Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

the truth posted:

Like Halo 2? That's already been out for a decade.

I would assume Halo 5, the near-inevitable Gears 3, Quantum Break, Project Spark, whatever the gently caress it is they do with Minecraft now that they own it, or other stuff. It isn't really anything I'd buy a system for but unless you really need money it's kinda pointless to sell a system you might use in the future. I know quite a few people who sold their Wii Us and ended up buying a new one when Mario Kart 8 came out and it's hard to argue the XBO was as big a clusterfuck as that was.

Regardless, console warrior poo poo is stupid no matter what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Sunset overdrive looks fun, but there isn't anything worth buying a new console over.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Honestly if you are just going by first party games that are out now only the WiiU is worth buying. This is coming from someone who currently has 3 PS4s in their house.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
The Wii U is really cool and I recommend it.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

echronorian posted:

The refurbished WiiU for $200 is one of the best deals in gaming right now.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I would assume Halo 5, the near-inevitable Gears 3, Quantum Break, Project Spark, whatever the gently caress it is they do with Minecraft now that they own it, or other stuff. It isn't really anything I'd buy a system for but unless you really need money it's kinda pointless to sell a system you might use in the future. I know quite a few people who sold their Wii Us and ended up buying a new one when Mario Kart 8 came out and it's hard to argue the XBO was as big a clusterfuck as that was.

Regardless, console warrior poo poo is stupid no matter what.

No those all suck. It's like... Tomb Raider so far. That's it.

Also it's selling fewer units than the Wii U in a lot of places so it actually is that bad.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > PS4 Thread: Buy A Wii U

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

echronorian posted:

Same. Can't beat the price with the $200 deal, either.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Well PS4 is obviously fun as well, and I would buy an Xbox if it didn't seem like it'll be 200 bucks this time next year.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

The Wii U also has the Wii library if you didn't have one of those. But it's to be expected that a console in its second year has a better game selection than one not out of its first. Everyone who actually owns a PS4 is an early adopter.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

echronorian posted:

Said it a million times but PS4 + Wii U is the best home console combo ever and I doubt that will change until the next generation comes along. I love these two systems. There's nothing I want to play that I can't find between them.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Ularg posted:

Sunset overdrive looks fun, but there isn't anything worth buying a new console over.

This is the only game I'm even remotely interested in for the Xbone, and they made it really easy to turn from because of all of the "XTREME" bullshit in it. It looks like it should be (could be?) sponsored by Monster Energy Drink and Axe body spray.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Fremry posted:

This is the only game I'm even remotely interested in for the Xbone, and they made it really easy to turn from because of all of the "XTREME" bullshit in it. It looks like it should be (could be?) sponsored by Monster Energy Drink and Axe body spray.

The entire gimmick is based around a fictional energy drink yeah

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Gonna see what Scalebound is like then probably get a bone in 18 months or so when they're cheap. Unless that literally ends up being the only game I want for it, not even Platinum is worth that.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Stux posted:

The entire gimmick is based around a fictional energy drink yeah

I know, that was part of the reason I said that. But the gameplay looks fun and I like the art direction. I just can't handle the teen extreme premise it's based on.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I'm sending my ps4 back to Sony for service. Is there anything special I need to do? I seem to remember something about deauthorizing the console?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Sunset Overdrive looks try-hard as gently caress. poo poo game on a poo poo console.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

Sunset Overdrive looks try-hard as gently caress. poo poo game on a poo poo console.

Yeah, I don't get the appeal at all. The rail stuff looks super slow and boring, you don't even aim in the game, you just kinda point in the general direction and shoot.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The tons of respawn animations if a cool idea, but probably more for a competitive FPS or something.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
The biggest draw for me is that it's visually appealing. Video games give us the ability to make whatever our imaginations can possibly come up with, and the trend is brown games that look as real as possible. It's the reason I bought a Wii U which gets 90% of my playtime.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Fremry posted:

The biggest draw for me is that it's visually appealing. Video games give us the ability to make whatever our imaginations can possibly come up with, and the trend is brown games that look as real as possible. It's the reason I bought a Wii U which gets 90% of my playtime.

This is a really boring argument and I feel like isn't substantiated as much as it was like 5 years ago.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
The moment I opened up the PSN store the day I got my PS4 and found out the new Trials was NOT XB1 exclusive was very, very happy for me. That was seriously the only thing nudgin me towards a One

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Why won't my PS4 safe mode work? I follow the steps and all I get is a black screen where nothing happens.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

RagnarokAngel posted:

This is a really boring argument and I feel like isn't substantiated as much as it was like 5 years ago.

Yeah, this isn't the age of Gears of War anymore. The big graphical-boundary pushing games right now like Infamous and Last of Us all have interesting and vivid palettes and prove that good art direction and cutting-edge graphics aren't mutually exclusive. You do have to give Nintendo props for some of the aesthetics they've pulled off with limited resources, though -- in my opinion Mario Galaxy still looks absolutely incredible which is pretty impressive given the hardware is like a generation and a half behind

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

RagnarokAngel posted:

Yeah, there's actually been a pretty big shift away from lol brown/grey stuff.

Just like video games to keep going from one extreme to the other :v:

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Pirate Jet posted:

It's the same price for a weaker toy with a dumber name, but you're still in the next-gen field if you get it.

Eh, it's a weaker version of the PS4, and is getting trounced in sales meaning it'll likely have less support in the future. Also the subscription generally costs more. I'd never get one simply because I don't trust MS not to go back to their anti-consumer bullshit - people like to claim that they 'listened to their fans', but I seriously doubt they listened to anyone other than shareholders.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

echronorian posted:

There are two things keeping me from getting one:

- region locking (half my PS3 and PS4 games are from another region)
- the screen controller thing is negative value for me, and I understand many games require that I use it

Can either of these be dealt with somehow?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Samurai Sanders posted:

There are two things keeping me from getting one:

- region locking (half my PS3 and PS4 games are from another region)
- the screen controller thing is negative value for me, and I understand many games require that I use it

Can either of these be dealt with somehow?

At this current time, no and no.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
What the gently caress thread did I wander into?

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Samurai Sanders posted:

It depends on the game. There are a fair few that don't use it at all or have it more as an optional device, like far more than you might expect given that the screen controller gimmick is kind of the WiiU's whole thing. Oddly enough they tend to be first party titles like Mario Kart, Mario 3D land, Smash Brothers, and even Pikmin. A little research should be able to tell you if the games you are most interested in require the extra screen, or only have it as an optional device that can be done without. I haven't been in the WiiU thread in ages, but they could probably tell you what games require what.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

TaurusOxford posted:

Why won't my PS4 safe mode work? I follow the steps and all I get is a black screen where nothing happens.

Are you turning it completely off and not putting it in standby? Also make sure to plug in the ds4 after the second beep and not before.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
In PS4 Related news... Friend-Request stuff is mega-hosed. Since yesterday at least.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Yeah I had a friend request that was sent to me yesterday go through earlier this evening.

Manac0r
Oct 25, 2010

"Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most..."
After a weekend at EGX just wanted to share some impressions:

Mortal Kombat X - While I'll always by a Ryu man at heart, I really enjoyed this on the show floor. Fluid, responsive and fun. The three tier system seems interesting and the fact that I'm literally chomping on the bit for a good fighter on PS4 means this has gone on my radar,

Alien Isolation - Spent a bit of time with this as there was a timed challenge competition going on, unfortunately this game wasn't for me. It's trying to fuse survival horror with Alien action and doesn't work for me. The sudden deaths were irritating and graphically under whelming. Will be skipping this but YMMV.

Shadow of Morodor - This has been described as Arkham-y already in this thread and totally agree, however in the section I played (climbing. A tower, pinpointing my mission objective) the Assassin Creed vibe was more prevalent. This is a good thing, and I actually ended up pre ordering the very night I played it. General vibe was to crank up the difficulty in order to not only create a challenge but to get the full benefit of the nemesis system. More deaths, more interesting encounters.

Borderlands - the pre-sequel - It's Borderlands with the Destiny jet pack, double jump mechanic. Felt like I was playing and expansion or DLC. Didn't stay long on this, seemed like more of the same. Which will be good news to some.

Dragon Age - Inquisition - the booth was setup to play co op. And manged to get on with two other friends and a random. Really enjoyed this, definitely retained Dragon Age aesthetic but it felt more like an ARPG, with combat happening in real time. Seem like it will be a great co op experience and d Feinstein one to pick up with mates...

Will post impression of a few other titles when I get a bit more time. Was a good event. Apologises for,typos, sending from my phone after very little sleep..

Manac0r fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Sep 28, 2014

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Manac0r posted:

Will post impression of a few other titles when I get a bit more time. Was a good event. Apologises for,typos, sending from my phone after very little sleep..

Did you get a chance to play Driveclub? I'd be interested in some impressions if you did.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I keep hoping alien isolation will be the alien game I want and yeah. . Sounding less and less like it. I feel like that's an IP that needs to die for a while.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Fibbage is a top notch party fun. I downloaded it on whim and everyone was waiting in line to play next all night. I think it should allow more than 8 players. I don't see how it would hurt the game.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Can't really comment on Alien: Isolation's design, not having played it, but "graphically underwhelming"? Were you actually referring to the deaths? Because the game clearly looks gorgeous and uses some really nice lighting.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Manac0r posted:

Borderlands - the pre-sequel - It's Borderlands with the Destiny jet pack, double jump mechanic. Felt like I was playing and expansion or DLC. Didn't stay long on this, seemed like more of the same. Which will be good news to some.
I want to know if it's really just one environment (the moon with occasional moon bases), or if there is a variety of locales like in Borderlands 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Has anyone here finished Velocity 2X? It seems to me the XP requirements to open the final level are pretty strict.

• Locked thread