Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

iluvpr0n posted:

You win some, you lose some.

I like that you still held the broken record without touching the playing surface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

wa27 posted:

That 2001 gatefold looks really cool. I didn't even know there was an unused score for that movie.

I gotta admit, I'm pretty intrigued by that one, too. If I recall correctly, the classical music was originally just meant to be a placeholder, but Kubrick liked it so much he decided to keep with it instead of the original score.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I need that Shaun of the Dead score. Since my local tends to get a lot of Death Waltz and not a lot of Mondo (like only RSD stuff) I wonder how this will shake out for them.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I would imagine/hope that they'd combine their distribution networks such that anywhere that's serviced by one of the two would be serviced by the combined unit going forward.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
That would be nice, since Mondo's distribution is lousy if you're not in Austin.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

So, after not buying a new record for over twenty years, I finally caved and got one. I got the Guardians of the Galaxy Deluxe Soundtrack today!

It's really awesome. I heard that Mondo might be putting out a copy at some point, but this was a great price and I figured I should go for it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I wonder if they're going to apply their manufactured rarity and price gouging schemes to Death Waltz.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Darthemed posted:

That would be nice, since Mondo's distribution is lousy if you're not in Austin.

But I am in Austin! I just don't want to have to drive out of my general neighborhood. Which to be fair, the gallery is also nearby and they seem to sell stuff direct there based on my trip to get the Jurassic Park soundtrack, so maybe I should just start checking over there.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Invada is releasing the excellent Hannibal soundtracks... on four double LPs. :negative:

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3313534/invada-records-releasing-hannibal-osts-2xlp-vinyl-exclusive/

Doubt I can justify the cost for these :/

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I just got a copy of the new This Will Destroy You record and the runout grooves all run on to the labels. I guess I'll have to be super vigilant about lifting the arm as the music finishes :(

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

alg posted:

Invada is releasing the excellent Hannibal soundtracks... on four double LPs. :negative:

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3313534/invada-records-releasing-hannibal-osts-2xlp-vinyl-exclusive/

Doubt I can justify the cost for these :/

Ugggggggggh.

Still going to buy the poo poo out of them.

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.
Here are some recent pickups. As you can see, I've been on a modern classical kick lately. All are original pressings.

Philip Glass - "Glassworks" LP
Steve Reich - "Music for 18 Musicians" LP
Terry Riley - "In C" LP (found this for only $7!)
Arvo Pärt - "Tabula Rasa" LP
Glenn Branca - "The Ascension" LP

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
Excellent score! Try to track down a copy of The Photographer; it shouldn't cost you too much, and it's easily my favorite Glass piece.

In other news, I had no idea that the Candyman OST was finally getting released on Vinyl - Light In The Attic has copies of the LE still available if you hustle.

CrapFish
May 11, 2004

Never stop posting
My pickups over the past couple of days

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

CrapFish posted:

My pickups over the past couple of days

Did you manage to get a decent copy of "Third"? The limited 45rpm ones are renowned for being largely concave.

Wronkos
Jan 1, 2011

izationalizer posted:

Here are some recent pickups. As you can see, I've been on a modern classical kick lately. All are original pressings.

Have you heard the music Glass composed for Koyaanisqatsi? The music and the movie are both worth checking out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4WlNj1TTqA

CrapFish
May 11, 2004

Never stop posting

shmee posted:

Did you manage to get a decent copy of "Third"? The limited 45rpm ones are renowned for being largely concave.

Yeah, they're good. No warping.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Think I've got enough copies of Bitches Brew now.

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.

Ballz posted:

Think I've got enough copies of Bitches Brew now.

Nice! I have two copies, one two-eye and one 70s pressing. I've been meaning to sell the latter, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Also, this:

I went all out for this one, shattering the record for the most money I've ever spent on a record. Why? Because the b-side ("She's Here") is one of my wife's favorite punk songs of all time, and I/we have been looking for this for years. She doesn't know we have it yet; I'm gonna give it to her as a surprise gift. I should probably wait for Christmas, but I don't think I can wait that long. I might even give it to her today.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

izationalizer posted:

Nice! I have two copies, one two-eye and one 70s pressing. I've been meaning to sell the latter, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Also, this:

I went all out for this one, shattering the record for the most money I've ever spent on a record. Why? Because the b-side ("She's Here") is one of my wife's favorite punk songs of all time, and I/we have been looking for this for years. She doesn't know we have it yet; I'm gonna give it to her as a surprise gift. I should probably wait for Christmas, but I don't think I can wait that long. I might even give it to her today.

Can I see a picture of your Mac in the background?

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

BigFactory posted:

Can I see a picture of your Mac in the background?

Sure. Here's the MC2205 amp (as you can see, there's a bit of bubbling in the paint behind the faceplate, but it's not too bad):

And here's the C29 preamp:

I also have a pair of MC30 monoblocks, but they need to be "gone through" by Terry DeWick (who does amazing work). Unfortunately, I'm currently too poor to have this done. :(

Ideally, I'd also need some horn speakers for the tube amps. I had some Klipsch Heresy's, but I recently sold them due to the aforementioned poorness.

izationalizer fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Sep 27, 2014

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Cool poo poo, thanks. Makes my budget Mac setup look lame. What are you running for speakers with that setup?

And did you take the bezel off of the 2205 or did it come like that?

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Sep 27, 2014

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

izationalizer posted:

Ideally, I'd also need some horn speakers for the tube amps. I had some Klipsch Heresy's, but I recently sold them due to the aforementioned poorness.

Those MC30s are dope as hell, i'd love to have a pair. I own Heresy IIs, and I think they'd be seriously outclassed by MC30s. They're okay for small rooms but have a pretty terrible low end for Klipsch horns. I'd really shoot for the larger Klipschs like cornwalls or lascalas, but it'd get expensive. You may want to consider DIY'ing some single driver folded horns. There's a few kits out there that are pretty affordable for what you get. I'm thinking about building the Madisound BK16: https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/full-range-speaker-kits/fostex-bk-16-folded-horn-kit-pair/ . They also make a smaller BK12 kit.

Here's what I bought at the flea this morning. AR ES-1, Hafler 110/220 pre and power, Sonographe CD.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Love that AR. What did you pay for everything there?

You guys have the coolest gear.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
$80 for the pile, plus a bunch of shmancy bullshit interconnects and a Hafler 330 tuner. Everything needs a decent cleaning, though. Deoxit the poo poo out of the pots (they feel terrible), clean the rails on the cd carriage, basic stuff. AR will need a new belt and a re-soldered ground cable. Whoever disconnected it from the pre didn't realize it was attached so just unplugged the RCA and ended up breaking the ground cable off at the spade.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Still a bargain.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
I always loved the look of that Acoustic Research turntable. Also re: Heresy talk. I think they sound like garbage unless played through very low powered tube amps. I had some of the OG ones and had to sell them cause the horn tweeters were really really harsh with solid state.

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

BigFactory posted:

Cool poo poo, thanks. Makes my budget Mac setup look lame. What are you running for speakers with that setup?

And did you take the bezel off of the 2205 or did it come like that?

No such thing as a lame Mac setup, IMHO! I used to run a MAC 1900, and I loved the hell out of that thing. It absolutely destroyed the Marantz receivers I'd previously owned, too--and that's saying a lot, because vintage Marantz receivers are not slouches by any stretch of the imagination. I wanted to keep the 1900 forever--I figured I may one day use it for a bedroom setup or something--but I recently sold it, too. I'm even in the process of selling my backup amp: an MC2125. I never thought I'd sell it, but alas, here we are. I need to get a better job this year, and my wife needs to find any job ASAP; she's a primary school teacher by trade, but got laid off due to budget cuts.

For speakers, I use JBL L100Ts w/ the crossovers modded to L100T3 specs. They're some big-rear end 3-way motherfuckers. I'm sure there are better options out there, but they'll do for now. They probably color the sound a bit too much, but they have a super bouncy and fun sound, with rear end-kickin' bass. Great for "rock" (broadly defined), which is what we mainly listen to. At the time I bought them, I actually had a choice between them and some Paradigm towers (can't remember the exact model) for the same price; the Paradigms were discounted for cosmetic damage and missing grills. I had been using Paradigm speakers (v.2 Titans) at the time, and was (and still am) a huge fan of the brand, so I figured I'd prefer them. But the JBLs just seemed more lively and engaging, with more "pop." I dunno. Objectively speaking, by using "measurements" or whatever as the criteria, the Paradigms were probably more accurate, but my wife and I both subjectively preferred the JBLs.

And yeah, I took the 2205's bezel off myself with a razor blade. I just think it looks cooler without it. Still have it, though, so I could reattach it if I ever change my mind.

E: Man, I get loquacious when the topic of vintage stereo comes up, ha!

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I've outgrown my single plastic crate full of records, and I'd like to upgrade to some proper storage. I was going to get the Ikea Kallax (the new Expedit replacement), but all of the shelves in the series require wall-mounting, and I don't think my landlord would appreciate that. Anyone have good, compact storage ideas that don't require wall-mounting?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Get a 2x2 free standing kallax.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

The product page says that it needs to be wall-mounted though :ohdear:

e: I really like how the new Alt-J album has packaging that's almost exactly like their last album, reminds me of getting matching DVD box sets for a series

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Sep 28, 2014

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Key features: Choose whether you want it to hang on the wall or stand it on the floor.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

quote:

Good to know
This furniture must be secured to the wall with the enclosed wall anchoring device.
Different wall materials require different types of fasteners. Use fasteners suitable for the walls in your home (not included).
Hardware for wall mounting included.

:colbert:

It's also shown in page 15 of the assembly instructions.

I mean, I have an Ikea dresser that's supposed to be wall-mounted and does okay without it, but I worry a lot less about my clothes falling on the floor than I do my records.

(then again, those instructions also have a page for mounting the drat thing on wheels, so I guess it must not be that unstable)

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I have two of those Ikea shelves, both on the ground. Unless you're planning on climbing on top of them, you don't need a wall anchor.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
If you're worried about it collapsing under the weight of 60 records and you think 2 inch and a half screws are going to make the difference, you should probably look into digital media. Much safer.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Also you can get some metal legs for it to make it look classier, I have a couple different expedits that I put the leg kit on.

Wronkos
Jan 1, 2011

Yeah, I have a 2x4 Kallax with ~150 records in it, and it's not mounted to the wall. I've never had issues with it, so I think you'll be fine.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

JehovahsWetness posted:

Here's what I bought at the flea this morning. AR ES-1, Hafler 110/220 pre and power

JehovahsWetness posted:

$80 for the pile, plus a bunch of shmancy bullshit interconnects and a Hafler 330 tuner. Everything needs a decent cleaning, though. Deoxit the poo poo out of the pots (they feel terrible)

Hell yes, trade in that 220 for DH-500, get a set of KLH-1 speakers and you have my exact setup. My balance nob needs a good deoxit-ing. Sometimes one of my channels is really quite and I have to thump the balance nob a couple times to get it back and I can feel a little grinding when I turn it.

Chill Callahan posted:

I always loved the look of that Acoustic Research turntable. Also re: Heresy talk. I think they sound like garbage unless played through very low powered tube amps

I don't know, I have a 500 W rms amp and I think it sounds pretty awesome through that.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
I'm late to the party but here's my newest score:

Blind Joe Death by John Fahey

And here's my current setup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

HollisBrown posted:

Blind Joe Death by John Fahey

Excellent debut from my tied-for-my-favorite guitarist ever. Nice. A reissue, I assume?