Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Dr_Amazing posted:

There was more too it right? I'm sure it ended with with him calling bullshit on Ant's military service and getting beat down.
This post happened, but was not the end of the story. Stan was too good of a character.

50 Foot Ant Presents: The Stan Saga posted:

That's when he agreed to let her undo the bandage. When we see what is obviously a sunburn, we all start laughing at him, and he yanks it away from my wife, who is telling him how to care for it.

Stan: "What the gently caress do you know?" (Obviously pissed)
Wife: (Calmly) "I was a 91 Alpha for 4 years before they made us requalify into 91B and got rid of my MOS."
Stan: "What the gently caress is that?" (Way to go, Mr. Ex-Ranger, not recognising the most common MOS outside of infantry)
Wife: "It's combat medic. Now hold your arm out so I can put the bandage back on"
Stan: "Women weren't allowed to be combat medics! Don't loving lie to me, I was a Ranger!"
Hawk: "Maybe in Vietnam they weren't allowed, but they have been since like the mid-80's."
Stan: "Bullshit! I was a loving Ranger, I oughta loving know."
Me: "Drop it Stan."
Stan: "I know what I'm talking about, women can't be in combat!"
Me: "That changed in Panama, asswipe, women fight now."
Stan: "What the gently caress would you know? I'm right, I was a Ranger, I know things you don't, civilian." And his smug arm crossing is ruined when one arm brushes the other and he yelps and jumps.
Me: "What?"
Stan: "You loving heard me. I wasn't some loving civilian, I fought in Desert Storm, I was a Ranger, and I know that women aren't allowed to be combat medics!"

I kind of blow my cool. I start screaming questions at him.

Me: "Where did you go to Airborne?" (For a while they offered it in Turkey (actually Crete) if you were in Europe and needed to go)
Stan: "You wouldn't have heard of it, it's classified!"
Me: "What's the maximum effective range of an unmodified M-16A2 assault rifle?"
Stan: "What?"
Me: "What was your PT score?"
Stan: "100% before I hurt my back."
Me: "What unit were you in? Who was your loving CO? Who was your Platoon Leader?"
Stan: "That's classified!"
Hawk: (Sounding pissed) "Recite the Ranger's Creed, you fat motherfucker."
Stan: "Death from above!" (I remember that clearly)
Me: "Recite your Three General Orders!"
Stan: "Those are classified!"
Me: "You don't know poo poo, you loving liar. You never were even in the military! You learn half that poo poo in Basic."

I was pissed. Really pissed. This fucker had been talking poo poo for 2 years while I kept my mouth shut because I was trying to put my time in the military behind me. While I tried to forget the Highway to Hell and everything else I'd witnessed and been part of. IN my mind, this motherfucker was making GBS threads on every loving thing I'd ever been through, on my friends, on the people I'd lost, on all the blood, pain, misery, and fear I'd been through.

In my defense for what happened, this was before I was put on medication.

Stan had run out of breath yelling back, and sat down. He folded his arms, looking up at me and breathing heavy.

Stan: "Shut the gently caress up, civilian. I served my country."
Me: "What unit were you with in Desert Storm?"
Stan: "That's classified, and at least I went to war."
Me: "What Regiment are the Rangers part of?"
Stan: "Classified, and I'm not telling some civilian who was too chickenshit to join up and go to war like you."

This whole time Fatback has been trying to get Stan to shut up. Stans last pronouncement left him just standing there looking at him.

Missy stepped up and grabbed one of my arms, Hawk grabbed my other.

Missy: "Stan, you don't know what the gently caress you're talking about."
Stan: "Shut up, bitch. Don't think I won't slap you because you're a woman."

Missy just let go of my arm, and started picking her stuff up.

Stan: "That's right, you better leave."

My wife had picked up our gaming stuff, and stood up.

Wife: "Stan, you're an rear end in a top hat and a liar."

Stan: "gently caress you, whore."

Hawk just let go of my arm and stepped back.

I backhanded him so loving hard he came clear out of the chair, bloodied his mouth and nose, and left a bruise on his cheek that was there when I came back in a week later and saw that girl's panties on the cork board. I set my legs and put my loving hips into it hard enough that my knuckles were swollen for about 2 days.

If Hawk hadn't of grabbed me by the collar of my jacket, I would have taken the loving boots to him.

Fatback told me to leave, Hawk drug me out of the store.

Best part? We went to a loving bar, and guess who walked in looking for the man who "suckerpunched and beat up mah baby boy!"

God I hated that town.

Skyscraper fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Sep 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.

Skyscraper posted:

This happened

Nothing 50ft ant has ever said has ever actually happened.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Rannos22 posted:

Nothing 50ft ant has ever said has ever actually happened.

Oh, sorry, I should have rephrased that. This post happened, I meant to say.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Here we go again.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

BatteredFeltFedora posted:

Here we go again.

Quick, tell a gaming story to get us back on track!

I have some from my last campaign, but I'm running some goons through the same content (it is because I am lazy), and I don't want to drop spoilers on my own campaign.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

Rannos22 posted:

<Someone who doesn't learn from past threads>

Don't start this loving discussion. Just loving drop it and post a gaming story.

I have a brief "silly quote taken out of context" from a recent Pathfinder session!

"No, B, that is 100% cannibalism."

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Skyscraper posted:

Quick, tell a gaming story to get us back on track!

Right, time to atone for my part in this stupidity. This is all according to memory from more than fifteen years ago, any incoherence in the story is probably my fault.

My high school group of friends was playing AD&D 2e, because this was the last years of the 90s, when Wizards of the Coast had acquired TSR and excited rumors of the upcoming Third Edition were flying, but we didn't know what exactly would come out of the new edition. We reveled in our imaginations, and also the Geek Social Fallacies.

In that spirit, perhaps, we decided to play a short adventure that the DM had partly worked up, to see how it flowed and help him improve his skills both a planning and improv, and dealing with the unexpected. We built characters at 8th level, if I remember right - none of us had cottoned to the fact that 8th level meant different power levels in that edition, because we had learned the rules from scratch, without the benefit of received wisdom from elder gamers telling us how to do it right. We were also kind of impatient and thought we were a lot smarter than we were, with a good grasp on the game rules enough that messing around and house ruling could only make the game better.

In other words, we were kind of dumb teenage nerds.

Anyway, the DM said to go a little crazy with characters, try some unorthodox things from sources other than the straight PHB. I don't quite remember what most of the other PCs made, but they pretty much fulfilled his request. One player who usually played clerics decided to put together a specialty priest of Death (the rest of us didn't quite realize what that implied until someone called for healing and she grinned, telling us she couldn't cast healing spells - that lead to some panic). I rolled a ranger, but made him a falcon hengeyokai, who fought with a staff. I think I just liked the picture of the Kenku in the 2e Monstrous Compendium. And rangers, I liked rangers.

We had a grand ol' time making the characters, brainstorming zany ideas and cool badasses, and trying to figure out how to build them in AD&D. I happened to have a copy of the old Dragon 250 Archive, so we had some resources to use so long as we could figure the search function out. One of the girls in our group ran Tarot readings for the PCs to help figure out motivations, goals, relationships between PCs and NPCs. Really helped flesh out the characters, and it's an approach I've used sporadically in building subsequent characters when the mood strikes. Lot of fun.

The star of the story was Josh, who came up with some sort of nebulous multiclass elf, which in hindsight makes perfect sense. It's long enough ago now that I've forgotten the precise mix, but it doesn't really matter, because it was wholly irrelevant bullshit anyway.

So we get to playing, and somewhere early along the line Josh's character did the brooding loner thing and went off on his own to get into trouble. Wanting the adventure to happen with us all together (freak mystical transportation, so we all needed to be in one place) the DM contrived to have him confronted by town guards of some sort to nudge him back towards the rest of the group. Josh declared that this was heinous railroading fuckery of the worst sort, and attacked the guards, who promptly wrapped him in a net and were dragging him back to the plot.

(I'm not going to pretend that mistakes weren't made on both sides. Like I said, we were dumb teenagers who didn't really know how to handle conflict.)

This is where the actual class(es) of Josh's character ceased to be important. Josh declared that his character was using his psionics to break the net and get up to fight the guards again.

DM: You don't have psionics, you're not a psionicist.
Josh: Yes I do. I'm a Wild Talent, it's right here!

Sure enough, in tiny writing, under "equipment", Josh had scribbled in something that looked like it might have been "Wild Talent". No further clarification on which talent. The DM shook his head - he was one of the few DMs of the 2e era that was familiar with the weirdness that was psionics, but it had a deserved reputation as the tool of cheaters and munchkins, because it was usually a simple matter to bullshit and bewilder a DM who didn't know the (highly optional and rarely used) rules from a dedicated splatbook. You could generally get away with murder.

DM: It doesn't work that way, and anyhow you can't concentrate - they're dragging you down a bumpy road. Look, just hold on so we can get everyone back together and -
Josh: NO! Fine! If I can't use my psionics I'm telepathically summoning my companion dragon. I fly in and use my breath weapon on the guards!

At this point the rest of us at the table just sort of went "What?" In the ensuing nerd-argument, it came out that Josh had taken the DM's request to make oddball characters as "make the most stupidly powerful munchkinized character you can dream up using obscure rulesets", and had half-remembered a Dragon Magazine article about playing a dragon servant that could call on their master.

Now it clicked for me. I owned the Council of Wyrms boxed set. He was talking about vassals. CoW was a 2e setting for dragon PCs. For places that were too small for dragons to explore (they couldn't all shapeshift), you might choose to play your demihuman "vassal" character, who you would send into crypts and whatnot.

Mr. Psi-elf was a vassal. Josh expected to be able to play the dragon PC as well. It hadn't been on his character sheet, either. The DM said no.

Josh threw a fit. An honest-to-god screaming tantrum. How dare we tell him he can't play his character? All the rest of us got to make the characters we wanted, why were we picking on him? We were all so mean!

But the DM, backed by the rest of us, stuck to his guns. Josh was shocked by this, and this is where the story goes from "bad player" to "thread-worthy": Because Josh threatened us all with a curse.

Turns out our fellow player was a wizard. A real one, in real life. And by god, he was going to curse us all. We'd all suffer for this, see if we didn't! He promised us that we'd regret the way we treated him.

He grabbed his stuff and stormed out. After the laughter died down, we got on with the game.

And that's the story of how I got cursed by a real-life wizard for being mean in a game of AD&D.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
I was running a Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil campaign. I had a large group and I had told them ahead of time to always keep a spare character on them as this adventure was a meat grinder.

One of my friends had one thing consistent across all of his characters, still does to this day. He always buys a stupid amount of candles. Normally 1 GP worth so he doesn't have to deal with smaller change. This game he was playing a cleric. The party at this point was my friend, a Paladin, Caster Druid, Gnomish Tinkerer, Ranger, Sorcerer and a second Cleric that focused on buffing spells and being a goon.

If memory serves the group was in the basement of the moathouse when they came to a medium sized room with a few casters and archers at the other side of the room with a pool in the middle. Initiative was rolled. My friend went first. He decided he was going to cast silence on one of his candles and throw it into the group of enemies. He cast the spell and I had him roll a check to throw the candle.

Queue the botched roll as the candle fell to the floor. He spent the next three turns picking up the candle and trying to throw it. Each attempt with a natural 1, redropping the candle at his feet.

Eventually the combat was won, but sadly the sorcerer didn't finish so well and ended up eating a few too many arrows.

blackswordca fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Sep 26, 2014

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

BatteredFeltFedora posted:

And that's the story of how I got cursed by a real-life wizard for being mean in a game of AD&D.

Did it work?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

chitoryu12 posted:

Did it work?

Oh. OH GOD!

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Welp, my next story pales in comparison to the Ballad of Stan. Yeesh. I guess all the people I know are just a little bit too socially well-adjusted.

Really, this is just a bit about some viking hat DMing and, if I'm being honest, me getting mad about a stupid elfgame.

It was 2nd Ed. D&D, many moons ago. I'd created a pretty run-of-the-mill fighter with an orphan background who'd been saved from the fire that claimed the lives of his parents by a paladin. This instilled in him a tremendous respect for the paladin's order and, though that paladin had died long before my fighter began his adventuring career, he sought to do his hero proud. The character was essentially a good man who wanted to become a better man, but who had an unreasonably poor opinion of himself because he held himself to an impossible standard. At least, that was the concept I started with.

The game began well, and continued well for a few sessions. Then the DM decides to start tinkering with my character's background - which normally I wouldn't care for, but in this case I let it slide. Turns out he was adopted, and in truth was a half-angel. He sprouts wings one day, and over the course of the next couple sessions begins developing powerful abilities. I think he had full-fledged angelic powers by session six.

Repeatedly while this was happening, I'd occasionally take the DM aside to talk with him. The typical conversation would go something like this:

Me: That's quite the boost you gave my character.
DM: I know. Don't you like it?
Me: Well, it's cool and all... It definitely changes my concept of the character from an everyman to a superman, but I can roll with it. I'm just worried about game balance issues if you keep this up.
DM: Ah, but I have a plan.
Me: Yeah, I get the feeling you're building up to something... And I'm going to roll with these changes. But I just want to make sure you know what you're doing. I don't want you to realize six, seven games down the road you've made a mistake and yank all this stuff away, since by then I'll have gotten used to them and I'll have altered my character concept accordingly. Plus, being D&D, characters are supposed to get more powerful as time goes on, not less. It would be grating, and I'd honestly rather just not have these powers at all, than have them taken away later.
DM: That's not something I'd do. Don't worry about it.

This conversation, or a variant therein, happened several times (like, at least three times, though I can't remember precisely). Several times I offered to just give up all the stuff he kept telling me to put on my sheet, and even offered a couple in-game explanations for the sudden disappearance of my character's powers. Every time, he assured me there was nothing to worry about, and he knew what he was doing.

My character began getting a bit of a messiah complex, and with his newfound power, started making sweeping changes to the campaign world. He used money from a dragon hoard to build a utopia city, bloodlessly ended a war, and even met his true, angelic mother. He became very politically involved and helped forge webs of alliances between nations to keep the powers of darkness (in this campaign represented by the obligatory evil empire) in check. And in every case, I'd talk with the GM about doing these things beforehand, to make sure he was cool with my character changing his campaign world like that. All in all, I was having a blast, and everyone else seemed to be having a blast, too (though there was, admittedly, a power disparity between us, nobody seemed to mind except me.)

Then came one fateful adventure when my once-simple fighter's Solar mom sends a psychic cry for help; seems one of the purportedly "good" gods has imprisoned her and was proceeding to torture her. After a (very) short bit of soul-searching, my character organizes a strike force to back up the adventuring group, and we go make a raid on heaven. We fight our way to the doorsteps of the god's castle (managing to avoid lethal tactics because, hey, it's heaven) and find ourselves face-to-face with a deity -- who, of course, vastly overpowers us.

It turns out this god, whom my fighter's mother served, had laid down a law that no angel should lay with a mortal, and for her sins she was sentenced to a thousand years of torment. The psychic signal was from the god himself, pretending to be my character's mom, in order to lure me to his domain where reality itself bends to his very whim... So that he could de-power my character and undo the damage his mother had done, making him mortal once more.

Me: Wait... You're taking away all this stuff after you assured me repeatedly, that's exactly what you wouldn't do?
DM: The DM giveth, the DM can taketh away.
Me: Is there any chance that my character would be able to regain his angelic heritage at some future point?
DM: Not a chance, no.
Me: ...I attack the god of light.

The DM, in his "mercy," had the deity bitch-slap my character for a few rounds without killing him, basically humiliating and laughing at him while my character's mother screamed in pain from her first day of her thousand years of torment. Eventually, after I rolled a pretty impressive (but futile) series of criticals, the DM realized I wasn't going to back down, and had the deity fiat-kill me. This outcome came as no surprise to me, of course, and was really a DM-assisted suicide (I was pretty darn mad at my elfgame dude getting nerfed.)

After the game, we talked about it. Apparently, the DM decided that, yeah, he had issues with the imbalance of power within the game and needed to do something about it. And instead of give the other PCs similar boosts or talk to me about it to work something out, he figured he'd just strip away things that had become integral to my character's concept... despite repeatedly assuring me he wouldn't do so. I asked him if anyone else had come to him with any complaints regarding my character, and he admitted that no, as far as he knew, he was the only one to have an issue with my fighter-turned-part-solar. But, he repeated, "The DM giveth, the DM can taketh away."

I informed the DM that I wouldn't be returning to the game. When he asked me why not, I told him, "The player joineth a game, the player can walketh away."

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Oh god.

I should not be allowed to roll my percentile anymore.

So I have the cleric and paladin exploring an abandoned mine. In this mine are a group of cursed zombies. It's a cold metal mine, the fae didn't like it, so one fae cursed the iron so that anyone would touched it would have it flow into their veins, turning them into zombies.

I'm treating them like normal zombies with some DR, only they're more durable and they have the ability to regurgitate a hunk of cold iron, which will harden within a couple rounds. I statted out the body part that would be hit if the players missed their reflex save, with 90% and above being the head/face.

The elf got it in the feet, so his mobility was restricted to zero.

Then the cleric got it in the face.

It's like, I feel glee when I hit them and roll high, but also a small sense of dismay. But mostly glee. I didn't think these enemies were particularly badass, but they get the most :ohdear: expressions when confronted with one. It's kinda awesome.

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

Abi gezunt dos leben ken men zikh ale mol nemen.

Falstaff posted:

"The player joineth a game, the player can walketh away."

The nerdiest :iceburn:.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
One exchange I forgot from my game:

Orc mentions his frozen displacer beast's name - Mrs. displacer (or "Mrs. Whiskers", or something like that)
Dwarf Cleric: "First of all, how do you know it's married. Second, how do you know it's female?"

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Finally caught up on this thread, and figured it should share some more of my ridiculous games.

Since most of the main group could never make it to play the proper campaigns, I just had the three remaining players make new characters for some random pathfinder adventures. There was the very charismatic Ninja, the serial killer lizardman archer, and the plate-mail wearing Ronin. The Ronin was specialized to be excellent at horseback combat, which will make his character interesting later in the game.

A few sessions in, I plan an adventure essentially designed to give them way more money than they know what to do with. They stumbled upon a bandit camp, and managed to track the leader to a secret hidden cave wherein they find an actual ton of gold. Nicely in bars, stolen by the bandits before it was made into coins, the party managed to haul it out of the cave and spend the next couple weeks in game trying to sell it all.

Now that they have this massive pile of wealth, and are hanging out at a mere level 4, they try to find something to do with it. Not wanting to be boring and just buy some nice magic equipment, they decided the best thing is to buy a boat. So they purchase a boat, a crew, and set sail for piracy adventure.

When resupplying in town, they hear from a dockworker that some people in town have managed to find an ancient treasure map, so naturally the players decide that it is now their treasure map,and need to get it back. Using a few great diplomacy rolls, they track down the owners of the map to a local tavern. They devise a great plan where the archer will wait outside (since weapons aren't allowed inside), ready to fire arrows through the windows if things go poorly. The plate mailed Ronin and the ninja find a table as close to the map-holders as possible, and listen in to the conversations.

Once they've figured out who is holding it, it is time for their well designed plan. The ronin has to distract them all, while the ninja goes invisible and picks their pockets.

What's a good way to distract people in a bar? Well, of course it's to throw a table at them! He rolls a strength check to see how hard he hits them with the table and... crit fail. All he managed to do is bump the table and knock over his own drink. Ok, try again, the ninja can only stay invisible for so long.

Rolls a 2. Tips the table over. A couple people notice, but not the big distraction they need. He gives up with the table idea, and just walks up and breaks the jaw of one of the men with his armoured fist. Queue a handful of now angry men returning blows, mostly harmless (never punch a dude in plate mail). The archer sees the commotion, thinks that the party is in trouble and looses a few arrows into the chests of the attackers, killing a couple.

Panic breaks out now, as corpses are hitting the ground. Most of the tavern customers are fleeing out the front door. The ninja gives a whistle to the ronin, letting him know that he has the map. So the ronin decides that pushing through the crowd to the door will take too long to leave. He grabs an assailant by the scruff of the neck and by the belt, and heaves him at the window, attempting to break it for a quick escape route (this isn't the first time he's thrown someone at something to complete his goal). Another extremely low roll causes the man to hit the wall head-first just below the window.

Frustrated, the ronin just decides to break through it himself, like an action hero. Using the maybe dead man below it as a good step to launch, he leaps with all his might.

If anyone knows pathfinder, they'll understand that trying to do anything agile in full plate mail ends poorly. Half of him is now outside the tavern, the other half still in. His arms can't reach any good holds to pull himself free, and someone inside is pulling on him. He then calmly whistles for his well trained horse, who comes galloping to his rescue. Grabbing the saddle, he get's the horse to charge away, yanking him free from the windowsill, and dragging him through town.

Not wanting to risk being arrested by the now approaching town guard, and not wanting to waste time mounting it properly, he simply has his horse drag him out of town.

I don't think we stopped laughing at the just terrible results for a good half hour after we finished playing.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

Yeah, I haven't gotten off many of these in my life, so of course I have to waste one of them on a bad elfgame. :eng99:

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Falstaff posted:

I informed the DM that I wouldn't be returning to the game. When he asked me why not, I told him, "The player joineth a game, the player can walketh away."

I was going to ask how you physically accomplished not one, but a series of conversations with someone born with their head crammed that far up their own rear end, but then I remembered some of my own 2E experiences. Teenage nerds. Teenage nerds never change.

For what it's worth, you had every right to be pissed off over that chain of events. It's not like you didn't air your own concerns at every turn before he panicked and poo poo all over you.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Falstaff posted:

Douchebag DM

It seems like the sensible thing to do, to rebalance the issue, is to have this deity give the character an ultimatum - his mother will be pardoned if he permanently renounces his supernatural abilities. He's supposed to be a quasi-paladin, so it's something that he would do. Angel Mom gets free and would no doubt love him even more, and his character isn't overpowered anymore.

Makes sense to me - sorry that he (the DM) didn't see that.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

JustJeff88 posted:

It seems like the sensible thing to do, to rebalance the issue, is to have this deity give the character an ultimatum - his mother will be pardoned if he permanently renounces his supernatural abilities. He's supposed to be a quasi-paladin, so it's something that he would do. Angel Mom gets free and would no doubt love him even more, and his character isn't overpowered anymore.

Makes sense to me - sorry that he (the DM) didn't see that.
Yeah, in general, making the relinquishing of the overpowered whatever be a willing choice for something more valuable to the character (but less useful in combat) is almost always a pretty good option.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I can't say for sure I would have gone for that, but it's possible. It definitely would have been head and shoulders better than what he'd come up with. Even better would have been accomplishing something by giving up my powers - one of my original suggestions was to use up all my angelic energy to cure a plague or something, but he assured me it wasn't necessary.

I just recall being pretty darn mad about the whole thing. We were still friends after that, mind you, and he continued playing his paladin in my own campaign. I just stopped playing in his game, which was fine since IIRC it died only a few sessions after I left.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I don't know if Trading Card Games count, but I have a story. A few years ago, all of my friends were getting way into Magic: The Gathering. Well, they had jobs and I didn't, so I couldn't afford those decks that they were buying. So to gauge my interest in the game, they set me up with a nice "beginner deck" and told me all the rules.

Five turns later, the guy across from me says "I have infinite attack. I hit you and you lose."

I never played Magic again.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

HellCopter posted:

Five turns later, the guy across from me says "I have infinite attack. I hit you and you lose."

I never played Magic again.
I'll never understand the thought processes of the kinds of people who stomp someone they're teaching a game to.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Poison Mushroom posted:

I'll never understand the thought processes of the kinds of people who stomp someone they're teaching a game to.

My favorite game is Mao.

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

Poison Mushroom posted:

That's really easy to understand actually. "I suck at this game and must make my self feel better by completely smashing this guy who has no idea what he's doing.'

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

And considering how loving ridiculous magic decks can get - there's a story of one guy drawing a card that let him automatically declare someone had lost the game, and using it on someone playing at the table next to him and it was ruled valid - you probably spared yourself the headache.

But yeah, that mindset is absurd, it's no challenge to beat a newbie at a game and only makes you look like a dick.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Robindaybird posted:

And considering how loving ridiculous magic decks can get - there's a story of one guy drawing a card that let him automatically declare someone had lost the game, and using it on someone playing at the table next to him and it was ruled valid - you probably spared yourself the headache.

But yeah, that mindset is absurd, it's no challenge to beat a newbie at a game and only makes you look like a dick.

What card is this?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Learning to break nerds instawin $2000+ legacy only legal combo decks with cheap/common stuff is fun. Except when you get sprayed with cheetos as they sputter with rage when they realize there is not a drat thing they can do about it.

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

Usually the answer is vast amounts of land destruction and counter spells.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Mezzanon posted:

What card is this?

As far as I can tell, there's nothing that does exactly that. There's a couple cards that are close though:

Door to Nothingness
Door to Nothingness enters the battlefield tapped.
W W Bl Bl Bk Bk R R G G, Tap, Sacrifice Door to Nothingness: Target player loses the game.

Amulet of Quoz
Remove Amulet of Quoz from your deck before playing if you're not playing for ante.
Tap, Sacrifice Amulet of Quoz: Target opponent may ante the top card of his or her library. If he or she doesn't, you flip a coin. If you win the flip, that player loses the game. If you lose the flip, you lose the game. Activate this ability only during your upkeep.

Edit: Both cards are likely to have at least one turn of response, unless you have something like Time Walk. Amulet of Quoz can only be activated on your upkeep which happens at the beginning of your turn, and while Door to Nothingness could technically be activated on the same turn that's a hell of a lot to ask for (you need 15 mana (10 of which have to be 2 of each color, colorless doesn't count) and some way to untap it).

Most everything else is you winning the game, rather than declaring a player losing, or uses the poison system or requires you to deal damage to the player with the card, both of which I believe you can't do to anyone outside of your direct opponent.

As an aside, MtG comprehensive rules are something else. Take a look at the 200+ page Comprehensive Rules .pdf on WotC's MtG Rules page if you need some examples.

Source: Searching card text for lose+game on Gatherer and double checking with the Alternate Win Cards page from a Curse wiki.

Onean fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Sep 30, 2014

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

The vast majority of super fast win conditions in magic (ie within the first 2 turns) are only legal in formats that allow you to use cards from the earliest sets which are the least balanced or aren't legal in any format anymore at all.

A lot of people I know like this use "proxy" cards because the original cards required to pull off their trick are hundreds, and sometimes thousands of dollars. Frankly it's better just better to refuse to play against these people when they run those decks. Unless you are playing in a tournament, where their proxies and deck lists are almost certainly illegal anyway, there is no reason to run those kinds of decks.

Ambi
Dec 30, 2011

Leave it to me
From what I know, it's usually considered courtesy to show your deck to your opponent, give them access to a deck list, or at least tell them your overall strategy in most play? Since usually people have sideboards, a handful of cards to swap in and out of their deck to react to certain types of decks/situations.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I think the story that was told last time this came up was the card had the rules text "Target player loses their next turn." The player argued that instead of skipping their next turn, the card could be interpreted that they lost the game ON their next turn.

e: The card text has since been errata'd, of course.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Sep 30, 2014

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Ambi posted:

From what I know, it's usually considered courtesy to show your deck to your opponent, give them access to a deck list, or at least tell them your overall strategy in most play? Since usually people have sideboards, a handful of cards to swap in and out of their deck to react to certain types of decks/situations.

Eh... honestly for casual, non tournament play at your local card store this really shouldn't be necessary. But then I assume we are dealing with reasonable people out for a good time, not raging sperglords. Unfortunately, Magic attracts the second kind.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

darth cookie posted:

But then I assume we are dealing with reasonable people out for a good time, not raging sperglords. Unfortunately, Magic attracts the second kind.

Dareon posted:

The player argued that instead of skipping their next turn, the card could be interpreted that they lost the game ON their next turn.

These two posts are like the chocolate and peanut butter in a reese's cup. Great on their own, even better together. :v:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

darth cookie posted:

Learning to break nerds instawin $2000+ legacy only legal combo decks with cheap/common stuff is fun. Except when you get sprayed with cheetos as they sputter with rage when they realize there is not a drat thing they can do about it.

Sounds like those 'free to play' MMO's that are only fun if you have the skill and patience to break money spending pubbies (while not spending money yourself).

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

Poison Mushroom posted:

It's the mentality of "grow or die". Some people, like one of my coworkers, are the kinds of people that see a game like Dwarf Fortress which says, "This game is so complex and involved, you'll feel like an idiot for the first forty games" and respond with "We'll see about that". Some people are like me and see a game that says that and respond with "I have better things to do with my time".

Different teaching methods, really. For some folks it's a great spur. For others it's just a middle finger. The trick is figuring out when to use what method.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Onean posted:

As far as I can tell, there's nothing that does exactly that. There's a couple cards that are close though:

Door to Nothingness
Door to Nothingness enters the battlefield tapped.
W W Bl Bl Bk Bk R R G G, Tap, Sacrifice Door to Nothingness: Target player loses the game.

Amulet of Quoz
Remove Amulet of Quoz from your deck before playing if you're not playing for ante.
Tap, Sacrifice Amulet of Quoz: Target opponent may ante the top card of his or her library. If he or she doesn't, you flip a coin. If you win the flip, that player loses the game. If you lose the flip, you lose the game. Activate this ability only during your upkeep.

Edit: Both cards are likely to have at least one turn of response, unless you have something like Time Walk. Amulet of Quoz can only be activated on your upkeep which happens at the beginning of your turn, and while Door to Nothingness could technically be activated on the same turn that's a hell of a lot to ask for (you need 15 mana (10 of which have to be 2 of each color, colorless doesn't count) and some way to untap it).

Most everything else is you winning the game, rather than declaring a player losing, or uses the poison system or requires you to deal damage to the player with the card, both of which I believe you can't do to anyone outside of your direct opponent.

As an aside, MtG comprehensive rules are something else. Take a look at the 200+ page Comprehensive Rules .pdf on WotC's MtG Rules page if you need some examples.

Source: Searching card text for lose+game on Gatherer and double checking with the Alternate Win Cards page from a Curse wiki.

Ashnod's Altar + Heartstone + Sliver Queen = literally infinite creatures.

One of my friends in high school had this deck and it became a fun game to see if we could beat him before his combo came online.

Usually with lots of these

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Dareon posted:

I think the story that was told last time this came up was the card had the rules text "Target player loses their next turn." The player argued that instead of skipping their next turn, the card could be interpreted that they lost the game ON their next turn.

e: The card text has since been errata'd, of course.

I remember a variation on that being in the Pocket Guide to Magic they printed in the early Nineties. Dude told the devs, 'I have a one-turn win!' they asked for elaboration, and he trotted that card out.

And thus, they learned the value of clarity, and that Nature will always make a bigger sperglord.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Ambi posted:

Not at all. In some tournaments you have to submit a deck list to the organizer/judges, but as a player what is in my deck and my strategy (in general or specific) are both for me to know and you to find out through play. Sideboards are for games 2 and 3 in a match, and generally aren't used in casual play unless you're testing certain deck matchups for a tournament.

darth cookie posted:

This is very true. I had a guy go apoplectic on me because I repeatedly (like 4-5 times in a row) beat his vintage stasis deck with my ~$100 standard deck, then called my deck "overpowered bullshit" which is especially :ironicat: since I was built around Cephalid Constable. I guess turnabout isn't fair play?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Isn't there a card where you throw it on the table and it kills any cards it lands on? The classic story is someone tore it into confetti and sprinkled it all over his opponent's cards.

Could you use that on a different table?