Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

noirstronaut posted:

It's a common complaint about the app. I'm not sure where it's pulling its info, but it seems like a major drawback when the one thing the app is supposed to do is done wrong.
When the info is this wrong, it's usually coming from openweathermap. I don't buy weather apps that don't tell me where they're getting their info from because it's almost always them.

I bought an app called Widgets Pro because I wanted an rss widget. It has a pretty nice-looking weather widget too which I tested for a bit. It was off by 10 degrees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinfolk Jones
Oct 31, 2010

Faaaaaaaaast
I don't see an iOS8 thread anywhere, so apologies if this is in the wrong place.

When using the HealthKit app, is there any kind of way to view the previous days data? For example, I want to look at how many steps total I took yesterday. Clicking on the graph just gives me a massive list of every time the phone added data (5-8 steps each time). Is there any way to do this?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

If you just need pedometer data, you can use an app like Pedometer++ that doesn't even use HealthKit. It just reads the pre-iOS 8 motion data and displays it.

Otherwise, some people are coming out with alternative HealthKit front-ends that should do the job. FitPort is the first, I think, although it's not free:
http://appshopper.com/healthcare-fitness/fitport-daily-activity-health-fitness-tracker-app

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

so now that 8.0.2 is out and MyFitnessPal supports healthkit....how do I use it? I enabled the healthkit stuff in mfp and ran the sync and...nothing? Does only future data sync with healthkit?

Victorian Gentleman
Nov 24, 2007
You sir clearly have no etiquette
I'm coming from Androids and this being my first iPhone I'm having a bit of a hard time adjusting.

So far I downloaded Goog+ to autosync my photos and swiftkey,
Are there any apps in general you guys recommend to android users switching over?

edit: is there some way to get default apps to set, like google maps as your default for example.

Victorian Gentleman fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Sep 26, 2014

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Victorian Gentleman posted:

edit: is there some way to get default apps to set, like google maps as your default for example.

As far as I'm aware, you have to jailbreak to gain that functionality.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

so now that 8.0.2 is out and MyFitnessPal supports healthkit....how do I use it? I enabled the healthkit stuff in mfp and ran the sync and...nothing? Does only future data sync with healthkit?

Unless MFP released an update for the iPhone today, it does not support HealthKit. Apple pulled all the HealthKit integrated apps hours before iOS was released, leaving app makers like Jawbone and MFP scramble to get a version approved without the HealthKit stuff. I'm sure they all have apps waiting for approval as I type this.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

I'm coming from Androids and this being my first iPhone I'm having a bit of a hard time adjusting.

Are there any apps in general you guys recommend to android users switching over?

Remember to periodically open the G+ app because it doesn't upload in the background like it does on Android. It will tell you that it does but it doesn't. iOS doesn't let stuff run in the background for very long, so it'll pause the upload after a while. Same for Dropbox.

As for your second question, no. You can't change the default apps.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

flosofl posted:

Unless MFP released an update for the iPhone today

They did! http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/09/myfitnesspal-update-brings-ios-8-healthkit-support-to-help-you-track-exercise-and-more

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

You can't change defaults. I haven't had any real issues with that so far; Safari really is a good mobile browser, and I never used any of the Chrome-specific features when I was using it on Android. If I didn't have a car with a surprisingly decent built in GPS, I would probably be pretty pissed off about not being able to use Google Maps by default, but I'm sure that when Google updates Maps for iOS 8 they'll add an intent to Apple Maps that allows you to get directions for that instead.

From what I've seen from messing around with Apple Maps, though, it isn't terrible. I really love flyover view; I'm not sure as to why Salem MA was a target for them map out but I spent an hour swiping around the town, impressed at how decent the algorithm is at building 3D data out of 2D maps.

Victorian Gentleman
Nov 24, 2007

lelandjs posted:

From what I've seen from messing around with Apple Maps, though, it isn't terrible. I really love flyover view; I'm not sure as to why Salem MA was a target for them map out but I spent an hour swiping around the town, impressed at how decent the algorithm is at building 3D data out of 2D maps.

It's the feature that google maps has now from buying out waze that really turns it into an incredible gps app, don't get me wrong Apple Maps is great in itself but it has a long way to go.

Thanks for the info though guys, I checked out most of the apps in the op and they seem pretty outdated.
Any IOS8 must haves for now?

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Thanks for the info though guys, I checked out most of the apps in the op and they seem pretty outdated.
Any IOS8 must haves for now?

I like Launcher a lot.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

It's the feature that google maps has now from buying out waze that really turns it into an incredible gps app

Sorry im being thick but what feature are you referring to?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Huzzah! Quick, boy wonder! To the Bat-Updater!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

The "sync" I believe is only to make sure the phone is synced with the MFP website.

I got the update and set it up. I'm not sure what kind of polling interval exists with Health Kit so I'm going to wait and see for now.

Victorian Gentleman
Nov 24, 2007

Pissflaps posted:

Sorry im being thick but what feature are you referring to?

Off the top of my head I remember after waze was acquired they added rerouting based on reported incidents and traffic. All of this happens in real time.
Its really saved me loads of time being stuck in traffic in LA on a daily basis and I noticed that Apple's maps doesn't reroute for poo poo.

This is amazing, thank you

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Goddamnit! Is 8.0.2 good to go on 5S's at this point or does it do stupid poo poo like map my home button to the volume up?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
iOS 8 is still hosed.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

noirstronaut posted:

iOS 8 is still hosed.

Well I haven't had any problems with that...

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

no issues with ios8 on a 5S here either.. been using it since whatever day it came out. didn't even know people were having issues with it.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
I had trouble this morning with neither Wifi nor cell data working on my 5s with iOS 8 (not updated to 8.0.1). A network settings reset fixed it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Oh, Goodreader updated to include handoff. It's just as sweet as I imagined, though I don't think it'll be very useful most of the time because I'd really need it when moving from the bus top to the bus to the train, you know?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I really want to use GoodReader over Documents, but drat it's just so ugly! :(

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
It got an update to be a lil less ugly.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Nice! Weather Underground got an update just now that has widget support.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Feenix posted:

Oh hell yeah! Finally a good weather widget! It looks really nice too. :)

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Nice. I can finally turn off location services for Weather. Battery - 1 Apple - 0

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

noirstronaut posted:

It got an update to be a lil less ugly.
Still pretty drat ugly though.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Feenix posted:

Just installed it. The widget isn't particularly attractive :( I think I'd still prefer to use the Yahoo Weather one over this.

AOTKPTW
Nov 27, 2011

#nalPlE
Crossposting from the iPhone thread as this seems a more appropriate place:

I'm looking to put all of my work days onto the stock calendar but am having problems getting it to recognise my shift pattern. I work 4 days on 4 days off and I can't for the life of me get the app to accept this as a recurring event. I had a look at the custom part for a recurring event and couldn't quite get it to work. This doesn't seem a particularly extravagant thing to want the calendar to accept but maybe it really is that barebones?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Create four one-day events, each repeating every eight days?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Just installed it. The widget isn't particularly attractive :( I think I'd still prefer to use the Yahoo Weather one over this.

Can you turn off the background image on the yahoo weather widget? Otherwise you're insane to use it.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
My only issue with the WU widget is that it kinda has too much. I don't really want a chart as much as something to just show day by day for the upcoming week or something.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Spotlight search still only works for me like half the time. The other half I type something in and it just sits there, blank.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

noirstronaut posted:

My only issue with the WU widget is that it kinda has too much. I don't really want a chart as much as something to just show day by day for the upcoming week or something.

I agree with this. It's neat but overkill. I'd love to see info on today and maybe tomorrow.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Forecast+ is by far the nicest looking weather widget. If you're building a generic weather widget and it doesn't mostly look like Forecast+ then you're loving up.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I actually like the yahoo weather widget, but I had to switch to the WU one because the yahoo one seems to crap out at my home location. At work no problem but a 10 minute drive away it is baffled and just displays "unable to load" :(

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

prom candy posted:

Forecast+ is by far the nicest looking weather widget. If you're building a generic weather widget and it doesn't mostly look like Forecast+ then you're loving up.

If Forecast+ wasn't wrong, I'd be using it right now. So, it either needs to switch its source of info or WU needs to have some options as far as information displayed.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

The WU widget would be nicer if the temperature graph wasn't so dumb. Over the next day, the temperature around me will change by about 3 degrees. Their graph is skewed so that it looks like a huge spike. The whole thing is just flair and not useful at all.

tankadillo fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Sep 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Why does that Breeze pedometer app require background location to be on pretty much constantly? Annoying.

I don't like seeing the solid location arrow, my battery life :negative:

• Locked thread