Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jubilee3rd
Dec 12, 2003
Well, PVP needs some tweaking but overall I like it a lot. Multi-level claims are very fun to play in simply because the sword does temporary damage to the ground causing lots of holes for people to fall through. The secondary attack on the bow is BEAST and landing shots with that takes a huge chunk of health away. Don't really care too much for the conjurer's staff but the secondary attack has a nice slow snare effect that really locks you up.

And falling damage is cool too. Been a few times where I've died forgetting that my long jumps off mountains are going to hurt. If anyone has some claims set up, we should definitely have a meetup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Oh poo poo, combat is in? Gonna have to check this game out again.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
The grappling hook now uses... mana? I guess? Even if you miss and it applies outside pvp. Basically you can't really grapple travel around the map anymore. As if it weren't already slow to begin with.

Worst update ever.

There is apparently a zone somewhere where a person was allowed to exceed the limit on space used. They took advantage of it, and while it looks nice, everyone who's been there reported severe performance decreases. Explains why they've been so slow doling out more attached claims.

Is there any interest in getting a goon guild started? It's been kinda quiet but I figured someone would've volunteered by now.

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

Are you talking about the city on Rebellion - Delta? Because they weren't given more claims, those dudes are using a bug to permanently build outside of their claim boundaries. Why they're allowed to do so by SOE is beyond me.

My impression from the patch is that combat seems cool, but with every patch performance has gotten progressively worse, so I can't really judge. Falling damage seems quite harsh, but fortunately grappling towards the ground before you hit it prevents you from taking any damage. And drat is that UI big and ugly, hopefully that's the next thing they focus on after optimization.

Freakazoid_ posted:

Is there any interest in getting a goon guild started? It's been kinda quiet but I figured someone would've volunteered by now.

We need to have the traditional multi-page shitposting slapfight about what incredibly stupid guild name to use in [upcoming new MMO] before someone will go "gently caress it, I started a guild called Goon Squad".

AtmaTheWanderer
Nov 6, 2003
FFXI Mithra Mangina
Pillbug

itsnice2bnice posted:

We need to have the traditional multi-page shitposting slapfight about what incredibly stupid guild name to use in [upcoming new MMO] before someone will go "gently caress it, I started a guild called Goon Squad".

poo poo, I did that like before SOE Live.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I was considering buying into this next time it hits a steam sale. Are the extras you get from the more expensive packs worth a poo poo or is it mostly just bullshit cosmetics? Is the combat that is in mostly just PVP or is there regular poo poo to fight now?

Worse comes to worse, I don't mind tossing SOE $20 to see what this is about and upgrade on steam sale later.

In my mind's eye, if I bought into this, my effort would be going towards trying to recreate Plane of Mischief from EQ1 because that was such a odd and fun little zone.

sakeyake
Feb 1, 2004

DeathSandwich posted:

I was considering buying into this next time it hits a steam sale. Are the extras you get from the more expensive packs worth a poo poo or is it mostly just bullshit cosmetics? Is the combat that is in mostly just PVP or is there regular poo poo to fight now?

The ring with 10% gathering boost is nice, but odds are you'll be able to craft or buy better at some point. Outfits are cosmetic and you can buy pockets for extra space whenever you want. The best reason to get the expensive packs was the insanely early Alpha access, but that's not relevant anymore.

Combat is just PVP right now and it's in a very basic form for testing purposes. They haven't added monsters yet.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

My claim. Honestly, not as impressive as some others.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I got a code in my e-mail for 7 days of closed beta access and I have zero interest in this game.

CE76-T22K-T6CJ-GHRZ-MA6X

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
There are now bathroom items (tub, sink and toilet) and also chains and rope so you can hang yourself in your bathroom.

Also this month is officially Bug Fixing Month but they still haven't fixed whatever causes my drivers to crash :argh:

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010
I assume other people got given links like this but it looks like you can get 7 days of free access per station account you have through a link like this.

https://www.landmarkthegame.com/yogscast?cid=1065960

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Is this game still boring?

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

There's PVP in now, which is promising but also quite rough and unbalanced. Some people have built some nifty arenas to fight in, but there's not a lot of people to play with whenever I've checked.

The only thing I've really done in the past few months is finally finishing my robot and paying upkeep. It's hard to believe this has been out for 6 months and for sale in Walmart.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

itsnice2bnice posted:

There's PVP in now, which is promising but also quite rough and unbalanced. Some people have built some nifty arenas to fight in, but there's not a lot of people to play with whenever I've checked.

The only thing I've really done in the past few months is finally finishing my robot and paying upkeep. It's hard to believe this has been out for 6 months and for sale in Walmart.

It's for sale for real? I thought it was Alpha. Curse you Notch and your complete redefinition of words like Alpha and Beta!!!

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

Yeah, there are Landmark gamecards for sale in Walmart and GameStop that give beta access and some ingame stuff for $20.

Selling unfinished games on the internet to dumb hyped up nerds like me is one thing, but selling them to uninformed moms and dads at Walmart seems kinda lovely to me.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Jackson Taus posted:

It's for sale for real? I thought it was Alpha. Curse you Notch and your complete redefinition of words like Alpha and Beta!!!

The words still mean the same, notch just demonstrated that nerds will pay for anything as long as the box is shiny and the bulletpoints contains key phrases such as 'open world' and 'crafting system'

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Krowley posted:

The words still mean the same, notch just demonstrated that nerds will pay for anything as long as the box is shiny and the bulletpoints contains key phrases such as 'open world' and 'crafting system'

this is why i'm desperately trying to stop myself from paying 40 bucks for Life is Feudal

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Azerban posted:

this is why i'm desperately trying to stop myself from paying 40 bucks for Life is Feudal

Yeah, I saw that pop up on Steam the other day and would have totally impulse-purchased it except (a) it was like $40 instead of $15-20 and (b) there's no Games thread. Is it actually poo poo? I know it's super-ambitious and incomplete (and not worth $40 in the present state).

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Jackson Taus posted:

Yeah, I saw that pop up on Steam the other day and would have totally impulse-purchased it except (a) it was like $40 instead of $15-20 and (b) there's no Games thread. Is it actually poo poo? I know it's super-ambitious and incomplete (and not worth $40 in the present state).

I talked to a guy on my friends list who bought it, and he said there definitely wasn't 40 bucks worth of game in there and was a bit janky, but he keeps playing it a bunch? It definitely seems to be my poo poo, though.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
A few days old, but Omeed has jumped ship. Sounds like upper management issues. Not sure what this means for the game.

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

I doubt it means much for Landmark or Next, they can't afford to scrap the reboot of their flagship IP.

Omeed's job was to create buzz for the brand and there's currently not much hype surrounding either game. Although I'd say that's more due to the state of Landmark rather than its marketing.

But his community-first marketing approach was about focusing on Twitch and Twitter for publicity. Considering the fact that there's currently 61 people viewing Landmark on Twitch versus Minecraft's 4892 I can see why he got poo poo from his superiors.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

itsnice2bnice posted:

I doubt it means much for Landmark or Next, they can't afford to scrap the reboot of their flagship IP.

Omeed's job was to create buzz for the brand and there's currently not much hype surrounding either game. Although I'd say that's more due to the state of Landmark rather than its marketing.

But his community-first marketing approach was about focusing on Twitch and Twitter for publicity. Considering the fact that there's currently 61 people viewing Landmark on Twitch versus Minecraft's 4892 I can see why he got poo poo from his superiors.

I feel like they blew their pre-release hype wad wayyy too early. They had this get hype rush about a year ago and nothing has really happened since. They really need to have brought more to the table by now if they wanted to keep the hype for the game up.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

Freakazoid_ posted:

A few days old, but Omeed has jumped ship. Sounds like upper management issues. Not sure what this means for the game.

He's just marketing. I would guess his hands were probably tied all the time since game devs have a lot more final say over announcements and stuff, so he got bored?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

DeathSandwich posted:

I feel like they blew their pre-release hype wad wayyy too early. They had this get hype rush about a year ago and nothing has really happened since. They really need to have brought more to the table by now if they wanted to keep the hype for the game up.
Either that or waited until now for the pre-release. I mean, the game was fairly bare-bones when it first came out. If they had "launched" with caves and swimming and PvP, there would probably be more momentum behind it rather than just building stuff. There hasn't been much to actually "do" for a long time now.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Is Omeed the guy with the hard on for twitchers? Cause if so good riddance.

Leonard Ghostal
Apr 26, 2006

Sancho posted:

Is this game still boring?

Very yes

CupBoy
Aug 7, 2002

It's a bloody cup.

Nalin posted:

I mean, the game was fairly bare-bones when it first came out.

The "alpha" was basically just a tech demo. Perhaps the decision to delay the H1Z1 release was partly due to how things went down with Landmark.

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

They put up a video about AI stuff and how questing will work in EQNext:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gJgZDZdnHc

The rallying calls remind me of GW2's public events, but with more variables and the whole thing sounds pretty cool to me. Although I'm skeptical that the vast majority of the rallying calls won't repeat themselves in a sort of back and forth between the different groups. Like, it would be kinda boring if the dark elves crush the other groups and then that's that.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

DeathSandwich posted:

Without question. I watched Soe live streams at work for hours last year I was so excited. This year I forgot live even happened (and also forget I even have EQ Landmark installed).

Fake edit: I played about two hours today and two problems stick out.

First, there's still a ton of visual lag. That makes the game very clunky and hard to play efficiently, which absolutely does not work for a building game or a sandbox or an mmo.

Second, the world is huge, but it's huge and same looking and it doesn't encourage interaction. I saw zero people today, and that was with me actively looking in an effort to stab someone.

joshtothemaxx fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Oct 7, 2014

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

itsnice2bnice posted:

They put up a video about AI stuff and how questing will work in EQNext:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gJgZDZdnHc

The rallying calls remind me of GW2's public events, but with more variables and the whole thing sounds pretty cool to me. Although I'm skeptical that the vast majority of the rallying calls won't repeat themselves in a sort of back and forth between the different groups. Like, it would be kinda boring if the dark elves crush the other groups and then that's that.

I haven't watched the entire video, but I do like the NPC talk. Essentially it sounds like an advanced form of Radiant AI. But didn't The Elder Scrolls developers say that was too hard to do for an MMO? Pffft, I scoff at them.

It sounds like a system where you can add a bunch of variables that will affect behavior; it's sounding like a Sims meets Radiant AI system. I hope they pull it off because on paper (video) it sounds very interesting like they've been reading our How to Improve MMOs thread. One of my biggest complaints about MMOs now is that every NPC is static. I like how they've worked around that now.

It's about time!

E: I know some people are upset that they announced this so early, but every time they do share some new ideas and tech I seem to be impressed.

/looks at ticket prices for the hype train

e2: The map system is like Planetside's where you or NPCs can gain control over areas and spread your influence in on going dynamic war/resource system. Some of the ideas here are out there for a fantasy MMO.

An Ounce of Gold fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Oct 7, 2014

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

SymfonyMan posted:

I haven't watched the entire video, but I do like the NPC talk. Essentially it sounds like an advanced form of Radiant AI. But didn't The Elder Scrolls developers say that was too hard to do for an MMO? Pffft, I scoff at them.

It sounds like a system where you can add a bunch of variables that will affect behavior; it's sounding like a Sims meets Radiant AI system. I hope they pull it off because on paper (video) it sounds very interesting like they've been reading our How to Improve MMOs thread. One of my biggest complaints about MMOs now is that every NPC is static. I like how they've worked around that now.

It's about time!

E: I know some people are upset that they announced this so early, but every time they do share some new ideas and tech I seem to be impressed.

/looks at ticket prices for the hype train

e2: The map system is like Planetside's where you or NPCs can gain control over areas and spread your influence in on going dynamic war/resource system. Some of the ideas here are out there for a fantasy MMO.

I wonder how they will handle the war between factions on PVE servers if both sides are calling for player help. Maybe some system where you need to do x but if you're flagged for PVP everything you do counts double since you're now a strategic target for other players on the enemy side.

I also wonder how things reset in the Bloody Kithicor example they used. The logic in the event seems to go like this:

-Dark Elves want to despoil Kithicor of it's nature magic to fuel their own.

-After X amount of despoiling "Whoops, we awakened ancient undead horrors that are now rising up against us, better team up with the dudes we've been despoiling to push them back"

-After the ancient horrors from the cursed land get defeated and their base razed: "Let's continue despoiling the forest for it's ancient nature magic, this horror we just fought off couldn't possibly happen again."

It seems kind of weird that a group would continue to do their dastardly deeds after facing down their hubris and tentatively making peace with their original enemy.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

DeathSandwich posted:

It seems kind of weird that a group would continue to do their dastardly deeds after facing down their hubris and tentatively making peace with their original enemy.

america in the middle east

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

DeathSandwich posted:

It seems I was too hopeful they would be able to pull off a system where mobs/civs are migratory. So after defeating the ancient evil, instead of nature or them coming back, we could've gotten like a sand giant faction or a troll faction suddenly appear. Even better would be some sort of border-relevant invasions. Having each zone have fixed forces is effectively no different than what GW2 does now.

I hope down the road they'll be able to implement something more context sensitive to change things up. A dark elf that doesn't bow when presented with the scepter of authority could spark a rebellion among their ranks, or an emissary from another faction looking to make a mutual defense pact so you can see either forces in either lands once in a while.

Also, looking at the dark elf designs, it seems Landmark has the inferior product. There are some designs in there that are impossible to get in Landmark. I suspect a bunch of designers said gently caress it to voxels and fell back on traditional polygons.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Freakazoid_ posted:

Also, looking at the dark elf designs, it seems Landmark has the inferior product. There are some designs in there that are impossible to get in Landmark. I suspect a bunch of designers said gently caress it to voxels and fell back on traditional polygons.

They could still be voxels. The voxel engine still uses polygons to draw the scene. Most voxel engines let you easily import traditional 3D models, upon which they become normal voxel objects.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
The engine supports non-voxel content in the world as well. Just look at the trees and nexus in Landmark, they're not voxel-based. I imagine most of EQNext's architecture is going to be "mostly voxel, with non-voxel accents for detail", or even just entirely pre-fabbed models for things like orc tents and whatnot.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

biznatchio posted:

The engine supports non-voxel content in the world as well. Just look at the trees and nexus in Landmark, they're not voxel-based. I imagine most of EQNext's architecture is going to be "mostly voxel, with non-voxel accents for detail", or even just entirely pre-fabbed models for things like orc tents and whatnot.

Nah, destructable orc tents made possible with the magic of voxels or bust. I want to be able to fight an orc in one of those tents and have nothing left of the orc and the tent by the end of the fight but a smoking crater.

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

There's a bunch of dark elf props in that video that aren't in Landmark, but you can check out the voxel parts that the castle was built from in the Foundation Museum ingame (it's an island in the world selection screen). Georgeson said the finished castle will also be put there when multiple claims in close proximity of each other no longer cause performance issues.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Haven't messed with this much since early Alpha, worth digging into yet? Seeing that there wasn't a thread made for the Beta transition or PvP I'm a little worried this thing is kind of DOA. I kind of want to chill out, explore, and build stuff and the game was fun to navigate in alpha even if the world was kind of simple.

Is there any big list of stuff added and when I could check out?

Also, have Claims changed? Is there a big cluster of goon claims somewhere to get in on? I know it was a pain in the rear end trying to get that stuff set up originally, and with larger claim sizes available I'm worried it just got worse over time.

Red Herring
Apr 3, 2010
Still a building and spelunking game, though it needs more fleshing out.

I've been playing the hell out of it building my Dwarf city and sperging out. The difference between Artistic and Autistic is U!

I'm GONDOR ingame, pop by / friends me. PVP is alright, but really laggy from multiple light effects. Caves add a lot of exploring to the game, it's a lot easier to move between claims in a cluster now and less of a pain due to teleporting to listed claims.

When mobs and scripting and caves 2.0 come out, we should see a LOT more happening into the game systems.

Armour and health and changes to heroic movement are coming tomorrow too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Game will not grow until they simplify the "voxelmancer" bullshit & not require new players to study a loving youtube course to make an arch.

• Locked thread