Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Hell, you could probably hit a decent speed on open water with those things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Tommychu posted:

The 1ZZ was an oil-burner, but the 2ZZ to my knowledge never had oil consumption issues.

I find this interesting because the 2zz has much higher compression and all that other performancy good stuff. Are you sure you aren't thinking of the ZR? I had to do pistons and rings on several of them under warranty.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Octopus Magic posted:

What more do you want out of a FWD sport coupe? It was a pretty good RSX-S competitor.

The hell it was.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Cacafuego posted:

Terrible car stuff: my friend bought a used RX8 despite my advice not to. The engine exploded the other day. Mechanic says head gasket blew and it needs a new engine at about $5000. The car falls under the 8 year/100k mi extended engine warranty Mazda offers on RX8s. It's a 2007, currently at about 80k miles. The explanation is:

Know anyone with their RX8 engine replaced under warranty? The dealer it was towed to is telling me that it is meant for compression prone engine problems and may not cover it.

My roommate sold his RX8 due to extreme paranoia at all times that it was about to blow up. I'm not sure I could own one without doing something unethical. I can just picture myself at 99k miles bouncing off the rev limiter every single second I drove it hoping it would pop. From what I've seen though, this would paradoxically make it run better and more reliably.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Terrible Car: GMC Yukon XUV. I saw this last night, I think it's one of about 3 GM actually sold. It cured the need nobody had -- a convertible rear section in an SUV. :bravo:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
You shut your whore mouth :colbert:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

meatpimp posted:

Terrible Car: GMC Yukon XUV. I saw this last night, I think it's one of about 3 GM actually sold. It cured the need nobody had -- a convertible rear section in an SUV. :bravo:

But it worked so well for Studebaker!!!

e: f,b

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Bucephalus posted:

Hay guiz, I need to move a kitchen sink/counter. If only there was a way that I could use my station wagon.

Another problem nobody has ever had.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

meatpimp posted:

That's an Envoy, not a Yukon.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

meatpimp posted:

Hay guiz, I need to move a kitchen sink/counter. If only there was a way that I could use my station wagon.

Another problem nobody has ever had.

I'm pretty sure that picture is actually documenting the kitchen sink black market. Why else would there be a sink at a marina?

Those cuban sinks are high quality poo poo man.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Q_res posted:

That's an Envoy, not a Yukon.

Yep, and near as makes no difference, still an abomination.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

I passed this person as soon as I possibly could

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

rscott posted:

You should get that engine checked out.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

You should get that engine checked out.

That's the service indicator display that I did not bother to reset after I did the timing belt and water pump

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Bucephalus posted:

My family had one of those when I was growing up. It was like a pickup truck that people living in a big city weren't embarrassed to have (this was in the 60s).

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I'm pretty sure it's been scientifically proven that wagon > SUV, so convertible wagon >> convertible SUV.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Slavvy posted:

I find this interesting because the 2zz has much higher compression and all that other performancy good stuff. Are you sure you aren't thinking of the ZR? I had to do pistons and rings on several of them under warranty.
The 1zz had less oil capacity and cooling, and tended to coke oil on the rings much more easily during everyday use. You had to be much harder on a 2zz for that to happen.There was a revised dipstick and TSB that increased the oil level on the 1zz that helped a fair bit though.

Uthor posted:

I'm pretty sure it's been scientifically proven that wagon > SUV, so convertible wagon >> convertible SUV.

Counterpoint: 1g 4runner, Bronco, K5 Blazer.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Tommychu posted:

The 1zz had less oil capacity and cooling, and tended to coke oil on the rings much more easily during everyday use. You had to be much harder on a 2zz for that to happen.There was a revised dipstick and TSB that increased the oil level on the 1zz that helped a fair bit though.

That definitely would've been before my time at Toyota. What was the revised oil capacity?

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Slavvy posted:

That definitely would've been before my time at Toyota. What was the revised oil capacity?

The TSB (http://www.toyotapart.com/1ZZ-FE_ENGINE_OIL_LEVEL_SPECIFICATION_UPDATE_T-SB-0134-08.pdf) says 4.2, but I use just about 5 litres (but I also run a 2ZZ filter, and I drain it hot and let it drip for as long as a cigarette takes to burn).

For content, why the gently caress do I see so many Onfires with 2 spoilers? I mean the OEM one already does a good enough job of keeping the trunk lid closed when the latch inevitably fails, so there's not much point to the second one.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Bucephalus posted:

I was about to agree with you, but then I looked up what the "convertible" portion looked like

It's almost as bad as those Nissan ones

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

rscott posted:

Typical bmw driver

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

xzzy posted:

I'm pretty sure that picture is actually documenting the kitchen sink black market. Why else would there be a sink at a marina?

Those cuban sinks are high quality poo poo man.

You guys are really underestimating the appeal of taking your wet bar with you on the weekend jaunt in your Chris-Craft. Also I can definitely see the appeal of improved hauling capacity back in the days when there weren't U-Hauls and Home Depots with cheap rental pickups littering the suburbascape. 'Wagon with removable rear roof' actually sounds kind of neat even if the Envoy implementation is an abomination.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Tommychu posted:

The TSB (http://www.toyotapart.com/1ZZ-FE_ENGINE_OIL_LEVEL_SPECIFICATION_UPDATE_T-SB-0134-08.pdf) says 4.2, but I use just about 5 litres (but I also run a 2ZZ filter, and I drain it hot and let it drip for as long as a cigarette takes to burn).

For content, why the gently caress do I see so many Onfires with 2 spoilers? I mean the OEM one already does a good enough job of keeping the trunk lid closed when the latch inevitably fails, so there's not much point to the second one.

Looks like our service info was already updated; all the ZZ's and ZR's were listed as 4.2 and I never saw one drastically go over the dipstick markings with that amount in it.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Didn't someone in AI buy one of those, albeit an awesome tasteful one? I know at least it was something similar...

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3657581

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

How the gently caress did I miss that when it was posted?!

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Cacafuego posted:

Thanks for the help, an independent mechanic told me the head gasket was blown and it needs a new motor. He could only find one in TN (I'm in FL) with 78k miles and to pull the old one and put the new (used) one in it would be $5000.

You do not want to use this mechanic and you do not want to buy a used (non-rebuilt) rotary. Especially for $5000. For that much you could get a professionaly built 13b monster with change to spare. Or just sink it all into a 3-rotor :getin:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

I am not familiar with this version of the Escalade. Must be a prototype

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Dr.Caligari posted:

You do not want to use this mechanic and you do not want to buy a used (non-rebuilt) rotary. Especially for $5000. For that much you could get a professionaly built 13b monster with change to spare. Or just sink it all into a 3-rotor :getin:

http://www.colemanprecisionrotaries.com/

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Panty Saluter posted:

I am not familiar with this version of the Escalade. Must be a prototype

It's not believable because the guy put more effort into this than GM did with the actual first-gen Escalade.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
At least it doesn't have corvette taillights in the rear bumper.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

That is an awful website...
...and an awesome power curve.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Dr.Caligari posted:

Yeah, Mazda ended up paying for the tow to a dealer and is covering a new (guessing rebuilt) motor under the extended warranty installed by the dealer. The only charges are a new radiator, fan (s), coils, plugs, wires and Brigdh suggested asking them to put in a new thermostat, plus all the labor.

I'll work on convincing her to get that 13b!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Cacafuego posted:

Yeah, Mazda ended up paying for the tow to a dealer and is covering a new (guessing rebuilt) motor under the extended warranty installed by the dealer. The only charges are a new radiator, fan (s), coils, plugs, wires and Brigdh suggested asking them to put in a new thermostat, plus all the labor.

I'll work on convincing her to get that 13b!

As if should be. If it dies again, don't loving pay $5000 for a rotary -- rotary failure should be somewhat more tolerable because they're supposed to be way cheaper than piston motors.

Cacafuego posted:

Thanks for the help, an independent mechanic told me the head gasket was blown and it needs a new motor.
Also, don't go to this shop. Rotaries don't have head gaskets.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

It's not believable because the guy put more effort into this than GM did with the actual first-gen Escalade.

True enough, but the still picture doesn't really convey the amazing amount of body motion over every single pebble in the road. I'm guessing cut springs but who knows?

G-Mach posted:

At least it doesn't have corvette taillights in the rear bumper.

...which is very likely to happen around here :ese:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Cakefool posted:

My Uncle Howard is an uber-gearhead, not a web guy.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

"I'm tellin' ya, man, you got a sick rotary. We're gonna build you a sick rotary"

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
He sure as poo poo will too.

torpedan
Jul 17, 2003
Lets make Uncle Ben proud

Cakefool posted:

Well, the website does help to emphasize that they are serious about focusing on rotary performance (although I am sure they could find a welder or something that could make their page a bit less geocities).

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

torpedan posted:

Well, the website does help to emphasize that they are serious about focusing on rotary performance (although I am sure they could find a welder or something that could make their page a bit less geocities).

:nattyburn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blk
Dec 19, 2009
This is one of the milder Miatas on the FB group I was talking about

:barf: