Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I wonder how the movie will relate to the second season. I don't really have much faith in this as written and directed by a completely different team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
Both seasons have the same director, actually, just a different writing team. But Tow Ubakata is certainly no stranger to serious scifi, and his work is generally pretty interesting.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Great Rumbler posted:

Both seasons have the same director, actually, just a different writing team. But Tow Ubakata is certainly no stranger to serious scifi, and his work is generally pretty interesting.

Wikipedia only has Naoyoshi Shiotani as assistant director on the first season, or am I misreading the attribution?

Either way, I don't know the writer at all except for Chevalier D'Eon (which I never finished, though not due to any great flaw in the show) and Heroic Age (which I didn't watch because it so consistently panned for its writing.)

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Betting Kogami won't show up until the movie.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Great Rumbler posted:

What has he done before?

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

theCalamity posted:

What has he done before?

He did all of the Mardok Scramble movies.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Redcrimson posted:

And the original novels, which are just as grim (if not more) than Pscho-Pass.

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

Redcrimson posted:

And Ghost in the Shell: Arise.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

psyer posted:

And Ghost in the Shell: Arise.

Well, nobody's perfect.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
Arise's main problem is that topping Stand Alone Complex is an impossible task.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Great Rumbler posted:

Arise's main problem is that topping Stand Alone Complex is an impossible task.

I'm not sure how much more they can do with the world of GitS. The original, Innocence (to an extent) and SAC presented some very interesting stuff, and I'm not sure there's much left. I don't think its impossible, but it would have to be a pretty inspired concept to differentiate itself from what's already been done.

That said, Psycho-Pass is almost in the same place because it so heavily focused on Sybil the first season and there's not much else to work with. So unlike GitS, this second season has to be a mostly straight sequel featuring Sybil as its central focus.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

So hey how about that op

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

straight jerkers posted:

So hey how about that op

straight jerkers posted:

So hey how about that op

straight jerkers posted:

So hey how about that op

straight jerkers posted:

So hey how about that op

straight jerkers posted:

So hey how about that op

straight jerkers posted:

So hey how about that op

absolem
May 21, 2014

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 [is] immoral
insofar as it is coercive towards someone, yes

I am retarded and compassion is overrated.

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS

straight jerkers posted:

So hey how about that op

^^^^^

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010
Well, we are starting off with a bang. Exited to see what the show throws at us.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That was hugely boring, and doesn't do a good job of introducing any of the characters. Like, people talk about the first episode of the original series being bad, but at least it built up to something. I mean, the climax was kind of interesting and it sets up the idea of how Akane will do her job after what she figured out last season, but everything leading up to that was flat as hell.

It wasn't actually bad, and the after credits scene did wet my interest, but not enough to tune in on my own. I'll wait to see if anyone comes back with a positive trip report.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

The Devil Tesla posted:

That was hugely boring, and doesn't do a good job of introducing any of the characters. Like, people talk about the first episode of the original series being bad, but at least it built up to something. I mean, the climax was kind of interesting and it sets up the idea of how Akane will do her job after what she figured out last season, but everything leading up to that was flat as hell.

It wasn't actually bad, and the after credits scene did wet my interest, but not enough to tune in on my own. I'll wait to see if anyone comes back with a positive trip report.

IDK if it's CR's poor translation skills but I had no idea wtf the guy was talking about in the preview :v:

I always did wonder why Akane wore skirts as a part of her uniform whereas every other woman is wearing sensible pants...

Oh about the actual episode somewhat of a let down but at least we get to see them set up the board so to speak and how everyone stands wrt to Sibyl. Oh and our token HS student is here to join us on our crime fighting adventures.

Not sure I feel about the new catchphrase.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
CR isn't airing it.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

I enjoyed the first episode, if only because I forgot how much I love the setting. I also rewatched Season 1 a few weeks ago, and this episode seems pretty on par with the first episode in Season 1: slow set-up of characters and capabilities, while Akane does what she can to protect a latent criminal while working within the system. I can wait long enough for things to really ramp up.

(The OP and ED still suck by comparison to last season.) :japan:

Also, if you miss Urobuchi's influence on the series this season, he'll apparently be back to write the post-Season 2 movie script.

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014

Alder posted:

I always did wonder why Akane wore skirts as a part of her uniform whereas every other woman is wearing sensible pants...

She's the moe.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Just to check, the guy after the credits is the Enforcer who we thought got killed because he saw Sybil last season, right? Or am I misremembering and he's a random guy?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Just to check, the guy after the credits is the Enforcer who we thought got killed because he saw Sybil last season, right? Or am I misremembering and he's a random guy?

No it's a different dude. They don't even look alike.

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

Combed Thunderclap posted:

I enjoyed the first episode, if only because I forgot how much I love the setting. I also rewatched Season 1 a few weeks ago, and this episode seems pretty on par with the first episode in Season 1: slow set-up of characters and capabilities, while Akane does what she can to protect a latent criminal while working within the system. I can wait long enough for things to really ramp up.

(The OP and ED still suck by comparison to last season.) :japan:

Also, if you miss Urobuchi's influence on the series this season, he'll apparently be back to write the post-Season 2 movie script.

There is the new implication that that there are people outside the system that can't be identified. We don't know if they found a way out of the system or if they were never there at all.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Well, this was certainly more exciting than the first episode of the first series. The best thing for me was Ginoza not wearing glasses anymore, apparently he just wore them in the first series to seem more intelligent. Also it was nice to see how Akane has changed from when she started out as a inspector.

I didn't notice Urobuchis absence but I did notice that the plot of this episode was basically the same as the very first episode and that new villain reminds me a lot of Shogo.

Also, does anyone else think that the new black-haired enforcer is kind of suspicious? I'm mostly basing this from the OP where they show his face blending into the evil robot lady/hivemind from last season.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Dante Logos posted:

There is the new implication that that there are people outside the system that can't be identified. We don't know if they found a way out of the system or if they were never there at all.

I assumed that guy had some advanced holotech to disguise himself.

Also, just to clarify something for some people out there, two different parameter are used to determine if the force of Health and Public Safety will be bought down on you.

Emotional stress, which is measured by Hue, and can be detected by street scanners. The new Chekov's pill that was introduced this episode can reduce stress. Sibyl actively tries to reduce stress, because unchecked stress leads to an increased...

Psycho Pass. Measured by Crime Co-efficient, and this is what causes Sibyl to judge your incarceration or execution.

Feoffic
Feb 13, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

I assumed that guy had some advanced holotech to disguise himself.

Considering the closing lines, I think that he is getting setup as a counterpoint to Akane -- just naturally able to have a low CC-E, but does horrible things instead of good ones.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The Devil Tesla posted:

Could you elaborate more? I did not find a single minute of the episode slow and thought it was one of the strongest openers for a second season I've seen in a very long time.

I concede I might partly be just really glad to see Akane as a certified badass after all she's been put through.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I had high expectations for the first episode and was disappointed. All we know about Akane's subordinate inspector is she keeps parroting, "I disagree." and "You're wrong, Akane" and "Why are you doing such and such?"

No other character development.

Yeah. I thought that one enforcer looked like the one that died last season too, but they're different. No real introductions to anyone.

If Akane has any kind of hidden motivation for acting against "all common wisdom", we don't know what it is, so she just comes off acting odd instead of wise or knowledgeable. I guess I expected more out of her from having gained experience from last season. Ginoza seems to think Akane is on the ball but why does her partner think she's off, then?

Makes no sense to me. You'd think the whole team would be on the same page after 6 months together. If not, at least less whining by the side-kick inspector -- whom we don't really care about anyway since she's just a cranky stranger.

The show has already shown that Akane is sort of an odd-ball anyway because her Psycho Pass doesn't go up with lots of stress. The major bad guy from last season, M-something, was even more-so that way. Looks like they're introducing a new bad-guy with the same condition. I hope they do something with this thing. Like maybe there are more people like Akane out there. Some with good intentions and some with bad intentions. Maybe its a trend and Sybil is losing it's ability to judge people.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Blhue posted:

CR isn't airing it.

T-this is a Horrible subs original?! What other lies had I been told?! :question:

Phobophilia posted:

Also, just to clarify something for some people out there, two different parameter are used to determine if the force of Health and Public Safety will be bought down on you.

Emotional stress, which is measured by Hue, and can be detected by street scanners. The new Chekov's pill that was introduced this episode can reduce stress. Sibyl actively tries to reduce stress, because unchecked stress leads to an increased...

Psycho Pass. Measured by Crime Co-efficient, and this is what causes Sibyl to judge your incarceration or execution.

Thanks for the reminder, I forgot parts of P-P and wondering exactly what the new drug wrt to stress. Anyone find it weird Dominator is auto-set to Lethal Mode at Enforcers? Somehow this seemed like a good idea at the time by the inventors :geno:?

They did mention anti-stress pills in S1 and it's good to see it appear again in detail in S2 just for continuity's sake.

About P-P does it measure the possibility of a person's tendency to commit crimes based off their stress/history or how dangerous he/she is at the situation?

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom

Dan7el posted:

I had high expectations for the first episode and was disappointed. All we know about Akane's subordinate inspector is she keeps parroting, "I disagree." and "You're wrong, Akane" and "Why are you doing such and such?"

Mika has odd characterization considered what happened last season. She thinks very little of the enforcers in spite of Yayoi comforted her after her friend was killed.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Alder posted:

T-this is a Horrible subs original?! What other lies had I been told?! :question:

It's on funimation, they steal rip those subs too. :pirate:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Dan7el posted:

If Akane has any kind of hidden motivation for acting against "all common wisdom", we don't know what it is, so she just comes off acting odd instead of wise or knowledgeable. I guess I expected more out of her from having gained experience from last season. Ginoza seems to think Akane is on the ball but why does her partner think she's off, then?

Makes no sense to me. You'd think the whole team would be on the same page after 6 months together. If not, at least less whining by the side-kick inspector -- whom we don't really care about anyway since she's just a cranky stranger.

The show has already shown that Akane is sort of an odd-ball anyway because her Psycho Pass doesn't go up with lots of stress. The major bad guy from last season, M-something, was even more-so that way. Looks like they're introducing a new bad-guy with the same condition. I hope they do something with this thing. Like maybe there are more people like Akane out there. Some with good intentions and some with bad intentions. Maybe its a trend and Sybil is losing it's ability to judge people.

They already stated what her goal is at the end of season 1. She wants to get rid of Sibyl by changing society to become more virtuous in a Kantian sense. Virtue is having the will to fulfill one's moral duty regardless of challenge (physical, emotional, mental). Someone who does the right thing can lack virtue simply because they only do it when they are not challenged or that they are told to do it and it's not because they wanted to do it of their own will.

Sibyl reinforces this type of behaviour because it just tells everyone what right and wrong is and you only have to follow along. Akane realizes that society needs Sibyl as long as it lacks virtue because when push comes to shove, the people of Japan have lost their ability to do the right thing when confronted with a challenge (ie the public murder, riots, etc).

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Eej posted:

Sibyl reinforces this type of behaviour because it just tells everyone what right and wrong is and you only have to follow along. Akane realizes that society needs Sibyl as long as it lacks virtue because when push comes to shove, the people of Japan have lost their ability to do the right thing when confronted with a challenge (ie the public murder, riots, etc).

Hmm---I thought Akane accepted how Sibyl is omnipresent and all-powerful even if she destroyed its central core it'd have tons of hidden backups just in case? That she had to find a way to work within the system instead of simply tearing it down from the inside?

I thought that Japan's society (is Sibyl global IDK?) had become compliant due to belief how it's much safer living in the future under it than normal governments? Is this one of the those who watches the watchmen scenarios?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Sibyl isn't global, unless I'm seriously misremembering / misinterpreting a scene from the first season.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Sibyl is exclusive to Japan and, in a series of unclear and possibly connected/unconnected circumstances, Japan seems to be completely cut off from the outside world and is self-sufficient (see: HYPEROAAAATS).

This might also be at least one why some Japanese are going literally psycho. There's no pressure release valve for people who want to opt out of the Sibyl Society via emigration.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Alder posted:

Thanks for the reminder, I forgot parts of P-P and wondering exactly what the new drug wrt to stress. Anyone find it weird Dominator is auto-set to Lethal Mode at Enforcers? Somehow this seemed like a good idea at the time by the inventors :geno:?

It's not. Akane routinely did non-lethal shots on enforcers.

The killing blow at the end of S2E1 was either (a) that enforcer's stress shot up so high from being unable to defend himself from our new villain, or (b) the villain has some kind of hack into the Sibyl system to switch Dominators to lethal mode.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Sibyl is exclusive to Japan and, in a series of unclear and possibly connected/unconnected circumstances, Japan seems to be completely cut off from the outside world and is self-sufficient (see: HYPEROAAAATS).

This might also be at least one why some Japanese are going literally psycho. There's no pressure release valve for people who want to opt out of the Sibyl Society via emigration.

It's implied that hyperoats was the key to complete self sufficiency and that Japan is kind of like a future version of North Korea except prosperous, surrounded by huge border drones (they show up to quell the riots after they have been reconfigure with non lethal weaponry) and replace Juche with Sibyl.

Anyway Akane definitely does not accept the Sibyl system. In fact the Sibyl system keeps her around because they know that at her core she rejects them but pragmatically allows them to exist because society would fall apart without the system. They're using her as a test case to see how they can get someone like her to accept glorious Juche Sibyl.

Eej fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Oct 11, 2014

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

Phobophilia posted:

It's not. Akane routinely did non-lethal shots on enforcers.

The killing blow at the end of S2E1 was either (a) that enforcer's stress shot up so high from being unable to defend himself from our new villain, or (b) the villain has some kind of hack into the Sibyl system to switch Dominators to lethal mode.

Keep in mind that When the enforcer was pointing the gun at the new villain, the gun only identified the Inspector. Which seems odd given that the gun was not pointed at her at all. I want to wait and see but the fact that the hologram was identified as a person on record makes it interesting enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
It was pretty interesting to watch this episode and see just how much the stuff with Makishima and Kougami changed Akane's attitude toward her job, not to mention learning the true nature of the Sibyl System. It was also interesting to see just how different she runs her team as compared to how the team was run under Ginoza. I'm not sure where her subordinate's character arc is going. She seems to like Akane on a personal level, but definitely not how she does things, likely because she doesn't know anything and Akane brushes her criticisms off with that reasoning.

One question I did have regarding the plot so far is regarding how Sibyl judges these outliers, who obviously do exist and were the main plot focus of season one. How did Sibyl explain these deficiencies in its judgment? Was Makishima a special case for Sibyl and they wanted him so that his criminal experience could be better used in the system? Considering how close he got to winning, I would think Sibyl not being able to properly judge dangerous criminals would be a major problem.

Could just be I'm forgetting some stuff that was explained in season one.

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Oct 11, 2014

• Locked thread