Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Flameingblack posted:

That art style is unique, and I'd probably read it for that reason alone. It's not the final art? Is it gonna be replaced by the DC house style?
They still have to edit in the severed arms, obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withheldmcfakename
Oct 30, 2011

did you know that
knuckles once smoked
out of a bong made
out of a disco ball?
Hey, I'm looking through the OP, and after finishing the main New 52 Batbooks -- until Dark City in October -- I'm moving on to the next one on the list, the Detective Comics run...which OP hasn't read. Anyone got any recommendations/Amazon links of a volume to start at?

e: I'm thinking this , but I'd rather be sure. :haw:

withheldmcfakename fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Sep 17, 2014

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

withheldmcfakename posted:

Hey, I'm looking through the OP, and after finishing the main New 52 Batbooks -- until Dark City in October -- I'm moving on to the next one on the list, the Detective Comics run...which OP hasn't read. Anyone got any recommendations/Amazon links of a volume to start at?

Don't do it.

Tony Daniel is not a great artist and an even worse writer.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
So far I think the only issues worth reading in Detective Comics are 30-34 and the 3rd Annual. I wouldn't even bother with the rest of it.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

withheldmcfakename posted:

Tec hasn't been worth reading since Snyder left, sad to say. Tony Daniel's run is worthless and John Layman's was super-dull.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
Didn't Finch get a swing on that one too?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Was Taters posted:

Didn't Finch get a swing on that one too?
According to comicbookdb, no (I couldn't remember for sure). He did have creative control with The Dark Knight, which was worse than any of those Tec runs.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

redbackground posted:

According to comicbookdb, no (I couldn't remember for sure). He did have creative control with The Dark Knight, which was worse than any of those Tec runs.

Oh that's right. drat that was a terrible book.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I can't believe DC had Alex Maleev for a little while and put him on TDK :(

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Is the DK still being published?

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Madkal posted:

Is the DK still being published?
No, it was cancelled some time ago.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Teenage Fansub posted:

I can't believe DC had Alex Maleev for a little while and put him on TDK :(

I like Maleev so much that I'm reading Empire of the Dead. That's dedication, baby.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

So, I've been hearing a lot of good things about Year Zero, and Snyder's run in general. But, I usually go for TPB's rather than single issues. Have his stories all been collected? And if not, is there a reading list for the singles? I wanted to look into Court of Owls as well.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Canemacar posted:

So, I've been hearing a lot of good things about Year Zero, and Snyder's run in general. But, I usually go for TPB's rather than single issues. Have his stories all been collected? And if not, is there a reading list for the singles? I wanted to look into Court of Owls as well.

It gets collected at DC's regular pace, which is to say, Glacially. There are definitely collected editions of his pre-reboot stuff (Black Mirror, which was in Detective Comics) and his first Batman run (Court of Owls), and second (Death of the Family - you can skip this).

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Canemacar posted:

The reading list for the singles is...read them in order?

Specifically:
Court of Owls: 1–12 (two trades)
Death of the Family: 13–17 (one trade)
Some filler one-shots: 18–20 (not actually collected in any trades, should have been put at the end of the DotF collection)
Zero Year: 21–33 (well, #28 is a Batman Eternal something-or-other, you can skip that one) (only one hardcover so far, the rest still to be collected, but they will)
#34, the first issue after the Zero Year arc, just came out.

Here's the comicbookdb page for the title for easy reference in the future.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Sep 19, 2014

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

redbackground posted:

The reading list for the singles is...read them in order?

Specifically:
Court of Owls: 1–12 (two trades)
Death of the Family: 13–17 (one trade)
Some filler one-shots: 18–20 (not actually collected in any trades, should have been put at the end of the DotF collection)
Zero Year: 21–33 (well, #28 is a Batman Eternal something-or-other, you can skip that one) (only one hardcover so far, the rest still to be collected, but they will)
#34 just came out.

Here's the comicbookdb page for the title for easy reference in the future.

Thanks for that. Wasn't sure which I could skip or if the storylines were spread across multiple books.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Canemacar posted:

Thanks for that. Wasn't sure which I could skip or if the storylines were spread across multiple books.

Court of arrows and death in the family did have tie ins with the other titles, but they are really not important and you can get everything in just the Batman issues. The one other title you should read was Batman Incorporated as an event happened there that impacted all the titles. You should also read the rest of Morrisons batrun since its worth it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The second hardcover for Zero Year is meant to be out in a few weeks.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Sep 20, 2014

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The second hardcover for Zero Year is meant to be out in a few weeks.

Last time I checked my local shop, they still didn't have the first softcover of Zero Year, so I still haven't read it. It's amazing how slow DC is to bring their issues to trade considering Marvel has been doing it maybe a month after the last issue is released.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I think Secret City is out in paperback around the same time as Dark City is out in hardcover.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Last time I checked my local shop, they still didn't have the first softcover of Zero Year, so I still haven't read it. It's amazing how slow DC is to bring their issues to trade considering Marvel has been doing it maybe a month after the last issue is released.

If you are going to wait for softcovers you are going to be waiting to for a long time (probably going to finish the whole thing in a year and half to two years) welcome to DC's trade policy.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Batman Eternal was good this week, art was poo poo and I still don't like the way they're pushing Julia and Harper or the teases about a relationship between Barbara/Jason and Harper/Tim or how the Hush storyline is a rehash of Knightfall/Batman RIP with a far less believable mastermind but the actual interaction between Barbara, Jason and Tim was very enjoyable.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Thanks to whoever recommended Batman Confidential 49 in an old thread, it's a great little Batman-as-detective story.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Sep 26, 2014

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
How can Snyder write Batman so well and then write Batman Eternal and it's so bad? I'd try to pin it on Tynion but I can't imagine that one man could be that much of an albatross around Snyder's neck, even if Tynion is the worst writer to put pen to paper. I mean, there's just so much groanworthy stuff in it. Like, maybe after the reader finds out the new character/police commissioner is actually a bad guy (shocker :geno:), he couldn't start going around acting like a crazy villain trying to incite martial law immediately.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

TwoPair posted:

How can Snyder write Batman so well and then write Batman Eternal and it's so bad? I'd try to pin it on Tynion but I can't imagine that one man could be that much of an albatross around Snyder's neck, even if Tynion is the worst writer to put pen to paper. I mean, there's just so much groanworthy stuff in it. Like, maybe after the reader finds out the new character/police commissioner is actually a bad guy (shocker :geno:), he couldn't start going around acting like a crazy villain trying to incite martial law immediately.

I kind of like Eternal and I'm assuming that Snyder and co are plotting the issues so I don't think it would be absolutely fair to say he is sucking at it.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

TwoPair posted:

Well Tynion writing lacked any subtlety on RHATO:

So is possible.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Madkal posted:

I kind of like Eternal and I'm assuming that Snyder and co are plotting the issues so I don't think it would be absolutely fair to say he is sucking at it.

I guess I used a little too much hyperbole there as I have enjoyed some of Eternal, (after all I am still reading it), but it's so darn hit-and-miss for me, and I just find it crazy that those misses can be coming from the guy who wrote Zero Year which I pretty much enjoyed start to finish.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I doubt he's doing anything but broadly overseeing the plot like a TV showrunner.

"Okay, so Batgirl, Batwoman and Red Hood are in South America at this toy factory, meanwhile there's a riot at Blackgate and Tim is training Harper. Okay you write this and you write this and you write that. Okay see ya."

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Gotham Academy is pretty good you guys. Check it out next week.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Eternal keeps being poo poo (the Hush origin is stupid and doesn't gives a reason for Bruce to fear him), Detective was fantastic and Academy had some really pretty art but I got the feeling being tied to Batman is gonna be more of a hidrance than a perk. In any case it didn't do anything for me :shrug:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Gotham Academy was really nice. It completely skews tween-young teen, so I hope it actually finds that audience.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Oh, almost forgot. I was really bothered by Grayson sudden sex scene and while the ending was meant to convey how hosed up the situation is, I couldn't help but feel like they were trying too hard and going just for the shock value.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Oh, almost forgot. I was really bothered by Grayson sudden sex scene and while the ending was meant to convey how hosed up the situation is, I couldn't help but feel like they were trying too hard and going just for the shock value.

Its trying to be like Nick Fury: Agent of Shield and Bond, so the sex and violence is not that shocking. Not sure if it works with Dick, but at least that seems to be the point of the book right now.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Gotham Academy was pretty good; I really liked Maps and the art was amazing. I'm still not sure about the main character and her backstory so far, but I'm willing to wait until more issue fill that out more.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

bobkatt013 posted:

Its trying to be like Nick Fury: Agent of Shield and Bond, so the sex and violence is not that shocking. Not sure if it works with Dick, but at least that seems to be the point of the book right now.

That's the thing, it doesn't work (so far at least) with Dick's character. In theory it should work since Dick is essentially playing a role as agent 37 but those two facets of his character don't mesh well and comes off like is two characters.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

That's the thing, it doesn't work (so far at least) with Dick's character. In theory it should work since Dick is essentially playing a role as agent 37 but those two facets of his character don't mesh well and comes off like is two characters.

They point that very issue out in this issue. He is still trying to be himself and a secret agent, but they do not mesh. The conflict is going to be can he be Dick or agent 37.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

bobkatt013 posted:

They point that very issue out in this issue. He is still trying to be himself and a secret agent, but they do not mesh. The conflict is going to be can he be Dick or agent 37.

Hope they can give a satisfactory conclusion to the conflict then.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Yeah the sex scene felt kind of too much and not in line with Dick's character. I think Seely and King are trying too hard to capitalize on Dick's attractiveness to the audience but it isn't really in character for him to sleep with a woman he met on the same day. That aside I liked the rest of the issue and thought the ending set some pretty interesting things up.

Chiming in that I enjoyed Gotham Academy a lot. It worked really well as a standalone story, the art was nice and the humor good natured. A strong kickoff to the creative changes the Batline is going through this month.

lotus circle fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Oct 2, 2014

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I really digged Gotham Academy. It introduced the characters well enough, and it just felt like a natural introduction without forcing anything or doing anything stupid and shocking. Plus it feels like a comic I could give to my niece to read as well (what with the lack of limb removals and what not).
I really liked the second half of Grayson more than the first and it is quite noticeable that Dick is getting tired of the poo poo that is being asked of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm actually enjoying Grayson more than I thought I would, given its premise, but I'm wondering how in the world they're going to keep the plot going. Like, already, by issue 3, Spyral's already caught on to Dick sending out his broadcasts and are cracking more and more hero identities. It feels like the overarching plot's moving too fast. I mean, sure, we all know that sooner or later Dick's going to go back to being Nightwing, but at this rate Grayson's going to last 5 issues because he's going to get busted in issue 4 and dramatically escape in 5.

Also drat Detective Comics has some pretty art. As opposed to Eternal which has some very not pretty art.

• Locked thread