Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Madmarker posted:

FF8 is awesome and I will fight anyone who says otherwise. :ssj:

The only good thing about FF8 is the intro, it's all downhill after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Sakurazuka posted:

That's not true. Laguana's pretty loving neato. In fact the game being about him raising his lovely son Squall to be less of a poo poo would have been a good game.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

The intro, the music (ESPECIALLY Laguna's battle music), the junction system, Motorcycle paratroopers attacking your school that withstood a missile blast (oh and it flies now), Triple Triad, DOOMTRAIN!!!.

The only thing that I really felt was sort of beyond-the-pale dumb was the, "Oh all of us are Secret Orphans, but we forgot because of narrative convenience," scene. Everything else just sort of clicked for me or felt like something a bunch of emotionally immature idiots with super powers would do.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Sakurazuka posted:

Goddamn look at this scrub forgetting all about motherfucking Doomtrain :black101: e; ^^^ :hf:

Anyway replaying XIII in prep for playing XIII-2 and LR, still think it's not a bad game, still see lots of nerds mad about that opinion. :shobon:

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Mister Adequate posted:

Anyway replaying XIII in prep for playing XIII-2 and LR, still think it's not a bad game, still see lots of nerds mad about that opinion. :shobon:

It's aggressively mediocre, which is sometimes worse than bad because that's the boring kind of bad.

I like it, I just hate that you spend like ten hours in an extended tutorial for no reason with two person parties in a game all about its flexible battle system of three characters.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

How Rude posted:

It's aggressively mediocre, which is sometimes worse than bad because that's the boring kind of bad.

I like it, I just hate that you spend like ten hours in an extended tutorial for no reason with two person parties in a game all about its flexible battle system of three characters.

Yeah I'm not going to argue it's a classic of the genre or pinnacle of the series or anything, I'm just having enough fun playing it that I can endure or overlook the flaws and be pretty happy. Not getting things like leveling and item upgrading unlocked for such a long time is absolute and pure bullshit, though, totally agreed.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

How Rude posted:

Yeah FFXIII is the only mainline non-mmo FF I have yet to finish because I just get bored and forget about it for months on end. I mean, its not bad, and its pretty, but I lose track of what I'm doing and go away. Which is kind of sad as the battle system is a nice departure from standard ATB and Menu and the character/monster design is incredible (Lesbian Scissoring Motorcycle Hindu Ice Goddess Sisters notwithstanding.)

Mister Adequate posted:

Yeah I'm not going to argue it's a classic of the genre or pinnacle of the series or anything, I'm just having enough fun playing it that I can endure or overlook the flaws and be pretty happy. Not getting things like leveling and item upgrading unlocked for such a long time is absolute and pure bullshit, though, totally agreed.

Its not bad, and I could see being drawn into it, that one just isn't for me.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

A Steampunk Gent posted:

'Air-iss' or 'Air-ith'?

I used to hate "Air-ith" until I think someone said something like "it's supposed to be 'earth' except a name" or something. So it's like someone loving up the pronunciation of "Earth," I guess?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Xad posted:

I used to hate "Air-ith" until I think someone said something like "it's supposed to be 'earth' except a name" or something. So it's like someone loving up the pronunciation of "Earth," I guess?
i think it's also a possible transliteration of a hebrew name maybe?

quote:

additionally, the Hebrew word עירית, ʻīrīṯ (the ṯ was pronounced th), refers to the asphodel flower. It is also a modern Hebrew girls' name, Irit. This might have been appropriate, considering Aerith's association with flowers. Because of the inexact way Hebrew treats vowels in writing, an alternate reading ʻērīṯ is also conceivable from an intuitive reading of the letters.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Madmarker posted:

It's no FFV, but it gets the job done. Besides, I liked having a girl be the awkward, anti-social creeper in the story. I mean, Squall was awkward and anti-social, but he wasn't a creeper, well except when he carried and talked to the unconscious girl on some railroad tracks.....

I probably would've liked Quistis more if she were relevant past the first two hours.

FF8 and FF9 really were bad at making half their casts pretty much irrelevant after a certain point. Later FF's did a good job keeping everyone involved for the most part, while earlier FF's benefited from set parties by kicking out characters that were no longer relevant. It's still impressive to me that FF6 was able to develop eleven playable characters as well as it did, though the latter FF's work very well focusing on small core parties. And of course FF7 just bombards the player with so much weird poo poo that almost everyone pretty much finds a way to stay involved in the story.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Mega64 posted:

And of course FF7 just bombards the player with so much weird poo poo that almost everyone pretty much finds a way to stay involved in the story.

Hi! I'm Cait Sith 2! Oh I guess this is a bad time...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

i think it's also a possible transliteration of a hebrew name maybe?

No, it's straight-up Earth. The origin of the name is that the converted the English word "Earth" into a Japanese reading.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
So literally the actual proper way to say her name is "Earth?" Or is it "E-arth"?

OR DEARTH.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Mega64 posted:

I probably would've liked Quistis more if she were relevant past the first two hours.

FF8 and FF9 really were bad at making half their casts pretty much irrelevant after a certain point. Later FF's did a good job keeping everyone involved for the most part, while earlier FF's benefited from set parties by kicking out characters that were no longer relevant. It's still impressive to me that FF6 was able to develop eleven playable characters as well as it did, though the latter FF's work very well focusing on small core parties. And of course FF7 just bombards the player with so much weird poo poo that almost everyone pretty much finds a way to stay involved in the story.

I find this problem worst in IX and XII personally, mainly because there are characters in those games I absolutely love who get sweet gently caress all screen time. Does Freya even have a line of dialog anytime after the business in Cleyra with Sir Fratley?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Mister Adequate posted:

I find this problem worst in IX and XII personally, mainly because there are characters in those games I absolutely love who get sweet gently caress all screen time. Does Freya even have a line of dialog anytime after the business in Cleyra with Sir Fratley?

She does bond a bit with Amarant over how irrelevant they are.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gologle posted:

So literally the actual proper way to say her name is "Earth?" Or is it "E-arth"?

OR DEARTH.

Pretty much like "earth", yeah

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Madmarker posted:

Yeah FFXIII is the only mainline non-mmo FF I have yet to finish because I just get bored and forget about it for months on end. I mean, its not bad, and its pretty, but I lose track of what I'm doing and go away. Which is kind of sad as the battle system is a nice departure from standard ATB and Menu and the character/monster design is incredible (Lesbian Scissoring Motorcycle Hindu Ice Goddess Sisters notwithstanding.)

I mean what else is there in FF games besides the battle system, the art design and the music?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

I mean what else is there in FF games besides the battle system, the art design and the music?

Illusions of nonlinearity, I guess?

But all that is beside the point. 13 had the most Sazh (the only good character in FF), therefore it is the best Final Fantasy.

vvvv If you cared about plot you wouldn't be playing a Final Fantasy game. Or really any JRPG. Or really any RPG at all, let's be honest.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Sep 27, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

The plot?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Madmarker posted:

The intro, the music (ESPECIALLY Laguna's battle music), the junction system, Motorcycle paratroopers attacking your school that withstood a missile blast (oh and it flies now), Triple Triad, DOOMTRAIN!!!.

The only thing that I really felt was sort of beyond-the-pale dumb was the, "Oh all of us are Secret Orphans, but we forgot because of narrative convenience," scene. Everything else just sort of clicked for me or felt like something a bunch of emotionally immature idiots with super powers would do.

Everything involving Selphie on trains is also great.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Endorph posted:

The plot?

Lol.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Mega64 posted:

I feel FFX handled it worse. Lulu becomes quickly useless in terms of storyline after what, Operation Mi'hen, unless it's to give exposition. Kimahri gets a brief moment on Mt. Gagazet. At least Wakka sticks around longer thanks to racism and being the only Yevonite to have doubt about his actions.

Trying to make the whole cast main characters can be just as risky as sidelining characters completely. They tried to do it with FFXIII but it pretty much boils down to 'The Vanille and Fang Show', 'Operation NORA is dumb', and 'Punch Snow'. Sazh loses his relevance rapidly after Brynhildr.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The only thing that makes a character relevant is whether or not you like them enough to put them in your party.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

I feel FFX handled it worse. Lulu becomes quickly useless in terms of storyline after what, Operation Mi'hen, unless it's to give exposition.

Calm Lands. Also, Lulu was always there to give exposition so not sure why you don't think she has relvency. That's her purpose in the party. She's a surrogate mother for Yuna and Tidus and basically watches over both of them, Yuna more obviously, Tidus by helping him learn more about this strange new world.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Gologle posted:

OR DEARTH.

I believe Independence Day made it perfectly clear it's pronounced "Earf".

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Madmarker posted:

Its not bad, and I could see being drawn into it, that one just isn't for me.

I probably have a brighter view of it than most people in this thread and I still got pretty bored by the two-thirds mark or so. It just goes on too long. The sequels are the perfect length IMO.

Gamwhiz1
Aug 15, 2012

Curtain Call got me interested enough to pick Crisis Core back up, I don't love the game and wish it gave you more freedom of movement/cool ways to combo, but daaaaamn that ending nails it.

...Now the question is, do I pluck Dirge of Cerberus out of my PS2 drawer and give that a chance? I've never tried it, and it obviously has something of a reputation, but is it more "narmy story, weird gameplay" or "aggressively unfun to play"? Like, I suck at shooters, but I've played and enjoyed a few (like Gungrave) and if there's at least SOMETHING redeeming there I'll try it out.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

Gamwhiz1 posted:

Curtain Call got me interested enough to pick Crisis Core back up, I don't love the game and wish it gave you more freedom of movement/cool ways to combo, but daaaaamn that ending nails it.

...Now the question is, do I pluck Dirge of Cerberus out of my PS2 drawer and give that a chance? I've never tried it, and it obviously has something of a reputation, but is it more "narmy story, weird gameplay" or "aggressively unfun to play"? Like, I suck at shooters, but I've played and enjoyed a few (like Gungrave) and if there's at least SOMETHING redeeming there I'll try it out.

it's really bad and it was a horrible slog years ago when it came out, in my opinion.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gamwhiz1 posted:

Dirge of Cerberus is just a bad game. Like, Crisis Core has problems but it has a lot of moments of legitimate quality. DoC doesn't.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

ImpAtom posted:

Pretty much like "earth", yeah

According to this, her hometown was Icicle Lodge? Does this ever come up anywhere in game?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Yeah, Icicle Lodge is where Professor Gast's house is. You can check out some of the videos/audio recordings of him and his wife talking about their new daughter.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

Yeah, Icicle Lodge is where Professor Gast's house is. You can check out some of the videos/audio recordings of him and his wife talking about their new daughter.

Spoilers the daughter is Aeris.

And then Gast's assistant goes an makes a half Jenova mutant baby name Sephiroth who kills Gast's baby after Hojo murders Dr. Gast.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Spoilers the daughter is Aeris.

And then Gast's assistant goes an makes a half Jenova mutant baby name Sephiroth who kills Gast's baby after Hojo murders Dr. Gast.

You know, people say Sephiroth goes all villainous from the Jenova cells in him, but maybe being an rear end in a top hat is a genetic trait he got from his dad.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ApplesandOranges posted:

Trying to make the whole cast main characters can be just as risky as sidelining characters completely. They tried to do it with FFXIII but it pretty much boils down to 'The Vanille and Fang Show', 'Operation NORA is dumb', and 'Punch Snow'. Sazh loses his relevance rapidly after Brynhildr.
When was the scene where he thinks about shooting himself? I know it was right after an eidolon, but I don't remember if it was Brynhildr or... Hecatoncheir, right, Vanille was his partner in that chapter?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Yeah, once they show us what actually happened is the last time I can think of that Sazh is relevant. I still have no idea why they expected to the player to think he was actually dead, by the way.

And even when he's not that important, Sazh and Vanille still got that awesome scene where they break out of jail.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

When was the scene where he thinks about shooting himself? I know it was right after an eidolon, but I don't remember if it was Brynhildr or... Hecatoncheir, right, Vanille was his partner in that chapter?

It was after Byrnhildr, naturally - he shot himself after it emerged because the Eidolon's whole thing was basically to show up when a character hit peak drama and either kill them or try to get them to sack up through punches.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

If it weren't for the whole "Welp, Sazh just got an eidolon" thing, that would have been a good scene. Hell, it was a good scene even in spite of it, because Sazh is A Good Character. His voice actor also did a fantastic job.

Where is FF 13-4: Sazh Returns (And Doesn't Get poo poo On In Exactly The Same Way As The Last Three Times For Once), Squeenix?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Schwartzcough posted:

You know, people say Sephiroth goes all villainous from the Jenova cells in him, but maybe being an rear end in a top hat is a genetic trait he got from his dad.

Half of it is nature (Being Hojo's son) the other half is nurture (Being Hojo's experimental son).

It's 100% Hojo's fault.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Madmarker posted:

Until I learned the "right" way to say it, I always said Mah-sa-Myoon.

FF8 is awesome and I will fight anyone who says otherwise. :ssj:

It's no FFV, but it gets the job done. Besides, I liked having a girl be the awkward, anti-social creeper in the story. I mean, Squall was awkward and anti-social, but he wasn't a creeper, well except when he carried and talked to the unconscious girl on some railroad tracks.....

That being said my party was always Squall, Rinoa, Zell....the chicken-wuss kicks rear end.

I say it that way :ssh:

What is the correct way?

Mister Adequate posted:

I just got into the mind frame of 'can this be justified by being an excuse for lightning and friends to do something that looked awesome' and the answer was almost always yes, so gently caress it.

Also Sazh is awesome and it's loving terrible that he wasn't around more in the sequels.

If they made Sazh Returns: Final Fantasy XIII I'd pre-order the CE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
XIII-3 really should've been about Sazh and Snow in a buddy timecop film sort of game.