Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspicious Package
Jun 18, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

The only thing you lose starting fresh are your texts.

I believe you will also lose all your app data. For instance, if there was a game you were playing, you would lose all progress in that game unless the developer has implemented the iCloud save feature. If you don't save a lot of data in your apps then this probably won't matter much to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

That wood case looks nice and doesn't try to be all wood, which never seemed like a great idea for a phone case.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If your phone hurts your hands then hold it differently or get a different one.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Vegastar posted:

It was 200 for everything 4 and up but the 5s, which was 300. There's a box you have to check that you've purchased a 6. I thought it ran through the thirtieth, but I don't really know. Bringing it to the store seemed way easier than the website, I'll say that much.

Great news, thanks. I'll stop by a store tomorrow then!

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Hey I need a car mount and know this thread usually recommends a particular one but can't remember what it was. Any ideas?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Car mount as in...? What are you looking for specifically?

Nklus
Aug 23, 2005

If you didn't already know, I have an unhealthy obsession with the Joker!

rear end Catchcum posted:

Hey I need a car mount and know this thread usually recommends a particular one but can't remember what it was. Any ideas?

I've heard nothing but amazing things for these: http://www.proclipusa.com/phone-holders/device/apple/iphone-6-without-a-case.cmsv

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Unresponsive camera on lock screen again. Sideways swiping registers movement in the same touch-screen. Reboot fixes. That's three times it's happened since yesterday.

John Kelly
Nov 19, 2004

I'm just sayin', I don't like fun
Taco Defender

rear end Catchcum posted:

I used ProClips for my iPhone 5 that worked well. I just ordered the first one from here: http://www.proclipusa.com/phone-holders/device/apple/iphone-6-with-a-case.cmsv that should arrive next week. Keep in mind that you'll need to buy a car mount if you never ordered one before which costs around ~$30.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I really wish they would have fixed the wi-fi issue in this update. Airplay to my Apple TV is spotty now too.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Feenix posted:

Unresponsive camera on lock screen again. Sideways swiping registers movement in the same touch-screen. Reboot fixes. That's three times it's happened since yesterday.

Same on my 6. I really hope we get 8.0.3 soon to fix all these bugs.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

prom candy posted:

I really wish they would have fixed the wi-fi issue in this update. Airplay to my Apple TV is spotty now too.

Airplay has been a complete shitshow for me the last week as well. I've given up even trying.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

SeANMcBAY posted:

Same on my 6. I really hope we get 8.0.3 soon to fix all these bugs.
You're gonna have to wait for 8.1 next month.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

You're gonna have to wait for 8.1 next month.

I'm ok with that. Bugs happen. I was mostly just posting about it to state I think it is a bug given the nature of the behavior. (ie not human error or a dead screen sector.) I took a video of it just for posterity.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Local man reports "bugs happen" in calmest display of disapproval in Apple's iOS 8.x update. More at 11.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Word up son.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Car mount as in...? What are you looking for specifically?

I keep trying to replace this fugly thing that you shove into your cd slot and have tried a Kenu Airframe which I hate - since it not only blocks a much needed vent but also flops around a bit with the phone in it. I also ordered a Pro Clip mount and bracket (which will be $80 and is on backorder). I have a 2013 BMW 5 series. Had good luck with Pro Clips in my older 3 series cars but they seemed to have more places to wedge the bracket in than newer cars without blocking stuff.

Mountek nGroove Universal CD Slot Mount for Cell Phones and GPS Devices
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004G1L52Q/ref=ox_ya_os_product_refresh_T1

It's big and ugly but it works very well and is in a good position for your hand to reach and doesn't block any vents/buttons like the others and is cheap to replace.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Sep 27, 2014

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Keyser S0ze posted:

I keep trying to replace this fugly thing that you shove into your cd slot and have tried a Kenu Airframe which I hate - since it not only blocks a much needed vent but also flops around a bit with the phone in it. I also ordered a Pro Clip mount and bracket (which will be $80 and is on backorder). I have a 2013 BMW 5 series. Had good luck with Pro Clips in my older 3 series cars but they seemed to have more places to wedge the bracket in than newer cars without blocking stuff.

Mountek nGroove Universal CD Slot Mount for Cell Phones and GPS Devices
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004G1L52Q/ref=ox_ya_os_product_refresh_T1

It's big and ugly but it works very well and is in a good position for your hand to reach and doesn't block any vents/buttons like the others and is cheap to replace.

I have one of these and it works perfectly. Buy buy buy.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Anyone have an opinion on the Tech21 Impact Mesh Case? My dad's probably gonna get my old iPhone 5 soon and I want him to have something that will provide some drop protection and grip and not fall out of his pocket or something when he's mountain biking.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Pro clip was what I was thinking of. Thanks!

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

fleshweasel posted:

Anyone have an opinion on the Tech21 Impact Mesh Case? My dad's probably gonna get my old iPhone 5 soon and I want him to have something that will provide some drop protection and grip and not fall out of his pocket or something when he's mountain biking.

I've got the Impact Band case and have been impressed by how well it's held up to drops and a toddler. It's not slippery at all (and doesn't get fur stuck to it), though it can take some getting used to if he's using a slim case already.

If you're near an Apple store, you can go check it out in person to see what you think of it in action (the Apple guy threw his phone onto the ground as an example of how well it handles drops).

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I've had my 6+ for four days now. The first day I bought it I loved it. The next day I bought a generic case from best buy and over the course of a couple days really started to hate it.

Today I went to the Apple store and got a leather case.

Now I'm back to living it again. With hard plastic surrounding the phone it made it feel like a rectangular hockey pick.

There is no doubt in my mind that the 6 is far superior in ergonomics. I believe for a true phone the 6 is the perfect size.

However, I travel a lot and user my phone as a backup for some aviation uses, so a large screen and killer battery life are exactly what I need.

I can use it one handed using SwiftKey pretty easily actually. Give the alternate keyboards a shot as well.

Basically, get a snug thin case, and know why you wanted the bigger one. It's not necessarily better. The 6 honestly was the Holy grail this edition.

( I still have an unopened 6 in case I change my mind on keeping my 6+.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I agree. If you have certain use cases (for instance, you use your phone as your main internet consumption device, like me) then the 6 Plus is a no brainer, but it is a fringe use case device and not one that everyone should have. I'm glad I got it, I love it, but I would never think that someone who bought a 6 instead would be wrong in doing so.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Sep 27, 2014

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Long story short folks. You have to know you want HUGE. The 6 is the perfect step up. The 6+ is great but we're making it work, instead of it being perfect

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
So, is there any point in my updating my 6+ to 8.0.2 if I'm on 8.0 right now and not experiencing any issues?

Are iOS8 apps going to require 8.0.2? I wouldn't think so, but I saw a screenshot in another thread with an app requiring 8.0.2 and now I'm confused.

So yeah, should I bother updating or just wait a while for the inevitable 8.1?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
If the 6 had OIS and the battery of the Plus, I'd have been more inclined to go with it. The Plus won out for all those reasons but yes the reg 6 is the ultimate form factor.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Damo posted:

So, is there any point in my updating my 6+ to 8.0.2 if I'm on 8.0 right now and not experiencing any issues?

Are iOS8 apps going to require 8.0.2? I wouldn't think so, but I saw a screenshot in another thread with an app requiring 8.0.2 and now I'm confused.

So yeah, should I bother updating or just wait a while for the inevitable 8.1?

Anything that uses HealthKit will need an update.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

lelandjs posted:

I agree. If you have certain use cases (for instance, you use your phone as your main internet consumption device, like me) then the 6 Plus is a no brainer, but it is a fringe use case device and not one that everyone should have. I'm glad I got it, I love it, but I would never think that someone who bought a 6 instead would be wrong in doing so.

I had a Note 3 for a while and I loved it, but like you I used it as my primary internet device. A large screen is really loving awesome for reading ebooks too and I could watch Netflix on it without feeling silly -- it was just big enough for that. I was also the edge case that actually had a use for the stylus -- I'm an artist so I used it as a digital sketchbook which I absolutely loved (and desperately miss).

In the end though I chose not to keep it because it was such a pain in the rear end to take pictures with it -- it was just not possible for me to take pictures with one hand, which is how I do it most of the time since I'm always carrying shopping bags or walking the dog or whatever. It was just too big for that, and I was really bummed. I've heard that the 6 Plus is not quite as wide as the Note 3, though. Are you able to take pictures with it using just one hand? The answer is probably "no" but hope springs eternal. I miss having a stupidly huge screen.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I'm having this camera from the lock screen bug too, in case anyone is keeping score.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

fleshweasel posted:

I remember when they first announced d3o and I was super hyped. It's definitely a great option if you want a full case, but I've been bumper only since the 4.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Feenix posted:

If the 6 had OIS and the battery of the Plus, I'd have been more inclined to go with it. The Plus won out for all those reasons but yes the reg 6 is the ultimate form factor.

Battery on the 6 with the screen on is almost the same. OIS is a wierd feature to not give the reg 6. But none of my photos or videos look "shaky" without it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

spunkshui posted:

Battery on the 6 with the screen on is almost the same. OIS is a wierd feature to not give the reg 6. But none of my photos or videos look "shaky" without it.
Yeah, one thing that pretty much nobody mentioned is the 6 is supposed to have digital image stabilization. I have trouble keeping my hands still taking photos, and it's worked great for me.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
One advantage of OIS is that you get better low light performance because the shutter can stay open for longer -- 6 is a little noisier than the 6+ in such conditions.

AOTKPTW
Nov 27, 2011

#nalPlE
I'm looking to put all of my work days onto the stock calendar but am having problems getting it to recognise my shift pattern. I work 4 days on 4 days off and I can't for the life of me get the app to accept this as a recurring event. I had a look at the custom part for a recurring event and couldn't quite get it to work. This doesn't seem a particularly extravagant thing to want the calendar to accept but maybe it really is that barebones?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

My wife got a 16gb 6 and it just doesn't have enough space.

She preordered on apple and it's an AT&T phone in the US.

Is there any kind of 14 day exchange/upgrade we could do to get her a 64gb?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

nwin posted:

My wife got a 16gb 6 and it just doesn't have enough space.

She preordered on apple and it's an AT&T phone in the US.

Is there any kind of 14 day exchange/upgrade we could do to get her a 64gb?
Yes, Apple has 14 day return policy. You can return in store. I did that, swapping for a 64GB.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Josh Lyman posted:

Yes, Apple has 14 day return policy. You can return in store. I did that, swapping for a 64GB.
cool-did you just have to pay an extra $100?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

nwin posted:

cool-did you just have to pay an extra $100?
You can't do an exchange because Apple.com purchases are considered different from store purchases, so you'll get $200 back and pay $300.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Josh Lyman posted:

You can't do an exchange because Apple.com purchases are considered different from store purchases, so you'll get $200 back and pay $300.

Gotcha...hopefully last question. Did you bring the box, headphones, charger as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

nwin posted:

Gotcha...hopefully last question. Did you bring the box, headphones, charger as well?
Lol yeah you doofus, it's not a warranty replacement. You're returning a purchase!