Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whaam
Mar 18, 2008

Ahdinko posted:

Running a network of 25 sites on static routes sounds like it will be hell from an administrative point of view, especially when you add a new subnet/a line goes down/you open a new site. There are a lot of ways to design a network like that, but I'd budget for something that can at least do EIGRP stub in your remote sites like the 2960XR's (which seem to cost so much you might as well go for a 3750x)

If your remote sites are 10-30 guys, do they really need a 1gb line out of the site? I know every companies data requirements are different, but typically I'll run a site like that for any of my customers on a 10-20mb line, at which point you can just stick an 891 or 1941 in and have a full IP routing feature set.

I recently did almost exactly the same thing for a large customer of ours. 5 core sites of 200-500 users, 15 small sites of around 20 users. We put 4451-X's in the core sites on 1gb lines, and 1941's in the remote sites on 10mb lines. We rolled out PKI and virtual templates for VPN tunnels so setting up inter-site connectivity is really easy.
Its an uncommon situation that the remote sites actually need direct connectivity to each other as normally most of the traffic is between remote site and the datacentre to provide services to the users, but you could even setup full mesh VPN's if you really needed to.

They don't need a 1Gb connection, I had that wrong. We are doing 100Mb from the remote sites and 1Gb at the hubs, sorry. In your scenario those 10mb lines were just internet connections right? Hense the VPN? We are doing L2 connections, the bandwidth is because we are sending large amounts of data between sites for business functions (video an audio, its TV related).

If I plan on using a dynamic routing protocol, I shouldn't need any full L3 devices at the remote sites, correct? Since they have their default gateway set to the state hub, as long as the state hubs do all the route storing/sharing then all the remote sites can stay out of the routing domain? Or do they need to be a part of it to advertise their directly connected routes?

whaam fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Sep 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

You can put statics on your hub routers and then redistribute the statics into your IGP, if you like.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
Anyone found anything about whether the Shellshock exploit is vulnerable on Cisco gear?

whaam
Mar 18, 2008

jwh posted:

You can put statics on your hub routers and then redistribute the statics into your IGP, if you like.

Ahh perfect that's what I was hoping, thanks.

tongboy
May 1, 2003
paid like a dork
Grimey Drawer

Slickdrac posted:

Anyone found anything about whether the Shellshock exploit is vulnerable on Cisco gear?

We are sweating it out too. It's too early to know yet. I haven't seen anything official from Cisco yet except an acknowledgement that they are checking.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

They really can't fly with that answer. Every other vender we have in our environment has already identified which devices are vulnerable, which vectors are potentially open, and tossed patches over. Granted, most venders likely already knew about this and were being gagged by 3 letter agencies. But even then, Cisco almost certainly should have known about it. They at least have the resources to ID things quicker than this.

I'm already having to run a total outage, a mostly outage, and 30+ individual site outages tonight, I would have liked to not have to (potentially) do poo poo on the weekend for once.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Since I had to go digging for it tonight, here's Juniper's response and risk assessment per-product.

If anyone finds something relating to Force10 (:smithicide:) gear I'd appreciate a link.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

All Checkpoint firewalls as well are vulnerable. Though if you restrict your source IPs for management, you're okay. They have a patch out as well already.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Slickdrac posted:

They really can't fly with that answer. Every other vender we have in our environment has already identified which devices are vulnerable, which vectors are potentially open, and tossed patches over. Granted, most venders likely already knew about this and were being gagged by 3 letter agencies. But even then, Cisco almost certainly should have known about it. They at least have the resources to ID things quicker than this.

I'm already having to run a total outage, a mostly outage, and 30+ individual site outages tonight, I would have liked to not have to (potentially) do poo poo on the weekend for once.

I'm still waiting for a release of IOS 15.3 that has the heartbleed issue fixed.

edit: Cisco released 153-3.M4 today, 25 September closing the heartbleed bug. I expect 153-3.M5 for Shellshock around January 2015.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Nobody exposes their management ports to the world anyway, right?

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
^ That.

As for a list of vulnerable cisco products, wouldn't one be able to surmise which type of tear may be vulnerable by knowing if there's some unix flavor underneath? IOS and IOS XR shouldn't be, but IOS XE (IOS running as a daemon on linux) is likely to be?

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

falz posted:

^ That.

As for a list of vulnerable cisco products, wouldn't one be able to surmise which type of tear may be vulnerable by knowing if there's some unix flavor underneath? IOS and IOS XR shouldn't be, but IOS XE (IOS running as a daemon on linux) is likely to be?

IOS-XR is QNX under the hood, but the only shell I can find in QNX (on my 9k at least) is ksh.

Apparently I don't have the right license to access the IOS-XE shell, but based on other people's observations of it, it uses bash as a shell so it would be vulnerable (if you could find some way to get to it from the network).

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
F5 put this out:

http://support.f5.com/kb/en-us/solutions/public/15000/600/sol15629.html
https://devcentral.f5.com/articles/shellshock-mitigation-with-big-ip-irules

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
For Shellshock:

quote:

The following Cisco products are currently under investigation:

Cable Modems
Cisco CWMS
Network Application, Service, and Acceleration
Cisco ACE GSS 4400 Series Global Site Selector
Cisco ASA
Cisco GSS 4492R Global Site Selector
Network and Content Security Devices
Cisco IronPort Encryption Appliance
Cisco Ironport WSA
Routing and Switching - Enterprise and Service Provider
Cisco ACE Application Control Engine Module for the Cisco Catalyst 6500
Cisco ISM
Cisco NCS6000
Voice and Unified Communications Devices
Cisco Finesse
Cisco MediaSense
Cisco SocialMiner
Cisco Unified Contact Center Express (UCCX)

Products and services listed in the subsections below have had their exposure to this vulnerability confirmed. Additional products will be added to these sections as the investigation continues.
Vulnerable Products:

Cable Modems
Cisco Edge 300 Digital Media Player [CSCur02761]
Cisco Edge 340 Digital Media Player [CSCur02751]
Cisco Telepresence endpoints (C series, EX series, MX series, MXG2 series, SX series) and the 10" touch panel [CSCur02591]
Network Application, Service, and Acceleration
Cisco ASA CX [CSCur01959]
Cisco Application Control Engine (ACE30/ ACE 4710) [CSCur02195]
Cisco Wide Area Application Services (WAAS) [CSCur02917]
Network and Content Security Devices
Cisco Identity Services Engine (ISE) [CSCur00532]
Cisco Intrusion Prevention System Solutions (IPS) [CSCur00552]
Cisco Secure Access Control Server (ACS) [CSCur00511]
Network Management and Provisioning
Cisco Unified Intelligence Center (UIC) [CSCur02891]
Routing and Switching - Enterprise and Service Provider
Cisco ASR 1000 Series Routers [CSCur02734]
Cisco Application Policy Infrastructure Controller [CSCur01249]
Cisco MDS [CSCur01099]
Cisco Nexus 7000 [CSCuq98748]
Cisco Nexus 9000 [CSCur02700]
Cisco Nexus 9K [CSCur02102]
Unified Computing
Cisco Unified Computing System (UCS) [CSCur01379]
Voice and Unified Communications Devices
Cisco Unified Communications Manager (UCM) 10.0 [CSCur00930]
Cisco Unified Communications Manager Session Management Edition (SME) [CSCur00930]
Video, Streaming, TelePresence, and Transcoding Devices
Cisco TelePresence Video Communication Server (VCS/Expressway) [CSCur01461]
Cisco TelePresence Conductor [CSCur02103]
Wireless
Cisco Wireless LAN Controller [CSCur02981]

Products Confirmed Not Vulnerable
The following Cisco products have been analyzed and are not affected by this vulnerability:

Cisco IOS
Cisco IronPort ESA/SMA
Cisco Private Internet eXchange (PIX)
Cisco Sourcefire Defense Center and Sensor products

At least our PIX's are safe!

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Sep 26, 2014

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Palo Alto released a statement today as well, though it's only vulnerable if you allow anyone to authenticate to PANOS via ssh.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Here's some advisories I've collected to save some time:

Blue Coat: https://kb.bluecoat.com/index?page=content&id=SA82&actp=RSS
Check Point: https://supportcenter.checkpoint.com/supportcenter/portal?eventSubmit_doGoviewsolutiondetails=&solutionid=sk102673
Cisco: http://tools.cisco.com/security/center/content/CiscoSecurityAdvisory/cisco-sa-20140926-bash
Polycom: http://supportdocs.polycom.com/PolycomService/support/global/documents/support/documentation/Security_Bulletin_bash_shellshocked_v1_0.pdf
Riverbed: https://supportkb.riverbed.com/support/index?page=content&id=S24997

Also this guy is posting advisory updates for several vendors: http://www.mnemonic.no/en/Andre-sprak/English/Blog/Status-on-products-versus-vulnerability-in-Bash-CVE-2014-6271/

skooky
Oct 2, 2013

Docjowles posted:

If anyone finds something relating to Force10 (:smithicide:) gear I'd appreciate a link.

Force10 is fine - something official is being worked on at the moment.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

jwh posted:

Palo Alto released a statement today as well, though it's only vulnerable if you allow anyone to authenticate to PANOS via ssh.

Same thing as A10s.

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

LOL

:owned: Cisco

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

Not really. A very small subset of products is vulnerable - less so than Heartbleed.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Some very important ones , though . And the "owned" part will be us waiting around trying to see when or if a patch will be available (on some products, no, you have to upgrade instead). Even if bash is vulnerable to exploit, again, you have to get somewhere where you can exploit it, and under most circumstances in a wrapped tomcat application or their dummy "shells" they give you, I would hope that opportunity isn't there for anyone to fudge with it, so it's still something to be aware of.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default
Traffic shaping question. We have a 20Mbps link to our ISP, burstable to 100Mbps. We're billed at 95th percentile. We recently ran into a large overage, as our outbound 95th usage was 56Mbps for the month. We want to shape the traffic so that we can avoid overages like this. If I use 'shape average', I know I can limit it to, say, 20Mbps and know we'll never have an overage - but then we lose bursts. If I do 'shape peak', I can throttle the bursts, but not guarantee that we'll go over. Is there middle ground, or a formula I can use to figure out the best values for peak shaping? This is on a 1941 router.

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
I'm gonna hit you until candy comes out.
Anyone have an old ACS 4.2.0 appliance DVD laying around? We need to do a password recovery for the CLI, which you apparently need the disc for, but can't find the thing. Or if anyone knows where to get one fairly inexpensively that'd work too.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Richard Noggin posted:

Traffic shaping question. We have a 20Mbps link to our ISP, burstable to 100Mbps. We're billed at 95th percentile. We recently ran into a large overage, as our outbound 95th usage was 56Mbps for the month. We want to shape the traffic so that we can avoid overages like this. If I use 'shape average', I know I can limit it to, say, 20Mbps and know we'll never have an overage - but then we lose bursts. If I do 'shape peak', I can throttle the bursts, but not guarantee that we'll go over. Is there middle ground, or a formula I can use to figure out the best values for peak shaping? This is on a 1941 router.

Not really, no. Shape peak will allow you to use the bandwidth if it's available, and because this is likely an ethernet interface, there's no true back pressure.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Panthrax posted:

Anyone have an old ACS 4.2.0 appliance DVD laying around? We need to do a password recovery for the CLI, which you apparently need the disc for, but can't find the thing. Or if anyone knows where to get one fairly inexpensively that'd work too.

I'll take a look Monday.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Does anyone have a recommendation for any device (preferably a full firewall) that has full RSA integration? That can pop up a splash page with login and things for next pin, reset pin, create pin, etc.?

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
I vaguely recall the RSA appliance itself has a web portal for such purposes built in.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

inignot posted:

I vaguely recall the RSA appliance itself has a web portal for such purposes built in.

Correct, the RSA software/appliance has a Self-Service console to allow the user to resync, reset, etc.

Slickdrac posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for any device (preferably a full firewall) that has full RSA integration? That can pop up a splash page with login and things for next pin, reset pin, create pin, etc.?

Are you looking to use RSA for management of the firewall or authenticate VPN connections?

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

H.R. Paperstacks posted:

Are you looking to use RSA for management of the firewall or authenticate VPN connections?

Auth for inbound connections to private public facing IPs for Web, FTP, SSH, etc. that doesn't go via our VPN. Firewall functionality is more a perk as we need a new pair of Non Checkpoint firewalls to replace the CPs in that zone.

ior
Nov 21, 2003

What's a fuckass?

Slickdrac posted:

Auth for inbound connections to private public facing IPs for Web, FTP, SSH, etc. that doesn't go via our VPN. Firewall functionality is more a perk as we need a new pair of Non Checkpoint firewalls to replace the CPs in that zone.

Out of curiosity - why replace Check point?

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Slickdrac posted:

For instances like that, you would install the RSA agents on the systems, not the firewall. The firewall would just handle the standard src/dst filtering, the actual authentication is going to be handled by the system itself.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

ior posted:

Out of curiosity - why replace Check point?

That's a much nicer way of asking that than I did. It probably would have gotten about the same amount of non answer that I got though.

H.R. Paperstacks posted:

For instances like that, you would install the RSA agents on the systems, not the firewall. The firewall would just handle the standard src/dst filtering, the actual authentication is going to be handled by the system itself.

We must proxy it through a "Pane of glass"

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Slickdrac posted:

We must proxy it through a "Pane of glass"

You want a remote client to SSH to an IP (is it a NAT'd Public --> RFC1918 IP?), but you first want the firewall/<device> to terminate the SSH session and perform RSA Two-Factor Authentication before passing the SSH session to the destination IP? How is the client expected to authenticate to the destination IP?

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Auth at the device and then something with it, the RSA internal service, and Ping Federate are all working together or something to pass the authed user into the destination. I'm not actually the one running the whole idea, just got asked if I could find out about such a firewall device. Right now these pages are authing inside and are privatized by white listing IPs, which isn't really ideal.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Slickdrac posted:

Auth at the device and then something with it, the RSA internal service, and Ping Federate are all working together or something to pass the authed user into the destination. I'm not actually the one running the whole idea, just got asked if I could find out about such a firewall device. Right now these pages are authing inside and are privatized by white listing IPs, which isn't really ideal.

What you are wanting to do really isn't possible with a firewall since you do not terminate sessions to it other than transparently doing NAT/PAT and some SSL Proxying. Firewall integration with an RSA appliance is mainly for authenticating management connections on the control plane, not client connections flowing through it. RSA integration for SSH/HTTP/HTTPS is all handled by a agent service that runs on the server itself.

You could look into something more along the lines of a load balancer, like an F5 BIP-IP, but even then, it will only be good for MITM'ing a HTTP/HTTPS request.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Funny, that's exactly who they were calling this morning. I'm trying to just stay out of the way of this now so I don't end up in the blast zone when this idea blows up.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Is any one else here a UC guy, primarily Cisco but ... Lync/Polycom inter op as well ? This stuff is a massive pain in the rear end to wrap around which product almost sort of works for a bunch of money, and which are terrible.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

H.R. Paperstacks posted:

What you are wanting to do really isn't possible with a firewall since you do not terminate sessions to it other than transparently doing NAT/PAT and some SSL Proxying. Firewall integration with an RSA appliance is mainly for authenticating management connections on the control plane, not client connections flowing through it. RSA integration for SSH/HTTP/HTTPS is all handled by a agent service that runs on the server itself.

You could look into something more along the lines of a load balancer, like an F5 BIP-IP, but even then, it will only be good for MITM'ing a HTTP/HTTPS request.

This isn't strictly true. You can use RSA for auth in an RAVPN scenario. Also you could do what he is asking by using the auth proxy feature on ASA with a dash of the IDFW stuff. We did that with the client authenticating to a webportal hosted by the ASA. AD group membership would determine the ACL applied to the session. No reason I can think of that it wouldn't work just fine with RSA/SecurID integration. Unless I'm completely blowing it on what he's trying to do.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Tremblay posted:

This isn't strictly true. You can use RSA for auth in an RAVPN scenario. Also you could do what he is asking by using the auth proxy feature on ASA with a dash of the IDFW stuff. We did that with the client authenticating to a webportal hosted by the ASA. AD group membership would determine the ACL applied to the session. No reason I can think of that it wouldn't work just fine with RSA/SecurID integration. Unless I'm completely blowing it on what he's trying to do.

Yeah, I could be misunderstanding him as well, but to me it sounds like he wants to perform authentication at the firewall, and if successful, be forwarded on to the actual system hosting the destination service. Are the services behind setup without any authentication mechanism of their own? I could see that with HTTP/HTTPS but not SSH/FTP like he mentions, since you have to provide UN/PW/keys for authentication on the system hosting the actual destination service as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkstar Deluxe
May 7, 2007

「☆☆☆」
I've been tasked to replace an old Cisco 3500XL-series gigabit switch, and seeing as I've never worked with something of this magnitude I figured I could ask in here

What would be viable options to look into?

In terms of budget, I don't really have a limit but I thinking something in the $750-1500 range would be feasible.