Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
tazz was pushed hard when he first came in (i think he broke angle's streak) but he really petered out because his offense didn't make any sense for a dude his size and no one was going to sell for/put over a dude who is like 5'4" and uses the moveset of a hoss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

david carmichael posted:

tazz was pushed hard when he first came in (i think he broke angle's streak) but he really petered out because his offense didn't make any sense for a dude his size and no one was going to sell for/put over a dude who is like 5'4" and uses the moveset of a hoss

Tazz in WWF was a weird case. He started off strong by breaking Angle's streak, yeah. But then pretty much right away after that short feud he got beat by HHH and then moved into a never-ending feud with Jerry Lawler that basically killed him dead.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

triplexpac posted:

Tazz in WWF was a weird case. He started off strong by breaking Angle's streak, yeah. But then pretty much right away after that short feud he got beat by HHH and then moved into a never-ending feud with Jerry Lawler that basically killed him dead.

He also came in right as the Radicalz did and they were worth a lot more.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Wasn't he pretty banged up at that point?

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
the triple h thing was funny because vince agreed to let tazz win the ecw title, and let him wear it on wwf teevee, and then immediately made him job to the wwf champion

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

triplexpac posted:

They talk about this on the AE Podcast. He gets over huge when he faces Angle and wins (Though Kurt refuses to concede it) but then they have him destroy the midcard. Problem is that when a guy starts destroying the midcard and that's it, he becomes a midcard wrestler.

It's the same poo poo that's happening with Rusev right now. He's a destroyer...but only of the guys lower down in the roster. We can't have him defeating anyone higher up because that poo poo won't fly.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

DrVenkman posted:

They talk about this on the AE Podcast. He gets over huge when he faces Angle and wins (Though Kurt refuses to concede it) but then they have him destroy the midcard. Problem is that when a guy starts destroying the midcard and that's it, he becomes a midcard wrestler.

It's the same poo poo that's happening with Rusev right now. He's a destroyer...but only of the guys lower down in the roster. We can't have him defeating anyone higher up because that poo poo won't fly.

Rusev has been gradually beating people higher up the card month after month though. Hell Ryback got extremely over by doing jobber squashes for 6 months straight to the point that he became a credible main eventer for a few months.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Goldberg also destroyed the midcard and he got over huge.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

DrVenkman posted:

Goldberg beat up jobbers and midcard guys until he got the US title.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

None of those guys debuted by killing an upper midcard guy then dropping down the card though. You build a guy up not start big and drop them down and keep them there like they did with Tazz. So yeah agree with the AE podcast analysis but not with the Rusev comparisons. His first feud was with Xavier Woods of all people, the lowest of the low card faces.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

ayn rand hand job posted:

Goldberg beat up jobbers and midcard guys until he got the US title.

Jerry Flynn had the block. How could you call him a midcarder?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It wouldn't be the most original angle, but why not put the US title on a well-liked face, then have Rusev beat them for it and have Lana declare it the Russian title? That would get some pretty good heat.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pope Corky the IX posted:

It wouldn't be the most original angle, but why not put the US title on a well-liked face, then have Rusev beat them for it and have Lana declare it the Russian title? That would get some pretty good heat.
the problem is the us title is such a death sentence at this point that any well-liked face you put it on would instantly become a jobber

the mid-card belts are murder at this point and should be retired

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Endorph posted:

the problem is the us title is such a death sentence at this point that any well-liked face you put it on would instantly become a jobber

the mid-card belts are murder at this point and should be retired

Normally, yes, I completely agree with you. But I think this would be a chance to actually make it relevant again, or at least get some great heel heat on Rusev for the "disrespect" of renaming the US title.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Charles Gnarwin posted:

A bit of a bummer when you consider that Tazz didn't get pushed in WWF either.

He did initally, he just got injured at a lovely time.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Bigass Moth posted:

Man, imagine if DDP had gone to WWF in 1999 when they were in serious need of star power.

Imagine if DDP somehow got signed to today's WWE, where his name would be Houston McGuirk.

BANG! YO IT'S ME, IT'S ME, IT'S H.M.G.

oatgan posted:

Rusev has been gradually beating people higher up the card month after month though. Hell Ryback got extremely over by doing jobber squashes for 6 months straight to the point that he became a credible main eventer for a few months.

The difference there is that Ryback had actual jobbers they brought in for him to fight, not just "guys who have been in the midcard for a while and we don't know what to do with them".

Wrestling needs real jobbers. The matches are a foregone conclusion but every once in a while you get a 1-2-3 Kid upset or you get a Bryan Danielson match on Velocity.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Don't they get PPV bonuses? I thought Randy Orton got $1 million for some Wrestlemania.

They get the percentage of PPV revenue they are considered to have drawn based on their place on the card and name value. It's not a bonus although that is what people call it.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

Say Nothing posted:

...the gently caress?

I'm pretty sure this is the guy who played The Huckster in the Billionaire Ted skits. I think they just taxidermied the body.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

DrVenkman posted:

It could with Rusev, he has something Tazz could never learn - an extra like 8 inches of height.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Luigi Thirty posted:

If you wanna ride the Hulk Hogan Raft, brother, you're gonna need to dress appropriately.

either that's a lot of words to say no black people or Hogan can't even go to his own restaurant!

TMZ Sports - Whatcha Gonna Do With 'Racist" Dress Code? DESTROY IT!!

Interesting timing, the place has been open for a year and a half.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Luigi Thirty posted:

If you wanna ride the Hulk Hogan Raft, brother, you're gonna need to dress appropriately.

either that's a lot of words to say no black people or Hogan can't even go to his own restaurant!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaQGFO30sWw

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

I could not possibly despise you more.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

I could not possibly despise you more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXSHI02oQdk

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Nevermind...

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I stared deep into the void and all I saw was Jimmy Hart in pasties.

...there is no god.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Sting month continues tonight with the film classic STING: MOMENT OF TRUTH followed by the WCW VHS release STING: UNMASKED.

http://www.psp-tv.com/r/BadMoviesWorseWrestling

8 pm!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I'm sorry. I'm so sorry.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

Sting month continues tonight with the film classic STING: MOMENT OF TRUTH followed by the WCW VHS release STING: UNMASKED.

http://www.psp-tv.com/r/BadMoviesWorseWrestling

8 pm!
I owned that Sting: Unmasked VHS! It was a double feature with a Goldberg documentary on the same tape. Except the Sting one was kind of shooty and the Goldberg one was 100% kayfabe, so it came across like Goldberg doesn't know that wrestling is fake and that's why he kept winning.

omgomgomg
Oct 26, 2012

Face paint really isn't he same thing as a mask

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

omgomgomg posted:

Face paint really isn't he same thing as a mask

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.

Thank you. I needed that laugh!

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

1st AD posted:

I should point out that in 1999 or thereabouts I posted on a bunch of pro wrestling message boards that Lance Storm should win the US title and then slap a Canadian flag sticker over it to get over as a heel, then they Literally did that on the next TV broadcast.

So Vince Russo is awful AND a plagiarist.

Terry Taylor, actually. He was the one responsible for booking Storm in that period.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I used to watch my Sting unmasked and Sting Back In Black tapes allllll the time as kid. I remember unmasked being pretty good but the more I watched the more I realized how badly WCW used him after starcade and how much time he used to be out. He also really didn't have a lot of notable matches either. I wish you guys did this on the weekend when i'm off work. :(

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

We didn't watch Unmasked, we figured it would be full of Starrcade spoilers. We watched a horrible lifetime movie about how great child abuse camps are.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I had the "Deadly Venom: Best of Sting" VHS tape as a kid and remember it being really cool - you guys should track that down

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

RBX posted:

I used to watch my Sting unmasked and Sting Back In Black tapes allllll the time as kid. I remember unmasked being pretty good but the more I watched the more I realized how badly WCW used him after starcade and how much time he used to be out. He also really didn't have a lot of notable matches either. I wish you guys did this on the weekend when i'm off work. :(

Sting: Unmasked has been rescheduled for Tuesday after Starrcade, probably around 11. Still not the weekend but hey you never know!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

MassRafTer posted:

Sting: Unmasked has been rescheduled for Tuesday after Starrcade, probably around 11. Still not the weekend but hey you never know!

What, Tuesday might suddenly become the weekend?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Normally, yes, I completely agree with you. But I think this would be a chance to actually make it relevant again, or at least get some great heel heat on Rusev for the "disrespect" of renaming the US title.

Have Rusev steal the actual title and annex it as the Russian title

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011

1st AD posted:

I should point out that in 1999 or thereabouts I posted on a bunch of pro wrestling message boards that Lance Storm should win the US title and then slap a Canadian flag sticker over it to get over as a heel, then they Literally did that on the next TV broadcast.

So Vince Russo is awful AND a plagiarist.

Even if Terry Taylor did read this off some message board and decided to do it, it wouldn't make him a "plagiarist." He's not in a college seminar, he's booking a wrestling show: there's really not a need to cite sources. A basic idea like that is transformed into an original work as soon as it's put into a new medium or context, anyway.

I think whoever mentioned the Radicalz signing is right when it comes to why Tazz was not made a focus after his intro was so hyped. I remember there was some heat on him in the locker room, and, as mentioned, Vince or somebody presumably noticed that he's tiny and could never main event, and then after they signed Benoit and Guerrero, they had nothing for him to do in the middle of Wrestlemania buildup, so he ends up being in the ring with Hardcore Holly and the Headbangers for Wrestlemania (and not even winning).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The size thing should have been meaningless if WWE bothered to try (see Taz in ECW murdering guys like 911), but it's WWE.