Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Also I love longswords but they need to bring their damage down a little -- it has almost unquestionably the best moveset and is incredibly fast so shifting the damage from "respectable" to slightly less than respectable would be fair. Lightening monster resistance to slash damage across the board by a similar amount would keep them useful for pve, but does anyone use a longsword for that after a few bosses? (This stuff all goes for swords that are similar to the longsword too -- Heides, bastard, sun, to varying degrees).

Counter damage on katanas should be 90 instead of 130. Phantom range, speed, and the stupid running attack are enough, they don't need to be winning trades with greatswords too.

raton fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Sep 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small and Blue
Apr 24, 2008
I'm pretty sure the counter damage bonus is a percentage multiplier so 90 counter damage would make the weapon do less damage on a counter hit than on a normal one :v:

Still, 110-120 should be enough for the katanas considering their other advantages. 130 is pushing it and the 150 that some katanas have is just absurd.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Small and Blue posted:

I'm pretty sure the counter damage bonus is a percentage multiplier so 90 counter damage would make the weapon do less damage on a counter hit than on a normal one :v:

Still, 110-120 should be enough for the katanas considering their other advantages. 130 is pushing it and the 150 that some katanas have is just absurd.

Yeah that's exactly what I meant by 90 because that number basically means "trade bonus" for pvp -- katanas would do less than normal damage if you get hit when using them. It would be bullshit for pve though, so I guess make it 105.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Like they'll really nerf katanas.

Insert various jokes regarding folding here.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Uh, the one good thing about katanas is their counter bonus. Removing that would make them garbage. I also don't get what you mean about straight swords being too strong; they're about as strong as any weapon of their size (like katanas, curved swords, and axes).

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Fastest arc weapon with similar reach, phantom range, the running r1, excellent tracking, low stamina use. I think giving up the absurd "counter" damage is fair.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Genocyber posted:

Uh, the one good thing about katanas is their counter bonus. Removing that would make them garbage. I also don't get what you mean about straight swords being too strong; they're about as strong as any weapon of their size (like katanas, curved swords, and axes).

Katanas are absurdly good in pvp, my dual katana guy nearly never lost. Hell, when I first started powerstancing them, a single powerstanced attack took a guy from full health 95% dead. A throwing knife finished it.

That isn't even considering that some of them have for all intents and purposes two to three times the hitbox they actually do. I had to go out of my way just to trick someone into getting hit with a spell, in comparison.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Genocyber posted:

Straight swords swing faster than the other small weapons and outrange everything but katanas. Plus they have a great moveset no matter which one they get. If you were just balancing them against small weapons I think it'd be fair if they did less damage. Because of soul memory and defense and stuff you can't really balance PvP though so if you lowered their damage to fix the 150 meta or something they'd probably end up doing 4 damage a hit to a max level Havel guy. Everything's at least useable now so it's probably fine to just keep things the way they are.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
So if I understand this correctly, the amount of +AR that a weapon gets from ability scaling, is dependent on the weapon itself. I.e. two weapons with a B scaling in dex will not receive the same bonus damage at the same dex level.

So like, that makes me feel like it's really hard to figure out what the best combinations for dex/str I should be using when I have a weapon that is like uh C/B or like A/C or something like that. In general I've just sort of poured points into either dex or str and that seems to work ok as long as I use a weapon that only scales big time with one or the other. But am I missing out on a a good chunk of damage by ignoring scaling both? But like it seems like it's total guesswork and wooo who knows cause it's dependent on each weapon and I don't wanna sit around and poke at levels and poo poo for hours figuring it out.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

That's not true at all. It was true for Dark Souls, where scaling bonus was dependent on the scaling value and the base damage of the weapon. Here it's a fixed bonus based on the scaling value (and of course in both cases how much of the scaling stat you have).

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

SHISHKABOB posted:

So if I understand this correctly, the amount of +AR that a weapon gets from ability scaling, is dependent on the weapon itself. I.e. two weapons with a B scaling in dex will not receive the same bonus damage at the same dex level.
The letters represent a range of percentages of your stat ATK bonus that gets added to your AR, so one weapon with 'B' dex scaling might get 36% while a different weapon with 'B' dex scaling might get 42%. You can find a bunch of information about scaling here. Yes, dex scaling really is that much worse than str scaling.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Ok. I'm sorry I thought that was what I was saying, I'm sorry for the misinterpretation.

I could have sworn someone said something like that what I was saying, maybe it was in the dark souls 1 thread. sorry

I am gonna read that scaling article.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
For a while I felt bad killing AFK people in the Shrine of Amana but I got over that pretty quick since it's amusing as hell and I can only hope for more hatemail :allears:

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
I haven't played DS2 for sometime and i haven't been following the updates, so im unsure if trying a Strength/Magic build is viable at all.

I was just wondering, what would the stats be for a spellsword; and would i need to put any into adaptability or would Attunement take care of that?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
If you invest a lot in attunment it can conpensate for your adaptability. It might be wise to put some into adp early on and then redo your stats at a higher level when you have enough ATT for your AGI needs.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
So when should I do the DLCs? I'm getting back into DS2 now that the third one is soon to be out and haven't tried them yet. Can I do it near the middle of the main run, or should I wait until I've got near-endgame stuff/levels?

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Piell posted:

So when should I do the DLCs? I'm getting back into DS2 now that the third one is soon to be out and haven't tried them yet. Can I do it near the middle of the main run, or should I wait until I've got near-endgame stuff/levels?

You'll want the Ashen Mist heart, so after Dragon Shrine. But you can enter it way sooner if you feel comfortable. Essentially they are end-game areas, though. I personally wait until after the main game because beating Nashandra allows you to buy unlimited titanite chunks so you can play around with some weapons a bit if you want.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Only the second DLC needs the ashen mist heart. The first DLC has some useful stuff for early on I find. Namely free item repair if you can be bothered to whip a tree over and over.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Iretep posted:

Only the second DLC needs the ashen mist heart.

Even then, not having the heart still only locks off the route to the second story boss in the second DLC; you can explore like 90% of Crown of Old Iron King and beat the other two bosses without it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'd do the first DLC after you have the four great souls and the second one after you have the ashen mist heart (so you don't have to leave and come back later).

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Chipp Zanuff posted:

I haven't played DS2 for sometime and i haven't been following the updates, so im unsure if trying a Strength/Magic build is viable at all.

I was just wondering, what would the stats be for a spellsword; and would i need to put any into adaptability or would Attunement take care of that?

For PVE or PVP?

Base stats for magic claymore with crystal magic weapon would be my default. If you're comfortable with great clubs a CMW'd Dragon's Tooth would be pretty dandy too. Crystal Soul Spear is your best attack spell now, Soul Geyser was nerfed pretty hard. Magic Long Sword (with CMW) is a beast in PvP too.

In the early game I'd suggest pushing to the magic mace in Huntsman's, then buying the cat ring and making the long trip through The Gutter to Black Gulch. You can get Great Magic Weapon there. After you have the stats for all that plus adequate life and 20 Endurance you can pick a weapon and go with it.

Getting 32 strength for the Grym shield is nice for PvE, it has as much stability as Havel's and 100% fire resistance so it's great against a lot of bosses. Lost Sinner and Smelter Demon are helpless against it.

"Builds" aren't really a thing any more thanks to soul memory (read a pvp matchmaking post on one of the wikis if you don't know what I'm taking about here). A PvP character should aim to be effective and fun on a lean number of souls, and then try to spend future souls on things that definitely contribute to how that character wins. Your guy will slowly change -- if you get to 12MM souls it's usually best to retire that guy so you don't have to live out your days dealing with an incessant chain of Dark Magic Weapon katana using Havel Jester mages.

raton fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Sep 28, 2014

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Helical Nightmares posted:

You know what? gently caress YOU From.

I finally figured out the pattern of those axe wielding helicopter fuckers and yeah I can take three of you on bitch, choke on my manly cock you undead fucks. Yeah, dropping the barrel turds into the boss room was a clever design but not hard. Lighting/dark baseballs thrown at me by an oh by the way teleporting witch bitch was a breeze. I expected the spawns behind and in front of me motherfucker, I was just running to keep my heart rate up. I did NOT expect that ambush to jump out of a mound of ash, but ok, that's fair. This is Dark Souls bitch and I remember Sen's Fortress. It wasn't as bad as people said, but that's because I'm a veteran. I cut my teeth on Demon Souls, gently caress you. No, what pisses me off is when I have 13k souls and then I get invaded by a motherfucker WHO TURNS AND RUNS AWAY. What the gently caress is that? Yeah I sniped one of the firebomb assholes YES I DID NOTICE YOU IMPROVED THEIR AIMING AI. Did you have to make the floating armor patrol and chase me up the staircase when I just want to longbow the other flaming firebomber? Really? WHEN YOU ALREADY loving MADE THOSE COCKSUCKERS COMEBACK TO LIFE. I just wanted my souls From. Throwing curse on top of the mix out of no where was not cool bro, not cool at all. And to top it all off the loving red phantom has the gall to SHRUG as I'm sprinting down the stairs, out of estrus and nearly out of durability as I get gang raped by another patrolling floating armor coming UP from below as the unkillable bitch jumps down on me from above, I'm cursed, a firebomb shaves off a third of my heath with a +3 ring vs Fire was equipped and there is another dual wielding axeholeaghfuckyouiwamtmysouls!!!!!

:fuckoff: From!

When he turns and runs away just pop a Seed of the Giants
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7Xc5PP1piE

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Im going insane "farming" a red titanite slab.
Ive got the one from the chest for my scythe, but i need 2 more for the claws.

I know i could get 1 more if i rtaded an ascended unupgraded pyro glove to snuggly, but... there has been a scythe-related accident with the fair lady.
Long story short, Eingyi isnt exactly friends with me anymore.
Can i redeem my "sin" (it was an accident, i swears!) and have him friendly again, to buy a second glove and have queelana upgrade it, or am i stuck with a non-existant drop chance from chaos eaters?

EDIT: just realized this is DS2, but maybe someone remembers...

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Im going insane "farming" a red titanite slab.
Ive got the one from the chest for my scythe, but i need 2 more for the claws.

I know i could get 1 more if i rtaded an ascended unupgraded pyro glove to snuggly, but... there has been a scythe-related accident with the fair lady.
Long story short, Eingyi isnt exactly friends with me anymore.
Can i redeem my "sin" (it was an accident, i swears!) and have him friendly again, to buy a second glove and have queelana upgrade it, or am i stuck with a non-existant drop chance from chaos eaters?

EDIT: just realized this is DS2, but maybe someone remembers...
He doesn't actually sell pyro gloves. He just gives one to you if you don't have one.

You could always take a trip to NG+ :pseudo:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfWt3VqtVCs

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

This is easily the best gimmick character I've seen.

Also a question about ranks in Brotherhood of Blood. Do you have to win duels to get ranks or kill blue cops? I was under the impression that just simple invasions were good enough to get points towards it but everything I'm reading only mentions arena and blue cop kills.

Tracula fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Sep 28, 2014

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Winning duels, killing sinners, and defending blue babies all count for ranking up.

e: misread that

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Sep 28, 2014

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

The photoshopped UI icons. :allears: It's the little things

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Argh, that video just exacerbates my issues with PVP. I can never stunlock or backstab like that guy, ever. Even when using identical tactics. :argh:

I'm convinced this game hates me the second any other players get involved.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

This is making me want to try out the demon great hammer again in PVP. Only I never had as much luck with it and people just dodged every attack. I think last time I tried it I didn't have enough strength to 1H it though so maybe with more move variety...

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Now this is loving awesome.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
What weapon is he using for the dual blades bit? I can't quite tell...

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I'm not sure if this is old (it was posted the 26th) and I just didn't see a post about it here, but the Far Fire site has changed the patch info. Specifically, the most current patch notes have been removed, and a new message was posted:

- Dark Souls II Server Maintenance: September 30th -

Thanks to all the Dark Souls II fans’ support, BANDAI NAMCO and FROM SOFTWARE
will be bringing the 3rd and final chapter to The Lost Crowns trilogy “Crown of the Ivory King”
to all platforms on September 30th. We hope everyone enjoys,
or dreads this huge addition to the DSII experience.

Unfortunately, due to server updates which are required by our 3rd party server provider,
we have to inform everyone that DSII’s online servers will be offline during the following hours on September 30th.

September 30th 11:30AM - 5:00PM GMT
September 30th 7:30AM - 1:00PM EDT
September 30th 4:30AM - 10:00AM PDT

Although the timing of this server maintenance is out of our hands,
we apologize to all the DSII fans for having to go offline on this important date.
We have worked long and hard to provide users with the HARDEST, and highest-quality contents as possible.
We hope everyone will enjoy the treacherous surprises which await. Thanks for your support!

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Annath posted:

What weapon is he using for the dual blades bit? I can't quite tell...

I've been trying to figure that out as well.

It looks like longswords?

Edit: Nope, Bandit's Knives.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Looks like mannikin knives.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Tracula posted:

This is easily the best gimmick character I've seen.

Also a question about ranks in Brotherhood of Blood. Do you have to win duels to get ranks or kill blue cops? I was under the impression that just simple invasions were good enough to get points towards it but everything I'm reading only mentions arena and blue cop kills.

For the Brotherhood of Blood, the only way to rank up is through net Arena wins. Have fun!

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

King of Solomon posted:

For the Brotherhood of Blood, the only way to rank up is through net Arena wins. Have fun!

Wrong! Killing helping bluebros nets you +1 point also. You do lose points for losing a duel though.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

FrickenMoron posted:

Wrong! Killing helping bluebros nets you +1 point also. You do lose points for losing a duel though.

I thought that was a myth.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

King of Solomon posted:

I thought that was a myth.

It's been confirmed through hacking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Daynab posted:

This is making me want to try out the demon great hammer again in PVP. Only I never had as much luck with it and people just dodged every attack. I think last time I tried it I didn't have enough strength to 1H it though so maybe with more move variety...

I would advise either the Gyrm Greathammer or Giant Warrior Club. The reason being they have slightly better movesets; you can get a guaranteed 2handed rolling->r1 combo with those, but not with the Large Club/DGM/any greathammer with that moveset. You should also note the guy's footage is from pre-DLC patch, which means pre-hitstun decay. Prior to that patch you could get a guaranteed 2handed rolling->r1->r1.

e: Got around to making an Armstrong PVP vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ3TzJMTIs8

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Sep 28, 2014