Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

I would love if metric became the standard notation for recipes in America, but I can not and will never be able to conceptualize the length of a kilometer. Like I know a mile is 1.6 kilometers, but I can't judge distances in kilometers.

It's about 10 minutes walk at a brisk pace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

R. Mute posted:

i'm experimenting :kiddo:

i'm just being a bored jerk. I think I remember Alton Brown drying something or another with an oven.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's about 10 minutes walk at a brisk pace.

Its all relative, anyways.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

judge out a mile and then cut it half mentally

congrats you now have about a kilometer

5/8ths is closer

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

My Imaginary GF posted:

Lmao how many grammes of peppers are you drying out?

Imperial units rule.

Dealing with the fact that 16 tablespoons goes into a cup, 3 teaspoons goes into a tablespoon and everything having to do with pounds and ounces does not in fact rule.

SedanChair posted:

Evangelicals believe magic is real and Satanic.

Then wouldn't the correct thing to do be to confidently eat halal meat knowing that your faith in god will armor you against the inferior power of Satan? It seems like cringening in fear suggests that you're lacking in faith or that you secretly think Satan is more powerful.

GhostofJohnMuir fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Sep 26, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Christians are actually terrified all the time.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
the only metric unit of measurement i am even vaguely comfortable with is celsius. 0 and below is cold and bad, 10 is cold but not bad, 20 is good, 30 is too hot. 40 is outta control. anything between those numbers is just shades.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Taeke posted:

What about meters and centimeters? Or gallons?

Honestly curious, because I'm European and I can conceptualize a mile quite easily, but feet and inches take some effort.

Centimeters are easy because they're right next to inches on every tape measure and ruler.

Meters are doable because they're about three feet.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

rscott posted:

5/8ths is closer

Yeah, but halving / doubling is good enough for doing things like estimating travel times and such.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

imperial units are fine for bullshit that doesn't matter but the moment I need precision i use metric

My job is literally measuring things very precisely (down to the ten thousandth of an inch) and we still use imperial units because I don't know why the gently caress anymore, Boeing farms poo poo out all over the world

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The only drug I use is the only one that still uses the imperial system so I'm good.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
At least liters are pretty much just quarts.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

zoux posted:

The only drug I use is the only one that still uses the imperial system so I'm good.

last time i bought weed it was it grams so i actually don't know what drug you mean. huffing gas? that comes in gallons still

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I've never bought weed by the gram.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Swan Oat posted:

the only metric unit of measurement i am even vaguely comfortable with is celsius. 0 and below is cold and bad, 10 is cold but not bad, 20 is good, 30 is too hot. 40 is outta control. anything between those numbers is just shades.

I'm completely useless with Fahrenheit except knowing that body temperature is about 100F. I couldn't tell you the temperature at the moment and be confident I was within 20 degrees.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Big money up there buys weed by the kilo.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

maybe my dealer was weird

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

but also i never bought more than maybe 10-15 grams at a time.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I've known of guys who sold by the gram but all my guys have always sold by the fraction of the ounce.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ReidRansom posted:

but also i never bought more than maybe 10-15 grams at a time.

15 grams is a half ounce, i usually buy by the quarter.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

DemeaninDemon posted:

Big money up there buys weed by the kilo.

Smart money sells you a pound and charges you a kilo

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Securities and Exchange Commission

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Someone please sell me some weed.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

reported

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's going to be so weird in 10 years when the SCOTUS has made weed legal to go to a weed store and buy it and not have to eye the dwindling supply in your bag and worry about a)your guy being around and b) your guy being in stock.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I'm completely useless with Fahrenheit except knowing that body temperature is about 100F. I couldn't tell you the temperature at the moment and be confident I was within 20 degrees.

basically think of fahrenheit as a rating of 0-100 on temperature that some german guy (??) came up with where 0 is probably the coldest you will experience and 100 is the hottest

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Capitalism and marketing will probably destroy weed though. THere is no happiness.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

it's kinda funny that dealers are probably among the most Americans comfortable with the metric system

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

euphronius posted:

Capitalism and marketing will probably destroy weed though. THere is no happiness.

That might be true if you couldn't grow all the weed you could ever smoke in your garden in your backyard.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

ReidRansom posted:

it's kinda funny that dealers are probably among the most Americans comfortable with the metric system

If you ever wanna know if someone smokes, ask someone you suspect how much an eighth of an ounce is in grams

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Your neighbor Bob's weed is greener and grows higher because he shops at lowe's and you have poor drainage and light because a neighbor wont cut down her loving tree and now clinging and suffering.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

euphronius posted:

Your neighbor Bob's weed is greener and grows higher because he shops at lowe's and you have poor drainage and light because a neighbor wont cut down her loving tree and now clinging and suffering.

Actually, Bob's weed is better than Mike's because, while Mike uses a hydroponic setup, Bob grows his in a cornfield.

E

Organic weed for the organic consumer

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

My Imaginary GF posted:

If you ever wanna know if someone smokes, ask someone you suspect how much an eighth of an ounce is in grams

Without using Google or ever having smoked, I'm going to guess about 4.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My Imaginary GF posted:

No just ask if they smoke and if they go "Cigarettes?" then they smoke weed.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Technogeek posted:

it's 7.5

e: oh eighth lol, well that's half of 7.5 which is 3.75.

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Sep 26, 2014

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Swan Oat posted:

basically think of fahrenheit as a rating of 0-100 on temperature that some german guy (??) came up with where 0 is probably the coldest you will experience and 100 is the hottest
rating that as 0-100 would have to be done by someone who lived in a nice, cool climate

E: 4g is pretty close.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Technogeek posted:

zoux posted:

No just ask if they smoke and if they go "Cigarettes?" then they smoke weed.

The crowd I hang around prefer cigars in backrooms with plush leather sedan chairs. Cigarettes are for poors. Its rude to ask if they smoke, as that could imply they're a poor and cause offense.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

rscott posted:

My job is literally measuring things very precisely (down to the ten thousandth of an inch) and we still use imperial units because I don't know why the gently caress anymore, Boeing farms poo poo out all over the world

It's cuz the govt

My Imaginary GF posted:

The crowd I hang around prefer cigars in backrooms with plush leather sedan chairs. Cigarettes are for poors. Its rude to ask if they smoke, as that could imply they're a poor and cause offense.

like those puffy overstuffed leather chairs with the shiny buttons they have in law offices on tv?

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
Cigars do own. I only smoke like one a year though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

D and D now that the new season is upon us : What shows do you watch?

• Locked thread