Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I bought The Apocalypse Mirror last night. I haven't finished it yet, but I just have to say I am continually amazed by Frazer Hines's performance as the second Doctor. He sounds more like Patrick Troughton than Wendy Padbury sounds like Wendy Padbury.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
It's like Sliders, except with shitposting, rainbow cosplay coats, and somehow still John Rhys Davies.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Fungah! posted:

His viewpoint is that everyone in the thread is ganging up to be snide to him and anyone else who agrees with him. That's just straight up not true and super annoying, and he comes in here and posts poo poo like this every few months. I'm personally kind of tired of it.

I'm tired of him too but that doesn't matter, I just really liked the juxtaposition of the two posts I quoted.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

BSam posted:

I'm tired of him too but that doesn't matter, I just really liked the juxtaposition of the two posts I quoted.

Yeah, fair enough. TBF, what Android Blues posted is mostly true, the thread's usually pretty good about arguing in good faith and being polite to each other. I'm just sick of dude being such a baby about everything all the time.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Fungah! posted:

Yeah, fair enough. TBF, what Android Blues posted is mostly true, the thread's usually pretty good about arguing in good faith and being polite to each other. I'm just sick of dude being such a baby about everything all the time.

Meanwhile no-one is buying me a BRCT no matter how rude I am

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

It's an affront, that's what it is

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
There's not room for yet another Six-related avatar on these forums, Jakiri.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

DoctorWhat posted:

There's not room for yet another Six-related avatar on these forums, Jakiri.

Technically yours isn't one.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

If you're really gunning for a BRCT, go and find three or four threads in GBS that even border on the political and express your disgust with some of the sentiments you encounter. It only takes about that many.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

PriorMarcus posted:

Technically yours isn't one.

True - you and I've got avatars of our IRL selves instead.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

DoctorWhat posted:

True - you and I've got avatars of our IRL selves instead.

Yeah, but I'm less embarrassed by mine.

I'm joking. Hugs.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I think you'll find I am in all of my avatars

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Bicyclops posted:

The most bizarre thing about Something Awful Doctor Who is that in all three threads, there are posters talking about the other threads as though they are an entirely separate culture that they're incapable of interacting with, even though the people posting in all three threads are, by and large, the same and mostly saying the exact same thing in each thread.

My God...are we...are we The Almost People? :ohdear:

Quick, is there someone who sort of looks like me posting in another thread?!?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

CobiWann posted:

Quick, is there someone who sort of looks like me posting in another thread?!?

Don't worry about it, man.

Let Zygons be bygones.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

DoctorWhat posted:

Let Zygons be bygones.

May you find yourself trapped on a 16-hour airline flight with a long-legged, gobby mouthed Australian stewardess.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

DoctorWhat posted:

Let Zygons be bygones.

BOOOO! BOOO THIS MAN!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

CobiWann posted:

May you find yourself trapped on a 16-hour airline flight with a long-legged, gobby mouthed Australian stewardess.

I'm not Australian

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The fact that the B-Plot of Day of the Doctor exists in large part to set up (but never actually explicate) that pun is one of the little things that adds a bit of joy to my every waking hour.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

ALSO: I call dibs on making that joke in the Toxx thread.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I am a loving newborn when it comes to Doctor Who, and I've never felt intimidated or scared off by the people here.

But it's like all the negative accusations flung at this thread resemble so many other Doctor Who discussions around the internet so I'm amused by them anyway. It's like someone teleported in from 1997 saying, "you can't argue with them about their precious little show! They're hopeless! Beyond redemption!"

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I've been watching the new Who for a while, though skipped a few episodes here and there (Vampires of Venice maybe? Dinosaurs on a Spaceship?), but that's alright. I've been digging this season though, thoughts;

I like the new Doctor quite a bit, it's been making me jolly to think there's upward of four or five seasons of Peter Capaldi running around. I also like Clara more this season. I couldn't really work out what her role was meant to be beforehand due to the spotty nature of the way I watch. She goes back through time to save the Doctor or something? Then Matt Smith emotionally blackmails her because she doesn't like his head? Whichever, I try to ignore the stuff that doesn't make much sense to me as I'm assuming there's stuff in previous episodes I haven't seen, but for the most part it's good. Although now I'm thinking about it a little more, there are some other things I don't really get

- There was a scene where the male teacher starts crying. There was one particular shot that lingered on his eyeballs, it just seemed really out of place, so much so it's stuck with me four or five weeks later. I know I'm being pernickity about a single shot but that leads me to

- Any time anybody shows the Doctor physical affection he stops and looks like he's about to cry. I have nothing wrong with watching people cry, but these particular scenes of emotional response stick out a bit in amongst all the robot stuff.

- And why are there so many robots? I know there's always been robots in Doctor Who, most of the iconic villains are robotic in some way, but I do like a nicely designed alien rather than a cubist man.

- I liked the first run of episodes besides the last one, as the whole thing felt rushed and didn't make much sense upon thinking about it actively. The episode built up to the moment where the aliens were reunited, but it didn't really feel as though it was earned. And to have a bank heist episode just then be slapping open huge air vents seems a bit of a wasted concept.

- I'm also bored of the villains that have some sort of gimmick that requires the viewer to consider reducing normal functions. Don't blink! Don't breathe! Don't think! Is there going to be an alien that requires people to sit up straight or move the tip of their tongue from the roof of the mouth?

- I like that the doctor appears to be more of a scientist, so that's good. I do like a lot of the show besides the niggles I have, I just see what it could potentially be and it doesn't quite hit the mark.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

justcola posted:

- Any time anybody shows the Doctor physical affection he stops and looks like he's about to cry. I have nothing wrong with watching people cry, but these particular scenes of emotional response stick out a bit in amongst all the robot stuff.

That's just a running joke from the first episode of this season - this particular incarnation of the Doctor told Clara he's not a "hugging person" and she told him he didn't get any say in the matter and hugged him anyway. I'm fairly certain that in every episode since then somebody has hugged him while he's cringed and done his best to put up with it.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

DoctorWhat posted:

These are the other threads then, hmm? A dandy and a clown?

Just flagging up I made this joke a few threads back (episode 1?) about the other threads.

Next time it rolls around let's make another note of it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

justcola posted:

or move the tip of their tongue from the roof of the mouth?
I had no idea I did this, and am now keenly aware of my own tongue.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

LividLiquid posted:

I had no idea I did this, and am now keenly aware of my own tongue.

Do yourself a favor, never look up Cymothoa exigua and pray that Moffat never does either :ohdear:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Do yourself a favor, never look up Cymothoa exigua and pray that Moffat never does either :ohdear:

What's the matter, cat fish got your tongue?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

justcola posted:

I've been watching the new Who for a while, though skipped a few episodes here and there (Vampires of Venice maybe? Dinosaurs on a Spaceship?), but that's alright.

You should fix this. Dinosaurs on a Spaceship is a good fun episode for the most part :allears:.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

justcola posted:

- I'm also bored of the villains that have some sort of gimmick that requires the viewer to consider reducing normal functions. Don't blink! Don't breathe! Don't think! Is there going to be an alien that requires people to sit up straight or move the tip of their tongue from the roof of the mouth?

Hahaha yeah, that does seem to be the horror wheelhouse of New Who. There's also the "Don't look at it" from Listen (and to a lesser extent "Don't get distracted!" for Clara while she was flying the TARDIS). It doesn't bother me nearly as much, although I think the "Don't think!" one was pushing it a little. It's a quick way to build tension and force the audience and characters to live in the moment, to stay hyper-focused on something they can barely control. They're basically all variations of something stomping around while we're hiding under the bed, trying not to make a sound and controlling our breathing.

Still, hopefully they don't have a monster that only preys on the sick so that the Doctor has to tell everyone not to cough.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You should fix this. Dinosaurs on a Spaceship is a good fun episode for the most part :allears:.

Vampires of Venice is one of my favorites from season 5, that one's totally worth checking out too

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Bicyclops posted:

Still, hopefully they don't have a monster that only preys on the sick so that the Doctor has to tell everyone not to cough.

"Oh god, the drowsiness monster! Okay everyone, keep alert, and whatever you do: Don't. Yawn."

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

A monster that reacts to heartbeats. Also with very good hearing.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

ALWAYS WORTH POSTING:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I think you'll find I am in all of my avatars

And I have to say, you look adorable in your little Adric suit next to Davidson. :allears:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Fungah! posted:

Vampires of Venice is one of my favorites from season 5, that one's totally worth checking out too

I liked that one too. Dinosaurs on a Spaceship was a littke more skippable, but Rory's dad was a good character.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

Hahaha yeah, that does seem to be the horror wheelhouse of New Who. There's also the "Don't look at it" from Listen (and to a lesser extent "Don't get distracted!" for Clara while she was flying the TARDIS). It doesn't bother me nearly as much, although I think the "Don't think!" one was pushing it a little. It's a quick way to build tension and force the audience and characters to live in the moment, to stay hyper-focused on something they can barely control. They're basically all variations of something stomping around while we're hiding under the bed, trying not to make a sound and controlling our breathing.

Curse of the Black Spot says hi.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

It's like back in the 60's when they kept introducing weird robot enemies hoping that they'd become the next Daleks.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

PoshAlligator posted:

Just flagging up I made this joke a few threads back (episode 1?) about the other threads.

Next time it rolls around let's make another note of it.

I think you'll find the first person to make a Three Doctors joke about the threads was me, Jakiri :smugdog:

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
"It reads mind waves, going through your neurons, searching for a very particular type of sensory input that comes from the skin. It's hungry. Whatever you do: Ignore.That. Itch!"

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Oh, it looks like the show's on late tonight (20:30). And Peter Capaldi was on the Graham Norton Show last night, apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I think you'll find the first person to make a Three Doctors joke about the threads was me, Jakiri :smugdog:

I can't wait until there are five threads.

• Locked thread