Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Some sad news: Jaak Joala, an Estonian singer and a 70ies superstar in the USSR, passed away on Thursday at age of 64. Even though he was long retired and rarely performed in the 2000's, he still remained one of the most famous Estonians in the former USSR; at the time he had a number of LP's and tours, and starred in several musical movies. His style was quite 70ies, but could be compared to Billy Joel or Cliff Richard, whom he covered among other things.

Давай поиграем в любовь
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qtg07AVYyEo

an original I think, from one of his first bands, which was soon banned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uslhWgg3PfA

cover of Billy Joel's All For Leyna
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qtg07AVYyEo

pigdog fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Sep 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sergiu64
May 21, 2014

Ardennes posted:

The separatists are still taking territory, just at a much slower pace, at least according to reports from UAlivemap.

Yes, because the Ukrainian army has been ordered to pull out of those regions and create a buffer zone. What do you think Russia would do if Ukrainian army starts rolling around reconquering areas? What do you think Europe would do if Ukraine appears to be the aggressor all of the sudden?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Sergiu64 posted:

Yes, because the Ukrainian army has been ordered to pull out of those regions and create a buffer zone. What do you think Russia would do if Ukrainian army starts rolling around reconquering areas? What do you think Europe would do if Ukraine appears to be the aggressor all of the sudden?

Throwing out invaders is purely defensive. Everyone would see it like that except warmongering, invading Russia. The problem is that Russia is willing to spill blood wantonly. Even right now they are spilling it without remorse.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Sure, but now basically they're trying to normalize the ceasefire and occupation as the status quo to make any attempt to expel them look like aggression. Just like if Ukraine tried to retake Crimea now.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

But yes, at the moment it is unadvisable for Ukraine to defend itself too strongly. It all depends on how murderous and bloodthirsty Putin is.

Maybe he is ready to kill every single Ukrainian who dares to defend themselves against Russian aggression. Maybe he is willing to murder every single Ukrainian for the glory of Russia. Maybe he is only willing to prevent Ukraine from retaking the annexed territories.

Which one is it? Who knows? I don't think anyone right now knows what Putin is willing to do.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

But yes, at the moment it is unadvisable for Ukraine to defend itself too strongly. It all depends on how murderous and bloodthirsty Putin is.

Maybe he is ready to kill every single Ukrainian who dares to defend themselves against Russian aggression. Maybe he is willing to murder every single Ukrainian for the glory of Russia. Maybe he is only willing to prevent Ukraine from retaking the annexed territories.

Which one is it? Who knows? I don't think anyone right now knows what Putin is willing to do.

Last page in the clancychat thread, I posted my raw notes from a policy shop discussion. We know what Putin is willing to do. Only question is when he'll do it, and how many will die in the process.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I am kind of wondering if Putin isn't playing at democracydiplomacy in order to give EU plenty of opportunities to disgrace itself.

Edit: word substitution oops

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Sep 26, 2014

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

My Imaginary GF posted:

Last page in the clancychat thread, I posted my raw notes from a policy shop discussion. We know what Putin is willing to do. Only question is when he'll do it, and how many will die in the process.

I read it and... I didn't like what I read.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I don't think Putin cares at all about legitimacy of anything, and is in fact pretty certain the concept doesn't exist. The Russian dialogue on this and other issues comes down to competing powers, spheres, etc because the concept of self-determination is to them just a laughable smokescreen used by the west.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

I read it and... I didn't like what I read.

Reality has this unpleasant bias to it, doesn't it?

There are no good options, and whatever action is taken in Ukraine, will impact action in the ME. We'll have to live with a Russian Federation from Crimea to Transnistria, whether we like it or not. The alternatives are worse.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I think it is more likely at this point Putin will go back to using economic coercion and internal division to control Ukraine. Taking more Ukrainian territory would be far more messy than just putting the screws to them slowly over years, and I suspect Putin is planning on the IMF to help him out in that regard.

Ukraine really has no where to go at this point, and the balance sheet has reached the point that Poroshenko will likely have to further relent. Ukraine's credit rating is just above default, 2 year bonds have a year of 18% and currency reserves are running out. The economy has taken a massive hit and its shrinking while the currency has rapidly devalued.

Both Putin and Poroshenko know this and I suspect the backroom discussions are more or less about how much autonomy Ukraine is going to be able to keep.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I suppose if it'll take the Russian army committing openly to roll up the Ukrainian coast then we'll know it when it happens. Ceding Donetsk and Luhansk to separatists is wretched but if they can't break out of that containment without regular military backing that'll limit Russia somewhat. If they were totally okay with just conquering half of Ukraine with the Russian army they'd have done it already, we'll have to wait to find out if land-locking Ukraine and connecting Crimea overland is worth that escalation or not.

Again it does seem interesting to note that a Ukraine that's had its most pro-Russian areas conquered by Russia is guaranteed to be more politically unified and anti-Russian. It might not amount to much if there's complete economic and political chaos in the Ukrainian remnant, but if things ever stabilize down the line (way, way down the line) they'll be a natural ally in the region for Europe and the West. Certainly it's hard to imagine a government elected by a Ukrainian population who's lived through this crisis ever campaigning on a pro-Russian platform again.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Sep 26, 2014

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Dolash posted:

Again it does seem interesting to note that a Ukraine that's had its most pro-Russian areas conquered by Russia is guaranteed to be more politically unified and anti-Russian. It might not amount to much if there's complete economic and political chaos in the Ukrainian remnant, but if things ever stabilize down the line (way, way down the line) they'll be a natural ally in the region for Europe and the West. Certainly it's hard to imagine a government elected by a Ukrainian population who's lived through this crisis ever campaigning on a pro-Russian platform again.

There is already a split between Ukrainian moderates and more radical nationalists at this point. If anything despite being less ethnically Russian, Ukraine is probably even less unified politically that it was in March.

Ultimately, the issue is that Putin will make sure that Ukraine is never fully stable or at least free to make that decision. He knows a stable and successful Ukraine will move further West, and he has the ability to keep it destabilized enough not to be worth the effort to them. One big issue for Ukraine too is that IMF loans can be very difficult to get rid of, and the more they accrue, the weaker Ukraine is going to be even if Putin doesn't lift a finger. I wouldn't be surprised if Putin just keeps Ukraine weak enough by providing it some assistance but ultimately Ukraine remains a near-basket case that isn't ready for EU membership and can't formally join NATO.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Ardennes posted:

There is already a split between Ukrainian moderates and more radical nationalists at this point. If anything despite being less ethnically Russian, Ukraine is probably even less unified politically that it was in March.

Ultimately, the issue is that Putin will make sure that Ukraine is never fully stable or at least free to make that decision. He knows a stable and successful Ukraine will move further West, and he has the ability to keep it destabilized enough not to be worth the effort to them. One big issue for Ukraine too is that IMF loans can be very difficult to get rid of, and the more they accrue, the weaker Ukraine is going to be even if Putin doesn't lift a finger. I wouldn't be surprised if Putin just keeps Ukraine weak enough by providing it some assistance but ultimately Ukraine remains a near-basket case that isn't ready for EU membership and can't formally join NATO.

But is that a long-term solution? Russia might be able to keep that up for the next few years, but thinking decades or even a generation or two down the line this approach requires Russia to keep permanently under its thumb, and any stumble or loss of power on Russia's part is an opportunity for Ukraine to get out from under. They're breeding resentment that will permeate Ukraine for years to come.

Russia doesn't have the USSR's same ability to maintain stalemates and divisions, and even the USSR eventually collapsed from the weight of the empire they were trying to prop up. Putin might score points by pretending they can, but he probably won't be around when the long-term consequences come home to roost.

Edit - this is kind of wandering into Clancychat, I guess. To try and keep this relevant to Ukraine's specific situation it's interesting to think about what new border will stabilize between Ukraine and Russia and how long it will take for Ukraine to normalize again.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Sergiu64 posted:

Russia will do the same thing it just did; i. e. another larger scale movement of its own troops until the stooges separatists can regain their foothold. As long as that condition is in place Ukraine isn't going to be able to claw back very much ground.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

The only source I'm finding for this is Moscow Times.

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/article/russia-fights-to-keep-veto-right-in-un-security-council/507926.html

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

StandardVC10 posted:

Russia will do the same thing it just did; i. e. another larger scale movement of its own troops until the stooges separatists can regain their foothold. As long as that condition is in place Ukraine isn't going to be able to claw back very much ground.

You forget that America is ramping up its direct military aid. We're effectively running the Ukranian army now; they are under NATO command. And we're fighting the Russians like a war.

I'd expect the lethal aid to begin showing in videos soon. We've sent a few shipments initially of surplus Russian equipment; we underestimated Ukranian corruption in the face of existential threat, so now we verify every step of the supply chain logistics.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

My Imaginary GF posted:

We're effectively running the Ukranian army now; they are under NATO command.

Woah, what? Citation needed.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Freezer posted:

Woah, what? Citation needed.

What do you envision 'force coordination' and 'intelligence sharing' to entail? That is the only way I know to interpret. Or, for a less hyperbolic comparison, Ukranian forces are being managed by the same floor as FSA and Peshmerga.

\/\/\/\/ You can't out-intelligence Americans. We won't show you everything we have; we will point you in the direction of where to find documents we want you to have.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Sep 27, 2014

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

This livejournal blogger claims hackers got into Vladimir Zhirinovsky's Liberal Democratic Party's servers and found a database of Russians fighting in Donbass.

http://zloy-odessit.livejournal.com/808266.html

quote:

As it became known, some unknown persons had "cracked" the central server pro-Kremlin party the Liberal Democratic Party, and there was a database on terrorists DNR! The database contained some very interesting documents fully describing the personal data and functions of the most notorious terrorists of DNR, as well as documents, orders and correspondence with the Russian masters of the DNI and not known to the public.

Among the documents that are stored in computers Zhirinovsky's party, there are also personal passport data managers terrorists and how smuggle fuel from Russia in the "DNR", and various party and not only analytical notes Zhirinovskyites etc. While the Internet is laid out only a small part this information, just as it was downloaded more than 3 gigabytes of documents, but because - wait for fresh data. It is not surprising that the base led to the Liberal Democratic Party, look at the heroes of the DNI - it's a thoroughbred, selective electorate of this party!

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Very interesting. But will this convince anyone to change their view? I don't think so.

Will there be other consequences from this?

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Very interesting. But will this convince anyone to change their view? I don't think so.

Will there be other consequences from this?

Of course there will be no consequences for this. But if this is accurate then the Ukrainians have a list of names.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Of course there will be no consequences for this. But if this is accurate then the Ukrainians have a list of names.

Thats all that matters. We want the Ukranian population to be willing to endure the hardships they have coming when their economy undergoes some system shocks. All the easier when the Ukranians know clearly what they're fighting for and whom they're fighting against.

Wanna read that PUSSY RIOT.DOC

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

MIGF, I can't decide if your faux-State-Department G-Man routine is tiresome or funny, it swings from one to the other from post to post. Regardless, I think there is an interesting habit for people on both sides to over-represent cooperation between sides with common interests in geopolitics. There are people who see CIA and FSB behind everything.

"What do you envision 'force coordination' and 'intelligence sharing' to entail? That is the only way I know to interpret." It's this mindset exactly that I'm talking about. What if those things mean exactly what they sound like? As in, the U.S. is emailing the Ukrainian army satellite photos of troop movements and they're keeping each other appraised of forces they have in and around the area so America'll get a heads-up if Ukraine's ever on the point of collapse and they have to worry about Russians getting too close for comfort.

It doesn't have to mean there's literally CIA handlers sitting in dark offices in Langley phoning Ukrainian generals to give them their marching orders. Ukraine is already willing to do things that align with American interests of their own volition, America does not need to exert direct influence to make Ukraine fight Russia and try to stay out of their sphere. I'm sure there's agents at work and lots of back-room dealing and conversations but I doubt the Ukrainian government and army is the NATO shadow-tendril Russia claims they are.

When a state takes direct control it looks like how Russia's been sock-puppeting the "separatists" in Eastern Ukraine - clumsy and obvious, because a superpower makes their own reality and calling them out or proving their hypocrisy doesn't actually affect them.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Remember the poor MP thrown in the trash a couple of weeks ago? Take a look at what happened to this Party of Regions MP when he tried to register as a candidate for the upcoming election.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KSd6uSdqTA

quote:

Covered in red paint and sitting in the middle of a pile of rubbish on a cold pavement in the darkness, Viktor Pylypyshyn endured insults instead of celebrating his registration as a candidate for parliamentary election as he intended on the night of Sept. 25.

“You have to stand on your knees all your life!” shouted one man as someone threw shreds of a newspaper to his face. “What are you staring at? Eyes down to the ground!”

The assault on Pylypyshyn took place as he tried to register as a parliamentary candidate. An angry mob attacked him close to the Central Election Commission and threw him in a trash bin.

Member of parliament Viktor Pylypyshyn gets thrown in the trash on Sept. 25 as part of a new trend to punish lawmakers who supported ex-President Viktor Yanukovych's draconian Jan. 16 "dictator laws" a month before fleeing power.

“The outraged public showed him that his place is in the trash bin of history, and doused him with red paint, so that he remembers that his vote in the Verkhovna Rada caused death of innocent people,” wrote a correspondent of Varta Kyeva, an online initiative that claims to seek and serve justice for the public, on Facebook. Varta Kyeva representatives did not respond to requests to comment for this story.

The vote in reference took place on Jan. 16, when a pro-presidential majority approved a whole array of the the so-called "dictator laws" in the waning days of President Viktor Yanukovych's administration as the EuroMaidan Revolution gained steam.

The laws were adopted by a show of hands and with multiple violations of democratic procedures. The measures limited many civic freedoms and introduced criminal punishment for protests and libel, among other vaguely defined infractions. Instead of intimidating Ukrainians, however, the laws triggered an escalation of protests, which led to massive violence in the streets and eventually the deaths of more than 100 protesters.

According to Varta Kyeva, Pylypyshyn was basically punished by the mob for supporting the Jan. 16 dictatorship laws. The author of the site said that “corrupt falsifier Viktor Pylypyshyn” was shown that the revolution did not happen in vain.

Pylypyshyn is the second parliament member to be thrown into a trash can in the past 10 days. On Sept. 16, another lawmaker from ex-president's camp, Vitaliy Zhuravsky, got the same treatment on his way to parliament. An angry crowd demanded lustration, or cleansing of the government, as several men dumped Zhuravsky in the trash and held him down for some time.

Zhuravsky is a member of the Party of Regions who gained notoriety with his initiative to criminalize libel in Ukraine, which would severely impede free speech. His attempt was thwarted by the public.

On Sept. 16, another lawmaker from ex-president's camp, Vitaliy Zhuravsky, got the same treatment on his way to parliament. An angry crowd demanded lustration, or cleansing of the government, as several men dumped Zhuravsky in the trash and held him down for some time.

Another similar incident with binning of an official took place in Odesa earlier this month, and the latest one – in Rivne on Sept. 26. There is even a hash tag on Twitter now that describes the phenomenon, #TrashBucketChallenge.

Political observers say the binning of officials by angry crowds is turning into a worrying trend, and shows an underlying frustration in the society with the government's lack of progress in cleaning up the judicial system and restoring justice in the country.

Opora, the country's biggest election watchdog, issued a statement condemning the attack on Pylypyshyn and others, and warning that this was no way to deal with political opponents at election time. “Physical assault which resulted in bodily injuries cannot replace justice,” the watchdog said.

It said attack on Pylypyshyn was a criminal offense because it was an attempt to prevent him to run for parliament, which is a violation of a constitutional right. Andriy Magera, the deputy head of the Central Election Commission, said that Pylypyshyn nevertheless managed to file his documents at 22:30 that night.

“The Central Election Commission now has five day to decide on his registration,” he said.

At the same time, Opora added that it has plenty of evidence that Pylypyshyn attempted to buy votes in 2013 by-election to parliament. Pylypyshyn was also accused of attempting to fix vote at his constituency in Kyiv while running for parliament in 2012. As a result of multiple violations of law in his constituency the result of his election could not be determined, and a by-election was scheduled.

Previously, he had also been incriminated abuse of his office as head of a district administration in Kyiv and illegally privatizing assets. Pylypyshyn has not returned phone calls with requests for comment for this story.

Many analysts are worried that this type of abuse of officials by angry mobs is a manifestation of a problem basically created by the new administration in place: lack of progress in punishing those who committed crimes.

“This phenomenon undermines perception of the authorities as those who control the situation,” says Hlib Vyshlinsky, deputy director of GfK Ukraine, a market research group and pollster. “Something needs to be done to the problem that underlines this trend, the fact that nobody has been punished.”

In fact, it seems the opposite is happening. Despite many of corruption, none of close allies of former President Viktor Yanukovych has been convicted or stripped of assets in Ukraine since he ran out of the country at the end of February.

The General Prosecutor's Office closed a number of high-profile criminal cases recently that involved high government officials and lucrative schemes.

Most recently, Justice Minister Pavlo Petrenko complained on Sept. 26 that the general prosecutor's office close a case against a firm that was “skimming millions of dollars” by charging for every notarized operation. The elaborate scheme was tied to the Justice Ministry in the previous years, but lost the lucrative contract since the arrival of the new government.

The General Prosecutor's Office also failed to react to a media report which alleged that deputy chief prosecutor illegally acquired 140 hectares of precious land, and allegations that a journalist was attacked while investigating this case.

General Prosecutor Vitaliy Yarema failed to react to public outrage to this case until President Petro Poroshenko condemned the attack on a journalist. In response to a question from the Kyiv Post at his Sept. 25 press conference, he said he would order an immediate investigation.

It's understandable people are angry, but this isn't the way to handle it. Now that Poroshenko signed the Lustration law we'll see how many of these people responsible for the law that allowed Yanukovych to kill people at Maidan make it onto a ballot.

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011

My Imaginary GF posted:

I couldn't find these notes in that thread. Care to pass me a link?

Well, I found them now.

What those people did to that guy covered in paint is not cool. It's understandable and logical that they are angry after such draconian laws were passed, and they feel that someone should pay, but I think what they've done is taking things a bit too far.

Fabulous Knight fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Sep 27, 2014

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Fabulous Knight posted:

I couldn't find these notes in that thread. Care to pass me a link?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3664899

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
In Estonia, the officials have decided to take a strong stance against any border incursions by Russians: Border Violators Former KGB Officers, Says Russian Website - previously in such minor cases the perpetrators would have just been fined, but now they were arrested and face up to a year in prison. Another source (in Finnish)

Meanwhile Eston Kohver's case seems to be going nowhere fast.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

A tweet with an image of a new Russian sniper rifle round.

https://twitter.com/ukr_shuster/status/515834946284707840

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

It's understandable people are angry, but this isn't the way to handle it. Now that Poroshenko signed the Lustration law we'll see how many of these people responsible for the law that allowed Yanukovych to kill people at Maidan make it onto a ballot.

I am not mistaken, the law doesn't restrict people from elected positions. Probably won't have passed the Rada otherwise.
But yeah, that's what 5% trust (IIRC) in Judiciary looks like... when it doesn't get worse. Poroshenko seems aware of the
problem in words, but not enough to notice that the public is already raising corruption question about one of his
Prosecutor General's top aides...

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Rosselhoznadzor, the Russian authority that monitors food imports from other Customs Union countries, and tasked to keep EU, American, Canadian, Swiss, Norwegian, Australian, Japanese, etc. products from entering Russia has requested the Ministry of Agriculture in Belarus to be given the authority to monitor food imports into Belarus, because food exports from Belarus into Russia according to them contain food from currently banned countries.

http://belapan.by/archive/2014/09/27/729623/

quote:

Russia from August 7 year limited imports of certain goods from countries that have imposed sanctions against it - the United States, the EU member states, Canada, Australia and Norway.

In the "sanctions list" got beef, pork, fish, fruits, vegetables, poultry, cheese and dairy products, nuts and other products. Rosselkhoznadzor

The report notes that from 11 August to 24 September this year, this product is detected in 88 cases, when attempting to its import to Russia from the territory of Belarus. "In this regard, Rosselhoznadzor asked the government of Belarus, the Belarusian Ministry of Agriculture and Food and the Eurasian Economic Commission (EEC) with a proposal to organize a joint quarantine phytosanitary control Rosselkhoznadzor and ECE at the external border of the Customs Union to account for arriving at the territory of Belarus production ", - said the Russian authorities.

Recall, last weekend Rosselkhoznadzor said that fruits and vegetables from the EU, for which Russia imposed an embargo, "leaks" to the Russian market through Belarus.

"Control products checks carried out within the markets, vegetable bases, places of retail sales, as well as specially organized Rosselkhoznadzor phytosanitary control posts on the administrative border between Russia and Belarus, "- said in a statement the Russian authorities. "to the control after the introduction of Russian special economic measures

"Rosselkhoznadzor nipped more than 80 smuggling attempts plant products from the European Union in Belarus. Such production is most often try to smuggle impersonally, without phytosanitary documentation, but often allows packaging expertise to establish its origin.

"Delayed and completely impersonal products arriving without documents, and in the packaging without any markings. Identified and cases where products from third countries is accompanied by phytosanitary certificates are issued by the plant quarantine and protection of Belarus, certifying its alleged Belarusian origin "- said Rosselhoznadzor.

However, the Federal Customs Service of Russia after the response to Western sanctions have not yet seen a large number of cases re-export to Russia banned European agricultural products from Belarus and Kazakhstan, told reporters on September 23 the head of the FCS Belyaninov. "While these are isolated cases. The most typical violation is when lzhetranzit ", - said the head of the Federal Customs Service of Russia.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

A tweet with an image of a new Russian sniper rifle round.

https://twitter.com/ukr_shuster/status/515834946284707840

So, how can you tell it's 12.7x55mm used by one sniper rifle or 12.7x108mm used by all sorts of heavy machineguns?

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Russians shelling from a residential area in Donetsk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eY4DgqM72xA

This Donestk Rebel killed in action today is actually from Arhangelsk, Russia.

https://twitter.com/AlexPanchenko2/status/515863492373790721

HUGE PUBES A PLUS fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Sep 27, 2014

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Russians shelling from a residential area in Donetsk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eY4DgqM72xA

This Donestk Rebel killed in action today is actually from Arhangelsk, Russia.

https://twitter.com/AlexPanchenko2/status/515863492373790721

What type of rockets were squeeling in the beginning?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Pyromancer posted:

So, how can you tell it's 12.7x55mm used by one sniper rifle or 12.7x108mm used by all sorts of heavy machineguns?

It depends. The top middle cartridge is the 12.7x108mm with the newer special applications 12.7x55mm rounds below it and on the left side of the picture.

Really, judging from the banded grooves, I'd just say it's a heavy machinegun bullet than a special application rifle.

bearic
Apr 14, 2004

john brown split this heart

This livejournal blogger claims hackers got into Vladimir Zhirinovsky's Liberal Democratic Party's servers and found a database of Russians fighting in Donbass.

http://zloy-odessit.livejournal.com/808266.html

I've been going through these all afternoon and I can't believe how insane a few of these documents are, especially the Buratino ones. But 99% of it is bureaucratic junk.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

vegaji posted:

I've been going through these all afternoon and I can't believe how insane a few of these documents are, especially the Buratino ones. But 99% of it is bureaucratic junk.

Wanna post translations for the rest of us? My guys up in Toronto for a Ukranian conference this weekend, otherwise I'd ask him.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Aric Toler has been looking at these on Twitter, this is good

quote:

Okay, now this is just bizarre. This document details an information campaign that talks about the Darth Vader candidate in Ukraine.
LDPR wanted to create a viral campaign for Buratino, like the Darth Vader campaign (see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buratino )
LDPR wanted to run the most bizarre viral campaign ever, making a Tolstoy character a Ukrainian political candidate
Have to say that I do LOVE that passage from the anti-Darth Vader political campaign being planned
They wanted to make a political campaign for a Tolstoy character, get it viral,then have someone actually change their name to get the votes
They were going to have someone legally change name to Buratino to get the joke votes and then align himself with the separatists. INSANE.
The best part is that Buratino is Pinocchio. They were going to make a deceitful political campaign out of a lying puppet.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

I was curious what they found. I know the passport photos got everyone really excited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bearic
Apr 14, 2004

john brown split this heart

My Imaginary GF posted:

Wanna post translations for the rest of us? My guys up in Toronto for a Ukranian conference this weekend, otherwise I'd ask him.
See Brown Moses's post. Writing up an article for RuNet Echo tonight, will hopefully have it out tomorrow with translations.

I had to read through a few of those over and over because it was so insane. Someone proposed putting hundreds of thousands of rubles into a plan to make a political campaign like the Darth Vader one, but instead make a "good" candidate (as opposed to the dark side) with Buratino, the Tolstoy version of Pinocchio. They were going to make it funny, run lots of TV ads, have flash mobs, get it viral on social media, etc. Then, they were going to have someone legally change their name to Buratino to collect these votes with some minor party and get elected to parliament. Then, this new (legally named) Buratino would side with the separatists. It's just insane.

Buratino Wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buratino

bearic fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Sep 28, 2014

• Locked thread