Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jim Rustler
May 16, 2014

by Ralp
Is anyone else having problems with the Kinect not recognizing you or incorrectly recognizing you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Soonmot posted:

I realize that it's there because the lights would destroy battery life, but no way do I go back to wired controllers no matter how many pretty lights they put on it.
...why? There's literally no reason to have a wireless controller over a wired. Unless you keep putting them on top of the console after you're done there's no real way of keeping track of where they are, and running out of batteries is never fun.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Great Joe posted:

...why? There's literally no reason to have a wireless controller over a wired. Unless you keep putting them on top of the console after you're done there's no real way of keeping track of where they are, and running out of batteries is never fun.

how big of a baffoon do you have to be to lose a controller every time you stop playing if it isn't tethered to the console

Here, let me just go ahead and show how dumb this is

Great Joe posted:

...why? There's literally no reason to have a wireless TV remote over a wired. Unless you keep putting them on top of the TV after you're done there's no real way of keeping track of where they are, and running out of batteries is never fun.

E: wait, I've got it

Great Joe posted:

...why? There's literally no reason to have a wireless phone over a wired. Unless you keep putting them on top of the receiver after you're done there's no real way of keeping track of where they are, and running out of batteries is never fun.

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Sep 27, 2014

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Great Joe posted:

Congratulations on never having had a pet or small child knock a console over due to getting caught on the controller cord. And I simply put my controllers back in their charging cradle so I always know where they are and are always ready for a full round of gaming.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
I keep my wiimote safely strapped to my wrist day and night

Bass Bottles fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Sep 27, 2014

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

univbee posted:

Congratulations on never having had a pet or small child knock a console over due to getting caught on the controller cord. And I simply put my controllers back in their charging cradle so I always know where they are and are always ready for a full round of gaming.

How would a gamer have a child?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

koolkal posted:

How would a gamer have a child?

:ssh: I never said their child.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
^ ^ ^
Edit: Come on, like a gamer would be able to control their hygiene enough to charm a kid into their windowless van?

Yeah, such a strange defense of wired controllers. Battery issues are sporadic at best (hours or days before they crop up, less so if you fall into a rhythm of charging after sessions) but they don't begin to compare to the wrangling of cords around things or the threat of dragging a spinning bluray drive to the floor. Plus all the controllers can become wired controllers by way of a longer USB cable you can buy for $3 on Amazon.

I drag out my PS2 when kids come by and get an instant reminder of the wired controller days. Not worth it.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

thats a nice lookin game but im skeptical it will look this nice if blown up past 640x360

that's driveclub

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Jim Rustler posted:

Is anyone else having problems with the Kinect not recognizing you or incorrectly recognizing you?

Jim Rustler

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I'm blaming the retards here for turning the report shaming thread into a really dumb and bad chat thread

Voyaging
Sep 5, 2014

Great Joe posted:

THERE'S NO WIRE i.e. you can sit as far away as you want and not worry about the cord length or be annoyed by it resting on you etc etc.

Do you really lack the imagination to see the benefits of a wireless controller?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Nothing makes me more ornery than controller cables touching me

Jim Rustler
May 16, 2014

by Ralp
The reason I'm asking is because it keeps logging me in as my wife, and it's driving me crazy. I've already filed for divorce, but in the interim I'm wondering if anybody has any ideas on how to fix it. Thanks.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Jim Rustler posted:

The reason I'm asking is because it keeps logging me in as my wife, and it's driving me crazy. I've already filed for divorce, but in the interim I'm wondering if anybody has any ideas on how to fix it. Thanks.

please save this man's marriage xbox owners

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

Jim Rustler posted:

At least you know you pass

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Jim Rustler posted:

Would it at least make you feel better if you're not the only one who is having the problem?

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

It was the 360 version she wanted. Also, I have in stock three Xbox One's with Kinect that arrived in store on the 8th of January and not sold. The oldest PS4 I have is a Watch_Dogs one we had when the Last Of Us bundles started arriving.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums

Jim Rustler posted:

It's a bit slow for me sometimes, but I've never been logged in as someone else. Have you used the "I wasn’t recognized" button when signing in? Might also be worth resetting your Kinect sign in data (first link near the bottom)

http://support.xbox.com/en-AU/xbox-one/kinect/troubleshoot-kinect-sign-in
http://support.xbox.com/en-AU/xbox-one/kinect/setup-kinect-sign-in

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Has anyone else had their joystick break off some little piece (sounds like a screw honestly) inside and then ride rough after? Especially when you click down on it, it's not smooth.

This has happened to me three times in the matter of days. I had to ship out the first one and buy a second controller (that I do not need) and the second one did it after two days. Now the third controller that I got after returning the second one to the store just did it as well.

The 360 controllers never had this problem for me. I am trying to get a tally of anyone else who has had this happen to their joystick on the One controllers.

The worst part is having to ship out a faulty product like this expecting to have it happen again. They made me pay shipping, wasted my time from the web chat lady lying and say Fedex would have a label ready for me for free, and the first time they called they told me they'd ship out a new one free without me needing to send the old one in.

They ended up offering me 2 months of Xbox Live to compensate shipping cost. I can't believe how bad their customer service is on a product that is clearly defective. I've heard several people say they had the issue as well.

I had the first controller for 17 days, I know this because Best Buy won't return after 14. That's why I had to send it back. Controller had maybe 25-30 hours tops in those days.

The second controller probably had 10 or less before it broke. I don't feel like I am that hard with it, I get into playing FIFA and it can get intense with movement of the joystick, but again, never had a problem with 360. Now the third one was probably 6-8 hours tops.

What the gently caress???

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Microsoft has had lovely build quality in their controllers for a while now. The 360 ones were basically on a timer as to when they would develop stick drift.

I've used several Xbone controllers and one would move your Titanfall dude eeeeever so slightly to the left when walking forward (like, 5 degrees but noticeable), one drops A inputs every so often and the shell creaks, and the third is a Titanfall-flavored one that works perfectly but it needed to be cracked open to push a wire into the shell that had been poking out (that is now mashed from when I was trying to figure out what the hell it was, it had gotten looped through two plastic prongs that holds the shell together).

Never seen a stick pop off though.

I would go ":lol: M$ sucks at making controllers, Sony owns," but my DS4's left stick looks as though the rubber is finally gonna start flaking off like people have been complaining about. At least Nintendo still makes solid controllers, I guess.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
It doesn't break off, just a piece inside clearly breaks off. I think it happens from pressing down on it a bit while you play and move the joystick.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

yeah my original 360 pads have drift and don't register every button press every time. made dark souls 2 lots of fun but gently caress buying new pads for one last game on a system.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
I never had an issue with 360, but with years and years of use those issues are acceptable.

I've went through three controllers in like 20 days of owning an Xbox One, that's hosed up.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

So D4 has sold less than 10,000 copies, which isn't terribly encouraging for other developers wanting to make download-only titles for the Xbox One.

quote:

Q. What constitutes “selling like poo poo”?
A. According to the leaderboards, as of this very moment less than 10,000 people have bought and played this game worldwide.

Q. Whoa, that is bad. So why is the game selling so badly?
A. It was basically sent to die. It was unceremoniously dumped on the Xbox One’s store without a release date announced in advance. D4 has received essentially no marketing whatsoever. This leads me to believe that the publisher, Microsoft, lost faith in the product and told the team to halt production and just release whatever was finished. Sadly, this game will live or die on word-of-mouth alone. The game’s director, Swery, has stated that his team is not actively working on further episodes at this time and that the sales of Season One will determine if they are allowed to continue the story. Naturally, this episodic story ends on a cliffhanger.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

univbee posted:

D4 has received essentially no marketing whatsoever

Yeah, I hadn't even heard of D4 until this moment, which is pretty impressive considering the bone's vast library of games.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
Team Meat have to be laughing at how badly Microsoft hosed Swery with that. Gets an E3 trailer in 2013 only to be unceremoniously dumped on the marketplace less than a year later. I want to play D4 so bad but I'm not buying a system for it.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Great Joe posted:

Wait, why would batteries matter? If you don't have one controller plugged in and recharging all the time, you can just plug in your current one while playing. What kind of controller are you using in TYOOL 2014 that uses batteries?

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Wait, why would batteries matter? If you don't have one controller plugged in and recharging all the time, you can just plug in your current one while playing. What kind of controller are you using in TYOOL 2014 that uses batteries?

The Xbox One controller, presumably. Or was that rhetorical? I can't tell anymore.

Bohemian Nights posted:

Yeah, I hadn't even heard of D4 until this moment, which is pretty impressive considering the bone's vast library of games.

This is seriously disheartening. D4 was legitimately the first "Next Gen" title I was even remotely interested in. :smith:
You've got to wonder what IP Microsoft will lose faith in and abandon next. Maybe that Platinum game? Their games don't sell that well either.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
Where is the other, better, Xbone thread? I was like 2000 posts behind but it was my daily reading thread and probably the best thread on the forums.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Where is the other, better, Xbone thread? I was like 2000 posts behind but it was my daily reading thread and probably the best thread on the forums.

Oh yeah, let me go post my question there then too.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

And More posted:

This is seriously disheartening. D4 was legitimately the first "Next Gen" title I was even remotely interested in. You've got to wonder what IP Microsoft will lose faith in and abandon next. Maybe that Platinum game? Their games don't sell that well either.

Sub-10,000 copies of a $15 game is disastrous. Assuming Microsoft generously gave them 100% of the profits (they didn't), that's $150k, which is less than half of Shovel Knight's development cost (and without factoring in paying for the NES-style music in that game, since the composer agreed to be paid after the game was released). Nobody's going to seriously want to participate in that sort of losing proposition in the future. I'd bet money that Entwined probably sold better.

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

It couldn't make it to 1080p(ages). :smith: (Kewpuh closed it on page 1079 and moved it to the mod forum)

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
The bone controller uses actual batteries? Hahahahaha

edit: Like, I'd have to go to loving Walgreens and buy some Duracells if my bone controller was out of juice? More like "Beta tested in 1993."

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

univbee posted:

Sub-10,000 copies of a $15 game is disastrous. Assuming Microsoft generously gave them 100% of the profits (they didn't), that's $150k, which is less than half of Shovel Knight's development cost (and without factoring in paying for the NES-style music in that game, since the composer agreed to be paid after the game was released). Nobody's going to seriously want to participate in that sort of losing proposition in the future. I'd bet money that Entwined probably sold better.

Well, they didn't advertise the loving thing at all. How am I supposed to actually buy a console for the game I want to play if it gets cancelled two days after I find out about it?

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

The bone controller uses actual batteries? Hahahahaha

edit: Like, I'd have to go to loving Walgreens and buy some Duracells if my bone controller was out of juice? More like "Beta tested in 1993."

Some people don't like to rely on built-in rechargable batteries for some reason. I don't get it either.

I dunno, man. My phat DS is still doing alright, and that thing is ancient.
vvvvv

And More fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Sep 28, 2014

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Rechargeable batteries go weak after like a year of regular use, so i'd rather be able to take them out to replace instead of $60 for a new controller.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

T Bowl posted:

Rechargeable batteries go weak after like a year of regular use, so i'd rather be able to take them out to replace instead of $60 for a new controller.

removeable rechageable is obviously best but ms even hosed that up last gen by making their battery recharge kit require separation from the controller to charge.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

And More posted:

Well, they didn't advertise the loving thing at all. How am I supposed to actually buy a console for the game I want to play if it gets cancelled two days after I find out about it?

You're not, so you should instead support a company that doesn't have a history of loving up that first thing.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Real hurthling! posted:

removeable rechageable is obviously best but ms even hosed that up last gen by making their battery recharge kit require separation from the controller to charge.

That's really dumb but I never buy those anyway... $8 for a 4 pack of recharable batteries at the store that you can just charge and swap out when needed vs $25 for the same loving thing.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Soul Glo posted:

At least Nintendo still makes solid controllers, I guess.

Is this a pun on how flimsy the Wii U Gamepad thing is?

Never had problems with my 360 or PS3 (or Bone) controllers, except that on both of the 360 controllers, which I bought separately more than a year apart, a little piece of plastic broke off the 6 o'clock area of the left joystick. My Bone controller probably has 80 hours of use in it now over the last 8 months so I guess it will last.

I thought lol MS @ for using AAs in 2014, but now that I have it I don't mind it (Stockholm Syndrome?). They should have tossed in some goddamn rechargeables and a recharger though and could've gained some good press vs. Sony for like $4 extra per console.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
...flimsy?

• Locked thread