Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Maneki Neko posted:

Doesn't seen any stupider than the standard range of disclaimers that people put on everything these days.

True enough I guess.
Can you use any old headset these days for the The One? I kind of lost track of where that all ended up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

univbee posted:

Aren't most Wii U games 720p?

Mario Kart is 720p/60fps and has no AA but it's still gorgeous and you can play as Pink Gold Peach the game freaking rules

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

peter gabriel posted:

True enough I guess.
Can you use any old headset these days for the The One? I kind of lost track of where that all ended up.

You need the chat adapter, but from there it's just the standard "3 line" 3.5 inch plug, so anything that works with an iPhone or whatever should be fine with the Xbone.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Maneki Neko posted:

You need the chat adapter, but from there it's just the standard "3 line" 3.5 inch plug, so anything that works with an iPhone or whatever should be fine with the Xbone.

Groovy thanks

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

codenameFANGIO posted:

Post in Imp Zone peter gabriel, it's fun and cool :)

:agreed:

RangerAce
Feb 25, 2014

Maneki Neko posted:

Groupon has the XBone headset on sale for $50, which is a pretty good deal considering it includes the chat adapter:

http://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-1-xbox-one-stereo-headset-with-folding-boom-microphone

As it's been mentioned, it's a pretty comfy headset on it's own, especially if you have a big rear end head.

Does this headset work on anything else? I DO have a huge cranium, but not a huge The One to use it with. I guess it works on any USB, right?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Did anyone else in this thread get confused by how they called the third InFamous game InFamous SECOND Son? I bought a PS4 but was so confused about the game because I'd played two InFamous games and didn't want to buy a rehash like TLOU Remastered. Apparently this is a fully new release though??

Based on all the confusion around here about the third Xbox being called the XBone I figure most other people made the same mistake.

XBone is a terrible console name, but also the number of people who actually confuse it between the first and the third Xbox is probably pretty close to zero. At least the overused 32 Mb of ESRAM meme actually has some basis in reality.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Sep 26, 2014

RangerAce
Feb 25, 2014

Saladman posted:

Does anyone else in this thread get confused by how they called the third InFamous game InFamous SECOND Son? I bought a PS4 but was so confused about the game because I'd played two InFamous games and didn't want to buy a rehash like TLOU Remastered.

Based on all the confusion around here about the third Xbox being called the XBone I figure most other people made the same mistake.

XBone is a terrible console name, but also the number of people who actually confuse it between the first and the third Xbox is probably pretty close to zero. At least the overused 32 Mb of ESRAM trope actually has some basis in reality.

Unless you've never heard of JSRF and I have to explain that it's for the original Xbox 1. No, not The One. The one that came before the 360, not The One that came after.

Which is pretty much what I have to do every time.

But hey, at least it's not called the Wii U.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast
I just call them the newest xbox and the first xbox as people generally understand the linear flow of time as we perceive it

Edit - why do only gigantic rear end in a top hat name consoles?

The Wii/Wii U are just dumb loving meaningless names

The Playstation sounds like a Fisher Price thing for babies where you push buttons with animal pictures and it moos and meows

The xbox is a distillation of 90's Xtreme Marketing

Sega was terrible at a lot of things, but naming consoles was not one of them

WinnebagoWarrior fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 26, 2014

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

RangerAce posted:

Does this headset work on anything else? I DO have a huge cranium, but not a huge The One to use it with. I guess it works on any USB, right?

It uses a standard headphone connector, not USB.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

As is my screen name. Second point, I agree.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Fame Douglas posted:

You don't "defrag" an SSD, you "trim" it.

thanks for clearing that up nerd

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Saladman posted:

Did anyone else in this thread get confused by how they called the third InFamous game InFamous SECOND Son? I bought a PS4 but was so confused about the game because I'd played two InFamous games and didn't want to buy a rehash like TLOU Remastered. Apparently this is a fully new release though??

XBone is a terrible console name, but also the number of people who actually confuse it between the first and the third Xbox is probably pretty close to zero. At least the overused 32 Mb of ESRAM meme actually has some basis in reality.
Not sure why you bring up PS4 and Infamous - this isn't the PS4 thread. Xbone is a much better name for a console than Xbox One. Where are you gathering that the amount of consumer confusion over the name is pretty close to zero? It'd be wonderful that tales of confusion heard throughout the forums were mere fabrication. The 32MB eSRAM is a meme as it's a joke of a design, they wanted 8GB of ram for multi-tasking so decided to use an upgraded 360 design. This is evident in their leaked roadmap from 2010 where they want >32MB of eDRAM. There were too many cooks and the managers wanted to follow a recipe that worked before.

Mind you they'd have a hard time making a new recipe with their financial blackhole of a department, competent staff moving to better pastures and the other divisions sabotaging each other over interdepartmental politics.

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

I just call them the newest xbox and the first xbox as people generally understand the linear flow of time as we perceive it

Edit - why do only gigantic rear end in a top hat name consoles?

The Wii/Wii U are just dumb loving meaningless names

The Playstation sounds like a Fisher Price thing for babies where you push buttons with animal pictures and it moos and meows

Well to be fair when the first playstation was released that was the perceived nature of the industry and it made it easier to get a foothold. The Xbox one (the first xbox) was called it due to it being a directX Box. Wii is a barely defendable name, but at least it made it easy for the average person to remember. Wii U was the old milestone in bad names before the Xbox One (the third xbox), but that's shifted to the New 3DS now.

A SWELL DUDE
Feb 8, 2005

Saladman posted:

you fuckin mad :D

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

but that's shifted to the New 3DS now.

I have owned every single Nintendo console except a Gamecube and I have no idea what the gently caress is ever going on with Nintendos handhelds. I never know if they are are releasing a new handheld or just slighly changing the size or shape of the last one.

is the new 3ds actually a different thing from a 3ds? Like, in that it actually plays different games and stuff?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

I have owned every single Nintendo console except a Gamecube and I have no idea what the gently caress is ever going on with Nintendos handhelds. I never know if they are are releasing a new handheld or just slighly changing the size or shape of the last one.

is the new 3ds actually a different thing from a 3ds? Like, in that it actually plays different games and stuff?

they're putting a new cpu in the new model that will allow it to run games that the original model can't. how many games that ends up being we will obviously have to wait to see. they also said that games will start having certain features (like visual effects and whatnot) that will only run when it's in a new 3ds but it will still play in the old ones.

other changes are extra shoulder buttons + 2nd control nub (supposed to be like a 2nd stick but it looks like a laptop mouse nipple) and enhanced 3d that tracks your head so you don't have to keep it perfectly still.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

Beaten with a pretty thorough explanation. tl;dr it's the 3DS equivalent of the DSi.

To expand somewhat:

The screens will be the same resolution they are now, so no change on that side of things.

They are working on a port of the Wii Xenoblade Chronicles to the new 3DS, which will require a new 3DS. Thus far, it's the only exclusive on that level, though; various games will be enhanced by the new 3DS but still work in a certain capacity on the old model (e.g. Smash Bros. on 3DS has some system features disabled on the classic 3DS, and you can't use a circle pad pro on a classic 3DS but can use the right stick on the new 3DS).

It's selling preorder-wise very well in Japan, and it's even noticeable because despite the crazy sales of Smash Bros, very few 3DSes were sold in that timeframe (because everyone's waiting for the new units next month). That said, whether or not things shift heavily to the new 3DS' favor (and to what extent) remain to be seen, although it's safe to say the number of existing 2DS/3DSes is going to be hard to ignore for game devs so it could just end up like the DSi (which had nothing of significance the regular DS didn't have from a software standpoint).

It will also come in both sizes. The XL side is basically identical screen size-wise but the "smaller" unit is slightly bigger than the classic 3DS and doesn't have dumb select/home/start buttons. The smaller unit will have interchangeable rear panels with various art on them, while the XL won't.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
Xbox owners will soon be able to dunk cookies in the dark too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfQsfliqCPU

Disco.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
sunest overdrive is going to own.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Crafty posted:

Disco.

9.8ft Cord Included - No Batteries Required :negative:

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
Customer about to make a big purchase: "Hi can I get an Xbox one please?"

Clerk:"What? Do you mean the console made ten years ago we don't sell or the new console that just came out?"

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Crafty posted:

Disco.

I realize that it's there because the lights would destroy battery life, but no way do I go back to wired controllers no matter how many pretty lights they put on it.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

Clerk:"What? Do you mean the console made ten years ago we don't sell or the new console that just came out?"

Now you're getting it

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Is this the hug box Xbox thread or the not hugbox street brawl xbox thread?

I just want to be sure before posting because apparently both the Wii-U threads are hugbox threads despite one being clearly labeled as non-hugbox.

And well both Microsoft and Nintendo are terrible at keeping things straight with names.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

The Taint Reaper posted:

Is this the hug box Xbox thread or the not hugbox street brawl xbox thread?

I just want to be sure before posting because apparently both the Wii-U threads are hugbox threads despite one being clearly labeled as non-hugbox.

And well both Microsoft and Nintendo are terrible at keeping things straight with names.

I can't find the street brawl thread. So, I guess this is the only thread we have to discuss the Xbox One, which is the third Xbox.

RangerAce
Feb 25, 2014

I guess this is a sharktank thread? http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3667396

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

"Do you have the new Fifa in?"

Yes, for which console?

"He's got the Xbox one, not the Nintendo or Playstation."

Did the lady mean Xbox One or Xbox 360? Find out next time, in Actual Things People Say In Stores!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I was at EBGames yesterday and someone asked the store people for a rundown on PS4 versus Xbox One, including the online services, and the store clerk spent a few minutes thoroughly explaining each component and how the PS4 was pretty much better in every way. :unsmith:

But was he comparing it to the Xbox One or the Xbox One, that I don't know.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

Clerk:"What? Let me see if we have any in the back. "

*Opens door leading to a veritable cavern of Xbones, packed from floor to ceiling.

*Blows dust off Xbone box (Day One edition), and tries to dislodge it from its brethren.

*Xbone tower topples over, like a city in the movie Inception after its architect awakes.

*Dies.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
xbox jenga

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
someone spent money on a lovely banner ad for the thread that got removed 2 days later lmao

who was it

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Almost Smart posted:

Clerk:"What? Let me see if we have any in the back. "

*Opens door leading to a veritable cavern of Xbones, packed from floor to ceiling.

*Blows dust off Xbone box (Day One edition), and tries to dislodge it from its brethren.

*Xbone tower topples over, like a city in the movie Inception after its architect awakes.

*Dies.

Wasn't this an Ontario worker safety PSA?

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

circ dick soleil posted:

someone spent money on a lovely banner ad for the thread that got removed 2 days later lmao

who was it

shadow

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Who got madden for xbox one?

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

circ dick soleil posted:

who was it

Please do not speak ill of the dead.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I'm really curious what's going to happen when the PS4 starts releasing it's big games. Right now it's got more consoles than both it's competitor's combined and also the lion share of development teams and studios. It's also the only console that isn't in jeopardy or is still struggling for relevance.

Yeah the console market is dead in Japan etc., But America and Europe are the only ones that count.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
I'm curious what's going to happen now that Steam Curators exist. Right now, Steam has more active users than every competitor combined and also the lion share of development teams and studios and solo developers. It's the only system that isn't in jeopardy or ever struggled for relevance.

Yeah the desktop market is dead in USA, but laptops still count.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

koolkal posted:

I'm curious what's going to happen now that Steam Curators exist. Right now, Steam has more active users than every competitor combined and also the lion share of development teams and studios and solo developers. It's the only system that isn't in jeopardy or ever struggled for relevance.

Yeah the desktop market is dead in USA, but laptops still count.

I've been doing my part by leaving pictures of asses in Every Steam curator +1 rating

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

The Taint Reaper posted:

I've been doing my part by leaving pictures of asses in Every Steam curator +1 rating

:patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

oknope posted:

Who got madden for xbox one?

Me, I did.

• Locked thread