Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hobo By Design
Mar 17, 2009

Hobo By Intent or Robo Hobo?
Ramrod XTreme

Tiggum posted:

Scribblenauts Unlimited is mostly pretty fun (even if it doesn't quite live up to the potential of the concept) and there isn't really much in the way of challenge, it's just fun coming up with novel solutions and seeing if they work. But the prison escape... There are a bunch of things that just kill you in one hit and every time it happens you have to start from the beginning again. And the suggested solutions don't even really make use of the core game mechanics, they're just stuff like "move fast" and "get the timing right to avoid the spikes". It's like it came from a different game.

That was one of my favorite bits, but yeah it's really weird compared to the rest of the game. It's possible to attach a "broken" adjective to the lasers and grab the star without setting them off, which is really sneaky because attaching adjectives to quest-related scenery props doesn't work anywhere else.

Speaking of, there's a quest in the Ruins Of Ellipsis that is bugged. The one involving giving fantasy characters their weapons to fight a dragon. If any of them get a weapon that kills the dragon the game crashes. The bonus object shards are also kind of a pain, but thankfully only a pain for dumb completionists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Alteisen posted:

Destiny has got to have the worst loot system in any game I have ever seen, it makes Diablo 3's early days pale in comparison.

The top loot mostly boils down to grabbing something called engrams, either blue or legendary purple, sometimes you'll see a green engram but that usually just gives you a straight up item, so one would think a blue or purple engram would ID into something of those respective colors and or rarity, but it doesn't.

For reasons I cannot comprehend a blue engram can ID into either a green, a blue or a legendary or a class item(random class to boot), purple engrams can ID into all of the above, as well as an exotic item, so in other words a legendary dips into 6 possible item pools, how does that makes any loving sense given how rare these things are.

But its not all bad, I did finally get a legendary chest piece, for a completely different class that I'm currently using. :iamafag:

I thought Borderlands 2 had the worst one I've ever seen. The sheer volume of utter garbage and scarcity of usable items made me think of the whole loot aspect as more of a frustration than a goal. Diablo 3 1.0 had the same problem, but not to the same degree as BL2.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Moon Monster posted:

I thought Borderlands 2 had the worst one I've ever seen. The sheer volume of utter garbage and scarcity of usable items made me think of the whole loot aspect as more of a frustration than a goal. Diablo 3 1.0 had the same problem, but not to the same degree as BL2.

I always felt the different manufacturers thing hurt more than it helped.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Borderlands 2 suffered from a different problem, in that there wasn't really anything to be gained from leveling up, on top of the enemy stat inflation getting ridiculous on the higher difficulties. Finding the loot wasn't impossible (although it certainly was tedious); the problem is that your loot became obsolete as soon as you dinged and all the enemies scaled up to your new level. In Diablo 3, the loot just didn't exist.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Ryoshi posted:

It's a really good thing that I never said anything of the sort then, isn't it?

It just stands out as a poor design choice (particularly on those screens I mentioned before with literally only a single option) in what's otherwise an extremely polished game.

Ryoshi posted:

The menus in Destiny are atrociously bad and seem to be designed for a mouse.

Sure as gently caress reads like it. Not like mice are loving common on console. :colbert: Qualifies as "of the sort".

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

The Moon Monster posted:

Destiny is far loving worse than BL2. It's 99% crap you have no use for.

BL2's biggest problem was having the good gear with preset levels. It would've been far better if legendaries had more of a range they could appear at and were a bit more common along with purples. When your best way to get decent weapons was the stupid codes given out by the devs, the game has a major issue.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
The dufferent weapon manufacturers also only were basically short hands for "THESE FEATURES" and much else.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Borderlands 2 is one of my favorite games ever, and the sheer amount of trash guns over good ones is why I just loving cheat to get better ones. It's a really glaring flaw on an otherwise great game. Getting anything above white or green drops feels impossible.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Sure as gently caress reads like it. Not like mice are loving common on console. :colbert: Qualifies as "of the sort".

K dude, keep equating an input device to an actual platform and a GUI to a full game if it makes you feel good I guess. The menus absolutely feel like they would be far more manageable with a mouse and I genuinely don't see how you can argue otherwise. There is a reason console games don't generally have cursor-based menus: they suck without a mouse or touch input device.

I've been playing MGS2 more or less completely blind and it seems like there are a lot of "gotcha" deaths that it's almost impossible to anticipate the first time around. For example, I was on one of the bridges connecting the struts in Big Shell where there's a straight path from door 1 to door 2 with a couple of guards on it, then a path below and to the right accessible via staircase. I snuck about a quarter of the way up the bridge, hung over the side to dodge the guards, and started shimmying along. I let my grip meter run out since there was a platform right below me anyway, but when I dropped onto it the loving floor fell out and dumped me unceremoniously into the ocean. How is anyone supposed to see something like that coming?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Ryoshi posted:

K dude, keep equating an input device to an actual platform and a GUI to a full game if it makes you feel good I guess. The menus absolutely feel like they would be far more manageable with a mouse and I genuinely don't see how you can argue otherwise. There is a reason console games don't generally have cursor-based menus: they suck without a mouse or touch input device.

I've been playing MGS2 more or less completely blind and it seems like there are a lot of "gotcha" deaths that it's almost impossible to anticipate the first time around. For example, I was on one of the bridges connecting the struts in Big Shell where there's a straight path from door 1 to door 2 with a couple of guards on it, then a path below and to the right accessible via staircase. I snuck about a quarter of the way up the bridge, hung over the side to dodge the guards, and started shimmying along. I let my grip meter run out since there was a platform right below me anyway, but when I dropped onto it the loving floor fell out and dumped me unceremoniously into the ocean. How is anyone supposed to see something like that coming?

Dropping floor panels look different than other walkways.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
For once I'd just like to see a loot-based game that gives you ways to extend the 'lifespan' of your gear. If you get a really good weapon early in Borderlands 2 (which I did, with my assassin getting a purple-rank rapid-fire sniper rifle with incendiary bullets), then you're probably going to feel weaker and weaker as you level up and that gear doesn't hold up, and you don't get a good replacement.

It doesn't have to be that it's always just as useful, either, I could see great value in having a way to expend some resources to make your old weapon a little bit better as a band-aid solution while you look for a good replacement.

EDIT: My avatar, of course, reminded me that City of Heroes had enhancements to powers that depreciated over time, eventually becoming completely useless as you outlevelled them. But at lest that was pretty obvious, enhancements were common enough that you could grab replacements, and later high-end enhancements scaled with your level. The same can't be said about guns that don't suck in Borderlands.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 02:03 on Sep 23, 2014

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Cleretic posted:

For once I'd just like to see a loot-based game that gives you ways to extend the 'lifespan' of your gear. If you get a really good weapon early in Borderlands 2 (which I did, with my assassin getting a purple-rank rapid-fire sniper rifle with incendiary bullets), then you're probably going to feel weaker and weaker as you level up and that gear doesn't hold up, and you don't get a good replacement.

It doesn't have to be that it's always just as useful, either, I could see great value in having a way to expend some resources to make your old weapon a little bit better as a band-aid solution while you look for a good replacement.

As these things usually go (for ARPGs), a mod solved this problem really well. Median XL is a super-cool mod for Diablo 2 and all the loot from levels 1 to 120 were issued in ranks. So like, halfway through the first playthrough you'd be using rank one gear, then rank two gear would start dropping, and so on up to rank six. But aside from the ranks, the gear was all the same, and all the special unique items were the same (just with bigger numbers), and there was a moderately expensive way to rank up your gear rather than hope you find a higher-ranked version of the item you already have.

Once you hit level 120, super-special "sacred" rank items started dropping that was separate from the numbered ranks, and you couldn't upgrade to that because they were entirely different, but you only needed those for the ultra-hard dungeons.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Who What Now posted:

Dropping floor panels look different than other walkways.

Ah, good to know. I probably missed it since I was dropping from the ledge and paying attention to the guards. Thanks.

Cleretic posted:

EDIT: My avatar, of course, reminded me that City of Heroes had enhancements to powers that depreciated over time, eventually becoming completely useless as you outlevelled them. But at lest that was pretty obvious, enhancements were common enough that you could grab replacements, and later high-end enhancements scaled with your level. The same can't be said about guns that don't suck in Borderlands.

I think one of the best ways to deal with this is to have gear level up with you as you use it, like an affinity sort of thing - but then you run into the problem where you'll never find another piece of gear as good as that rare drop you found at level 5 that you've been using the whole game.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Ryoshi posted:

Ah, good to know. I probably missed it since I was dropping from the ledge and paying attention to the guards. Thanks.

I think one of the best ways to deal with this is to have gear level up with you as you use it, like an affinity sort of thing - but then you run into the problem where you'll never find another piece of gear as good as that rare drop you found at level 5 that you've been using the whole game.

And weirdly enough Destiny, which was the original complaint, does this, as the good items gain experience of their own that lets them unlock abilities.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Ryoshi posted:

You shouldn't feel bad about any time you get hosed up in MGS games, they are crazy in general and it's actually endearing.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Whacky MGS deaths and gameovers are perfectly fine and acceptable. The game judges you on continues and poo poo but expecting to get no alerts and no continues on your first playthrough is just silly. Don't worry about that poo poo until you're skipping cutscenes and well familiar with the game. Later on you'll be able to manipulate that craziness to your advantage, just learn, remember and avoid it later.

Fixing borderlands gun issues: Melt down undesired weaponry to gun goo, apply gun goo liberally to upgrade your favored uniques/special guns, HUZZAh guns no longer suck. Sorta like how Torchlight let you repeatedly enchant gear to make it better, but without the percentage chance for the game to eat all of those enchantments. That was some bullshit.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Mokinokaro posted:

Destiny is far loving worse than BL2. It's 99% crap you have no use for.

BL2's biggest problem was having the good gear with preset levels. It would've been far better if legendaries had more of a range they could appear at and were a bit more common along with purples. When your best way to get decent weapons was the stupid codes given out by the devs, the game has a major issue.

I don't mind Destiny's anywhere near as much. I always found decent gear leveling up and there are non-rng ways to get high end max level items.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

WickedHate posted:

Borderlands 2 is one of my favorite games ever, and the sheer amount of trash guns over good ones is why I just loving cheat to get better ones. It's a really glaring flaw on an otherwise great game. Getting anything above white or green drops feels impossible.
Yeah, when I played BL2 I got gently caress-all as loot, virtually all my weapons were quest rewards.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

im pooping! posted:

You shouldn't feel bad about any time you get hosed up in MGS games, they are crazy in general and it's actually endearing.

Yeah - last night just as I felt like I was getting burnt out on the game Raiden cartwheeled into a stairwell and faceplanted like an idiot. It was so unexpected I actually laughed out loud and I found the interest to keep playing for another hour.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Borderlands guns should just have a max level cap of their own. Whites never level up, greens get five levels, blues get ten, purples and legendaries get fifteen. That way you can find a gun that you like, keep using it, and it earns experience to scale with you until it maxed out. That way you can use a sniper rifle you found at Level 5, but also have room for changing to different ones based on higher max level. A blue level 15 would have better growth than a purple level five

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Good people deserve good things.

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.

Nostalgia4ColdWar has a new favorite as of 01:28 on Mar 31, 2017

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
I hate the sanity system in Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth. All it does is make it difficult to see where you're going or what you're aiming at, which is esepcially frustrating since just looking at some enemies (and bosses) triggers it, so the second I start aiming for a deep one my camera starts moving around. Also, the rocking motion on the boat level is giving me motionsickness (wall-running in AvP2 did the same thing).

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

U.T. Raptor posted:

Yeah, when I played BL2 I got gently caress-all as loot, virtually all my weapons were quest rewards.

My problem with that game was that I spent more time digging through loot/managing my inventory than actually playing the game. I don't know why you would give players such a relatively tiny inventory if the whole gimmick of the game is that there's tons and tons of stuff. It sure is fun to compare little numbers on things! :shepicide:

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Good lord, the character models in Wasteland 2 are hideous. I can't make a female character who doesn't resemble a jaded heroin-addict. It's not the Unity engine that's responsible, as the Pillars of Eternity Beta is also running on it and their models look fetching rather than haggard.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Let me tell you about my story about being in the military and suffering from asthma in Arma 3. Doing one of the showcase missions where you attack a camp and move up. When I finally got to the fight I dove behind a blown up tank and waited. Just sat there, waiting for my asthma attacks to finally stop so I can do stuff like "aim my gun without randomly bobbing it". By the time I finally recovered from my asthma attack all the enemies on the outer area of the camp were dead and I would have to get closer to flush out the remaining enemies. So I make a run towards the base and duck behind a shed, once again sitting there to recover from my asthma attack. By the time I finally recovered the battle was over. Oh I was given a objective that only I could do and not my AI teammates who did not share my breathing issues, setting a bomb on a hostile emplaced gun. So I did so. OK now we are ready to move out, gotta run over to my teammates moving in formation... oh, I can't sprint anymore towards them and they're quickly outrunning me. Cause I have asthma and can't keep up.

The fatigue mechanic is the worst thing about Arma 3, the all knowing AI wouldn't be such an issue if I could loving AIM at them. Its a great simulator about having asthma and being in the military. I feel like loving baggage that lags behind as my AI teammates kill everyone as I'm coughing and wheezing 50 feet behind and spending any firefight I do manage to catch up to hiding behind a rock puffing my inhaler so I can actually aim my gun instead of impotently waggling my gun and spraying gun fire everywhere. I must of missed reading about the tactical 5 minute breaks real life militaries make every time they jog 100 feet.

I really want to like this game but the loving fatigue mechanic :smith:

EDIT: gently caress, continuing on I walked up a hill which of course exhausted my guy so much he can barely even walk up the hill, almost walked right into an enemy and loving died cause I couldn't aim my loving gun and sprayed my shots all around him.

Leal has a new favorite as of 04:59 on Sep 25, 2014

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!
Oh, Chivalry: Medieval Warfare, why do you have to be so janky? In a game where i'm supposed to read the opponent's movements having smooth animations would help. It feels like the animations are lower fps than the actual rendering, or something.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

To be fair, modern body armor weighs a TON. And if soldiers have a gearbag you have to add that weight in too. Arma is a game that likes to pretend it's ultrarealistic so it makes sense that your guys have a tough time jogging a mile.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

Megafunk posted:

In a game where i'm supposed to read the opponent's movements

That's not Chivalry. Chivalry's the one where you max out your mouse sensitivity and FOV so you can swing your zweihander from high to low non-stop and generate a sphere of murder around your wildly flailing mannequin.

And you'd better not feint while doing so.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Alpha Protocol: reactive dialogue is a strong point of the game, but replaying it is a pain because of essentially not being able to skip the dialogue - it can sometimes be sped up, but sometimes not, so you essentially have to watch the entire game again and can shave maybe 30 minutes each playthrough. You can't skip in-engine cutscenes, either.

Szurumbur has a new favorite as of 10:29 on Sep 26, 2014

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
Fallout New Vegas improves on a lot of Fallout 3 but also comes with one major thing dragging the game down: the environment. Yeah, I get that it's post-apocalyptic but combining that with a 99% desert environment is just too much, everything except the Strip looks the same and I can't find any desire to explore. Fallout 3 was goddamn vibrant in comparison.

edit: The DLC is much better about that, but it doesn't help the main game.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Thoughtless posted:

Fallout New Vegas improves on a lot of Fallout 3 but also comes with one major thing dragging the game down: the environment. Yeah, I get that it's post-apocalyptic but combining that with a 99% desert environment is just too much, everything except the Strip looks the same and I can't find any desire to explore. Fallout 3 was goddamn vibrant in comparison.

Oh dear, that's a big :can: you've got there, trust me.

But I always preferred wandering around the wrecked urban DC wasteland too rather than the Mojave that basically just looks like the regular desert for the most part. They did at least kind of try and incorporate that into the storyline with the whole Mr. House nuclear defense thing I guess.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Thoughtless posted:

The environment is a bit bland, but what I can't get over are the bloody invisible walls. Yeah, console limitation, Gamebryo would make my PS3 explode and all that, but I had been scaling mountains in Might and Magic in the last century and that's something I always like to do in open world RPG, here the most I can count on is going in the wrong way and being murdered by Cazadores.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Szurumbur posted:

The environment is a bit bland, but what I can't get over are the bloody invisible walls. Yeah, console limitation, Gamebryo would make my PS3 explode and all that, but I had been scaling mountains in Might and Magic in the last century and that's something I always like to do in open world RPG, here the most I can count on is going in the wrong way and being murdered by Cazadores.

This was addressed by one of the people who worked on the game in the New Vegas thread:

rope kid posted:

Most of the invisible walls constructed in F:NV were done out of concern about sight lines into various locations. Most of these concerns turned out to be exaggerated, unfortunately. You tend to encounter them much earlier/more easily in F:NV than F3 because Goodsprings is located so close to the edge of the world and a number of steep mountains overlooking Primm.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Thoughtless posted:

On the other hand, I think having things more spread out gave the game more a proper sense of scale. Everything was ridiculously cluttered in FO3. Also Fallout 3 forced you to use subways to explore certain areas.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Sardonik posted:

On the other hand, I think having things more spread out gave the game more a proper sense of scale. Everything was ridiculously cluttered in FO3. Also Fallout 3 forced you to use subways to explore certain areas.

Maybe in the areas closer to DC, but there have been many times in Fallout 3 where I can wander for a pretty long time before encountering any actual buildings compared to New Vegas. The Mojave feels pretty small really.

The subway thing was annoying though, even if it did sort of make sense.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Trauma Team: path of honor path of honor path of honor path of honor

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Yeah I think you guys are crazy to think things are not cluttered in FO3 then New Vegas. You are right about the subways though. Those were terrible.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I don't get why more games don't let you supplement the in-game radio with your own music. Battlefield Vietnam did it, but I haven't seen it in any game since, even now that GTA has made in-game radios a staple feature of open world games.

Like, it makes sense if you're doing a period piece or the radio exists to set a tone (Fallout or The Saboteur, for example), but it seems like something that should be pretty easy to code; unless you're doing weird poo poo like how GTA's radio stations are just a single massive audio file that loops, and in that case don't do that, that's weird. On modern hardware, how much efficiency are you really getting out of not having to load an audio file every 3 minutes?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The main reason it doesn't happen is that there's slightly different and mkre expensive licensing for the mp3 codec if you want to allow custom music iirc.

Best implementation was the last ssx game. It even remixed thd songs to fit the action to some extent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
IIRC, some of the invisible walls are also there to keep high-level monsters like Deathclaws from strolling into the towns and killing everybody.