Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Beef Waifu posted:

In other news, Viz has announced release dates for their physical releases of Phantom Blood.

Volume 1: February 3, 2015
Volume 2: May 5, 2015
Volume 3: August, 2015

It will be available digitally starting next month.

Battle Tendency's first printed volume will be available on November 3rd, 2015 with the digital release starting in March of next year.

We have no word of when the next volume is out digitally, I imagine it will be November.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Sep 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Nooooooooooooooo

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Pomp posted:

Nooooooooooooooo

Now I have your 「power」

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Now I have your 「power」
Highlander with Stands? Yikes. Or since this is JoJo, I guess it would be more like in Heroes.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

quakster posted:

Highlander with Stands? Yikes. Or since this is JoJo, I guess it would be more like in Heroes.

Or maybe that one video game, where you jump and shoot? I can't remember the name

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, Vanquish owned.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Beef Waifu posted:

Yeah, Vanquish owned.

Thanks for making me want a JoJo game by Platinum...

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Or maybe that one video game, where you jump and shoot? I can't remember the name
They're not robots.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

quakster posted:

They're not robots.

I agree, they were certainly men of one fashion or another.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Finished Part 6, now.

To be honest, I kinda disliked Part 5. Giorno was boring as poo poo, his powers didn't make any sense before they eventually settled on just creating small creatures and being the white mage, the tie-in to Part 4 didn't go anywhere, Diavolo was somewhat uninteresting despite his crazy Stand and the multiple personality gimmick, and it felt like there were more inconsistencies and plotholes than normal... Not to mention that the plot took some weird turns, as if the author changed his mind multiple times - the virus fist dude leaves and never plays a part again, the drug business stays in the background despite being such a huge motivator (Diavolo even gets one of several karmic deaths for that one!), the time dude's sacrifice means absolutely nothing since Polnareff immediately contacts the gang afterwards, Giorno's heritage never matters at all, and Trish was a walking wasted opportunity. Of course, it's still great - JoJo craziness, the actual main character Bruno, awesome fights all around, King Crimson, utterly stupid names... And although they're so overpowered they're immediately removed from the story, the Requiem Stands are - in concept - pretty rad.

But Part 6, holy poo poo :stare:

Kira is such a great villain - not to mention the most stylish one, I have to get that tie somewhere -, but Pucci's definitely up there as well. Probably the most hateable villain so far - I loved how he kept going on about fate and "you're actually my allies! :shepface: ". And despite his bizarre hair, he's not even a fashion victim! And maybe it's just me, but the fights felt much more visceral and brutal this time around - I hope we get an animated version of the Westwood fight some day ("GAME SET" :black101:). The Feng Shui dude and the son of DIO with the Underworld power were maybe peak-nonsensical, but other parts were so incredibly stupid and thus rad (subliminal effect through rainbows, WTF) that I didn't mind. Interesting powers all around, really. Also, it had such a great ending. When Pucci came after Emporio in the prison, while ranting about how his newly created universe is going to be - just reading that in comic from actually gave me chills. Again, I hope this gets animated, including the beatdown afterwards. The plot felt much more coherent as well; I got spoiled on the fact that the JoJo dies ages ago, but I was pleased to see that no-one got straight-up punked - everyone somehow played a part in Pucci's ultimate defeat. And weirdly enough, Made in Heaven was actually pretty easy to understand. Huh.

One thing, though. What happened after Pucci got killed? The way I got it, everybody now knows their fate, due to having experienced an entire universe "in spirit" before. Pucci plans on reaching the Kenney Space Center again, but this time he won't speed up time, since he alone can change fate; but everyone still has visions of their fate, so everything's cool forever. But since Pucci screws up and enables Emporio to kill him despite how it's fated, everything will happen now as before, meaning: time will speed up again, and we have another reset...
But somehow, the old gang is back with new identities? So, uh, instead of another reset with Made in Heaven - which should replace Pucci, since he got killed -, we have another fate entirely. Did the universe just have absolutely no idea how to deal with this anymore, or what? Is it just a general "Stand user died, so crazy poo poo happens"? The closest I got to explaining this was that Pucci got punked and his Stand collapsed, destroying fate with it - meaning that something entirely new can happen; a "new" fate. Being killed by Made in Heaven/its previous forms actually brought the gang back in some form and tied them together through fate; except for poor F.F., I guess, because Pucci hadn't fused with Green Baby yet before killing her.
Really, I'm just guessing here. I'm cool with the ending being as ambiguous as it is, though (even Emporio doesn't know what the hell, he just does what everyone wants to see happen to that smug fucker Pucci). Rad as hell.

R.I.P. Jolyne, the most metal of all JoJo's. :911: Looking forward to Part 7!

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Torquemadras posted:

Finished Part 6, now.

To be honest, I kinda disliked Part 5. Giorno was boring as poo poo, his powers didn't make any sense before they eventually settled on just creating small creatures and being the white mage, the tie-in to Part 4 didn't go anywhere, Diavolo was somewhat uninteresting despite his crazy Stand and the multiple personality gimmick, and it felt like there were more inconsistencies and plotholes than normal... Not to mention that the plot took some weird turns, as if the author changed his mind multiple times - the virus fist dude leaves and never plays a part again, the drug business stays in the background despite being such a huge motivator (Diavolo even gets one of several karmic deaths for that one!), the time dude's sacrifice means absolutely nothing since Polnareff immediately contacts the gang afterwards, Giorno's heritage never matters at all, and Trish was a walking wasted opportunity. Of course, it's still great - JoJo craziness, the actual main character Bruno, awesome fights all around, King Crimson, utterly stupid names... And although they're so overpowered they're immediately removed from the story, the Requiem Stands are - in concept - pretty rad.

But Part 6, holy poo poo :stare:

Kira is such a great villain - not to mention the most stylish one, I have to get that tie somewhere -, but Pucci's definitely up there as well. Probably the most hateable villain so far - I loved how he kept going on about fate and "you're actually my allies! :shepface: ". And despite his bizarre hair, he's not even a fashion victim! And maybe it's just me, but the fights felt much more visceral and brutal this time around - I hope we get an animated version of the Westwood fight some day ("GAME SET" :black101:). The Feng Shui dude and the son of DIO with the Underworld power were maybe peak-nonsensical, but other parts were so incredibly stupid and thus rad (subliminal effect through rainbows, WTF) that I didn't mind. Interesting powers all around, really. Also, it had such a great ending. When Pucci came after Emporio in the prison, while ranting about how his newly created universe is going to be - just reading that in comic from actually gave me chills. Again, I hope this gets animated, including the beatdown afterwards. The plot felt much more coherent as well; I got spoiled on the fact that the JoJo dies ages ago, but I was pleased to see that no-one got straight-up punked - everyone somehow played a part in Pucci's ultimate defeat. And weirdly enough, Made in Heaven was actually pretty easy to understand. Huh.

One thing, though. What happened after Pucci got killed? The way I got it, everybody now knows their fate, due to having experienced an entire universe "in spirit" before. Pucci plans on reaching the Kenney Space Center again, but this time he won't speed up time, since he alone can change fate; but everyone still has visions of their fate, so everything's cool forever. But since Pucci screws up and enables Emporio to kill him despite how it's fated, everything will happen now as before, meaning: time will speed up again, and we have another reset...
But somehow, the old gang is back with new identities? So, uh, instead of another reset with Made in Heaven - which should replace Pucci, since he got killed -, we have another fate entirely. Did the universe just have absolutely no idea how to deal with this anymore, or what? Is it just a general "Stand user died, so crazy poo poo happens"? The closest I got to explaining this was that Pucci got punked and his Stand collapsed, destroying fate with it - meaning that something entirely new can happen; a "new" fate. Being killed by Made in Heaven/its previous forms actually brought the gang back in some form and tied them together through fate; except for poor F.F., I guess, because Pucci hadn't fused with Green Baby yet before killing her.
Really, I'm just guessing here. I'm cool with the ending being as ambiguous as it is, though (even Emporio doesn't know what the hell, he just does what everyone wants to see happen to that smug fucker Pucci). Rad as hell.

R.I.P. Jolyne, the most metal of all JoJo's. :911: Looking forward to Part 7!

I'm reading Part 7 and it's my favorite one so far. It kinda feels like part 1, 2, and 3 got smashed together in the wild west.

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

I loved Part 7 but the stands didn't make as much sense as they did in previous parts, at least to me.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

DoctorX posted:

I loved Part 7 but the stands didn't make as much sense as they did in previous parts, at least to me.

I remember just staring blankly for a while at dinosaur Dio.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Torquemadras posted:

the virus fist dude leaves and never plays a part again, the drug business stays in the background despite being such a huge motivator

Purple Haze Feedback comes back to both of these plot threads.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I remember just staring blankly for a while at dinosaur Dio.

God that was the craziest loving thing. Weird Stands, best Stands.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

DoctorX posted:

I loved that there were basically no punch-ghost stands. Even the stands that did have a ghost-friend attached to them were there for other reasons, like Tusk (up to act 3) and D4C.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Tusk's strongest form being a punching ghost is the best thing.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

You kids don't know how easy you have it. Back in my day we had to go on a transcontinental journey and get kicked by a horse to get a punch ghost and dammit, we liked it!

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Beef Waifu posted:

My favorite part of Steel Ball Run was that there was there was exactly one "ORAORAORA" beatdown and the ENTIRE story was building up to it.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
I really did love the whole "utility stand" aspect for the SBR cast. It really made it feel like the characters were fighting using their stands, rather than letting their stands do all the fighting for them.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Torquemadras posted:

Basically, Pucci stopped the cycle just short of a full completion so he could kill Emporio at the moment they were both in the same location and he was alone -- the prison. Now, this would have been a good idea, except for the fact that Emporio had the Weather Report disc, and Pucci didn't know that. So once Pucci was killed, the not-quite-complete universe had to account for that, and recreated itself as if Pucci never existed. Thus, we get Jolyne Irene, and Annasui Annakiss.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Neo_Crimson posted:

My favorite part of Steel Ball Run was that there was there was exactly one "ORAORAORA" beatdown and the ENTIRE story was building up to it.

Everything about that scene was amazing and the most satisfying part is when Tusk just rips the loving dimensional wall open with its own hands. No overcomplicated plan, no silly shenanigans, the stand is just strong enough now to tear open the bad guy's defenses.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

Beef Waifu posted:

Everything about that scene was amazing and the most satisfying part is when Tusk just rips the loving dimensional wall open with its own hands. No overcomplicated plan, no silly shenanigans, the stand is just strong enough now to tear open the bad guy's defenses.

And it's not like it just happened out of nowhere, Johnny earned it. The only reason Tusk Act 4 could do that is because Gyro gave Johnny a final lesson on the perfect rotation and then Johnny threw a god drat ball at his collapsed horse so it reflexively kicked him into the air and god dammit that sequence was so loving good.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Steel Ball Run is so loving good.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Basically, Pucci stopped the cycle just short of a full completion so he could kill Emporio at the moment they were both in the same location and he was alone -- the prison. Now, this would have been a good idea, except for the fact that Emporio had the Weather Report disc, and Pucci didn't know that. So once Pucci was killed, the not-quite-complete universe had to account for that, and recreated itself as if Pucci never existed. Thus, we get Jolyne Irene, and Annasui Annakiss.

Eh, I don't know. In the last chapter, Pucci says something along the lines of "If I die, the fate of mankind will be altered". I thought that simply means that fate has changed from that point on; the entire story we've read so far would resume, only without Pucci and thus differently. After all, he's the only one who can change fate; he basically only needs to exist until Cape Canaveral for everything to stay the same, so that humanity can make use of its awesome foreknowledge (that may be the actual greatest benefit of Made in Heaven: omniscience... of a single certain "fate"). I'd assume that his death would simply lead to a changed timeline, not to the complete reset of the existing universe, but - well - there we go.

So I wouldn't say there's any not-quite-complete universes around, and I don't think changed fate needs to be taken into account. After all, "fate" would deal just fine with a dead Emporio, if Pucci's to be believed (maybe he counts as "small details"). That's why I'm confused why the timeline didn't simply continue at that point, and why I guessed the entire first timeline was somehow linked to Made in Heaven and the people it killed. There has to be some sort of connection to the very first timeline.

But I notice I'm already putting normal words into "quotation marks", so I think I'll leave it at that...

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Just a few chapters into Part 7, but...

Oh poo poo. Oh poo poo. Oh poo poo. Did I just see the name Stroheim on the list of first race winners? Is this really happening?

I am so loving stoked for this you have no idea

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Beef Waifu posted:

A punching ghost that turns into a bullet that pierces magical barriers of light. It's pretty great.

Torquemadras posted:

Just a few chapters into Part 7, but...

Oh poo poo. Oh poo poo. Oh poo poo. Did I just see the name Stroheim on the list of first race winners? Is this really happening?

SBR has a number of funny throwbacks to the other characters. SBR is just fun all around. Definitely one of my favorites, if not my most favorite arc.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Torquemadras posted:

German racers are the best in the world. :smug:

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Beef Waifu posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3RecYHffnY&t=92s

CHUMIMIII~N motherfucker :getin:

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Kabanaw posted:

And it's not like it just happened out of nowhere, Johnny earned it. The only reason Tusk Act 4 could do that is because Gyro gave Johnny a final lesson on the perfect rotation and then Johnny threw a god drat ball at his collapsed horse so it reflexively kicked him into the air and god dammit that sequence was so loving good.

And before that Gyro generated a Stand for the first time by basically harnessing loving Spiral Power and punching through Valentine's dimension bullshit before getting Zeppeli'd.

I swear Araki watched Gurren Lagann before writing those chapters because they were :kamina: as gently caress.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.

Neo_Crimson posted:

I swear Araki watched Gurren Lagann before writing those chapters because they were :kamina: as gently caress.

its possible

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Neo_Crimson posted:

And before that Gyro generated a Stand for the first time by basically harnessing loving Spiral Power and punching through Valentine's dimension bullshit before getting Zeppeli'd.

"Nyoho~ the hell do you think we are?!"

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I just finished Steel Ball Run and daaaamn that was absolutely fantastic through and through. :v: I find it really funny that it was explicitly billed as not-JoJo for the first 5 or so volumes despite the story ostensibly being about Johnny's growth in the end. Is JoJolion shaping up to be as good as SBR so far?

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

ChaosArgate posted:

I just finished Steel Ball Run and daaaamn that was absolutely fantastic through and through. :v: I find it really funny that it was explicitly billed as not-JoJo for the first 5 or so volumes despite the story ostensibly being about Johnny's growth in the end. Is JoJolion shaping up to be as good as SBR so far?

It's been really interesting and Twosuke is an endearing dork. It's not even half way done, so it's a little hard to say if it's going to be AS good, but it's been a blast so far.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Angry Walrus posted:

its possible

I still can't figure out what the poo poo is happening with Wekapipo's hands, there.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

CodfishCartographer posted:

I still can't figure out what the poo poo is happening with Wekapipo's hands, there.

I thought it made sense until I actually tried the pose to make sure and ow elbows aren't supposed to bend like this, help

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

CodfishCartographer posted:

...Are his thumbs pointing outwards? :stare:

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I never really figured out how Johnny killed Papa Boom Boom with Tusk. Like one second he's being all cocky and the next he's cut in half like Guts from Berserk cleaved him in two.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
I just finished SBR too. Favorite fight was definitely Hot Pants and DInO vs Funny Valentine. Felt a lot more dynamic than the Johnny and Gyro vs Valentine fight. (Although both were equally hype) That fight alone almost made me wish SBR had been about that pair running the race together instead of Gyro and Johnny.

Not sure what the point of adding in alternate Dio was for other than fanservice. It didn't really move the plot any more forward than it would have gone without alt!Dio and you could have gotten the main points of the Steels locking away the Holy Corpse and Johnny reconciling with his father while still not winning the SBR. Just not a big fan of the fanservice/filler combo. Honestly it detracts from the feeling of finality that the end of the Valentine fight had. Dumb and annoying dragging on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Angry Walrus posted:

I just finished SBR too. Favorite fight was definitely Hot Pants and DInO vs Funny Valentine. Felt a lot more dynamic than the Johnny and Gyro vs Valentine fight. (Although both were equally hype) That fight alone almost made me wish SBR had been about that pair running the race together instead of Gyro and Johnny.

Not sure what the point of adding in alternate Dio was for other than fanservice. It didn't really move the plot any more forward than it would have gone without alt!Dio and you could have gotten the main points of the Steels locking away the Holy Corpse and Johnny reconciling with his father while still not winning the SBR. Just not a big fan of the fanservice/filler combo. Honestly it detracts from the feeling of finality that the end of the Valentine fight had. Dumb and annoying dragging on.

It's kind of a shame that you can't appreciate him, DIO, for who he, DIO, is.

• Locked thread