Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The Earth's Mightiest Heroes theme is the 616 Avengers ring tone now

You don't hear the Justice League theme playing on Superman's phone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Hazo posted:

Yeah they're goofy, but that was the style for the time. All of the post-BTAS music was done by Kris Carter, Michael McCuiston, and Lolita Ritmanis, all of whom studied under Shirley Walker and continued her musical style after her death in 2006. I think the actual JL theme was done by Ritmanis, but that crew also did the scoring work for Superman, Zeta Project, Teen Titans, Legion of Superheroes, and JLU.
Walker wrote both of these. That first one is a fan remake, though.

edit: JLU has some great tracks too, most of which were included as downloadable mp3s in the DVDs. "Let's Go to Work" and "To the Beginning of Time" are loving awesome
The ones that are good are still disappointing to listen to because they would clearly be superior with an orchestra.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Was Shirley walker still working with them for JL/U?

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Blockhouse posted:

The Earth's Mightiest Heroes theme is the 616 Avengers ring tone now

You don't hear the Justice League theme playing on Superman's phone!

Where did this make an appearance? I'm morbidly curious.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

First Bass posted:

Where did this make an appearance? I'm morbidly curious.

I think it was the last or second to last issue of Avengers Assemble.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

I think it was the last or second to last issue of Avengers Assemble.

Please tell me it was Iron Man's ringtone. I completely buy that Stark would not only set it as such, but would hire a band to write an Avengers theme song just so he could do so.

I also loved the aspect of the EMH opening that the line up at the end was always the current 'official' Avengers team for that episode.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It was actually Captain America's.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Checked via the magic of Marvel Unlimited: It's actually Spider-Girl's (that was sent to her by Cap, with a pretty hilarious text).

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Hahaha, Adult Swim/Toonami is killing off Beware the Batman this Saturday by burning through the rest of the unaired episodes all in a row from 2:30 to 6 AM. I've never seen a network more eager to kill a show.

e X posted:

Was Shirley walker still working with them for JL/U?
No I don't believe so. The last stuff she did for them was Zeta and Batman Beyond.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Hazo posted:

Hahaha, Adult Swim/Toonami is killing off Beware the Batman this Saturday by burning through the rest of the unaired episodes all in a row from 2:30 to 6 AM. I've never seen a network more eager to kill a show.
Well I think Nickelodeon is making a strong case with Legend of Korra right now

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
e: ^Possibly, we need the numbers though, digital releases might actually be doing better favors than selling an action show on cable tv to the cable-cutter generation.

http://toonami.tumblr.com/post/98164760488/good-news-bad-news-batman-fans

So, this is by far the most unsuccessful Batman show ever, right?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hazo posted:

Actually, I'd say the fact that they're actually airing the rest of the episodes and not just dropping it from the schedule says the opposite.

From the way they've talked about various DC shows it seems like they don't have the best of relationships with those people. Like, they've said they would air things like JL/U but all that WBA would give them was Beware the Batman.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Hazo posted:

No I don't believe so. The last stuff she did for them was Zeta and Batman Beyond.

It's ether that or not air them at all because they are losing the rights. It's kind of amazing cartoon network murdered the show after its eleventh episode. They never aired it until Toonami and now Toonami can only just finish it by showing all of the remaining episodes.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

muscles like this? posted:

Actually, I'd say the fact that they're actually airing the rest of the episodes and not just dropping it from the schedule says the opposite.

From the way they've talked about various DC shows it seems like they don't have the best of relationships with those people. Like, they've said they would air things like JL/U but all that WBA would give them was Beware the Batman.
Eh, I'd agree if the episodes had aired before and they're airing them out of a sense of thoroughness, but as it stands it seems more like they're simply dumping them all at once because otherwise nobody would ever see them.

gently caress, not Titan too :negative:

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

I'd rather have a Titan burnoff than a BtB burnoff :(

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
I think you mean

RevKrule posted:

I'd rather have a Titan revival than a BtB revival :(

Galaluna will never be free :negative:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

MonsterEnvy posted:

It's kind of amazing cartoon network murdered the show after its eleventh episode.

Is it kind of amazing? Is it really? Did you watch BtB? I'd sure murder it, were I running a TV network.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TwoPair posted:

Is it kind of amazing? Is it really? Did you watch BtB? I'd sure murder it, were I running a TV network.

I liked it most people did not even try to give it a chance. It was not a masterpiece or anything but it was not bad.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
BtB isn't that bad, but it is mediocre and ugly.

It's also kinda trying to be dark and gritty while still being "for kids" and that really doesn't work so well. I know the last Batman was Brave and the Bold so they felt they had to go opposite, but...

...wait does that mean the next Batman will be lighthearted again?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Batman, the Brave and The Bold is great, ebcause you can easily fin out who is a moron by asking if they thought that it was disrespectful to Batman as a character.

Senator Chuckles
Apr 28, 2013

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

So, this is by far the most unsuccessful Batman show ever, right?

Well, to give you an idea of that, I just saw a bunch of Brave and the Bold Batman costumes at Target and...none from the other show. Usually marketers try to move from version to version as quickly as possible, assuming that kids will get confused if they see both next to each other.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Hazo posted:

gently caress, not Titan too :negative:

Wait, Sym-bionic Titan!? Did that show already get canned? Did they just announce they're double-cancelling it?

Also good, I hope WB bothers to come up with something good next time.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

There's just nothing memorable about it. I can name every post-Conroy Batman VA except the dude that does Beware the Batman. Also having Alfred look like a thick Hitman seemed really off for me.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Fishylungs posted:

Wait, Sym-bionic Titan!? Did that show already get canned? Did they just announce they're double-cancelling it?

They're no longer going to be showing any re-runs, so essentially yeah. Final nail in the coffin.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Fishylungs posted:

Having "titan" in the title must be a curse. Adult Swim canceled Titan Maximum after one season.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Cardboard Box A posted:

BtB isn't that bad, but it is mediocre and ugly.

It's also kinda trying to be dark and gritty while still being "for kids" and that really doesn't work so well. I know the last Batman was Brave and the Bold so they felt they had to go opposite, but...

...wait does that mean the next Batman will be lighthearted again?

Beware the Batman genuinely tried new things with the Batman formula. It made Batman less of an invulnerable combat God to play up his detective skills. It made his relationships to other characters more important to make him less of a loaner. And it focused on the lesser known Batman rogues. Say what you want about the series, but an attempt at being original was made with this.
It deserves props for that.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

The Question IRL posted:

Beware the Batman genuinely tried new things with the Batman formula. It made Batman less of an invulnerable combat God to play up his detective skills. It made his relationships to other characters more important to make him less of a loaner. And it focused on the lesser known Batman rogues. Say what you want about the series, but an attempt at being original was made with this.

Oh it deserves mad props, I honestly wish a show featuring C-list villains rather than just doing Joker again would succeed, but it was just aggressively mediocre.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

The Question IRL posted:

I'm no authority since I only ended up seeing one episode (due to being in the panel at comic con because I wanted to be on the panel after it) with the egg guy, but to me what all that amounted to was Batman struggling with some strange freakazoid while the rest of the cast dealt with the actual plot which was some lame magic sword that belongs to Rah's.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

TwoPair posted:

Oh it deserves mad props, I honestly wish a show featuring C-list villains rather than just doing Joker again would succeed, but it was just aggressively mediocre.
It was aggressively UGLY.

Like, in a way that made GL's N64 CGI look good.
Like, in a way that made peanut-headed The Batman look like a solid design choice.

They followed up Brave and the Bold's great design with garbage. They were given BTAS riddler and delivered Gotham Knights' EmoRiddler with a side of The Batman's Marilyn Manson Riddler.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

TwoPair posted:

Great in theory, but the execution was terrible. They used Professor Pyg, a guy who's gimmick in the comics is mutaliting people's faces and genitals, and made Magpie into a white haired Catwoman clone.

Brave and the Bold used a lot of C-listers better, that show was good about holding off on more familiar aspects like Joker and Superman.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, while BtB used obscure villains they didn't use them well. They really didn't do anything well, the show was just completely boring.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Yeah, while BtB used obscure villains they didn't use them well. They really didn't do anything well, the show was just completely boring.

As a counter examples Sportsmaster on Young Justice. Kind of a non sequitur, but the way this show used obscure villains was stellar.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

WickedHate posted:

Great in theory, but the execution was terrible. They used Professor Pyg, a guy who's gimmick in the comics is mutaliting people's faces and genitals, and made Magpie into a white haired Catwoman clone.

More than a few of the episodes, you could just tell the scripts were from people who'd been sitting on their own personal ideas for great Joker/Two-Face/Catwoman/etc. stories - and then having to spend one angry evening going back and replacing every instance of one name with another so it'd fit the show.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The 'we'll use the totally unknown villains!' gimmick probably sounded great in pitches to WB and DC Entertainment, but then you run into the problem that... no-one wants to animate or write Magpie or Mr Toad. No-one grows up thinking they have one great KGBeast story in them. (OK, except Chris Sims.)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

The 'we'll use the totally unknown villains!' gimmick probably sounded great in pitches to WB and DC Entertainment, but then you run into the problem that... no-one wants to animate or write Magpie or Mr Toad. No-one grows up thinking they have one great KGBeast story in them. (OK, except Chris Sims.)

There was also the conceit that it was supposed to be a younger Batman that was just starting out but like the obscure villain thing it never really panned out. For "just starting out" he had already had everything that made him Batman.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Having "titan" in the title must be a curse. Adult Swim canceled Titan Maximum after one season.

At least Teen Titans Go is curse free. Thank you, Based God.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
Not to mention that Toonami's flagship show is Attack on Titan.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Solaris Knight posted:

Not to mention that Toonami's flagship show is Attack on Titan.

I was going to argue against this, but Space Dandy ended ten minutes ago, so I guess you're right. :smith:

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Never thought I'd say this, but those last five or six episodes (around when Deathstroke showed up) of Beware the Batman got darn near watchable. Not enough to continue, but still an enjoyable couple hours of TV. Proving once again that Batman is way more interesting when he's surrounded by people other than Batman. If any media groups bother to review these final episodes I'll be interested in what they have to say.

And interestingly, yes, PKM-ζ is an actual enzyme that affects long-term memory and it's really weird that they brought it in as a pseudo-deus-ex-machina.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

So I just finished watching Beats The Bat and yeah it was starting to get promising, I think there was a lot of promise in the show to start with but with the introduction of Death Stroke and the birth of Two Face it had places to go. Though I did not like their interpretation of Harvey Dent.

It's a shame to lose Symbiotic Titan, I thought the show was pretty drat good. Same thing with that Thunder Cats remake.

On the other end of the spectrum from Adult Swim, Steven Universe continues to impress me with how they're able to balance a sense of light hearted whimsy and a serious tone like Steven dealing with the emotions of never knowing his mother but all of the Gems talking great things about her.

• Locked thread