Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Tracula posted:

That really is what I appreciate about them. I don't worry about them ripping off MST3K at the drop of a hat or any time a forklift shows up.

I actually had that song stuck in my head the other day. It's amazingly catchy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Bleh, just yesterday I had the tune from that Beauty and the Beast cartoon stuck in my head, first thing in the morning.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

New Jontron!

This one's pretty good.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I didn't see it from the start but RLM played QWOP last night after playing Octodad. The whole crew was there and what I saw of it was pretty great. Jessi is secretly a gaming god.

http://www.twitch.tv/previouslyrecorded_live/b/571841065

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Cyron posted:

*looks snarly at 80% of TGWTG staff.*

Uh...what? I haven't seen any straight up ripping OFF MST3k. It's pretty rare to see an MST3K experiment subject on the site. There's a difference between reffing something and stealing from it - which I'd think someone who watches MST3K would know.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
So has that orangutang always been in the opening to Baywatching? I just noticed him last episode. Also I hope Lupa is doing VIP and Baywatch Nights while she's at it.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Rebochan posted:

Uh...what? I haven't seen any straight up ripping OFF MST3k. It's pretty rare to see an MST3K experiment subject on the site. There's a difference between reffing something and stealing from it - which I'd think someone who watches MST3K would know.

Mainly the references like the forklift song. but it nothing major.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Cyron posted:

Mainly the references like the forklift song. but it nothing major.

Or Linkara routinely dropping in clips of jokes from MST3K in lieu of actually writing jokes.

edit: wow that sounded less bitter in my head

DoombatINC fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Sep 26, 2014

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

Gyges posted:

So has that orangutang always been in the opening to Baywatching? I just noticed him last episode. Also I hope Lupa is doing VIP and Baywatch Nights while she's at it.

It's always been there. The episode is hilarious.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

DoombatINC posted:

Or Linkara routinely dropping in clips of jokes from MST3K in lieu of actually writing jokes.

edit: wow that sounded less bitter in my head

Linkara does tend to rely heavily on callbacks and poo poo like clips a lot but I think he's so affable and into the craft of comics that he's able to move above it.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
TGWTG & co. are the logical outcome of a generation of kids growing up on crap like MST3K, Beavis & Butthead and Siskel & Ebert and then tasked with creating culture. AVGN was patient zero and now we've got a pandemic.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Gyges posted:

The orangutan has always been, and will always be. Well, except we looked it up and he's dead now. But the orangutan lives on in spirit!

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Arbite posted:

New Jontron!

This one's pretty good.

I'm so conflicted about JonTron. On one hand he has demonstrated time after time on Twitter and during his time on GG that he has terrible opinions personally and is clearly an ignorant douche in real life, but at the same time his standalone produced video game reviews that he puts on his channel are probably the funniest video game reviews on the entire internet (or at least appeal the most to my personal taste in comedy out of every contributor in that medium).

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Also he's for now one of the only big name Video Game People to actually show the ending for Wally And The No Gang.

I watched the Octodad stream and they didn't end up talking about the AVGN movie. I'm honestly curious about it and that movie isn't exactly big enough to be a cinema thing over here.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

bbf2 posted:

I'm so conflicted about JonTron. On one hand he has demonstrated time after time on Twitter and during his time on GG that he has terrible opinions personally and is clearly an ignorant douche in real life, but at the same time his standalone produced video game reviews that he puts on his channel are probably the funniest video game reviews on the entire internet (or at least appeal the most to my personal taste in comedy out of every contributor in that medium).

I'm not at the boycott phase yet but it's getting harder for me to support him.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
JonTron is a literal clown. Treat him as such.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

quakster posted:

JonTron is a literal clown. Treat him as such.

Someone who half the population is irrationally afraid of and the other half irrationally wants to sleep with?

Surprisingly accurate, actually.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
If I boycotted every entertainer I disagreed with on a personal level the amount of media I consume would probably dry up to almost nothing. Separating art from artist and all that.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Breaking news: internet entertainer turns out to be literal baby

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

I just laugh at someone else's stuff and then get back to doing my own. That's the proper way to enjoy things.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

OldTennisCourt posted:

Linkara does tend to rely heavily on callbacks and poo poo like clips a lot but I think he's so affable and into the craft of comics that he's able to move above it.

Linkara is terrible when he's trying to be funny.

The best (and funniest) of his episodes are the ones where he doesn't need to make jokes - the terrible story/art/character actions/continuity/whatever pretty much make the jokes for him and he's far better at observing and critiquing those than he is at ad-libbing lines to force a joke because he's at the end of a paragraph of his script.

Marville, Amazons Attack, Countdown, the Computer Wizz Kids - all great stuff because he's just pointing out what's dumb rather than playing a clip or referencing some meme or whatever.

What I'm saying is I actually want to see the guy have a rage induced aneurysm while holding a copy of Avengers Arena or something. Literally die on screen, Linkara. It's better than that stupid goddam Cyber men clip. :/

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Really it's prob way better to have him only under a video ordeal and not look at ANYTHING he ever writes. (But there was a point where I can't even do this with video since I've got issues with the guy even as an entertainer figure and solely by his craft)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

KayTee posted:

The best (and funniest) of his episodes are the ones where he doesn't need to make jokes - the terrible story/art/character actions/continuity/whatever pretty much make the jokes for him and he's far better at observing and critiquing those than he is at ad-libbing lines to force a joke because he's at the end of a paragraph of his script.

Marville, Amazons Attack, Countdown, the Computer Wizz Kids - all great stuff because he's just pointing out what's dumb rather than playing a clip or referencing some meme or whatever.

What I'm saying is I actually want to see the guy have a rage induced aneurysm while holding a copy of Avengers Arena or something. Literally die on screen, Linkara. It's better than that stupid goddam Cyber men clip. :/
The review of Frank Miller's Holy Terror wrote itself.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Kunster posted:

Really it's prob way better to have him only under a video ordeal and not look at ANYTHING he ever writes. (But there was a point where I can't even do this with video since I've got issues with the guy even as an entertainer figure and solely by his craft)
Was AA that bad?

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I mean JT's stuff.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Benny the Snake posted:

Was AA that bad?

I'd say that Avengers Arena is as bad as at least 5 topical Jontron twitter posts. Which I think equals about .4 of a Spoony wrestling vlog. Which, by the way, there is a new one of now.

I'd link to it but phonepostin'. :effort:

(But for the record, Spoony is dead right about the WWE Network. )

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Avengers Arena killed off not only a ton of good teen heroes for purely shock value, it was a Hunger Games rip off, was horribly written and completely ruined Arcade as a villain.

It's worse than Amazons Attack by a huge margin.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
It really feels much more like a DC crossover. Specifically the Culling.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

KayTee posted:

(But for the record, Spoony is dead right about the WWE Network. )

I never actually hear anything about it other than it's super cheap for its content.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Tae posted:

I never actually hear anything about it other than it's super cheap for its content.

It's a super great resource for old stuff and it's awesome for the free PPVs. The only real issue is the product now isn't that amazing. But you still have tons of great content to burn through.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

KayTee posted:

There is... logic in what you say.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Tae posted:

I live in the UK - and I'd rather not jump through a bunch of Internet - wizardry hoops to get my burly men aggro - hugging fix.

DoctorWhat posted:

There is... logic in what you say.

:argh:

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

FlamingLiberal posted:

The review of Frank Miller's Holy Terror wrote itself.

I just like to go to a comic store with my friends, flip Holy Terror open to any page and you can find something loving offensive and stupid in just about every panel.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

OldTennisCourt posted:

It's a super great resource for old stuff and it's awesome for the free PPVs. The only real issue is the product now isn't that amazing. But you still have tons of great content to burn through.

The problem with the network is there isn't ALOT of great content on it. Everyone knows that the WWE's library and stretches back to almost the 50s, almost every major promotion that ever existed, and only a very small fraction of it is actually up on the network. I wanted to watch EVERY ECW show plus PPVs dammit :argh:

The network is still TOTALY worth it for the PPVs and NXT (If you are following the current WWE or are sick of the main WWE product then NXT is a much watch show)

Anyway, what were Spoony's reviews of Night of Champions like? I'm not sure I wanna watch it myself. I hear to many people bitching about the WWE in PSP

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Sep 26, 2014

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

BigRed0427 posted:

The problem with the network is there isn't ALOT of great content on it. Everyone knows that the WWE's library and stretches back to almost the 50s, almost every major promotion that ever existed, and only a very small fraction of it is actually up on the network. I wanted to watch EVERY ECW show plus PPVs dammit :argh:

The network is still TOTALY worth it for the PPVs and NXT (If you are following the current WWE or are sick of the main WWE product then NXT is a much watch show)

Anyway, what were Spoony's reviews of Night of Champions like?

He got raging mad when the match that got canceled due to a real life ingry and the plan b for less then 24 hours wasn't a full 15 min match.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Cyron posted:

He got raging mad when the match that got canceled due to a real life ingry and the plan b for less then 24 hours wasn't a full 15 min match.

:ughh: This is why I can't be mad about the current WWE product. Three of the guys they had major plans for are on the injured list and they are doing the best they can with who they have. Theres nothing you can do about that. NoC Wasn't a bad show. Plus Dean Ambrose chasing Seth Rollins and no one being able to stop him will never not be fun.

If you are getting angry about the WWE then do what I do: Either take a break from the WWE or watch some kind of other wrestling. WWE is not the only company out there. That might help Spoony.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

BigRed0427 posted:

:ughh: This is why I can't be mad about the current WWE product. Three of the guys they had major plans for are on the injured list and they are doing the best they can with who they have. Theres nothing you can do about that. NoC Wasn't a bad show. Plus Dean Ambrose chasing Seth Rollins and no one being able to stop him will never not be fun.

If you are getting angry about the WWE then do what I do: Either take a break from the WWE or watch some kind of other wrestling. WWE is not the only company out there. That might help Spoony.

most goons who got sick of WWE at the moment are watching new japan who are doing great in the last year at least in PSP.

but i agree 3 big name guys got hurt this summer and it hurting wwe when it need it top folks as possible. can't blame them going back to cena when he is still healthy.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

bbf2 posted:

I feel the same way, and I think I have an idea as to why. It's the nature of the single-camera format and the false intimacy it creates. This video explains it pretty well. That's what makes it so uniquely engaging for viewers. Finding out that someone is a douche breaks the illusion. The false intimacy cannot materialize when it's with someone you don't even want to be intimate with. :geno:

That's why I can easily disconnect myself and enjoy Tom Cruise (nut) and Chevy Chase (rear end in a top hat) movies, but it's not as easy with JonTron and other internet personalities like him. The their respective formats do not work the same way.

FAKE EDIT:

Except...
I do have some terrible news for you all from Oancitizen's Twitter account. Yeah I know we shouldn't post twitter, but this is just too grave not to.

https://twitter.com/KyleKallgren/status/515149739923615744

nooooo :gonk:

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Ema Nymton posted:

Except...
I do have some terrible news for you all from Oancitizen's Twitter account. Yeah I know we shouldn't post twitter, but this is just too grave not to.

https://twitter.com/KyleKallgren/status/515149739923615744

nooooo :gonk:

Goddammit, I didn't think the Star Trek alternate universe self would manifest here! :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
He looks so young :stare:

• Locked thread