Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Azerban posted:

For anyone who is concerned about switching factions; it will take you one month to accomplish what it took your first character six.

Counterpoint: six months under the veil of ignorance is less excruciating than one month with the burden of knowledge. Knowledge such as "Chriiiist I could do this so much faster if I didn't have to stop and recharge my cloak so much."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
Speaking of wasting away our precious time on this Earth shooting nerds with pretend guns: http://stats.dasanfall.com/ps2/achievements.php?id=98 :slick:

It's actually pretty good as far as these guns go. Assuming you weren't using your battle rifle with a laser and nothing on the barrel so you could hipfire it reliably in a pinch, it's a straight upgrade with control and a very fast bullet. Unfortunately that's how I was using the Eidolon but :shrug: I've got the Cerberus which is pretty much the same gun in close quarters. I'll probably use this thing for 50 kills before going off to work on the directive SMG, 5000 kills of playtime well spent!

Fierce Brosnan
Feb 16, 2010

I have seen into the future
Everyone is slightly older
Sep 27
Daily sale: Medic Composite Armor
Members sale: TSAR-42 / SAS-R / Ghost*

* New characters can get these weapons free - when the game asks about your preferred role, pick Infiltrator

Cpt. Murphey
Mar 12, 2007
Wait, titles can have text in them? Well I'll be...

Fierce Brosnan posted:

Sep 27
Daily sale: Medic Composite Armor
Members sale: TSAR-42 / SAS-R / Ghost*

* New characters can get these weapons free - when the game asks about your preferred role, pick Infiltrator

Even then they are only 250 certs and not wasting real money on.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

Sard posted:

Speaking of wasting away our precious time on this Earth shooting nerds with pretend guns: http://stats.dasanfall.com/ps2/achievements.php?id=98 :slick:

It's actually pretty good as far as these guns go. Assuming you weren't using your battle rifle with a laser and nothing on the barrel so you could hipfire it reliably in a pinch, it's a straight upgrade with control and a very fast bullet. Unfortunately that's how I was using the Eidolon but :shrug: I've got the Cerberus which is pretty much the same gun in close quarters. I'll probably use this thing for 50 kills before going off to work on the directive SMG, 5000 kills of playtime well spent!

Grats on joining the club. The eidolon just rubs me the wrong way. It seems like a great gun at first but after you get to know it, you start to think it's trash. Whatever role you want to use it for, you can think of another class can do it with a better gun. I dunno, maybe we need Nakar to sperg about it again.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Auraxium medals apparently make people really stupid.

"I love Gun A and have a lot of fun using it. So I decided to never use Gun A until I get 1000 kills with a weapon I hate."

Its fun because it really makes you change up your play style. I love the orion and will straight up murder you under 50m most of the time and i hated the SV88/flare/ursa/LSW/polaris but now after using them for so long i really enjoyed them. You become a better player when your forced to understand how different guns work because you realize theres so many different ways to approach a fight.

Hilariously enough the LSW was my favorite gun to aurax, no idea why but holy gently caress after 800 kills i was goddamn unstoppable with it.

JuancitoEfectivo
Sep 3, 2011
Headshots that dont give you a kill should count as a headshot for stat purposes in my opinion. For example, I almost always kill people with a commisioner headshot followed by a body shot (more efficient), but stats don't reflect that first headshot. It's nothing major but it would be nice I guess.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Lesson learned, trying to fly a scythe in the Oculus Rift isn't the most wonderful experience you can have :barf:

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I was about to log off so I went for broke on this scythe as he lined up a shot on one of our harassers... instead I just body-checked him directly into the LOS of the vanguard below him, who wasted him.

Get wrecked :dukedog:

http://www.gfycat.com/RealImperfectIcefish

My shadowplay was broken so I wasn't able to record silly poo poo for a while.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Zsinjeh posted:

Lesson learned, trying to fly a scythe in the Oculus Rift isn't the most wonderful experience you can have :barf:

How is it as a first person experience on the ground?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Zsinjeh posted:

Perspective and sense-of-body is so goddamned important in the Rift I can't imagine it being pleasant in a game whose object interactions are as kludged together as PS2.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Fart Car '97 posted:

I was about to log off so I went for broke on this scythe as he lined up a shot on one of our harassers... instead I just body-checked him directly into the LOS of the vanguard below him, who wasted him.

Get wrecked :dukedog:

http://www.gfycat.com/RealImperfectIcefish

My shadowplay was broken so I wasn't able to record silly poo poo for a while.

That's no scythe. :ssh:

It's been a couple weeks since I played, and I was worried I'd gotten rusty. Very first shell I fire with my Vanguard I shot an ESF out of the sky, and ended the night going 48 and 2 mostly in a Viper Lightning. It's good to be back. :unsmigghh:

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Ringo Star Get posted:

How is it as a first person experience on the ground?
Really loving cool. I want to note though that I was using a new version of the Virtual Desktop which now supports multiple monitors and merges them into one huge screen. On my left side I had PS2 and on the right was mumble and firefox. So this wasn't using an injector to achieve stereoscopic 3D but it did envelop my entire field of vision.

I didn't play that long but when I was on the ground I mainly just walked around looking at a fight. Things like having the gun on my right (I'm left-handed) now actually was something I got annoyed at instead of not noticing in games. Scale becomes more immersive but not so much that you get vertigo and "awe" since they lack depth. It doesn't really hamped your ability to fight that much, it instead feels more natural, but the pace is waaay to quick. I never sprinted but instead just walked everywhere from cover to cover. Games like ARMA 3 are perfect for VR.

Willie Tomg posted:

Perspective and sense-of-body is so goddamned important in the Rift I can't imagine it being pleasant in a game whose object interactions are as kludged together as PS2.
Yeah this pretty much. I mainly tried it as it's my go-to game besides War Thunder (which works great) but it's not really a great VR game. A lot of "oh man imagine this game + the rift"-games don't work at all. Not from mechanics but just how the gameplay works.

edit: I probably sound counter-intuitive but basically Planetside looked really cool in VR, but it doesn't and can't really play well.

VR Desktop though was the real gem, holy poo poo is it amazing now with multi-monitor support. It essentially merges screens into one huge one and you can make your desktop background completely invisible so you see through to the 360 degree starfield (or whatever you choose) that surrounds you completely and just have desktop icons and browser windows floating in space infront of you.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Arghy posted:

Its fun because it really makes you change up your play style. I love the orion and will straight up murder you under 50m most of the time and i hated the SV88/flare/ursa/LSW/polaris but now after using them for so long i really enjoyed them. You become a better player when your forced to understand how different guns work because you realize theres so many different ways to approach a fight.

Hilariously enough the LSW was my favorite gun to aurax, no idea why but holy gently caress after 800 kills i was goddamn unstoppable with it.

I used to love the LSW before they nerfed it a long time ago, I think with the same patch that changed nanoweave armor from a health bonus to small arms resistance. The FSRM was stupidly high but it had really controllable horizontal recoil, so you just aimed for the chest and held down the trigger - high FSRM coupled with low recoil and bloom would carry the rest of your burst into your target's head, and with a 75 round mag and a decent reload speed I just didn't see the point to getting an SVA-88. I used to do four-on-ones with old nanoweave, resist shield, and the LSW, no trouble.

But now, it's just kinda bad, pretty much everything I liked about it has been changed for the worse :( To be honest, I think the LSW is the only LMG other than the Gauss SAW that I really liked to use.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mo_Steel posted:

That's no scythe. :ssh:

It's been a couple weeks since I played, and I was worried I'd gotten rusty. Very first shell I fire with my Vanguard I shot an ESF out of the sky, and ended the night going 48 and 2 mostly in a Viper Lightning. It's good to be back. :unsmigghh:

There's nothing more satisfying than that one Mozzie that just has to hover and sass your Vanguard with chaingun fire because he think's he's immune to filthy ground-pounders, and oops, he's not as close in as he thinks so I have a Titan AP shot lined up :smug:.

CupBoy
Aug 7, 2002

It's a bloody cup.
Tuesday is CARV day. Praise Malorn.

Malorn posted:

I guess the carv buff will be a real surprise on Tuesday, hah. Its nothing significant, just a 5% reduction to horizontal recoil.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Still has bullet drop, poo poo gun.

EDIT: I just can't stop mocking the official forums about bullet drop. I was playing my NC character yesterday and was missing a lot of my shots cause I kept aiming too high to compensate for bullet drop. As much as they make it a big deal I would figure I'd have to aim 2 feet above the head of everyone I want to kill.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

TR-specific ammo will reintroduce old bullet-flinch. That's the true TR buff right there since all of their guns are poo poo.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Its me, I'm whats breaking the game

113 PPA killstreak. Got my Auraxium on it.
I like the one little awesome gem mixed in there :allears:

Maddot_66
Apr 4, 2007
Take the bomb to C, C Dammit!!

:dukedog:

Horizontal Tree posted:

Its me, I'm whats breaking the game

113 PPA killstreak. Got my Auraxium on it.
I like the one little awesome gem mixed in there :allears:

took me a minute, you've done the NC a great service. :golfclap:

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

Maddot_66 posted:

took me a minute, you've done the NC a great service. :golfclap:

The best part was that he dropped it trying to mine us, after PrettyPrincess killed his Vanguard with a PPA Mag. It was a truly beautiful moment.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

CheeseSpawn posted:

Grats on joining the club. The eidolon just rubs me the wrong way. It seems like a great gun at first but after you get to know it, you start to think it's trash. Whatever role you want to use it for, you can think of another class can do it with a better gun. I dunno, maybe we need Nakar to sperg about it again.
You rang?

...Actually I really don't have anything I can say about the Battle Rifles exactly. They have a lot of really nice features, but ultimately there's only two reasons I can think of to really use them:
  • You want to troll snipers as a BR HA and counter-snipe them without being entirely useless; or
  • You just legitimately enjoy the slower, more deliberate feel the BR gives over the feel of automatic guns.
There's no real justification for actually trying to use them over other weapon types. Their DPS is bad, they're not as accurate as they need to be for what their role is supposed to be, and their hipfire is better than LMGs but needs to be significantly better or they need 75% ADS or something. And they all have annoying directional recoil that just exists to gently caress up spamming shots (which if you can do properly merely gives you a weapon with lower DPS than most accuracy carbines). I happen to enjoy the style of the weapon and I like trolling people at range with Resist Shield, but the Battle Rifles are just a hard sell right now and not terribly reliable. I use them almost exclusively on HA because I hate most LMGs (on NC HA I pretty much just use the Jackhammer, Cyclone, and Warden), but even I can't really find much good reason to pull them out on Engineer or Medic unless it's like a Lancer camp or something and you're bored.

Also in a terribly :soe: moment, the Warden was for some reason given a faster reload speed in a recent patch without anything being said about it, so at present it reloads faster than the AMR-66 and Eidolon. Why? Who knows. Maybe they intended to give all the BRs a reload buff and forgot to propagate it to the others, maybe they were testing it out on the Warden and never decided what to do and somehow pushed it live. Enjoy it while it lasts I guess? :shrug:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Battle Rifles are when I don't really feel like playing the game but don't want to be a useless infil shitter.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Has this game been updated in the last year or so to run better? I loved it but it ran like poo poo.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Just The Facts posted:

Has this game been updated in the last year or so to run better? I loved it but it ran like poo poo.

several times and also made worse several times

about a month ago i logged in and had 220 fps at warpgate, that was nice

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Connery-NC has 40% population. Surely they're crushing this alert on Hossin!

:bang:

I'll stop complaining about this one day. But not today.

wei
Jul 27, 2006
I've been running the Eidolon on the Medic when possible, HA if I need a Decimator. I actually am having a lot of fun with it, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it to other players. If you don't mind clicking a lot, or really like semi-auto scouts it's worth trying.

KDR-wise I perform as well as I would with an automatic, as long as I work around the Eidolon's obvious disadvantages. At 30+ meters the advantages of a BR over most automatics feel significant to me. ADAD countersniping a bad infil or triple headshotting an engineer sitting in a turret feels great. My Medic loadout is shield dong and medkits, so if I don't play aggressively it's easy to disengage and heal myself back up quickly.

WatchTHIS
Oct 26, 2010

Violent action ensues.

Just The Facts posted:

In general it is running better than in the past and they've added more options to turn off certain annoying features like the egregious bloom and so on. If you hop in to one of the SA outfits and ask around with your specs in mind, someone is bound to have a setup that will get you a steady, workable framerate.

Popular Choices for .ini settings include those used by streaming/competitive players to maximize frames/visibility:

http://pastebin.com/4x9LRtgm

http://pastebin.com/z9iPW2YE

Just copy over the Rendering Section and tweak to taste.

e; Or Enter the Forbidden Lealmode.

WatchTHIS fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Sep 27, 2014

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Horizontal Tree posted:

The best part was that he dropped it trying to mine us, after PrettyPrincess killed his Vanguard with a PPA Mag. It was a truly beautiful moment.

:psyduck:

Cabbit posted:

You can't dictate their fun. Oh wait you said Connery not Emerald :iamafag:

Just The Facts posted:

WatchTHIS posted:

Just copy over the Rendering Section and tweak to taste.

Just set the render quality to 20%

Do it do it do it do it do it :unsmigghh:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Someone post the link to the PS2alerts.com serversmash tracker thing. Stuck at work but wanna see how it's progressing

v v v v thanks! Also lol v v v b

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Sep 27, 2014

wei
Jul 27, 2006
http://testing.ps2alerts.com/serversmash/streaming/1

the TS server died, lol

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Fans posted:

Sorry were we talking about the Lynx?

The more seriously the best Carbine in the game is the Cyclone. No question.

You're all wrong it's the Razor GD-23.

Laser accuracy combined with easy handling, respectable alpha damage and a quick reload? It's the lowest DPS carbine in the game, but that's a deception to draw your attention away from the fact that it's easily the best in its class.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

http://www.gfycat.com/SpanishFlimsyDodo

It's always so darn satisfying :allears:

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Miller vs Connery over!

Miller got crushed, it was brutal. Slow response times and a lack of Sundies does not a victory make. I managed to use a Valkyrie and make it useful which amused the Streamers though, so that's my little victory.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Well at least connery won something.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Half way through the match the TS Crashed and Miller lost their heads trying to order up new TS, snowballed into a complete clusterfuck after that.

Pand
Apr 1, 2011

Jogi Maldito

lol which miller outfits where involved ?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
http://testing.ps2alerts.com/serversmash/streaming/1

For all the Stats and outfits in there.

Spunky Junior Reporter!
Jul 27, 2011

Fun Shoe
miller is now eastern emerald west

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

According to reddit, Connery's redeployside was too strong for miller rendering their 5 air platoons useless, ergo we really, REALLY need to nerf redeployside and buff air vehicles.

A reminder from Miller vs. Mattherson
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hS1IPlNg1RY

Cabbit posted:

:lol: Why show up to an alert when we have Indar??

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Battle Rifles are when I don't really feel like playing the game but don't want to be a useless infil shitter.

As a provider of maphacks for the team I resent tha- oh right most pubbies don't look at their radar so you're correct.

• Locked thread