Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

vyst posted:

Yea but what size inseam is that machine assuming. Are they relaxed fit jeans?

That thigh gap is definitely shopped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

lelandjs posted:

The joke is that the HTC One looks like an iPhone. It has the beveled edges of the 5S, while the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus have the rounded corners (really inspired by the original iPhone though), aluminum backing (again, OG iPhone) and antenna bars on the back from the HTC One.

Things the HTC One has the iPhone 6 Plus does not: front facing speakers, which I've been missing a little bit. Also stickers used for the logo that come off that are held on by a glue that eventually fails. I do not miss that.

Not from routine use but just "playing with the phone in the Sprint store" the One is probably the phone I like the most after the iphone.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rick posted:

Not from routine use but just "playing with the phone in the Sprint store" the One is probably the phone I like the most after the iphone.

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, I liked my One, but I made the mistake of watching the Apple keynote livestream and being sucked in to the subliminal messages of the Chinese translators, random cuts back to reporters entering, and

(It was actually the fact that they added intents for sharing between/to apps, landscape mode, and other QOL things that Android had but iOS didn't until iOS 8).

Also I didn't really realize how predatory Android apps are with permissions until I went to iOS and the most random apps started requesting background location permission. I never really thought about that kinda thing while installing Android apps. "Target's app wants to access my location? Oh yeah, store locator, makes sense." I never really considered the ramifications of the fact that, at any point, random retailer app or whatever could just decide to ping my location to see where I was even if I wasn't actively using the store locator function of the app. So that was another reason for the switch, even if it's retroactive.

[Edit: Also the internet has apparently once again decided to hate Apple which means that it's cool for me to like them again :v:]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Sep 26, 2014

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

lelandjs posted:

It looks like it's designed to press the phone into the hanging canvas, so I assume that they can emulate the pressure of any pair of jeans, from the baggiest Jyncos to the tightest leather assless chaps (do not put your iPhone in the pocket of your tightest leather assless chaps, goons).

[Edit: actually I'm gonna assume that assless chaps probably don't have pockets anyway so I guess my advice is pointless]

Get this:

All chaps are assless.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Oh god. Please not the "assless chaps is redundant" argument again. Not in the iPhone thread!

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Yo so iPhone syncing with iTunes wirelessly on the same wifi network still works like absolute dogshit 99% of the time, right?

I remember being so stoked when they announced you wouldn't have to be connected via USB, what, 4 years ago? If the phone is plugged into power (that's still not "wireless", Apple) and on the same wifi then iTunes should detect the phone. For me it doesn't. What's even more stupid is that sometimes iTunes will detect the phone when it's not plugged in and just chillin somewhere random and it will even transfer music, but it's a total crapshoot.

poo poo makes me angry, man.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

lelandjs posted:

Also I didn't really realize how predatory Android apps are with permissions until I went to iOS and the most random apps started requesting background location permission. I never really thought about that kinda thing while installing Android apps. "Target's app wants to access my location? Oh yeah, store locator, makes sense." I never really considered the ramifications of the fact that, at any point, random retailer app or whatever could just decide to ping my location to see where I was even if I wasn't actively using the store locator function of the app. So that was another reason for the switch, even if it's retroactive.

There are lots of reasons I stick with iPhones and iOS, but this is a big one, and it feels like Google isn't in a hurry to address this problem any time soon. I hate the 'all or nothing' approach they currently have.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Suqit posted:

Get this:

All chaps are assless.

Then how do they sit down, smart guy?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

ShoogaSlim posted:

Yo so iPhone syncing with iTunes wirelessly on the same wifi network still works like absolute dogshit 99% of the time, right?

I remember being so stoked when they announced you wouldn't have to be connected via USB, what, 4 years ago? If the phone is plugged into power (that's still not "wireless", Apple) and on the same wifi then iTunes should detect the phone. For me it doesn't. What's even more stupid is that sometimes iTunes will detect the phone when it's not plugged in and just chillin somewhere random and it will even transfer music, but it's a total crapshoot.

poo poo makes me angry, man.

For what it's worth I have never been able to rely on a feature which relied on two devices communicating over a local network. Wi-Fi sync, PS4->PSVita remote play, AirPlay, AirPrint, and a few others all sometimes drop in the middle or just sometimes fall off the networkon occasion; hell, even file transfers are unreliable enough to make me consider a different way just to not waste the time. Sometimes I wonder why it seems internet browsing is so much more reliable than local network stuff.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Years ago I would stream video files from my Windows PC to my PS3 using the Media Server option and it almost always worked 100% fine. Even now I use Vuze to stream stuff from my MacBook to my PS3 over the same network and it's pretty good despite me being a little far from my router.

Wifi iTunes syncing works enough for it to not be a huge problem but sometimes it's just really annoying that it doesn't work at all unless I get off my lazy rear end and plug my phone into my laptop like it's 2002 or some poo poo.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

So my 6+ is my first iPhone since the 4, so a lot of stuff is new. It looks like the Apple Store app and Google Wallet set up a geo fence, so I have the geo fence menu item displayed 100% of the time, which is annoying. If it works like I think it does, this shouldn't cause any battery drain because it uses the cell tower/wifi triangulation stuff and not precise GPS location information. But it's still annoying to have the geo fence icon up 100% of the time. Do you guys just turn off location for dumb apps that do this or just put up with the stupid icon?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

So my 6+ is my first iPhone since the 4, so a lot of stuff is new. It looks like the Apple Store app and Google Wallet set up a geo fence, so I have the geo fence menu item displayed 100% of the time, which is annoying. If it works like I think it does, this shouldn't cause any battery drain because it uses the cell tower/wifi triangulation stuff and not precise GPS location information. But it's still annoying to have the geo fence icon up 100% of the time. Do you guys just turn off location for dumb apps that do this or just put up with the stupid icon?

I'm an autist so I turn it off because I hate that arrow and I hardly ever benefit from whatever those geofences offer, it's not like I'm traveling all over town.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Unless the geofences are really valuable to me I turn that poo poo off. For the record, I have app store location enabled and it doesn't show that geofence image, so I think that's just Google Wallet.

edit: Oh, you meant the Apple Store app. No idea about that one. It doesn't display a geofence for me, but I don't use it much.

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+
Should my hand ache this much after two days of 6+ use?

Definitely crampy.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Keep it up. Soon your hand will get swole.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
Important question: is it your fapping hand?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Samara posted:

Should my hand ache this much after two days of 6+ use?

Definitely crampy.

I have big hands and I am with you at the 24 hour mark. We'll see. It definitely is a different experience trying to hold it. (even just grasping it to 2-hand use it.)

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

The geofence arrow discussion made me go through my privacy settings and disable some dumb apps that were asking for usage all the time. Even had to go in system services and disable some. Thanks for bringing that up.

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

My coworker used his Makerbot to print out 3D models of both of the phones, so I've been walking around with the iPhone 6 Plus version to get a feel for it. I'm pretty much sold. What's the best place to get a deal on one right now? I'm currently without a carrier and I use a Nexus 4, but I've got an old iPhone 4 in mint condition, so I'm thinking I might try to snag that Verizon deal to get $200 off and grab me a 64GB Plus for half the price.

If the store even has any. I doubt it. Blech.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

oversteps posted:

My coworker used his Makerbot to print out 3D models of both of the phones, so I've been walking around with the iPhone 6 Plus version to get a feel for it. I'm pretty much sold. What's the best place to get a deal on one right now? I'm currently without a carrier and I use a Nexus 4, but I've got an old iPhone 4 in mint condition, so I'm thinking I might try to snag that Verizon deal to get $200 off and grab me a 64GB Plus for half the price.

If the store even has any. I doubt it. Blech.
Yeah you're not getting one for at least a month.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Is the "camp the apple website at 10pm for in store pickup" technique not working this year? Because even though it requires some effort it is effective.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have used wifi sync for ages and it's always worked hth.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
There's nothing in the OP about it - where's that site we can go that tells us which stores have which models in stock? Or is that just a figment of my imagination? I want to get a 64gb 6 in space grey, but I'd rather wait a few weeks than drive around town all day looking for one.

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Yeah, the store near me had nothing in stock. What grinds my gears is apparently the $200 trade-in credit isn't even credited to the purchase of the phone. Even if you go to the store itself and do everything there, you still have to send in your phone and receipt and then wait for a $200 gift card in the mail. That's a little annoying.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, my local Apple stores appeared to get some more in-stock late Wednesday and there were lines at them on Thursday.

Edit:

jackpot posted:

There's nothing in the OP about it - where's that site we can go that tells us which stores have which models in stock? Or is that just a figment of my imagination? I want to get a 64gb 6 in space grey, but I'd rather wait a few weeks than drive around town all day looking for one.

Go online to Apple's store, select the phone you want in the color and size and carrier, and look towards the bottom of the window. You should see a Check Availability link to check local Apple stores for in-store pick up.

You'll need to re-select the model config if you want to see if they have it in another color/size.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

oversteps posted:

Yeah, the store near me had nothing in stock. What grinds my gears is apparently the $200 trade-in credit isn't even credited to the purchase of the phone. Even if you go to the store itself and do everything there, you still have to send in your phone and receipt and then wait for a $200 gift card in the mail. That's a little annoying.
Nah it makes sense since they gotta refurb the phone they can't just take you on your word that it works and they don't trust whatever retail people they've got working to vet the device. Pretty standard stuff.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
So the app/website Eat24 usually has silly/clever coupon codes every weekend for $2 off. But this week I think takes the cake:

Eat 24 posted:

Did you bend your iPhone 6 already? Us too. That's why we're happy to announce that the EAT24 app is now optimized for bent screens!

What does this mean? Well, let's say you just perfected that butt groove in the couch but your new iPhone was in your pocket, so now it looks more like a taco shell than a smartphone. You can still use that phone* to order yourself a taco on the EAT24 app thanks to its all-new springy, flexible, and shatter-resistant UI.

You can also use this coupon to save a little dough** on your Curly Fries, Pad Thai Noodles, or any other bendy/non-bendy foods this weekend.

Coupon Code:
bend24

Need another coupon? You got it. All you have to do is Tweet this "The @EAT24 App is now optimized for bent iPhones #BendGate" and we'll give you an extra code.

You're the crazy straw to our chocolate malt.

Enjoy,

EAT24

*If you didn't sit on your phone, don't worry. Our app is backwards compatible with unbent devices.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Anyone in here use the VPN feature? The iOS 8 hype suggested that once you established a VPN connection it would persist even after putting the phone to sleep for a while.

But this isn't happening for me.. every time I switch to cellular and back to wifi or turn the phone off for a few minutes, the VPN connection goes away and tosses up a dialog box saying the "connection was closed." As near as I can tell they found a way to make it even more annoying without improving the functionality at all.

Or maybe I just have something configured wrong.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Another IOS8 Bug (#bug-gate?)

Swiping poo poo from the lock screen (you know, like the Control Center or the Camera) does not work like 90% of the time for me.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Feenix posted:

Another IOS8 Bug (#bug-gate?)

Swiping poo poo from the lock screen (you know, like the Control Center or the Camera) does not work like 90% of the time for me.
That's not a bug. That's either a defective device or user error.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

lelandjs posted:

Well duh, just root your phone and install some third-party permission management tool that causes your apps to crash because they don't have anything programmed in to mitigate situations where certain permissions are denied.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Whirlwind Jones posted:

That's not a bug. That's either a defective device or user error.

I know how to swipe a finger. So I doubt it's user error. It works sometimes but other times it is completely unresponsive. I guess it COULD be defective, but I would figure a screen quadrant would either be dead... or not dead.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I've had that before and it's intermittent

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Feenix posted:

I know how to swipe a finger. So I doubt it's user error. It works sometimes but other times it is completely unresponsive. I guess it COULD be defective, but I would figure a screen quadrant would either be dead... or not dead.
Might have to do with your modified grip holding the 6+. It's certainly not a "bug".

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

my hands are hella cramped after using this 6+ all week. Gat drat

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Might have to do with your modified grip holding the 6+. It's certainly not a "bug".

I don't mean to be rude or combative but how are you certain that it is not a bug or a glitch? I've had a bunch of other bonkers poo poo happening since yesterday with the OS. And when I notice that the swipe up is not registering, I have put the phone down on the table and tried many many ways. I'n not saying it's unresponsive until it decides to respond. I'm saying it flat out doesn't work at times and swiping 50 times doesn't change that. Only a reboot does.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
Has anyone noticed that they no longer get a download progress circle on the home screen when they're installing apps after installing iOS 8? There used to be a circle that appeared over the app icon when you started downloading it, and when it was about 80% full the icon label would change from "Loading..." to "Installing..." Now it just sits at "Waiting..." with no progress circle the whole time it's downloading, then when it starts installing the circle appears and immediately goes to "Installing..."

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

The rear end Stooge posted:

Has anyone noticed that they no longer get a download progress circle on the home screen when they're installing apps after installing iOS 8? There used to be a circle that appeared over the app icon when you started downloading it, and when it was about 80% full the icon label would change from "Loading..." to "Installing..." Now it just sits at "Waiting..." with no progress circle the whole time it's downloading, then when it starts installing the circle appears and immediately goes to "Installing..."

Nah works fine for me.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

I just tested and it works exactly like it did before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Happens to me too.