Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Chimeras don't have side doors. :colbert:

Because this one is obviously a rare sacred relic that's been carefully maintained by the regimental tech priests and reserved only for the command squad. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
The German post that Nafka and everyone is quoting is speculation. We've got to wait until Wednesday or so to get good information.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
I'm working on painting up batches of terrain and at one point I'm doing a wash of Agrax Earthshade. Unfortunately the wash seems to cause weird light patches to appear around where the wash settles, strangely making those areas lighter instead of darker. What's going on here? I've been shaking the pot before washing but this doesn't solve the problem.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

The German post that Nafka and everyone is quoting is speculation. We've got to wait until Wednesday or so to get good information.

That makes sense. It all sounds like reasonable speculation aside from the PfP stuff. Since the special edition codices come with pain tokens, it's reasonable to assume PfP isn't changing much if it changes at all.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Wow, that Solar stuff looks really great, I love the big tanks and chassis they decided on going with. Thing looks huge.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

The supplement is Haemonculus Covens. You get it in the £150 limited edition set.

Called it. *Spreads hands as a giant rainbow appears between them with golden letters spelling out KING NERD*

Hustlin Floh posted:

So what are the odds the Circus of Pain or whatever is the DE supplement codex?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

AgentF posted:

I'm working on painting up batches of terrain and at one point I'm doing a wash of Agrax Earthshade. Unfortunately the wash seems to cause weird light patches to appear around where the wash settles, strangely making those areas lighter instead of darker. What's going on here? I've been shaking the pot before washing but this doesn't solve the problem.
It happens sometimes when washes just pool too much I think. I would just try painting the spots where it whites out with a dark, similar color. It tends to happen more with black and brown in my experience.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

AgentF posted:

SRM posted:

It happens sometimes when washes just pool too much I think. I would just try painting the spots where it whites out with a dark, similar color. It tends to happen more with black and brown in my experience.

I've been having the same problem myself, so good to know I'm just not going crazy. Seems the new wash formula / certain batches of it end up going white-ish if they pool too deeply - particularly large areas seem to develop a white-ish shell that cracks.

Mildly related, would it loving kill GW to design cans that actually seal properly? I keep on having to swap out paint cans that have still plenty left because the seal flubbed out and the paint dried up in the can. Meanwhile I just found a can of halfway full Goblin green I'd gotten when I started the hobby FOUR YEARS ago and the bloody thing was good to go straight from the can, just add a couple drops of water and shake.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Drake_263 posted:

I've been having the same problem myself, so good to know I'm just not going crazy. Seems the new wash formula / certain batches of it end up going white-ish if they pool too deeply - particularly large areas seem to develop a white-ish shell that cracks.

Mildly related, would it loving kill GW to design cans that actually seal properly? I keep on having to swap out paint cans that have still plenty left because the seal flubbed out and the paint dried up in the can. Meanwhile I just found a can of halfway full Goblin green I'd gotten when I started the hobby FOUR YEARS ago and the bloody thing was good to go straight from the can, just add a couple drops of water and shake.

they're still so much better than the screw tops. But yeah, I have twenty year old pots of paint that are still fine back when p3 used to do the pots for GW.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
So many horrible flashbacks from those screwtops..

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Ditto. I'm still using my original blood red and bleached bone from back in the 90s when Citadel used those hexagonal pots. While the latest pots aren't terrible, they still have nothing on the originals.

jeroti
Feb 26, 2009

Fear not the darkness, fear that which the darkness hides.
I hope the dark eldar get something to help then deal with psykers. Some of the special orbs have neat effects, but they have poor range and are one use only. I also with they change the rules for the shadow field. A 2+ inv save is good, but I'd totally pay more points for one that worked after I fail a save. A big model would be kind of fun too, maybe a giant talos type unit. While super heavy units don't fit their fluff too much a unit similar to a transcendent c'tan could work. The c'tan is great at killing stuff, but it can't take much punishment a trait common among DE units.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Dark eldar is not getting a no-questions-asked 2+ invulnerable save at any price.

Anyway, I think the shadowfield is cool. It conveys the 'evasive but fragile' thing well.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Sep 27, 2014

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Ignite Memories posted:

Dark eldar is not getting a no-questions-asked 2+ invulnerable save at any price.

Anyway, I think the shadowfield is cool. It conveys the 'evasive but fragile' thing well.

Yeah, a 2+ without some sort of drawback is not gonna happen. I think the clone field is a good choice if you want something a bit more "reliable." Combine it with ghost plate for okay saves, and just be careful about how you use your "clones" each turn.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
I built/painted up my first Mek Gun. Got several more on the way.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."
Any goons local to the Bay Area want to play a game this upcoming weekend?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

The Sisko posted:

Maybe. Are you hosting? Do you travel? I already recall you smell like you bathe so thats cool. Friday or Saturday? Evening or late?

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

LingcodKilla posted:

Maybe. Are you hosting? Do you travel? I already recall you smell like you bathe so thats cool. Friday or Saturday? Evening or late?

Wasnt planning on hosting but I can easily travel and either of those days are fine for me and time isn't an issue. If I recall you're relatively close to Game Kastle so we could play there.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

jeroti posted:

I hope the dark eldar get something to help then deal with psykers. Some of the special orbs have neat effects, but they have poor range and are one use only. I also with they change the rules for the shadow field. A 2+ inv save is good, but I'd totally pay more points for one that worked after I fail a save. A big model would be kind of fun too, maybe a giant talos type unit. While super heavy units don't fit their fluff too much a unit similar to a transcendent c'tan could work. The c'tan is great at killing stuff, but it can't take much punishment a trait common among DE units.

A 2++ save on a toughness 3 model was expected in 5th edition. Two editions later if it's not in the book it just shows how slow GW is to give a modern rule set to Dark Eldar. With the amount of absurd horse poo poo curdling from other books, a straight 2++ save on an Archon is quite mundane.

Games Workshop still thinks that Howling Banshees are a unique unit because they all have power swords, despite how there are now a dozen units that all have power weapons (or better) and the sword itself got gimped.

Karl Rove
Feb 26, 2006

Oh man, the Elders are really lovely guys. Their astral projection seminars are literally off the fucking planet, and highly recommended.

The Sisko posted:

Wasnt planning on hosting but I can easily travel and either of those days are fine for me and time isn't an issue. If I recall you're relatively close to Game Kastle so we could play there.

I'm also close to Game Kastle; I'd be interested games in the future once I get my rear end into gear and get enough painted to be presentable.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Karl Rove posted:

I'm also close to Game Kastle; I'd be interested games in the future once I get my rear end into gear and get enough painted to be presentable.

I honestly dont mind as I myself still have a huge backlog of stuff to paint.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Karl Rove posted:

Oh.... you guys play.... unpainted? Oh no no no....

J/K I dont care as long as I can kinda tell what the models are supposed to be.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Life is too short to play with unpainted mans.

Karl Rove
Feb 26, 2006

Oh man, the Elders are really lovely guys. Their astral projection seminars are literally off the fucking planet, and highly recommended.
I also need to get more solid on the new 7th edition rules as I'm new to the game in general and my work schedule is sort of unforgiving as of late.

But yes, nothing gets me more fired up for wargames than passing two grognards fighting with turretless, black primer-ed tanks and bare plastic dudes :v: At least my army is all assembled and basecoated at the moment.

Mmtheblue
Jul 25, 2007

...Out of this period a particularly cunning and strong Ork will emerge as the leader and the other Orks will gather round him...

The Sisko posted:

I'm still assembling/painting, but I'm interested. Just post when and where.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Post 9-11 User posted:

A 2++ save on a toughness 3 model was expected in 5th edition. Two editions later if it's not in the book it just shows how slow GW is to give a modern rule set to Dark Eldar. With the amount of absurd horse poo poo curdling from other books, a straight 2++ save on an Archon is quite mundane.

Games Workshop still thinks that Howling Banshees are a unique unit because they all have power swords, despite how there are now a dozen units that all have power weapons (or better) and the sword itself got gimped.

How is a 2++ mundane? Who even gets that? Of all the armies in the game, dark eldar are supposed to be one of the most fragile. Why would they alone get the best save conceivable? Sounds like y'all are just spoiled.

Come take another look at the ork book, whose [already sparse] 5+ invulnerable saves have been replaced with a 6+ feel no pain.

edit: Oh god I basically just told somebody to check their privilege

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Sep 28, 2014

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Ignite Memories posted:

How is a 2++ mundane? Who even gets that? Of all the armies in the game, dark eldar are supposed to be fragile. Why would they alone get the best save conceivable? Sounds like y'all are just spoiled

The reason the 2++ on the Shadowfield is allowed is because of the limitation- since it goes away as soon as you take a wound, it's not nearly as good as something like the 2+/3++/FNP Marine characters (that also have more wounds and better toughness than DE and often can't be ID'd anyways.) While the 2++ can be very hard at times to break, many other times you will fail your first save against a Multilaser or Serpent Shield and vanish in a puff of smoke. It fits the Dark Eldar themes, which can be summarized as something like "very tough until they aren't."

Now, if it were just a flat 2++ that would be a lot less palatable, but I think that with the limitations it's fine. Note that DE have a number of other similar effects that provide surprisingly-strong protection with an inbuilt limitation, like the Clone Field, Flickerfields, Night Shields, etc.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Right, no, sorry if it sounded like I was complaining about the current rules, I think the shadow field is a really cool rule actually. Asking for a consistent 2++ like you're entitled to it just seems a little absurd, like a tyranid player complaining that he doesn't have enough transport options.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Sep 28, 2014

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Ignite Memories posted:

Right, no, sorry if it sounded like I was complaining about the current rules, I think the shadow field is a really cool rule actually. Asking for a consistent 2++ like you're entitled to it just seems a little absurd, like a tyranid player complaining that he doesn't have enough transport options.

I want my mycetic spores back dammit. :mad:

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Actually that is a legitimate complaint, I take back what I said. Drop spores were awesome.

edit: twig, you're a GS cult though! You should buy some limousines!

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Ignite Memories posted:

How is a 2++ mundane? Who even gets that? Of all the armies in the game, dark eldar are supposed to be one of the most fragile. Why would they alone get the best save conceivable? Sounds like y'all are just spoiled.

On a maximum of one T3, 3W model? Mundane may be the wrong word, ordinary fits when King poo poo Of Punch Mountain could easily survive the guy's attacks and practically half of the weapons in the game will cause Instant Death on an Archon.

It's a fragile army, but the dickhead Archon saves the best protection for himself, mesh armor or bikinis for everyone else.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

No but literally, who even gets a 2++ anywhere?

edit: seriously, I've been searching as best I can and I think the DE shadowfield already is the best save in the entire game. I can pay 225 points and a lord of war slot for the privilege of one game turn with that kind of protection, and ghazzy can't even use it reactively anymore.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Sep 28, 2014

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Railguns on Hammerheads are crazy, who gets those?!

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I don't hear a lot of tau players complaining that railguns aren't good enough, is all i'm saying.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Ignite Memories posted:

edit: seriously, I've been searching as best I can and I think the DE shadowfield already is the best save in the entire game. I can pay 225 points and a lord of war slot for the privilege of one game turn with that kind of protection, and ghazzy can't even use it reactively anymore.

There's a few ways I know of. Dark Eldar with Eldar allies can get that 2++ to a rerollable state, and Eldar on their own can stack Shrouded and Stealth for an effective 2++ - I don't remember the specifics offhand. Demons can take heralds of Tzeentch, roll up Forewarning on the Divination table, cast it on a unit of Screamers and put the Fateweaver + Grimoire of True Names in there for a 2++ (reroll ones), which is a pretty common tournament deal.

A lot of people focus more on Invisibility now, or stack it with the above if they really want to lose friends and win space barbies.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Ignite Memories posted:

Offhand? Severin Loth, the FW psyker special character, can use a Warp Charge to gain a 2++ save. Ghazzy obviously has his, albeit with a one-turn limitation. using Sanctuary for +1 to invulns or the Grimoire of True Names for +2 can net a number of different units a 2++ save, and some shenanigans can potentially get one using Cursed Earth as well. All in all it's a pretty rare thing, though, and for good reason.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

I think I'm in love with the new Grey Knights.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

How's left field these days?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

raverrn posted:

the bravest of us all...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

raverrn posted:

Tell us more. Doing it in the form of a sonnet is optional.

• Locked thread