Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

N9 isn't a very good mictlan bless by itself. Get another bless nation like one of the monkey nations or something and go W9F9 imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Nuclearmonkee posted:

N9 isn't a very good mictlan bless by itself. Get another bless nation like one of the monkey nations or something and go W9F9 imo.

N9 is a perfectly serviceable Mictlan bless if they're going scales Mictlan, though I'd caution against an awake N9 and go for a dormant N9 instead, maybe with E4, on a giant nation.

EA Niefl would work very good with EA Mictlan, going for the full cold scales as Mictlan focuses on bloodsaccing to push the cold dom for the giants.

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Sep 26, 2014

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
If it has to be an awake pretender, how's about Caelum with a Dom 7 F9D4B4 Angra Mainyu, O3S2H1G3M2D3, and an E5N5 Dragon?

It's a pretty hard-hitting bless with a little durability, good for Mairya or Kavi as well as Eagles/Jags, and means you can get access to all of the pretty great mid-late game D/F summons. Dragon can get pretty much everything in E/N that way, too, which is a handy path for Mictlan to get broad access to if possible.

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012
The nation-drafting makes some options more likely than others (and this makes N9 appealing because several nations with N3 chasis are still in the pool), but thanks for the suggestions, it does give me stuff to mull over.

I agree that something offensive like W9F9 suits Mictlan better (and as a bonus gives us a vengeful waters caster down the road), I guess my thinking was that slightly weaker jags would be the tradeoff for an awake dragon with regen who can obviously do well against any indies and also deals with EA glamour units assuming he lands breath attacks. One catch there is that we can't actually use Mictlan's excellent bless pretenders because we want Mictlan to be a disciple, in order to avoid the Mictlan dompush mechanic.

The endgame summons kinda don't concern me too much, I feel like disciples Mictlan can just rev their blood engine and then dompush enchantments to close out the game. Maybe this is a little ambitious for a 2 player team though

Jon Joe posted:

EA Niefl would work very good with EA Mictlan, going for the full cold scales as Mictlan focuses on bloodsaccing to push the cold dom for the giants.

This might sound crazy but I actually tested a bit with a heat2 Nief where Nief goes a sloth build that focuses on skratti and cap-only werewolves early on with no ice power units (obviously this would involve Nief aggressively donating good income provinces to Mictlan). However, apparently you can only get pretender points for a maximum of -3 bonus to your temp scales. IE, after Neif moves their temp scales to neutral they stop getting more pretender poitns if they go H1 or H2, which unfortunately isn't great synergy with Mictlan. The cold build sounds more straightforward and does give us 2 blood nations to play with.

edit: Gonna test out some F bless expansion and also going dormant on the N9 to see how that feels. I can definitely see the value of F bless for actually landing hits on ponies and white centaurs

TheresNoThyme fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 27, 2014

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

There's also the fact that Nief spreads cold outside your dominion. You want cold 3 to take advantage of that. (It fucks your neighbors economies.)

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

folytopo
Nov 5, 2013
I like to play disciple games more than is healthy and have been trying to get drafting formula right. I think I am the admin in TheresNoThyme's game. I have tried snake drafting before but with 5 or more teams snake drafting gets a little dicier. The current game is 5 teams of 2. The current setup for the draft is that each nation nation submits 3 picks for the first nation then rolls off in the case of conflicts. The cycle is repeated on more time for the second nation. This is my first draft with this system. Does Something Awful have a good method for drafting?

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012

folytopo posted:

I like to play disciple games more than is healthy and have been trying to get drafting formula right. I think I am the admin in TheresNoThyme's game. I have tried snake drafting before but with 5 or more teams snake drafting gets a little dicier. The current game is 5 teams of 2. The current setup for the draft is that each nation nation submits 3 picks for the first nation then rolls off in the case of conflicts. The cycle is repeated on more time for the second nation. This is my first draft with this system. Does Something Awful have a good method for drafting?

Hey dude, you're indeed the admin for my game. For what it's worth, I don't mind the draft method we're using right now. It's simple but straightforward enough to keep the pace from slowing down too much.

I'm not sure about competing draft methods but one thing that can be fun is including a ban phase before picking nations, though in a game with 5 teams that could obviously result in quite a large portion of the pool being excluded. It may also be a dumb idea that I only like because of playing way too much dota.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

folytopo posted:

Honestly I think snake draft is probably the best. What's 'dicier' about it?

folytopo
Nov 5, 2013
When there are 5 or 6 teams, the people who have 1st and 2nd pick can be hosed because there are 10 or 9 picks between your picks. So you have to options that do not require weird scales or that can strongly benefit from synergy. This is more of a problem when you want to do the 3 temperature scales trick or when you pick something that relies on a bless and have no good partners left by the end. I think snake is the best for smaller numbers of teams or large team sizes. The other thing about snake draft with 5 or 6 teams is that it can take awhile and this method is considerably quicker.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

It seems like custom race mods are no longer in vogue here, but just for kicks I whipped up a mod for a dwarven race loosely based on Dwarf Fortress and a small number of other sources.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/wa8cex5mkyo98ne/underhome10.rar

I started with Vanheim's dwarf and after discovering that size 1 was unworkable I bumped them up to size 2 but gave them equipment with the same cost as size 1. As a downside they use extra supplies and mostly use shorter weapons than human-sized units. The special adamantine equipment costs triple the resources of other equipment. The sprites use the DwarfQueen sprites from CoE as a base mostly, in addition to the Dom4 sprites.

They probably need a few balance passes, but I've added almost everything I intend to add at this point. I might at a later date add unique artifacts and another new god or two. Mostly I'm looking to balance it and make sure it doesn't feel too close to, say, Ulm. Throw some feedback at me, criticisms and whatever else.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

:dance:

This is why you do not leave your pgod in 4 candles of enemy dom. gently caress yoou Azi, gently caress yooooou :fuckoff:

The battle is actually pretty hilarious; he breathes fire on the white centaurs, fails to kill any of them but causes them all to berserk and immediately kick the poo poo out of him.

The Gentleman
Jun 21, 2012
That looks real neat Magil, but as you say balance may be tricky. I'll try it out this weekend though.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
They're fun! I'm not sure about the balance, and there's a typo in the Earthpriest's description (Second sentence starts with 'Earthpirest'), but the dungeon mechanic is fascinating - how did you get it to work?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Neruz posted:

This is why you do not leave your pgod in 4 candles of enemy dom. gently caress yoou Azi, gently caress yooooou :fuckoff:

The battle is actually pretty hilarious; he breathes fire on the white centaurs, fails to kill any of them but causes them all to berserk and immediately kick the poo poo out of him.

It was 3 candles, actually. That battle was an error on two parts; first was getting my prophet killed instead of stealthing it onto your cap to eek out an extra point of dominion possibly, and the second was doing anything other than immediately retreating from your capital in prep for round 2.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
How do I install a mod for dominions 4?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Kanthulhu posted:

http://www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/modding-dom4-for-newbies-first-steps

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Kanthulhu posted:

tl;dr version of that link: on the main menu, click Tools -> Open User Data Directory -> Mods, and extract things to the path there. I'd favourite the place in Windows, because it's in roaming appdata which might be normally hidden.

Then you run it by clicking the "Mods" button in the main menu and picking it from the list.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)

Thank you.

I played around with the dwarves for a bit and they are a lot of fun. I just think the Apprentice Smith is too good. He's cheap, can get to earth 4 (making casting some earth globals too easy) and can forge with bonus just as well as the Master Smith. Something has to be nerfed there, IMHO.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...

Magil Zeal posted:

It seems like custom race mods are no longer in vogue here, but just for kicks I whipped up a mod for a dwarven race loosely based on Dwarf Fortress and a small number of other sources.
The flavor of the race and its abilities is pretty awesome. It seems incredibly overpowered and 'deep' for a MA nation, though.

Things I liked:
  • Gluttony actually was a factor in how I could use my troops. Feeding dwarves is tough.
  • Their troops are pretty cheap for what you get. They're really strong, which is what you would expect from dwarves
  • The resource and siege mechanics are great
  • The capitol site that you can enter to delve into a dungeon is awesome

Challenges:
  • Compare a Storm King with a Flame Spirit - Storm Kings are pretty insane at Conj5 and 30 gems
  • Everburning are like more accessible tarts, maybe better, way sooner. Yikes
  • Avatar is super powerful for Alt 4. It adds several extra layers of protection to your thugs, which are already insanely strong
  • I would drop their death or blood paths entirely. They are already really strong with earth, fire and air, and the extra booster/forging power is kinda gross.
  • Their adamantine forged items are really really strong. Items should probably be this strong across the board, but until then, they're just on another level.
  • Their cap-only sacreds are just crazy. The thugs stats are just unreal, plus a double attacking magic weapon for free.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

I love playing MA Ermor. I also may be turning into Neruz, send help.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

BurntCornMuffin posted:

:doom:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Welcome to the Dark Side! Embrace your Inner Villain; every good game needs a good antagonist.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I actually don't mind Ermor if I'm playing an elf or underwater nation.

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
kill ermor

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Have Some Flowers! posted:

The flavor of the race and its abilities is pretty awesome. It seems incredibly overpowered and 'deep' for a MA nation, though.

Yeah, the adamantine dudes are just on another level. Encumbrance 1 means their insane protection doesn't get countered by critical hits very easily, apart from all the stuff you already mentioned.

Nation would be balanced and more thematic if horrors attacked your capital each time you recruited an adamantine dude, imo. Also needs nation events for Forgotten Beasts attacking at random.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Kurnugia posted:

kill ermor

You can't kill what is dead!

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

So as a new player who has never done anything more than the occasional AI game but never really learned how things work. Are there a few good newbie friendly nations and builds I could practice before delving into a newbie game?

I really like the look of the monkey nation and Vanaheim.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Stuff like this is why the first thing I'm planning for when making a new pretender is how to combat BOT. That spell is like a nuclear bomb and if used with a nation like Ermor, like a nuclear bomb used by people immune to nuclear explosions.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

BurntCornMuffin posted:

please don't turn into neruz

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
You know I've never actually casted Burden of Time.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

Here I deal with an early game rush sieging my cap in the simplest way possible, since it was A Simple Game:

1. Summon ants
2. Throw fireballs

Ants eat enemy soldiers, fireballs burn everything left. Case closed. :smuggo:

And here I am balancing the scales by loving up royally in another game.

Things I've learned in Turkish Delight so far:

1. Normal land units under water < A shitload of water elementals.
2. Fake army made out of magic air < A shitload of water elementals.

Looks like I've to try again here. :shepface:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

scalded schlong posted:

Nation would be balanced and more thematic if horrors attacked your capital each time you recruited an adamantine dude, imo.

Make adamantine units an E gem summon, with a roll to summon a varying-level demon every time. 0-50%, nothing happens. 51-75%, summoner is attacked by a demon/devil of some sort. 76-90%, small indep demon army sieges. 91-97% demon lord. 98-100% You dug too greedily and too deep, open the demon gates.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

ChickenWing posted:

Make adamantine units an E gem summon, with a roll to summon a varying-level demon every time. 0-50%, nothing happens. 51-75%, summoner is attacked by a demon/devil of some sort. 76-90%, small indep demon army sieges. 91-97% demon lord. 98-100% You dug too greedily and too deep, open the demon gates.

Make no mention of these chances whatsoever, obscure them wherever possible, and refer to the 98-100% chance bracket simply as "Fun."

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Have a capital site that spreads horror marks. If possible make this site necessary for summoning adamantine dudes.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Give all units Insanity 5 to represent the chance of a Strange Mood.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

Speleothing posted:

Have a capital site that spreads horror marks. If possible make this site necessary for summoning adamantine dudes.

To expand on this suggestion: have a Strike The Earth unique ritual spell that spawns the Adamantine Mine site, which in turn allows adamantine recruitment from any fortress you've Struck The Earth at but has a number of dangerous side effects attached to it. Maybe not horror marks, but demon attacks and so on.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I appreciate the suggestions guys, but I don't think it's possible to mod in custom events. And there are certain things I can't do with the modding tools available, like I really wanted to create and EA Agartha-esque "break the seal" spell to represent penetrating the adamantine pits and releasing a horde of demons on the world, but it doesn't seem like I can replicate that with the modding tools.

The adamantine guys are intended to be powerful yet also very expensive, so I'll work on that. The commander is going to be slow-to-recruit for sure, and maybe even the sacred troops need to be as well, I'm not sure. It is possible to give a magic site a chance to horrormark so I could do that with the cap-only site, it just seems a little mean so I'm hesitant to do so, but it's something I can consider at least!

Thanks for the feedback in general. Mundane statistics are probably going to be reduced overall slightly, and I'm going to be working on some of the things suggested, like Storm Kings are going to be bumped up to Conj6 and have an increased gem cost. I feel the Ever-Burning is fine where he is because he is a unique summon, unlike Tartarians, which can be spammed endlessly. But maybe Conj8 is a better home for him, I haven't decided yet. Along those lines, though nobody has commented on the Adamantine King summon it might need to go to Construction 9 as a sort of capstone summon. It's roughly as strong as Sankis but non-unique.

Thematically, adamantine gear is extremely lightweight. I've made all adamantine gear incur 0 encumbrance but cost triple the resources of normal gear (this is somewhat but not completely offset by the fact that dwarves have the resource cost of size 1 units). Most 1-handed adamantine weapons also have 2 attacks. If that's too strong, I'll try to better think of a way to represent its lightweight nature in the weapon slot.

As for magic, the original 4 paths of EAFD came from Vanheim's dwarven smith, so I pretty much ran with that. The death access is pretty minimal, and the Blood is a thematic choice to help transition into what I have for an idea for a LA version of the nation (Slaves to the Blood God). Blood is very minimal, but I can remove the possibility of a blood random from the High Smiths, which leaves only the heretic sacreds as recruitable blood mages along with a 10% random on the Earthpriest. Though the possibility of getting E4 on an Apprentice Smith is very, very low (requires rolling E on a 100% EAFD and 10% EAFD), they may also need to be bumped up in price and I can remove the earth random from the 10% roll. Death access... I will consider dropping it, though I'd like to point out it's already very, very limited, as it can only be obtained via random rolls or on the homesick, cave-only recruit Svartalf.

It's also possible that I could transition this to an EA nation, though that messes with my story plans, but if I can't make the adamantine sacreds work I might just have to do that. Or I could drop the adamantine sacreds for this age (except possibly as summons) and put them in the EA version of the nation (Mountain Kings), and run with a different angle for MA. As for items, I'm a bit unsure as to how to balance them, basically I ran with Adamantine equipment at level 0 is basically existing blacksteel equipment with 0 encumbrance, and the other items were just existing items with the properties swapped around and 0 encumbrance. I like the idea that dwarves get moderately better magic items than others, I'm just not sure how far I should go for "moderately." Anyways, I'll have a new version out sometime in the next day or so most likely, with heroes and some of the adjustments mentioned above.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Perhaps just give adamantine stuff really good defense bonuses? :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Event modding will be a soon to be thing. I would give adamantine weapons a defense malus considering the fact it has a weight similar to that of Styrofoam and feels a bit unnatural to defend with. Admantine armor would still have a weight, probably comparable to leather armor considering the fact it does defend from cuts and stabs quite well, the extreme light weight makes it terrible against blunt force. I'd assume the dwarves would wear some sort of padding underneath.
Maybe make adamantine units a summon, like the Forge Rim/Furnace/Rune Armor Sets from CoE.

amuayse fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Sep 28, 2014

• Locked thread