Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Wow, apparently Grappler's Quest is going to stop doing tournaments. That feels like the end of an era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

fatherdog posted:

Wow, apparently Grappler's Quest is going to stop doing tournaments. That feels like the end of an era.

I had no idea they were even in trouble. That really sucks.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

I had no idea they were even in trouble. That really sucks.

Oh wait, I may have jumped the gun. Now it's that they've "postponed all remaining 2014 events during our restructuring process."

Honestly I would be shocked if GQ was in any actual danger fiscally; it takes in a ton of cash and Cimins is still having his parents work the door with volunteers doing weighins paid by being allowed to compete for free. I'm not sure what's actually going down.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
wee status update, after 5 classes (3 this week). yeah it's fun. today, my partner introduced himself as Sparticus, kinda took the piss out my straight ankle lock technique, said I smelled like bath salts then rolled me with vigour when I called him Sparky. He was just a kid (im 30) and mucking about but I was annoyed with him to begin with then realised he's just on his own planet. anyway, after that I swept a dude about 1/2 the size and 1/2 the age of me. first sweep! felt good.

edit: would you say, "I rolled him", or "I swept him"?

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
swept

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Technically speaking it's only a sweep if you're on the bottom with guard or half-guard when you initiate the action that gets you into top position. If you're in a disadvantageous position (bottom side control or mounted) and manage to get on top then it's a reversal. The main difference being that the latter isn't worth any points in most competitions.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
cheets for the clarification

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

ICHIBAHN posted:

wee status update, after 5 classes (3 this week). yeah it's fun. today, my partner introduced himself as Sparticus, kinda took the piss out my straight ankle lock technique, said I smelled like bath salts then rolled me with vigour when I called him Sparky. He was just a kid (im 30) and mucking about but I was annoyed with him to begin with then realised he's just on his own planet. anyway, after that I swept a dude about 1/2 the size and 1/2 the age of me. first sweep! felt good.

edit: would you say, "I rolled him", or "I swept him"?

I'd be concerned why he knew what bath salts smelled like

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

I really like my ORIGIN gi I bought a couple years ago, but still, :lol: at this marketing

http://www.originbjj.com/store/product/the-bootlegger-white-lighning-gi

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

colonel_korn posted:

I really like my ORIGIN gi I bought a couple years ago, but still, :lol: at this marketing

Would buy if it was Nikita Krylov, but I'm pretty sure he's never taken a jujitsu class in his life.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

colonel_korn posted:

You could make literally the nicest gis in the world but if you have a dude wearing a fedora and wielding a prop tommy gun advertising them for you I'm not buying one.

Does anyone have one of those Adidas Ripstop gis and would recommend it? I want to pick up something lighter for summer but the material on them feels stiff as hell.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

colonel_korn posted:

This is me irl

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
wait wait wait, I misremembered, he said I smelled like bubble bath which was weird because I never have baths. think he was being wacky or I need to change my washing detergent.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Smelling like bubble bath is better than sweaty rear end in a top hat so you probably shouldn't change anything.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
yup. when he said 'you smell like', I was like, aw gently caress. freshly washed gi though :) BTW, gently caress gis! such a pain in the arse to carry around and wear.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

ICHIBAHN posted:

BTW, gently caress gis! such a pain in the arse to carry around and wear.

How dare you.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I dare. also, someone asked me how many tabs I have. tabs are a thing apparently?

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Friend of mine flew out here for a day for work, came to the gym with me, forgot to wash his gi before bed, and then had to carry it on the plane with him. Gross.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

ICHIBAHN posted:

I dare. also, someone asked me how many tabs I have. tabs are a thing apparently?

My first instinct would be that tabs = stripes, although I have never heard this lingo personally.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

4 years, 3 gyms, 3 states, and 2 jobs later...

Honored to have been promoted by such a great coach.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Is that purple to brown promotion? Nice!

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011
Here is my interview with Keenan Cornelius

http://youtu.be/2RWlku33NKU

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009
I competed in my first ever tournament (only took me 2.5 years...) a few weeks ago annnnnndddd I lost all my matches. Loved the experience though, and will certainly do it again. Finally got the matches on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vn_bEMcIc8

This was my last of the day (I did 4 divisions), but also the only one I scored any points in and looked competent at all. Not coincidentally, it's the only one I start by pulling guard instead of trying to work my meager stand-up game. I'm the one with the goatee. All critiques welcome.

Edit: Oh and congrats ch3cooh. That's wonderful.

Sprecherscrow fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Sep 29, 2014

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

ch3cooh posted:

4 years, 3 gyms, 3 states, and 2 jobs later...

Honored to have been promoted by such a great coach.

Congratulations!

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
I just... gotta get this stick.... man,,,,,

http://thelloydirvinleglockstick.com/

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I tried following the directions to make my own Lloyd Irvin leglock stick but it wouldn't stay extended.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Mr. Pool posted:

I just... gotta get this stick.... man,,,,,

http://thelloydirvinleglockstick.com/

That just looks like a mop handle with a bunch of tape on it.

fatherdog posted:

I tried following the directions to make my own Lloyd Irvin leglock stick but it wouldn't stay extended.

:iceburn:

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

fatherdog posted:

There is one guy in my group of friends who is now nicknamed Lloyd because while he's very good at jiu jitsu, he wilts when there's an audience.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
I'm really happy I don't have to train at a TLI gym anymore. Just started at a Gracie academy gym, I can handle Gracie jokes much better =]

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Shrug

Ghetto Blaster
Jul 25, 2006

Thinking about going to BJJ class today, having never done any martial arts what should i expect from my first lesson, and what clothing shall i wear?

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Ghetto Blaster posted:

Thinking about going to BJJ class today, having never done any martial arts what should i expect from my first lesson, and what clothing shall i wear?

Gym shorts and a t shirt (not a nice one) should be fine. Make sure your nails are clipped (toes too!) It really depends on the school but most places will usually have you off to the side doing some basic stuff. For me I remember they taught me breaking guard, stack pass to side control, then mount (a very basic series of moves which is very easy). They also taught me a rear naked choke and had someone apply it to me just so I knew what it felt like.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Pain and bruises.

Nah, it depends on what kind of a class it is and on the gym I guess. Is it a beginners class of some sort? Usually people show up to those in whatever workout wear they happen to have and then get a gi later. You can expect to do some warmup exercises: running, basic gymnastics like forward rolls, backwards rolls and such and some more grappling related exercises like shrimping. If it is a beginners class you'll probably do some ukemi or "ways to fall" where you learn to take a fall without hurting yourself. You'll probably partner up at some point and learn some basic techniques and practice them with your partner.

Edit: None of the white stuff on your finger/toenails. It's really surprisingly easy to bruise them.

General Emergency fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Oct 6, 2014

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Also you may get mat burn (essentially rug burn) on your feet or wherever, but after a couple of weeks of training your skin will toughen up and it'll stop.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Expect to suck. It will be fun though.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Guy i was working with tonight, kept telling me to use more spirit. “MORE SPIRIT!“ No bother.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

ICHIBAHN posted:

Guy i was working with tonight, kept telling me to use more spirit. “MORE SPIRIT!“ No bother.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teen_Spirit_%28deodorant%29

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
My instructor gave us a homework assignment: watch a BJJ match.

Recommendations?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Jake Soo posted:

My instructor gave us a homework assignment: watch a BJJ match.

Recommendations?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS9vdoX3Ju0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Haha what's the story behind that?