Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
When you make a stockpile, you can customize it by highlighting it with the q cursor, and pressing s for settings. Stone is one of the broad categories there, with non-economic as one of its subcategories. Enabling that will make it only hold stone that is not used for other stuff. To make wheelbarrows, you can order them at a carpenter's shop. Highlight your stone stockpile with the q cursor again and one of its settings will be max wheelbarrows. Make sure it's anything but 0 and a wheelbarrow will be assigned to the stockpile and used to haul stone to it. For a guaranteed smart-dwarf operation, also press g to give to a workshop, highlight your masonry drop, and press enter. You can do this for as many masonry shops as you want. This will make sure that those masonry shops ONLY take from that stockpile, and never from a pile of stones half way across the fortress. The downside is that if that stockpile is ever empty (due to not having enough haulers or something), the masonry shops will never be able to produce anything. It's a good way to control materials and whatnot though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Jon Joe posted:

This was a pretty poorly designed fort, but there was basically one big stockpile for everything in the fort next to every single workshop.

Been a while since I played, how do I designate non-economic stone, or make wheelbarrows that will be used by the dwarves?

You can make wheelbarrows at a carpenter's workshop. All stockpiles can be assigned 0-3 wheelbarrows, it's in their 'Q' menu. You definitely want them for stone stockpiles, as dwarves really struggle to carry stone by hand these days. Wheelbarrows let them move at top speed, with the downside of reducing the total number of haulers that can fill the stockpile at once.

One thing that may be an issue now is that there simply might not be enough stone. Mining was changed to only leave stones 25% of the time, regardless of the skill of the miner. To combat this, stone blocks now make 4 blocks per input stone. You want to build out of stone blocks anyways -- rough stone walls can be climbed. Stone block walls cannot be climbed.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW
I'm hoping the next update increases FPS as planned. Maybe I could finally include waterfall pumps in my fort again?

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

quote:

(Toady One) It's not done yet, but it looks like we'll be going from the current 16 emotions (and only 6 of those with visible effects/text in dwarf mode) to 119 which'll all at least be visible as text. Most of them also have an effect on the dwarf's well-being (usually through the stress/stability measurements which replace the "happiness" meter). There are another 48 emotions in the main list that I haven't put in since I didn't have pre-existing thought circumstances for them (often stuff about the future, like dread and apprehension and hope). The circumstances give rise to emotion types based on personality and values and those emotions can also be amplified and squashed in the same way.

It'll be interesting to see how it works out once all of the tables/etc. are finished. The main idea isn't really to totally change the current experience so much as to homogenize everything before I start on other features (more bug-fixing first, of course), but hopefully it'll be somewhat entertaining on its own.

We really need an emote to bridge the gap between :psyduck: and :getin:

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Literally Kermit posted:

No, we need a combination of :iit: and :getin:

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Excelzior posted:

And it says: "It is inevitable."

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

reading posted:

I just can't get this to work.
This doesn't give me a species where the females have the normal quadruped body plan, but the males have that and 2WINGS which I added at the end of the body plan. Rather it just messes up stuff strangely, like attacks in the arena "pass through" all the body parts.
Your problem might lie with the SELECT_CASTE syntax - it's normally used for minor tweaks to an existing definition (e.g. caste name, fur color), rather than major changes (e.g. bodyplan). Your current syntax *might* be adding a whole bunch of duplicate bodyparts which the game can't layout properly. Hence the "pass through" message during attacks - Dwarf Fortress is very particular about assigning a deterministic order to every layer of a creature (regardless of whether those layers consist of bone, flesh, goo, vapor, clothing, armor, etc...) so that it can resolve piercing and crushing effects appropriately.

Try removing the bodyplan definition from the [CREATURE] root-level, adding two separate bodyplans into the caste definitions, and then run your arena test again. Thus:
pre:
[CREATURE:PEGASUS]
[BODY:QUADRUPED_NECK_HOOF:TAIL:2EYES:2EARS:NOSE:2LUNGS:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:THROAT:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:SKULL:MOUTH:TONGUE:GENERIC_TEETH:RIBCAGE]
[CASTE:FEMALE]
        [FEMALE]
        [BODY:QUADRUPED_NECK_HOOF:TAIL:2EYES:2EARS:NOSE:2LUNGS:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:THROAT:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:SKULL:MOUTH:TONGUE:GENERIC_TEETH:RIBCAGE]
[CASTE:MALE]
	[MALE]
        [BODY:QUADRUPED_NECK_HOOF:TAIL:2EYES:2EARS:NOSE:2LUNGS:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:THROAT:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:SKULL:MOUTH:TONGUE:GENERIC_TEETH:RIBCAGE:2WINGS]
        [FLIER]

[SELECT_CASTE:MALE]
        [BODY:QUADRUPED_NECK_HOOF:TAIL:2EYES:2EARS:NOSE:2LUNGS:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:THROAT:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:SKULL:MOUTH:TONGUE:GENERIC_TEETH:RIBCAGE:2WINGS]
        [FLIER]
One major problem here is that you're forced to copy-paste a lot of tags (such as body materials) into the two caste blocks, because those tags must appear after the body plan definition. For the sake of simplicity, I'd suggest using the same body-plan for both castes (i.e. don't use the sample that I just provided!), but modifying the tissue properties to suit your needs. Such changes can definitely be made on a per-caste basis. I've used this technique on most of the standard domestic animals, so that only the females will have shearable hair. The males can then be trained as war animals or chained up outside as an early-warning system, and I can keep the females in an enclosed pasture. My farmers will never put themselves into harm's way by attempting to chase down some wayward ram on the other side of the map.

For the "butchering this animal gives bonus leather/meat" idea, I'd suggest hijacking one of the useless tissue layers (nerve or cartilage) for the appropriate caste(s) and appending an EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT tag. You might also be able to repurpose an entire material type (e.g. feathers, which currently have no economic value) via a special TAN_MAT definition or custom reaction. If you specify exactly what you're trying to do, then someone might be able to provide a working sample (which you can tinker with and expand to suit your needs). I don't know whether the pegasus thing is your actual goal, or merely an example that you've used to illustrate the problem.

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009
Anybody have any recommendations on what I should do mid to late game? I can get a fortress running fluidly with relative ease but I don't know what to do with it after that. Things start to fall apart fairly quickly because I don't know what to focus on or how to focus on it.

I know your embark location can have a big effect on that decision, but, in general, what should I do? Metalwork seems logical but the whole idea of magma scares me since I am not all that familiar with this game.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

TJChap2840 posted:

Anybody have any recommendations on what I should do mid to late game? I can get a fortress running fluidly with relative ease but I don't know what to do with it after that. Things start to fall apart fairly quickly because I don't know what to focus on or how to focus on it.

I know your embark location can have a big effect on that decision, but, in general, what should I do? Metalwork seems logical but the whole idea of magma scares me since I am not all that familiar with this game.

You don't need magma for metalworks if you can keep a steady supply of charcoal. Which is fairly easy if you have a few dedicated wood burners and a few multitile trees.

Have you tried your hand at above-ground construction? Build a giant gently caress-off wall around your entrance and then build some towers, or fancy houses for your nobles.

Remember, if you're not sure how to do something, check the wiki. They usually have pretty good instructions over there.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Is it even possible to play this game without the wiki?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

ghetto wormhole posted:

Is it even possible to play this game without the wiki?

Yes, but, considering that Toady considers the wiki to be the game's manual, why wouldn't you use it?

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

Elth posted:

You don't need magma for metalworks if you can keep a steady supply of charcoal. Which is fairly easy if you have a few dedicated wood burners and a few multitile trees.

Have you tried your hand at above-ground construction? Build a giant gently caress-off wall around your entrance and then build some towers, or fancy houses for your nobles.

Remember, if you're not sure how to do something, check the wiki. They usually have pretty good instructions over there.

Thanks! I use the wiki all the time. It's mostly just a case of analysis paralysis.

The amount of choices DF offers you is astounding.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the wiki is less 'required' and more 'highly suggested' either due to guides on how to do certain things or just general stats and info for various units. it's not like there's really much of anything to spoil.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

TJChap2840 posted:

Elth posted:

Ignore this insane goon. You need running water for a dwarf fortress. And even more important (although secondary in the planning/achieving sense of a fort) is to have running magma as well. If you cannot burn invaders alive when you're too bored of fighting them (or if you're devoted to your commander being out of hospital enough to be present for every skirmish), if you're using "trees" or "coal" to make anything other than steel, if you haven't made a thriving glass industry as a lazy means of pumping magma to the surface, then you are not being dwarf enough.

I am sorry you had to hear this from me rather than a friend, but you have to know that the magma sea is the future of your fort.

Elth posted:

Listen to this crazy goon. They speak sooth.

Moats should be an embellishment of your walls, rather than your first choice for defenses. Also, building fancy towers and houses shows your devotion to your dwarves. Any Urist, Melbil, or Dodok can dig. Constructions take real effort and planning. Plus seeing how far upwards you can expand your fort is fun.

Personally, my own goal is to get to around 13 yrs with a given fort so that useless babies and booze-sponge children become productive members of the fortress. Then my ancient migrants start dying off as well. Training/protecting kids with their whole lives ahead of them is better than a handful of bizarre artifacts in my opinion.

Speaking of bizarre relics of your fort, make sure your dwarves start to get self-referential. Unless you have a few artifacts referencing other artifacts, it is not time to throw in the towel just yet.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

scamtank posted:

It involves a magic little plugin called Text Will Be Text. It hijacks a bunch of rendering processes through DFHack to do its thing.

What it lets you do is use one tileset for menus and text (and the screens that aren't supported yet, natch) and one for the playing field, reconciling the size automatically. It even bypasses the hardcoded 80-tile minimum display width, letting you use massive tiles even with a 4:3 screen. There's even an option to render multiple Z-levels at once, but that's a different kind of awesome.

I'm using Bedstead 6x10 for the text and Vidumec 15x15 for the map. When you have the right version of the plugin in the right place (\Dwarf Fortress\hack\plugins) and the tile sheets, you open up the inits.

Your PRINT_MODE must be TWBT and GRAPHICS must be YES. FONT and FULLFONT tilesets are used for the text, GRAPHIC_FONT and GRAPHIC_FULLFONT for the map. If you're running all ASCII, note that this will activate the pointless sample creature graphics that Toady has included with the game. Delete those first.

That should cover everything possible, I think.

you didn't cover overrides :getin:

Literally Kermit posted:

"Urist McPlanter cancels plant plump helmet seeds: ennui"

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

TJChap2840 posted:

Magma is pretty easy to handle if you're safe. To be safe:

Find your third cavern. From there, just drill down. Little 1x1 or 2x2 stairs straight down as far as you can. Magma isn't pressurized, so it won't come up though the stairs, and your miners won't fall. Keep drilling side by side until you find the top of a magma source. Dig above it. This part will be tedious - I always recommend turning off heat/wet notification pausing. Dig out above a magma lake or whatever, the channel and you have easy, safe magma, for the cost of a handful of miners. Slap hatches on exploratory shafts to keep out crabs and such. Try to place a magma smelter/forge and it'll show you were the holes are. Make one channeled in the appropriate place and you're in no danger.

Once you're more familiar with screw pumps (something I still struggle with), you can move magma into an upper basin and carve everything out beforehand.

E: I typically use DFHack and just make myself a goddamned magma basin after clearing out forge space high in my fort, because I've been lazy about learning pump stacks. My next fort, I'm probably going to do the same thing, but I plan to pump water all over the loving place so I can finally learn about pumping, auto power, and mechanics.

Solid Poopsnake fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Sep 27, 2014

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I built a giant pumpstack once and a giant minecart lava delivery system once and from now on I also just usually DFhack myself a pool of lava where I want it after discovering it because that poo poo takes hours to set up properly. Either that or I usually embark on a volcano and tap it at the surface.

Maybe if minecarts could hold more lava but as it is they can only carry 3-4 units (forgot exactly which) and if you fill a cistern of any appreciable volume you lose a lot of lava to evaporation. I had 5 carts running the track picking up lava and dumping it at the surface, any more and they would crash and get backed up (but maybe my track system could use more efficiency).

That was also before I discovered impulse ramps so I think I could do it much simpler if I had to again but eh. The effort involved is still not negligible and the whole thing probably takes more FPS than I care to sacrifice.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Sep 27, 2014

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I just dig out some space for my Deepforges just above the magma and then create a slave caste of smelters with nearby bedrooms, a dining room, and a food and booze supply. They never leave the Deepforges.

Also, are you colonizing the caves? It's pretty cool to colonize the caves.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Excelzior posted:

:riker:

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Kenning posted:

I just dig out some space for my Deepforges just above the magma and then create a slave caste of smelters with nearby bedrooms, a dining room, and a food and booze supply. They never leave the Deepforges.

My current megaproject goal is to build a multi-city fortress, with active and (if possible) self-sufficient societies at the magma sea, cavern 2, the first rock strata, and the surface. Apart from the miner-elite, everyone else is to be burrowed to their own broad territories.

Success is a long way off...

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

That sort of thing would be a lot easier if children were automatically assigned to the same burrow as their parents.

reading
Jul 27, 2013

GulMadred posted:

Your problem might lie with the SELECT_CASTE syntax - it's normally used for minor tweaks to an existing definition (e.g. caste name, fur color), rather than major changes (e.g. bodyplan). Your current syntax *might* be adding a whole bunch of duplicate bodyparts which the game can't layout properly. Hence the "pass through" message during attacks - Dwarf Fortress is very particular about assigning a deterministic order to every layer of a creature (regardless of whether those layers consist of bone, flesh, goo, vapor, clothing, armor, etc...) so that it can resolve piercing and crushing effects appropriately.

Try removing the bodyplan definition from the [CREATURE] root-level, adding two separate bodyplans into the caste definitions, and then run your arena test again. Thus:
pre:
[CREATURE:PEGASUS]
[CASTE:FEMALE]
        [FEMALE]
[CASTE:MALE]
	[MALE]
        [FLIER]

[SELECT_CASTE:MALE]
        [FLIER]
One major problem here is that you're forced to copy-paste a lot of tags (such as body materials) into the two caste blocks, because those tags must appear after the body plan definition. For the sake of simplicity, I'd suggest using the same body-plan for both castes (i.e. don't use the sample that I just provided!), but modifying the tissue properties to suit your needs. Such changes can definitely be made on a per-caste basis. I've used this technique on most of the standard domestic animals, so that only the females will have shearable hair. The males can then be trained as war animals or chained up outside as an early-warning system, and I can keep the females in an enclosed pasture. My farmers will never put themselves into harm's way by attempting to chase down some wayward ram on the other side of the map.

For the "butchering this animal gives bonus leather/meat" idea, I'd suggest hijacking one of the useless tissue layers (nerve or cartilage) for the appropriate caste(s) and appending an EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT tag. You might also be able to repurpose an entire material type (e.g. feathers, which currently have no economic value) via a special TAN_MAT definition or custom reaction. If you specify exactly what you're trying to do, then someone might be able to provide a working sample (which you can tinker with and expand to suit your needs). I don't know whether the pegasus thing is your actual goal, or merely an example that you've used to illustrate the problem.

I think the EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT:BY_CATEGORY: tag is not obeyed by the game.

For example, how would I add a unicorn horn to male unicorns that showed up when they got butchered? Does that already happen for rhinos and elephants or other animals with horns? I don't know what the relation is between b_detail_plan_default.txt, body_default.txt, and the relevant entry in creature_domestic.txt for example. Right now the game crashes as soon as a unicorn is butchered, although I can add the actual body part just fine for the purposes of combat and wounds- it works ok there.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

It happens for sheep. Rams get horns, ewes don't.

body_default tells you what the different bodyparts do and what's connected to where. b_detail_plan_default tells you what materials they're made of and what the layering is.

Pseudonut
Jun 1, 2004

I finally took the time to figure something out that has been frustrating me for years. Ever wonder why adjustments to the KEY_HOLD and KEY_REPEAT functions in init.txt don't actually do what you think they should? That's because most of the movement keys ignore them by default! If you're sick of mashing keys to scroll through lists, just go into interface.txt and do a find and replace from "FAST" to "SLOW".

reading
Jul 27, 2013
Is there any way to edit the raws to get my civilian dwarves to carry weapons with them, even if they're not woodcutters or miners? I've been contemplating having my civilians rotate through a "military reservist" program where they spend a couple months out of the year training, and carry iron daggers or some light weight weapon all the time, just so if they get surprised by a hungry head or a giant bat they actually stand a chance of dodging a couple attacks and getting away (or fighting).

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

reading posted:

Is there any way to edit the raws to get my civilian dwarves to carry weapons with them, even if they're not woodcutters or miners? I've been contemplating having my civilians rotate through a "military reservist" program where they spend a couple months out of the year training, and carry iron daggers or some light weight weapon all the time, just so if they get surprised by a hungry head or a giant bat they actually stand a chance of dodging a couple attacks and getting away (or fighting).

You can assign *every dwarf to a squad. The civilian squads get weapons and maybe basic leather armor (leather gives some protection and won't slow them down). Set each squad to training every month, but only require 2 dwarfs to train at a time, and at any given time 1/5 of your semi-civilian dwarfs will be on duty training.

A cheap way to arm them all is to have a bowyer cranking out bone crossbows. Before long you'll have masterpiece bone crossbows, which are just as good for shooting as masterpiece steel crossbows, but they are much lighter. 20 novice archers all unloading at once can put the hurt on most things. As a bonus, when they run out of ammo some will choose to go get more ammo rather than running up to the enemy to fight. If you are short on weapons grade metal for bolts, bone is slightly better than wood.

*Not actually every dwarf: miners, hunters and woodcutters should not be assigned to squads, because they will spam equipment conflicts since they refuse to use the same weapons as part of their uniform and their civilian job. Make all your clothes out of leather and they'll have almost as much protection as the leather armored dwarfs.

I don't care to spend that much time in the military screen, so I simply make sure every adult not in the military is a miner, **hunter, or woodcutter. Mostly woodcutters. When I assign some trees to be cut 50 dudes rush out and it is done quick, so having them take time off from their real jobs isn't a problem. Off duty military dwarfs may choose to run toward danger rather than away from it, while woodcutters usually run away. I'd much rather my valuable smiths and whatnot run away from danger, and only fight if cornered.

**Huntress, actually. I really hate the fact that female military dwarfs will use their babies as shields, yet I'm too lazy to pay attention to birth announcements and put mothers on maternity leave. So all women that arrive with military skill become hunters instead of soldiers. The highest skill military female eventually becomes the baron's Champion, so she can instruct military dwarfs without being in the military herself.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

reading posted:

Just draft them, set them to only train for a month per year or a couple months with low participation requirements, set them to wear their uniform when off duty and make the uniform just a dagger or whatever.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

toady posted:

It's not done yet, but it looks like we'll be going from the current 16 emotions (and only 6 of those with visible effects/text in dwarf mode) to 119 which'll all at least be visible as text.

:catstare:

Urist was feeling existential angst today.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Moridin920 posted:

:catstare:

Urist was feeling existential angst today.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

:iit:

Seriously, though, I can't even think of 119 emotions that would have different effects on me.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Oh, I think there are ways to achieve that.

There's a total of 456 lines describing different states of size, height, breadth, strength and fatness in a single line. I'd assume there's at least that much room for emotional overlap, too.

scamtank fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Sep 28, 2014

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

Gus Hobbleton posted:

When you make a stockpile, you can customize it by highlighting it with the q cursor, and pressing s for settings. Stone is one of the broad categories there, with non-economic as one of its subcategories. Enabling that will make it only hold stone that is not used for other stuff. To make wheelbarrows, you can order them at a carpenter's shop. Highlight your stone stockpile with the q cursor again and one of its settings will be max wheelbarrows. Make sure it's anything but 0 and a wheelbarrow will be assigned to the stockpile and used to haul stone to it. For a guaranteed smart-dwarf operation, also press g to give to a workshop, highlight your masonry drop, and press enter. You can do this for as many masonry shops as you want. This will make sure that those masonry shops ONLY take from that stockpile, and never from a pile of stones half way across the fortress. The downside is that if that stockpile is ever empty (due to not having enough haulers or something), the masonry shops will never be able to produce anything. It's a good way to control materials and whatnot though.

This is an especially good strategy for cutting blocks to build walls, fortifications, floors, etc.

Do wheelbarrows still limit hauling bandwidth? I find that when I use wheelbarrows, my dwarves stop hauling stone to the stockpile by hand. I haven't formally measured the difference, but it actually seems faster to disable wheelbarrows from the stone stockpile and let a large group of dwarves hand-carry all the stone to it (assuming I have the manpower). If I keep hauling enabled for everyone, I can usually fill a 4x4 or 5x5 stockpile in a single hauling trip.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
I think a stockpile will only generate as many hauling jobs as it has wheelbarrows assigned (not how many wheelbarrows it actually has). Thus a wheelbarrow-equipped stockpile will only ever have a maximum of 3 haulers working at a time. Disabling wheelbarrows might be better if you have large stockpiles and idle haulers; but you can also split your stockpiles into many smaller stockpiles, each with 3 wheelbarrows.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Wheelbarrows are intended to be nothing but a temporary stopgap before minecarts, anyway.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Minecarts suck for stone hauling, too -- they can only haul 5 stones at once. I guess you can ameliorate that by making a LOT of minecart tracks and routes for stone, but it's still a PITA.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
RE: Barracks

In reading something on dfhack i see some bug fixin for rack / stand sizes.. which makes me think ive been doing it all wrong before. Just how many armore stands / weapon racks -should- you have per dwarf / squad ?

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Adventure mode: Does anyone know if I can be a wereanimal, vampire, necromancer and husk adventurer all at the same time? Does becoming a necromancer really prevent you from gaining attributes or is that just a rumour? Also, the OP says adventure mode isn't that great compared to other roguelikes, but the closest thing I've found is Unreal World. Anyone more experienced with roguelikes know which other game is better when it comes to the adventure mode style of play?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Roundboy posted:

RE: Barracks

In reading something on dfhack i see some bug fixin for rack / stand sizes.. which makes me think ive been doing it all wrong before. Just how many armore stands / weapon racks -should- you have per dwarf / squad ?

The fix-armory stuff hasn't been updated for 0.40.xx, unfortunately. Those armor stands and weapon racks keep on being decorative until it does.

e: the way it should work, though, the Individual storage means each weapon rack carries 5 weapons, one armor stand maintains two pieces of armor per body slot (a pair of gauntlets, a mail shirt and a breastplate etc.), cabinets keep any clothing type items of the uniform and chests store the knapsacks and canteens. The sQuad storage tag says that the squad's assigned bolts and arrows are kept in chests in this room. If you build any chests in an archery range that's set to actively Train people, the squad's training bolts go in there.

scamtank fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Sep 29, 2014

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Back To 99 posted:

Adventure mode: Does anyone know if I can be a wereanimal, vampire, necromancer and husk adventurer all at the same time? Does becoming a necromancer really prevent you from gaining attributes or is that just a rumour? Also, the OP says adventure mode isn't that great compared to other roguelikes, but the closest thing I've found is Unreal World. Anyone more experienced with roguelikes know which other game is better when it comes to the adventure mode style of play?

Unreal world was fun when I last played it (2 years ago), and has a different kind of complexity than DF.

As for necromancers, you DIE when you read that tablet. From that point on, you're undead. Same for being a vampire. Undead don't gain stats. You can be a vampire, then become a necromancer, and then get murked. You can't be both a werebeast and a vampire, since one is alive and the other ain't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

scamtank posted:

The fix-armory stuff hasn't been updated for 0.40.xx, unfortunately. Those armor stands and weapon racks keep on being decorative until it does.

e: the way it should work, though, the Individual storage means each weapon rack carries 5 weapons, one armor stand maintains two pieces of armor per body slot (a pair of gauntlets, a mail shirt and a breastplate etc.), cabinets keep any clothing type items of the uniform and chests store the knapsacks and canteens. The sQuad storage tag says that the squad's assigned bolts and arrows are kept in chests in this room. If you build any chests in an archery range that's set to actively Train people, the squad's training bolts go in there.

I've noticed that even with the fix DFhack provides for .34, trying to do this ends up with dwarves putting their weapons on the weapon rack and never picking them up again so you legendary swords- and axedwarfs end up running out to fight with just their bare hands.

I just build 1 armor rack and never designate individual or squad storage in barracks.