, though, I have to say; it's more of a business and residential city than an attraction and tourism city.

e. Oh, the Winchester Mystery House is a tourist trap. If you're excited about it, sure, go, but don't plan to want to spend more than maybe an hour there.

Japantown is cool, the Japantown in San Francisco is probably a bit better though.

Actually one thing you could do is just fly to SFO, stay in or near San Francisco, enjoy all the tourism sights there, and use Caltrain to go down to the Sharks game. Loads more stuff to do in SF. The hotels are probably more expensive though so it may depend on your budget.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Dec 30, 2014

Bicuspid
Aug 18, 2008
Hey goons! I'm moving to San Fran in 2 weeks from Canada for a new job. I don't know anybody there and outside of that one day during my interview I've never been to SF before. The first thing I'm going to have to do is find a place to live so maybe you guys can help me out with some recommendations!

I want to live within walking distance to my workplace which is apparently in 'the financial district'. I've heard that there are several neighborhoods around there and they are quite distinct (ie some of them are rear end). Can you guys give me some suggestions into areas to look into?

1) I don't really care if its sketchy or loud, as long as its not unsafe since I'll be walking my dog and stuff. I'm a guy.
2) I cant drive so I would like to be in 30 minute walk radius of 'the financial district'.
3) I'm looking to pay around $2000 rent, to maybe $2500 if its a very nice place. 1 bedroom is preferable, but a large studio would be okay too I guess.

I'm not super into nightlife and stuff either. I don't mind it but I'm fine living in a quieter neighborhood.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Bicuspid posted:

1) I don't really care if its sketchy or loud, as long as its not unsafe since I'll be walking my dog and stuff. I'm a guy.
2) I cant drive so I would like to be in 30 minute walk radius of 'the financial district'.
3) I'm looking to pay around $2000 rent, to maybe $2500 if its a very nice place. 1 bedroom is preferable, but a large studio would be okay too I guess.

Sketchy won't be optional with #2 and #3. Hope you like crackheads and tiny living spaces.

Bicuspid
Aug 18, 2008

withak posted:

Sketchy won't be optional with #2 and #3. Hope you like crackheads and tiny living spaces.

I used to live in Manhattan so both I and my dog are used to tiny living spaces. I mean unless we're talking under 300 sq ft.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It would not be unheard of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicuspid
Aug 18, 2008
Can you take dogs on the public transportation? I guess I could commute if that's the case. I want to take my dog to work because I might be pulling some long hours.

• Locked thread