Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!
...but other than that, it was a good point! :v:

I did laugh because they mentioned the Rising Tide again during the premiere. One of the writers must have remembered that they existed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, Skye's supposed to be an uber-hacker AND be good at social engineering. And she's still clearly behind May in the super-agent stakes. May could believably pinch-hit for Black Widow in the Avengers. Skye could maybe get hit on by Stark while he doesn't listen to her suggestions on how to write a virus that'll stop Ultron.

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012
I thought Ward was the better special ops than May but last season's fight proves otherwise. I guess. Too bad he is locked behind some holo screen, I love Ward!

Ward's transition from SHIELD op to HYDRA serial killer is the best portrayal of crazy I've seen.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Skye also probably has super-powers. But it's not like she was out there taking out shitloads of people alone like May or Ward. She was competent and a good shot.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Hand of the King posted:

I thought Ward was the better special ops than May but last season's fight proves otherwise. I guess. Too bad he is locked behind some holo screen, I love Ward!

Ward's transition from SHIELD op to HYDRA serial killer is the best portrayal of crazy I've seen.

I think the idea is Ward is better at undercover/infiltration work, May's the fighter.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Ward displayed how good of a fighter he was in that one scene where he took out a whole poo poo ton of guys. He also basically won the fight against May but for the nail gun. I think he's been presented as suitably bad rear end.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

I think the idea is Ward is better at undercover/infiltration work, May's the fighter cavalry.

ftfy

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

You know she doesn't like being called that.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
May started out the series as a desk jockey as well, and joined the team on the condition of not doing field work, so it's not a stretch to say that Ward was the best field agent on the team. It just didn't stay that way.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Irish Joe posted:

I'm also tickled by the woman who was hired because she possessed world class Facebooking skills suddenly becoming SHIELD's best agent overnight. You know, despite the fact that her one and only solo mission last season involved her being instantly captured and mortally shot by the bad guy.

Why are you watching this show that you hate? People loved BSG but when it started turning to poo poo I dropped it immediately. It's not hard to just not watch something you don't like.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

The Sharmat posted:

Why are you watching this show that you hate? People loved BSG but when it started turning to poo poo I dropped it immediately. It's not hard to just not watch something you don't like.

Have you ever been to the Dexter thread? Hate-watching something can be pretty dang fun.

Dexter is a pretty great example of how a poo poo show can keep you watching by promising something good.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
The only way I could see that working is if the show was just hilariously bad. Agents of Shield isn't hilariously bad by any means.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

The Sharmat posted:

The only way I could see that working is if the show was just hilariously bad. Agents of Shield isn't hilariously bad by any means.

This. All of this. So many people speak with such bile regarding the first season - Yeah, it plodded a bit but I still watched and enjoyed each episode. I just enjoyed the show a great deal more when the wheels REALLY started turning and we got a cohesive plot that upped the stakes and came off the amazing action in The Winter Soldier.

I personally can't imagine living a life that involves getting home from work, changing into your casual clothes, heating up some microwave popcorn and sitting down in front of your TV to breathlessly say "Right, lets watch this loving bullshit" while sporting a grimace on your face that could rival Kratos.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

King Burgundy posted:

Also, it hasn't been overnight. Hasn't some large quantity of months passed between the seasons? Don't remember how many, tried looking it up and can't find it.

Six or nine months.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

The Sharmat posted:

You're vastly underestimating how bad this show was, and is. I mean, how do you watch the Skye/Ward interrogation scene and not groan constantly at the stupid posturing? How do you not roll your eyes every time Coulsen makes some heroic declarative statement that falls flat on its face? How do you not scoff every time the show teases a 'mystery' in the most clumsy, hamfisted way possible?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

So every show you like you've liked from minute one? There arent any shows that you watch that werent that great in the first season but found their legs? Arrow, Supernatural, Stargate SG-1, Angel spring to mind for me as shows that had weak starts that I wound up really enjoying. I love Parks and Recreation but I've never watched all of the first season because something about it rubs me the wrong way that is different from season 2 onward.

Personally I'm baffled that people enjoyed the middle section of the first half of season one of AoS enough to defend the episodes. Most of them did nothing for me, they werent offensively bad but they felt like a massive waste of the concept. You could have taken the episode with skye infiltrating the rich guys mansion and made it a script for Alias by doing not much more than changing the character names. I watched them in the background while doing other things because I was hoping they would improve and do something interesting, and they did. If the quality had remained at that level I wouldnt have kept up with it after the midseason break.

For me AoS is still tough to recommend to people; For Wards double agent-ness to have any real impact you cant just cherry pick the important episodes from the first season and tell people to watch those and skip the rest like you can with SG1. AoS did have a massive uptick in quality, but part of that is that the early episodes really arent very good on any level, and if your baseline is "kind of dull and generic" then its easy to improve.

a cock shaped fruit posted:

I personally can't imagine living a life that involves getting home from work, changing into your casual clothes, heating up some microwave popcorn and sitting down in front of your TV to breathlessly say "Right, lets watch this loving bullshit" while sporting a grimace on your face that could rival Kratos.

This is like someone saying "I personally can't imagine living a life that involves getting home from work, changing into your casual clothes, heating up some microwave popcorn and sitting down in front of your TV to breathlessly say "Right, lets watch Agents of Shield the loving best show ever" while masturbating so furiously I'm in danger of ripping it right off". You probably arent doing that, and the people who didnt like the show probably arent doing what you said either. Agents of Shield wasnt never "so bad its good", it was "So dull its dull".

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You may need to evaluate your masturbation technique.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

SiKboy posted:

This is like someone saying "I personally can't imagine living a life that involves getting home from work, changing into your casual clothes, heating up some microwave popcorn and sitting down in front of your TV to breathlessly say "Right, lets watch Agents of Shield the loving best show ever" while masturbating so furiously I'm in danger of ripping it right off". You probably arent doing that, and the people who didnt like the show probably arent doing what you said either. Agents of Shield wasnt never "so bad its good", it was "So dull its dull".

If you find a television show dull why in God's name would you watch it? Not only watch it, but watch it consistently for 20 plus episodes that last 42 minutes each. There are so many good shows on TV right now, why waste time on something you don't like? It's one thing to stick with a show you think has potential, but if you honestly watch an entire season of a show you outright hate for the perverse pleasure of telling a bunch of strangers how much you hate it, there might be something wrong with your brain.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Sperg get OCD about closure, even if they hate it.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

a cock shaped fruit posted:

This. All of this. So many people speak with such bile regarding the first season - Yeah, it plodded a bit but I still watched and enjoyed each episode. I just enjoyed the show a great deal more when the wheels REALLY started turning and we got a cohesive plot that upped the stakes and came off the amazing action in The Winter Soldier.

Background noise.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

JT Smiley posted:

If you find a television show dull why in God's name would you watch it? Not only watch it, but watch it consistently for 20 plus episodes that last 42 minutes each. There are so many good shows on TV right now, why waste time on something you don't like? It's one thing to stick with a show you think has potential, but if you honestly watch an entire season of a show you outright hate for the perverse pleasure of telling a bunch of strangers how much you hate it, there might be something wrong with your brain.

Yes. That is what I said, that all episodes of the season were dull. I certainly didnt say that it improved halfway through the first season so its only really the middle section of the first half thats bad. I also didnt point out that it improved a couple of episodes before it would have hit the "Not worth the effort" stage.

There are about 8 episodes that vary from "forgettable" to "meh" with occasional good bits. This is not me devoting my life to watching something I hate and telling a bunch of strangers how much I hate it, this is 8 hours of subpar television over the course of 8-10 weeks. My time is apperently less valuable than yours, I probably wasted more time than that over 8 weeks just forgetting I can fast forward through ad breaks.

I have other poo poo to do in my life that involves being in the same room as a TV screen, so I dont mind having something that doesnt warrant paying any particular attention to but isnt outright annoying. I can stick it on and dip in and out. I'd put early AoS on this level. It doesnt have any particular tension, and nothing is so subtle that you'll miss out on it if you werent watching closely. Any important plot points will be verbally repeated after the ad break. See also Numb3rs, CSI, the Mentalist and so on. If you miss a scene transition it doesnt matter. They went to where the plot needed them to be because of some voodoo maths bullshit/voodoo forensics bullshit/voodoo body language bullshit. In the case of AoS it was either fitzsimmons science bullshit, skye hacking bullshit or Coulson instincts bullshit, not usually worth rewinding to find out which.

Again, for the hard of reading: The Show Got Better And Isnt Boring Anymore.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Not really sure why you're so defensive about a stupid TV show SiKboy, but I wasn't even talking about you. I'm talking about Irish Joe who clearly hates this show, but still watched up to the second season.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
I liked most of Season 1 but I had the luxury of binging through the entire thing in a month. I imagine watching the first half week-by-week with multiple hiatuses can't have felt like it would be worth it at the time.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

JT Smiley posted:

I'm talking about Irish Joe

Here's where you hosed up

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
I feel like people (I know I did) stuck with it because of its potential. Now I'm just glad it looks like we could be right. I wish DC was gutsy enough to put up something of their own against it that could be a live-action show of Justice League Unlimited quality (minus rapey Flash because that was hosed up).

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Slashrat posted:

May started out the series as a desk jockey as well, and joined the team on the condition of not doing field work, so it's not a stretch to say that Ward was the best field agent on the team. It just didn't stay that way.

She was a desk jockey because she asked to be. That whole "Cavalry" subplot was about setting her agent bona fides.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Jetfire posted:

I liked most of Season 1 but I had the luxury of binging through the entire thing in a month. I imagine watching the first half week-by-week with multiple hiatuses can't have felt like it would be worth it at the time.

Yeah I binge watched it over the course of a couple of weeks and didn't think it was that bad - I guess watching it week to week with all the gaps would make the experience different.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
All I know is, if this season doesn't have a single "what's crackin'?" line in the entirety of its runtime, it will have disappointed me greatly.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I want to say that the show was pretty much garbage up until episode 12 and then it started finally picking up steam.
Then I'd say it earned its spot as a show definitely worth watching at episode 16 and has been pretty fantastic since that point.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

jscolon2.0 posted:

She was a desk jockey because she asked to be. That whole "Cavalry" subplot was about setting her agent bona fides.

Speaking of, who *is* May's mother? I figured at the time it was a throwaway gag nod to Tsai Chin's role in You Only Live Twice as Ling, the undercover MI6 operative/Bond Girl.

Vag Assault Weapon
Aug 12, 2014

The problem was the first season was that it actually started out taking itself seriously and played things way too straight/dramatic, especially the first few episodes with the single black dad raising his son (extra lol at the mural) but towards the end of the season you realized everything about this show is dumb. Just dumb as all gently caress. Once you got past that realization you could start enjoying it.

Compare it to a show like Sleepy Hollow that waited all of 15 minutes before showing you a double machine gun wielding headless horseman and hit you in the face that it was going to be extremely loving stupid (but still good).

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
The problem for me is that all I see when I look at beard-Ward-in-a-muscle-shirt, especially when he attempts puppy dog eyes at Skye is Mac from Always Sunny.

It's actually not a problem. It makes the scenes hilarious.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I figure this is as good a place to ask as any:

Aside from the MCU films, and the SHIELD series itself, is there any other MCU content I need to watch - web series or some such thing?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The Lord Bude posted:

I figure this is as good a place to ask as any:

Aside from the MCU films, and the SHIELD series itself, is there any other MCU content I need to watch - web series or some such thing?

There's the Marvel One-Shots. Basically short films shot while the films are being shot.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Riven posted:

The problem for me is that all I see when I look at beard-Ward-in-a-muscle-shirt, especially when he attempts puppy dog eyes at Skye is Mac from Always Sunny.

It's actually not a problem. It makes the scenes hilarious.

Looks like Mac, acts like Dennis. He's totally going to use his SkyeDad knowledge to Establish Value.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

SwissCM posted:

There's the Marvel One-Shots. Basically short films shot while the films are being shot.

I know about those too. I was thinking more along the lines of online only stuff set between seasons 1 and 2 of shield, I know shows like to do that sometimes to build anticipation.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
There were a couple Rising Tide videos before the first season premiered, but that's like hunting down different commercials and bumpers to watch. You're not going to wring any extra story or enjoyment out of them.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Inkspot posted:

There were a couple Rising Tide videos before the first season premiered, but that's like hunting down different commercials and bumpers to watch. You're not going to wring any extra story or enjoyment out of them.

Thanks, I won't bother.

I watched the first 8 episodes of Shield, then sort of wandered away, before seeing the season 2 premiere. It inspired me to go back and binge the rest of season 1 over the past 3 days.

Overall I enjoyed it - I honestly don't think it was ever bad bad; early on it was mediocre in a season 1 monster of the week Grimm/Smallville/Buffy kinda way - although buffy was always good by monster of the week standards even early on. Plenty of shows - especially scifi/fantasy ones get bogged down in that stuff early on. It was never as bad as say 'middle smallville hunt for the magic dragonballs crystals Teague family bullshit' that we all put up with for a couple of years. I thought it got better even before that final ramp up - probably around 'The Magical Place'.

I'm going to be very angry if they kill off my Fitzie though, or turn him into a villain.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

The Lord Bude posted:

I'm going to be very angry if they kill off my Fitzie though, or turn him into a villain.

It IS a Joss Whedon show. Honestly I have been waiting with trepidation since pretty much day 1 for something really bad to happen to Fitz or Simmons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Its really only technically a Joss Whedon show. I'd say Jed has a lot more to do with production and running things and its all probably more collabaritive than usual for a genre show.

• Locked thread