Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orv
May 4, 2011
I might do a new OP for launch and I'm totally stealing Kicking rear end and Tolkien Names if I do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Orv posted:

I might do a new OP for launch and I'm totally stealing Kicking rear end and Tolkien Names if I do.

What is it about puns that simultaneously makes me approve of their use AND makes me want to punch their users in the teeth? :mad:

The Polygon Review posted:

In another instance, I became overwhelmed and ran away from a berserker named Ratanak the Thunderer. Every time Ratanak and I crossed paths afterward, he was certain to remind me of my cowardice. He even developed a trait that made him more likely to hunt me down of his own volition, which led him to popping up at the worst times, trying to impede my progress mid-mission. It would have been frustrating if it wasn't so drat cool.

I approve of everything in this paragraph :woop:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

What is it about puns that simultaneously makes me approve of their use AND makes me want to punch their users in the teeth? :mad:

Puns cause me mental anguish, but a good one is really just a fine art.

blat blat blat
Apr 20, 2013
It sounds like the game actually starts fairly difficult and then gets progressively easier. I like that in games cause its like youre essentially trying to beat the games mechanics.

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!
Destructoid: 6/10
http://www.destructoid.com/review-middle-earth-shadow-of-mordor-281235.phtml

I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but seems to be quite a bit different than everyone else.

Edit: As pointed out below, please feel free to ignore this garbage.

Krazuel fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Sep 26, 2014

Orv
May 4, 2011
Sounds like he wasn't a fan of the game-y aspects of the Nemesis system.

It is Destructoid though, so in light of literally everyone else loving it, I'm not terribly surprised.

time is a wastin
Sep 11, 2011

Jotto posted:

I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but seems to be quite a bit different than everyone else.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Jotto posted:

He seemed to mostly dislike the Nemesis system for feeling gimmicky. Destructoid low ratings aside, I get the feeling that how we're going to feel about it is entirely going to depend on whether an actual nemesis, a Dr. Claw if you will, develops in our own games, or not. So if you're too Good At Video Games the nemesis system might not quite work. Guess we'll see!

Me I'm bad at video games so this should be a ten out of ten, easy :V

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

5/10 for Vanquish is even worse. Please ignore Destructoid forever.

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!
Yeah seemed a bit off since it was soo different rating wise, and that terrible review on dark souls kinda seals the deal. Destructoid sucks.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Orv posted:

Do this please, the pun is to good to pass up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's better to check a reviewer than a review outlet. Reviewers can have very different opinions on games even within the same outlet.

I've rarely found myself agreeing with Chris Carter (he also panned Link Between Worlds and praised Street Fighter x Tekken) but YMMV.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It would seem he is their Jim Sterling Who Isn't Jim Sterling. Which is to say his thing is to be "brutally honest all the time", or if you will, draw page hits.

Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

I would crawl ass-naked over a sea of broken glass just to kiss a dick

:retrogames:

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Orv posted:

I wasn't sure if I was gonna be able to make a new thread myself, so if you do make a launch thread feel free to borrow anything from my OP that's useful.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Orv posted:

It would seem he is their Jim Sterling Who Isn't Jim Sterling. Which is to say his thing is to be "brutally honest all the time", or if you will, draw page hits.

Meanwhile, Jim Sterling's really excited to play the game because it's reviewed so well.

I was honestly ready to see 5s for this. Now I'm considering getting it day one. :(

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

It is kind of important to listen to the voices of dissent because on occasion they might turn out to have the same opinion you wind up doing.

...hahaha, the official 8-minute video is titled "Everything you need to know to WALK INTO MORDOR." I appreciate the self-awareness.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Gesadt
Jan 3, 2014
heres to hoping pc version isnt a horrible mess

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Here's to hoping the m+kb controls are good. I can't believe this game flew under my radar until now.

Gesadt
Jan 3, 2014

Anti-Hero posted:

Here's to hoping the m+kb controls are good. I can't believe this game flew under my radar until now.

eh, dont think theres any reason not to have gamepad with your pc for precisely this type of game (or darksouls)

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Anti-Hero posted:

While for this type of games I prefer a gamepad the Arkham games had pretty good kb/m controls, so unless they made some stupid changes I'm sure it will be fine with kb/m.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Thank you for managing to objectively prove that I should never listen to Destructiod with a single picture. I like how even the review blurb doesn't believe itself. "Well, it might lack replay value, and it could have some faults, maybe". Dude even says "or" instead of "and". Which of these problems does it have? I can't even tell.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Sep 26, 2014

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Wasn't Jim Sterling from Destructoid? ya..he was, wasn't he.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Mr E posted:

I'm even more excited for the game now, but who the gently caress has 6 GB of ram.

But seriously

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Nvidia has improved the compression algorithms in maxwell2, so maybe the ultra textures will fit to just 4GB of vram! Of course one could always buy a Titan Z.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Mr E posted:

I'm even more excited for the game now, but who the gently caress has 6 GB of ram.

I erm, I have 16gb of RAM... It's not that expensive...

VRAM on the other hand, I can see your point. Then again I have no idea if you can substitute normal ram for VRAM. I just tried googling but all I got were a bunch of threads with people asking for help that had people being all :smug: and not giving them real answers.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Thank you for managing to objectively prove that I should never listen to Destructiod with a single picture. I like how even the review blurb doesn't believe itself. "Well, it might lack replay value, and it could have some faults, maybe". Dude even says "or" instead of "and". Which of these problems does it have? I can't even tell.

You can't tell because it's a generic blurb that applies to all reviews with that score. That doesn't make it any less stupid or lazy though!

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I think it's interesting that IGN is the only outlet that specifically reviewed the PC version. It looks like RPS was actually right.

quote:

But unfortunately it looks like we (and possibly no one else, unless a sneaky deal has been done with specific publications) won’t be able to give you a buyer’s guide at the point where you can buy. Which rather defeats the point of reviews.
The game appears to be well received almost universally, so it might not seem to matter much, but I thought it was worth noting. I'm personally going to wait until other outlets get their hands on the PC version in case IGN glossed over any glaring issues or sloppy porting, in which case I'll grab the PS4 version.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
This game seems interesting, but I have zero interest in the Lord of the Ring aspects here. What a terrible use of the licence.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Tezzeract posted:

This game seems interesting, but I have zero interest in the Lord of the Ring aspects here. What a terrible use of the licence.

Nah. It's fine.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
I was hyped for this and was gonna hold off my purchase however believe it or not the IGN video review has pushed me to preorder this.

I loved the Batman combat and if the combat is just as fluid I know I'll enjoy playing this.

First thing I do after the tutorial is rock up to a fort and fight loads of orcs until I meet my end and create my first nemesis :black101:

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Meh, even the new GTX 980 only sports 4 GB of Ram, I wonder what textures will look like on medium settings on my 2 GB GTX 770.

bugs
Aug 10, 2010

Tezzeract posted:

Less than a week from release and only now you let them know you aint down with the Lord of the Ring aspects here? Maybe give them a call before they start next time so they don't have to throw away several years of work

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Has anyone noticed that aside from the dumb random who cares poo poo on their website IGN has been really good for reviews for a while. I feel dirty saying it but for the last 6 months or so if I'm looking for news, previews, reviews, etc I go straight there. I can't really hate them anymore.

Also LotR rules and we need more orc smashing not more batman

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

So I have a 2500k OCed to 4.4ghz with a 760gtx and a ps4. Which system should I get it for???? Im thinking pc because its always been the answer but the whole texture VRAM thing has me thinking.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Cao Ni Ma posted:

So I have a 2500k OCed to 4.4ghz with a 760gtx and a ps4. Which system should I get it for???? Im thinking pc because its always been the answer but the whole texture VRAM thing has me thinking.

I would wait until we see some graphics comparison between the PS4 and Pc.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Has anyone noticed that aside from the dumb random who cares poo poo on their website IGN has been really good for reviews for a while. I feel dirty saying it but for the last 6 months or so if I'm looking for news, previews, reviews, etc I go straight there. I can't really hate them anymore.

Also LotR rules and we need more orc smashing not more batman

Dan Stapleton, Jose Otero, Marty Sliva, Richard Cobbett, and Rob Zacny are all very good. After 1UP officially closed and Jose + Marty (full disclosure, I once worked for them #GamerGate) went to IGN the site started to reach out to some talented freelancers.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
A good PC will still be able to run the textures on high, or what have you. The leap to uncompressed is a rather big one (like high rate MP3 to FLAC, for example). I'd be surprised if the PS4 is running uncompressed since the system only has 8 GB of shared RAM, total.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

was so hyped on this before but the ridiculous scores its been getting make me hopeful that this and The Evil Within run away with this year as sleeper megahits, ordering dis now

• Locked thread