Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Clicks and whistles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm very gratified to have so many fellowposters concerned for my mental well-being. However I doubt anyone has the fortissitude to challenge my theses on the Chinese.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

JaucheCharly posted:

Very enjoyable to read. Why is one of those vagina themed insults "little younger sister"?

It looks like it's just a female version of a more appropriate male insult (i.e., "heh you have a tiny dick").

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

So is it like physically dangerous to be a Japanese person in China or something? Best I can tell the PRC government is a few steps short of actively organizing lynchmobs as part of the nationalism playbook

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

computer parts posted:

It looks like it's just a female version of a more appropriate male insult (i.e., "heh you have a tiny dick").

I've seen that video with Chyna.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

icantfindaname posted:

So is it like physically dangerous to be a Japanese person in China or something? Best I can tell the PRC government is a few steps short of actively organizing lynchmobs as part of the nationalism playbook

Probably no more so than being Muslim in the US (when you weight for the rural-urban percentages).

Hell, maybe not even that - my girlfriend studies Japanese and she's from Shandong, the territory controlled by the Japanese for two decades before the second Sino-Japanese war and she doesn't get poo poo from it.

(though if she was dating a Japanese dude, maybe you'd hear more about it)

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

computer parts posted:

How is having a tiny vag an insult? I would actually be quite the fan.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

drilldo squirt posted:

How is having a tiny vag an insult? I would actually be quite the fan.

I think it's like "you have the female version of [a bad thing], which is equally as bad as having a tiny dick for guys".

I'm not majoring in Chinese so I couldn't tell you for sure.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
It's not calling the vagina small, it's just: xiǎomèimei (Chinese: 小妹妹) = pussy (lit. "little younger sister", see. xiaodidi above)

It's literally referring to a "younger sister" not a "little sister", and it just means that a vagina is smaller than a full-size person, so therefore it's your "little sister"

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

systran posted:

It's not calling the vagina small, it's just: xiǎomèimei (Chinese: 小妹妹) = pussy (lit. "little younger sister", see. xiaodidi above)

It's literally referring to a "younger sister" not a "little sister", and it just means that a vagina is smaller than a full-size person, so therefore it's your "little sister"

Ahh, okay, I didn't see that it wasn't insults specifically, just profanity.

Also this is the best one:

quote:

háng kōng mǔ jiàn (simplified Chinese: 航空母舰; traditional Chinese: 航空母艦) - literally "aircraft carrier", referring to a flat chest. Compare with 战舰 (zhàn jiàn), meaning battleship, which refers to larger-sized "chimneys" of the chest.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
chuīniú bī (Chinese: 吹牛逼) = lit. inflating (blowing air into) a cow's vagina. Used to address bragging activities.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

computer parts posted:

Is it a coincidence that the aircraft carrier has made the battleship obsolete in the modern world?

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

computer parts posted:

Bitch you so flat that jet planes can land and take off on you.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

systran posted:

I mix up 小秘秘 and 小妹. :(

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
poo poo is going down in Hong Kong again. And good news! There's violence this time! And they arrested the leader of the student movement on three as yet unspecified charges! Students tried to take back the civic square in front of government headquarters that was closed to the public after a bunch of angry villagers stormed through it to the gov building earlier this summer. Police rebuffed and arrested them in riot gear. Now students are hella pissed and want Benny Tai to launch the civil disobedience occupy thingy immediately, but he's pussying out and wants to hold it on a public holiday when it won't get in the way and won't actually be disobeying anything because the police are going to close off some roadways for the holiday anyway.

We'll see if the angry students actually cause any more mayhem. I for one hope so!

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Bloodnose posted:

poo poo is going down in Hong Kong again. And good news! There's violence this time! And they arrested the leader of the student movement on three as yet unspecified charges! Students tried to take back the civic square in front of government headquarters that was closed to the public after a bunch of angry villagers stormed through it to the gov building earlier this summer. Police rebuffed and arrested them in riot gear. Now students are hella pissed and want Benny Tai to launch the civil disobedience occupy thingy immediately, but he's pussying out and wants to hold it on a public holiday when it won't get in the way and won't actually be disobeying anything because the police are going to close off some roadways for the holiday anyway.

We'll see if the angry students actually cause any more mayhem. I for one hope so!

:allears: I'm of the opinion that PRC knows how to de-escalate tensions as well as the police in Ferguson. Should I have cause to modify this opinion?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

My Imaginary GF posted:

:allears: I'm of the opinion that PRC knows how to de-escalate tensions as well as the police in Ferguson. Should I have cause to modify this opinion?

No. PRC is good at making things like this worse.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

No. PRC is good at making things like this worse.

PRC makes everything worse.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Chickenwalker posted:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Chickenwalker posted:

Not really.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
PRC can't make corruption worse in the PRC, 's like making water extra-wet.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Corruption in China is only middle of the road. It's in the top half of least corrupt countries in the world.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
PRC can be a dump but you guys make it sound like it's worst than Somalia or something. Granted the air is much nicer.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

China is one of the lesser corrupt countries in all of Asia, and it's less corrupt than most countries in Africa and South/Central America as well.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

PRC lol amirite?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

fart simpson posted:

China is one of the lesser corrupt countries in all of Asia, and it's less corrupt than most countries in Africa and South/Central America as well.

It's a lot more democratic than Turkmenistan too!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Arglebargle III posted:

It's a lot more democratic than Turkmenistan too!

Yeah I guess you're right. Reality doesn't matter, and the PRC literally could not be more corrupt.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Assuming China does reform, it's probably going to go along similar lines as the US during the Gilded Age.

In other words, once a President gets shot by a guy wanting patronage you'll clear out most of the corruption.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
If China had become religious they could have changed governments without five turns of anarchy

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

fart simpson posted:

Yeah I guess you're right. Reality doesn't matter, and the PRC literally could not be more corrupt.

:spergin: x 100

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Haha! I get it. I have Asperger syndrome because I won't go along with the crowd here and say China is on the top 10 worst countries list and instead say China's a pretty unexceptional country except for the amount of people it has. :newlol:

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
So, when will the tanks roll in?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

fart simpson posted:

Haha! I get it. I have Asperger syndrome because I won't go along with the crowd here and say China is on the top 10 worst countries list and instead say China's a pretty unexceptional country except for the amount of people it has. :newlol:

actually i think, maybe, the problem is you have no sense of humor

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I just passed by the student protesters in the afternoon. They held up the main roads and are ramping up the protests because the government administration building got closed off and the Chief Executive refused to accept the Student Associations letter plea.

There's sirens going off near my home and contingents of police officers on standby. From what I heard on the radio, tear gas was used to disperse the illegal student crowds because they refused to apply for a protest permit. I'm a bit surprised, it's been a while since tear gas was used in HK. Heck even the Korean farmers weren't treated this bad during the WTO conference in HK years ago.

I'm going down there now and take some photos.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
http://occupycentral.appledaily.com/ live stream here

http://www.reddit.com/live/tnc30xhiiqom - reddit's live feed

Zohar fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Sep 28, 2014

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Everyone is gathering around Admiralty. Queen's road central to mid levels is completely blocked. Cops are more focused on backing up buses and traffic

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Bloodnose posted:

They've also threatened to shoot protesters and the liberation army might be moving in according to my friends and relos living there if the police can't resolve it peacefully and the financial industry can't return to work as normal tomorrow.

Shits pretty crazy.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

Kegslayer posted:

They've also threatened to shoot protesters and the liberation army might be moving in according to my friends and relos living there if the police can't resolve it peacefully and the financial industry can't return to work as normal tomorrow.

Shits pretty crazy.

A friend of mine who knows Li Ka-shing told me an hour or so ago that he heard pretty much the same thing from him.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
I'm getting worried because all my predictions have come true. I just hope PLA involvement doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Zohar posted:

A friend of mine who knows Li Ka-shing told me an hour or so ago that he heard pretty much the same thing from him.

I guess everybody in the know must be all Jockey Club buddies.

I seriously have no idea how the police are going to be able to get the protesters to peacefully disband by tonight without escalating the situation further even though it looks like they've kicked most people out of Legco.