Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Mahoning posted:

Just noticed a pretty big bug in iOS 8. Maybe not a bug but a design flaw. I was reading something on my iPad and my phone started ringing. So my iPad starts ringing too which is fine, but I closed the case on my iPad to answer my phone and it ignored the phone call. Doesn't seem like a very good feature if it was intentional.

I wouldn't say that's a big bug. Definitely sounds like a feature and could really go both ways on perception of usefulness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

retpocileh posted:

So reading all the comments here is making me think I might wait to actually update to ios 8. That said, in the process of trying to clear up space for the update, I deleted all my apps, and it looks like I only have about 3 gigs worth of stuff left, yet usage is saying I'm using 9 gigs. I tried restarting and it still says the same thing. Any ideas? Screenshot: http://imgur.com/1NO8pdr
Did the update itself maybe download and is the mystery space? Otherwise if you can, hook it up to a computer and check it out with one of those cleaner apps to see if there's some random cache or something.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Is it normal for Siri to be cheeky? On a whim I asked Siri to show me her tits. Now before you judge, when Siri was introduced I was on a deployment and me and my bros would kill time by asking Siri stupid questions. Normally she replies with stuff like "I'm not that kind of assistant" or "how about a web search for inappropriate behavior" but this time I had a good laugh because Siri called me a big dick pony fucker. in her robot voice.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Pretty sure that's what your friend asked Siri what to call you. Go check your nickname in the contacts settings. Or ask Siri to just call you your normal name.

Athletic Footjob fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Sep 21, 2014

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
That fucker. It's been that way a year now and I had no idea.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

vigorous sodomy posted:

That fucker. It's been that way a year now and I had no idea.

That's quite a long con from your friend. I'd buy him a beer.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
drat I thought Siri was going all "Her" on us.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Do we have an iO8 Thread anywhere? I can't figure this one out, but I guess it only happens on my iPad.

iPad and iPhone are both on iOS8. Before when I would read an email elsewhere, it would come off the lock screen on my iPad and iPhone. Well it does that for my phone, but it doesn't for my iPad. Just kind of a huge annoyance, because this worked perfectly on iOS7.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Noticed some notable improvements with Safari with the 8.0.2 update. Using an iPad Mini 1st Gen.

-Loading of webpages seems to be faster. I remember not being able to quickly scroll through a thread page on Something Awful without the screen being white until it caught up with it
-I have no problems playing video in Safari like I use to. Video would simply not play, or just not be able to keep up.
-Typing in Safari is better than it was before. Not as seemless and smooth as it was on the iPad's native OS, but there is a slight delay sometimes.
-The multi page view button works much faster than it did before. The animation my stutter and drop frames, but it moves better than it did before.e

It's not perfect, but it fixed a few of my minor gripes with it.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Astro7x posted:

It's not perfect, but it fixed a few of my minor gripes with it.

Same. I didn't really notice the problem before but I hit the update before bed and woke up to use iPad and was like "whoa this definitely seems a lot more fluid"

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
Safari feels less sluggish on my Air as well. Progress.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I'm trying to replicate an error a user here has on his ipad air and I don't have an spare ipad to test with here.

If you in safari load a page, then scroll down a little and press and hold any part of webpage, do you get a white field dropping down from the top or coming up for the bottom hiding the webpage?

Supradog fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Sep 26, 2014

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Is anybody having issues with wifi dropping randomly after updating to 8? Still doing it after updating to 8.0.2 and never had issues on 7. I'm on an iPad mini retina, is there anyway to downgrade without access to a computer?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Did the iPad 3 ever had Airdrop? I could have sworn the option was there once but now that I'm on iOS 8 I can't seem to find it or an alternate reliable way to transfer files between it and my phone.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Did the iPad 3 ever had Airdrop? I could have sworn the option was there once but now that I'm on iOS 8 I can't seem to find it or an alternate reliable way to transfer files between it and my phone.

According to Apple, it's available on iPad 4 or better.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011
Youtube is no longer able to play videos in the background when streaming to Apple TV on 8.0.2. Pressing the home button or locking my iPad pauses the video. Background app refresh is on. Is this just me or is it common?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

LPG Giant posted:

Youtube is no longer able to play videos in the background when streaming to Apple TV on 8.0.2. Pressing the home button or locking my iPad pauses the video. Background app refresh is on. Is this just me or is it common?

I noticed this sometime after updating to iOS 7. It sucks because I used to play the audio from videos while on the bus or something, now you can't even start the video audio from control center on the lock screen.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

LPG Giant posted:

I believe this was a conscious decision by Google, because supposedly they're coming out with some YouTube premium service and this was one of the mentioned features. So pay up

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Don Tacorleone posted:

I believe this was a conscious decision by Google, because supposedly they're coming out with some YouTube premium service and this was one of the mentioned features. So pay up

But this is recent right? I airplayed a video just last week while browsing the web.
Oh well, third-party apps (like Jasmine) still work.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I've been frustrated by a lot of apps that won't or don't Airplay in the background. NBC Sports Live Extra used to. I'd watch Premier League games on my Apple TV while browsing the web or whatever. It updated a while ago and no longer does it. Now if I Airplay from NBC Sports Live Extra (like I was this morning to watch the Ryder Cup) I have to go into the settings and turn off auto-lock so the screen won't turn off after a few minutes. It's annoying as all hell.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
My iPad no longer seems to want to sync my reminders. I turned off Reminder syncing, telling it to delete old reminders from the iPad then switched it back on. No luck there, so I rebooted - still no luck. I don't use anything else (e.g. Google, Exchange) for reminders so I'd really like to be able for all my iCloud reminders to show up back onto my iPad.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
Reminders has been extremely unreliable in my experience. I have that issue all the time.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Changing my Apple ID password and signing back in seems to have sorted it, but I've had issues ever since iOS 7 (iOS 6 was flawless!) with reminders not necessarily syncing back and forth too smoothly anyway.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
It's been working perfectly for me all year, just saying.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Is there any inkling of an iPad refresh this year?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Duckman2008 posted:

Is there any inkling of an iPad refresh this year?

Mid October is the rumor. iPad Air 2 that has Touch ID, new processor, probably same specs otherwise. Here's hoping for more RAM!

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

bobfather posted:

Mid October is the rumor. iPad Air 2 that has Touch ID, new processor, probably same specs otherwise. Here's hoping for more RAM!

Seriously, if there's not more ram it's no buy. Been a problem since the first Retina model. My android phone gives a more desktop like browsing performance than the iPad.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

wooger posted:

Seriously, if there's not more ram it's no buy. Been a problem since the first Retina model. My android phone gives a more desktop like browsing performance than the iPad.

If any of the rumors of the 12 inch Pro iPad model are true, they'll probably save the RAM bump for that model to differentiate the lines.

Web browsing is the only area where having 1GB of RAM hurts (with pages unloading and reloading with as few as 2-3 tabs open), and Apple has always been a bigger fan of fixing problems like that through software than upgrading hardware. But who knows what they'll do!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

I don't know about October, Dalrymple (mr. "Yes" or "Nope" apple dude) said no event in October, and usually some info leaks a month in advance, there's zero ipad rumblings this time. Touch ID is a given, but who knows about the (badly needed imo) 2gb of Ram.

I can live with 1gb on my phone (can't believe I'm typing this, I still remember my blackberry) but the Air really needs 2gb and it could be a great work device, as it is the constant reloading just makes me reach for the laptop.

Apple’s rumored October 21 iPad event
Posted on Wednesday, September 17th, 2014 at 12:41 pm.
Written by Jim Dalrymple
From Reuters:

"Apple Inc (AAPL.O) is set to launch two new iPads and release the next version of its Mac operating system at its next event on Oct. 21, a Daily Dot report said, citing sources familiar with the matter."

Nope.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

Don Tacorleone posted:

I don't know about October, Dalrymple (mr. "Yes" or "Nope" apple dude) said no event in October, and usually some info leaks a month in advance, there's zero ipad rumblings this time. Touch ID is a given, but who knows about the (badly needed imo) 2gb of Ram.

I can live with 1gb on my phone (can't believe I'm typing this, I still remember my blackberry) but the Air really needs 2gb and it could be a great work device, as it is the constant reloading just makes me reach for the laptop.

Apple’s rumored October 21 iPad event
Posted on Wednesday, September 17th, 2014 at 12:41 pm.
Written by Jim Dalrymple
From Reuters:

"Apple Inc (AAPL.O) is set to launch two new iPads and release the next version of its Mac operating system at its next event on Oct. 21, a Daily Dot report said, citing sources familiar with the matter."

Nope.

A looser interpretation is "Nope" to that specific date in October.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

clockworx posted:

A looser interpretation is "Nope" to that specific date in October.

That's how I read it.

Amber Alert
Aug 28, 2009

fuk cyka

Hi friends. I recently sold an iPad mini (1st gen). I still have it in my possession. It was jailbroken on 7.0.4, I did Itunes>Restore&Update>Backup>YesDoIt. I then went to my account in itunes to find and disassociate the device with my itunes account and the device is not listed. The ipad sits in front of me as a 'new' device, asking for my current itunes account info to continue with the new device process. I'd like to be able to ship the device out and not require the purchaser to know my itunes password. How can I go about removing the need to log into my account on the device when my account doesn't even recognize the device?

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

I picked up a surface pro 3 from work and all it makes me want is an ipad with that size, feature set, and polish. The convergence point with ultralights and tablets is getting so close to being good.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Amber Alert posted:

Hi friends. I recently sold an iPad mini (1st gen). I still have it in my possession. It was jailbroken on 7.0.4, I did Itunes>Restore&Update>Backup>YesDoIt. I then went to my account in itunes to find and disassociate the device with my itunes account and the device is not listed. The ipad sits in front of me as a 'new' device, asking for my current itunes account info to continue with the new device process. I'd like to be able to ship the device out and not require the purchaser to know my itunes password. How can I go about removing the need to log into my account on the device when my account doesn't even recognize the device?

You need to disable find my iPhone on the device. Log in with your account to unlock it, get into settings, turn off find my iPhone and then go to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content & Settings on the device. It will then be like setting up a new iPad.

Amber Alert
Aug 28, 2009

fuk cyka

DarkJC posted:

You need to disable find my iPhone on the device. Log in with your account to unlock it, get into settings, turn off find my iPhone and then go to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content & Settings on the device. It will then be like setting up a new iPad.

Do I need to completely restore all my apps and settings just to do this? I logged into the device with my itunes account and continued as a 'new' device. Going into settings shows 'find my ipad' already disabled.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Amber Alert posted:

Do I need to completely restore all my apps and settings just to do this? I logged into the device with my itunes account and continued as a 'new' device. Going into settings shows 'find my ipad' already disabled.

No, you shouldn't need to. I think logging in once was enough. Try using erase all content and settings now to restore it to factory defaults again. It shouldn't require you to enter your password anymore.

Amber Alert
Aug 28, 2009

fuk cyka

DarkJC posted:

No, you shouldn't need to. I think logging in once was enough. Try using erase all content and settings now to restore it to factory defaults again. It shouldn't require you to enter your password anymore.

Great, it appears to be right where I need it to be now. Thanks for the help!

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 39 hours!
I keep getting this glitch on my iPad Air where the sound will completely stop working until I do a hard reset. It's happened three times since I updated to 8.0.2 yesterday.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

bobfather posted:

Web browsing is the only area where having 1GB of RAM hurts
Incidentally what most people use their ipad for.

For some strange reason they probably won't stuff more ram in it this year either, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They keep making the processor faster though. I stopped caring about the speed with the iPad 4.