Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Goku is, like, a million times cooler than Gohan you lunatics!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Kild posted:

Why couldn't he have absorbed Kami?

Kami was a lot stronger than King Piccolo. I've heard people theorize about why this is. It could be because the "good" part of the Nameless Namekian was stronger than his "evil" part. Or maybe it's simply because King Piccolo was imprisoned for a long, long time while Kami was free to grow stronger.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Being up above the cloud layer allowed Kami to photosynthesize more effectively.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Kami was a lot stronger than King Piccolo. I've heard people theorize about why this is. It could be because the "good" part of the Nameless Namekian was stronger than his "evil" part. Or maybe it's simply because King Piccolo was imprisoned for a long, long time while Kami was free to grow stronger.

Then why'd he let Piccolo gently caress poo poo up?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Wasn't there a plot point once that Piccolo and Kami share pain because they are halves of the same original? Ergo Kami and King Piccolo duking it out would end badly and the world would be without its Dragon Balls?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Kild posted:

Then why'd he let Piccolo gently caress poo poo up?

What was he supposed to do? Kill Piccolo? That would kill him too and leave Earth without a god/guardian.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

What was he supposed to do? Kill Piccolo? That would kill him too and leave Earth without a god/guardian.

Put him in a newer rice cooker? what did his apathy do? He still would've died had Piccolo not reincarnated himself.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Kild posted:

Put him in a newer rice cooker? what did his apathy do? He still would've died had Piccolo not reincarnated himself.

Well, the Mafuba does kill the users, doesn't it?

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
He did try it at the end of Dragonball.

Kami seems to have had a non-interference policy with Earth. Even when it was his fault, in the case of Piccolo Daimao and basically any destructive wish by the dragon balls. I assume training Goku changed his mind (he tried to pass the job off to him) and that resulted in his participation in the last DB tournament.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

dipwood posted:

He did try it at the end of Dragonball.

Kami seems to have had a non-interference policy with Earth. Even when it was his fault, in the case of Piccolo Daimao and basically any destructive wish by the dragon balls. I assume training Goku changed his mind (he tried to pass the job off to him) and that resulted in his participation in the last DB tournament.

I love that Kami wanted Goku to take his job.

What a terrifying place the world would be.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
It's not like Kami really did much anyways. Goku would probably just go "okay I'm God now", fly off, and everything proceeds as normal.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

BlitzBlast posted:

It's not like Kami really did much anyways. Goku would probably just go "okay I'm God now", fly off, and everything proceeds as normal.

I always assumed that Kami did poo poo off-screen, like file reports or something.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

I blame the bowl cut he got from Chichi for this being an opinion anyone has.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Look how wrong this scrub is.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
12 year old me, who went from DB to DBZ, hated Gohan, because he took focus away from Goku. Today's me isn't too hot on him either, since I found him to an incredible whiny character, save for the Great Saiyaman/Highschool arc, which is easily my favorite in the entire series.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I also wasn't a huge fan of Gohan.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
If Goku's so much cooler than Gohan then why doesn't he have a cute girlfriend?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Goku got a fiance by groping Chi-Chi's crotch. Gohan can't top that.

Seriously though, Cell Saga Gohan > Kid Goku >>>>> Adult Goku/other versions of Gohan.

Kid Goku was a fantastic protagonist but something horrible happened come "Z". I don't know what. Maybe his releasing a genocidal madman because he wants to fight them again, even after said madman had killed his friends and tried to blow up his planet.

Idiot Heroes don't work in serious fiction. Dragonball was such a gag series that Goku being dumb was believable. But, as an adult, in the DARKER AND GRIMMER DBZ, Goku continuing to be a moron was just frustrating.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
i for one love that goku

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

NikkolasKing posted:

Seriously though, Cell Saga Gohan > Kid Goku >>>>> Adult Goku/other versions of Gohan.

Kid Goku was a fantastic protagonist but something horrible happened come "Z". I don't know what. Maybe his releasing a genocidal madman because he wants to fight them again, even after said madman had killed his friends and tried to blow up his planet.

Idiot Heroes don't work in serious fiction. Dragonball was such a gag series that Goku being dumb was believable. But, as an adult, in the DARKER AND GRIMMER DBZ, Goku continuing to be a moron was just frustrating.

Noted serious fiction Dragonball Z.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

yes that dark and grim series where they fight dancing aliens. Also, when the heroes fight a big pink monster made of playdough. The pink monsters turns the heroes into candy, yet the monster still gets beat up said candy. that poo poo was dark.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Yeah this was kind of dumb considering Goku was ready to murder Tambourine for killing Krillin in the original series, but Vegeta gets a free pass even though he's responsible for the deaths of Chaozu, Yamcha, Tenshinhan, and Piccolo.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Monaghan posted:

yes that dark and grim series where they fight dancing aliens. Also, when the heroes fight a big pink monster made of playdough. The pink monsters turns the heroes into candy, yet the monster still gets beat up said candy. that poo poo was dark.

The Majin Buu Saga is so popular with people because it was "a return to form" so to speak. The Cell Saga was almost entirely humorless, and felt more like a horror story in the beginning stages with the Androids and, at least in the anime, it ent into full-on horror mode when Cell showed up. I'll always remember the scene of him chasing that lady and her...daughter or sister or something. he even had the Jason/Michael thing of only walking at the running, terrified women yet always catching up with them.

And of course the Frieza Saga was all about the genocide of the Namekians while our heroes pissed themselves, unable to do anything about the psychopathic alien doing it all. And as for the dancing aliens, I didn't realize I was supposed to laugh when Gohan got his neck broken. You know, the 4-year-old child.

AshB posted:

Yeah this was kind of dumb considering Goku was ready to murder Tambourine for killing Krillin in the original series, but Vegeta gets a free pass even though he's responsible for the deaths of Chaozu, Yamcha, Tenshinhan, and Piccolo.

Exactly. I believe firmly that Adult Goku's heart would pop like a hot potato in a fire if he was hit by the Devilmite Beam. He isn't "pure of heart" any longer.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Did I just hear someone talking poo poo about goku

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Soulcleaver posted:

Did I just hear someone talking poo poo about goku

Goku basically lost to Raditz.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Exactly. I believe firmly that Adult Goku's heart would pop like a hot potato in a fire if he was hit by the Devilmite Beam. He isn't "pure of heart" any longer.

Yes he is, he can use the Spirit Bomb.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Ah, glad i didn't hallucinate this detail:

quote:

In the movie Dragon Ball Z: Super Android 13!, Krillin says that Goku cannot gather the energy while in his Super Saiyan state. This is because the Super Saiyan transformation is inherently malicious and taints the heart and soul.

Pinch of salt of course, it is the wiki. :v: Weird 'tho, I've never seen that movie. Guess its just one of the details that's apparent in DBZ but never outright stated.

The Kenster
Jun 21, 2013

First of all, that Clocktown could really use a floating celestial object of doom... With a face!

AshB posted:

But Tambourine didn't have the promise of a sweet rematch.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Thyrork posted:

Pinch of salt of course, it is the wiki. :v: Weird 'tho, I've never seen that movie. Guess its just one of the details that's apparent in DBZ but never outright stated.

It's shown at the end too, where Goku makes a spirit bomb in regular form but turns into Super to push it.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Thyrork posted:

Ah, glad i didn't hallucinate this detail:

Yeah, that's another detail they basically dropped. Goku's first transformation was pretty awesome and he noticeable changes his personality. Kinda sad it never came up again.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Yes he is, he can use the Spirit Bomb.

I don't think the various "purity of heart" requirements in Dragon Ball all measure exactly the same thing. For example, Vegeta can use Super Saiyan, which requires righteous anger or something like that, but it would be very odd if Vegeta could survive the Devilmite Beam, which explicit requires you to be completely free from evil motivations.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Talk poo poo about Goku in DBZ all you want, but his arrival on Namek and quick disposal of the Ginyu Force is about my favorite part of the series.

Then he gets knocked out of commission again in like 10 episodes.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

facebook jihad posted:

Talk poo poo about Goku in DBZ all you want, but his arrival on Namek and quick disposal of the Ginyu Force is about my favorite part of the series.

Captain Ginyu was total bullshit, I can't believe he almost got Vegeta twice with his stupid body change.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

facebook jihad posted:

My favorite are him showing of his raw power. The first transformation into a Super Sayajin, showing off after making SS his base state and when he transforms into SS3 the first time. The whole program, with yelling, earth shaking and his friends watching in awe.

Hell, my rational, older part absolutely thinks that SS3 looks dumb as hell, but the emotional 12 year old part still thinks its the coolest loving thing ever!

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Anyone else notice Krillian screaming in outrage at the newest DBM comic, or have i watched too much abridged? :haw:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Prince Vegeta might survive this yet. That wound doesn't look quite as bad as it did at first.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

it's not saying a lot really.

Flippinlikebirds
Feb 2, 2007
I'm an ideas man Michael. I think I proved that with Fuck Mountain.

AshB posted:

At that point Goku had died himself. He had seen that the afterlife was not that bad and he had come back to life. I could see it being hard to care about people dying after that. He still later get's pretty upset about Krillin's death on Namek though. Maybe Goku only likes Krillin.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Flippinlikebirds posted:

At that point Goku had died himself. He had seen that the afterlife was not that bad and he had come back to life. I could see it being hard to care about people dying after that. He still later get's pretty upset about Krillin's death on Namek though. Maybe Goku only likes Krillin.

At that point as far as Goku knew Piccolo was more or less going to die and the Dragon Balls were about to be gone for good.

Krillin's death at that time was the closest death gets in this series to being very real and final.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Flippinlikebirds posted:

Uh, Goku's first death wasn't until Raditz showed up at the beginning of DBZ. Krillin's death in Dragonball was the first death period.

• Locked thread