Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

SHISHKABOB posted:

Kat is not a Genie. Kat is not a God. Kat is Kat.
If the entity in question can hook up your taste neurons to your colon or turn the sensitivity of your eyes so high that light is painful to see (while giving only a limited ability to close your eyelids, just enough to slightly dull the pain if you put some effort into it), then what they "are" doesn't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

So, uh, when did Kat do that? :stare:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Hremsfeld posted:

So, uh, when did Kat do that? :stare:
She hasn't, but that's the sort of fate the ship seems to be tempting. Ask a god for immortality and they grant it, but your body keeps aging until you turn into a cricket, that sort of thing. Especially if the god is angry and/or crazy.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Those sound exactly like the kind of horrible miscarriages that come about from organic-mechanical inbreeding. Which is to say they're the things Kat's inevitably going to do by accident, very indirectly.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Next comic: Kat turns the ship into a giant chicken wing because it's all she knows how to do.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Paracelsus posted:

If the entity in question can hook up your taste neurons to your colon or turn the sensitivity of your eyes so high that light is painful to see (while giving only a limited ability to close your eyelids, just enough to slightly dull the pain if you put some effort into it), then what they "are" doesn't matter.

wtf? Would kat do these things? No! That's the whole goddamn point that I'm trying to get across.

Kat is not some robot computer monster who hates all living things, she's an incredibly compassionate and caring person who has a very strong sense of what's right and wrong in a kind of cute naive way.

Therefore she's probs gonna make the entirety of existence for this boat dude an utter absolute hellscape for all eternity cause um he grabbed her friends and made some crazy demands that kat doesn't even understand she is capable of doing and is just now discovering some crazy things. :geno:

Blackheart posted:

Next comic: Kat turns the ship into a giant chicken wing because it's all she knows how to do.

This is a likely possibility though, I think.

"look man I told you I needed to do more testing"

maswastaken posted:

Those sound exactly like the kind of horrible miscarriages that come about from organic-mechanical inbreeding. Which is to say they're the things Kat's inevitably going to do by accident, very indirectly.

Yeah except: magic.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

SHISHKABOB posted:

wtf? Would kat do these things? No! That's the whole goddamn point that I'm trying to get across.

Kat is not some robot computer monster who hates all living things, she's an incredibly compassionate and caring person who has a very strong sense of what's right and wrong in a kind of cute naive way.

Therefore she's probs gonna make the entirety of existence for this boat dude an utter absolute hellscape for all eternity cause um he grabbed her friends and made some crazy demands that kat doesn't even understand she is capable of doing and is just now discovering some crazy things. :geno:
Or she's a scared and upset teenager in Zimmytown (not noted for its stabilizing effects on the human psyche) wielding powers she doesn't understand.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Blackheart posted:

It was worth it.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Genetic Toaster posted:

It was worth it.

Pros: Got shitload of wing meat

Cons: No sauce, half of class drowned.

It was worth it.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Hremsfeld posted:

Cons: No sauce, half of class drowned.

Creator Kat, you will make us... ranch dressing.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Genetic Toaster posted:

Creator Kat, you will make us... ranch dressing.

Only Boxbot would be so terrible as to ask for ranch over bleu cheese. :colbert:

fffff
Feb 11, 2014

Bussamove posted:

Only Boxbot would be so terrible as to ask for ranch over barbeque sauce. :colbert:

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Bussamove posted:

Only Boxbot would be so terrible as to ask for ranch over inferno. :colbert:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Paracelsus posted:

Or she's a scared and upset teenager in Zimmytown (not noted for its stabilizing effects on the human psyche) wielding powers she doesn't understand.

Have u been reading the same comic as me, it's called "gunnerkrigg court"

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

SHISHKABOB posted:

Have u been reading the same comic as me, it's called "gunnerkrigg court"
You mean the comic where monsters can kill you and possess your flesh just by looking you in the eye, children get killed in the Blitz, Annie's mother had to die in order to give birth (with Annie having to guide her mother to the afterlife), and Jones lived for actual aeons in total solitude? There's always been a horror angle to GC, and I don't think a prison of flesh, either intentional or accidental, is out of line with that side of it, even if it's not necessarily as horrific as the examples I gave.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Paracelsus posted:

You mean the comic where monsters can kill you and possess your flesh just by looking you in the eye, children get killed in the Blitz, Annie's mother had to die in order to give birth (with Annie having to guide her mother to the afterlife), and Jones lived for actual aeons in total solitude? There's always been a horror angle to GC, and I don't think a prison of flesh, either intentional or accidental, is out of line with that side of it, even if it's not necessarily as horrific as the examples I gave.

A prison of flesh accidentally inflicted by one of the sympathetic main characters and making them an irredeemable figure as a result, though, is.

The horror happens to the main characters, not by them.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
You really think accidentally doing something that only was possible because crazy people forced you into a bad situation makes you irredeemable?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Wittgen posted:

You really think accidentally doing something that only was possible because crazy people forced you into a bad situation makes you irredeemable?

Yeah, I have no idea why people are getting upset at Kat. She has zero control over anything that's happening, the boat is the one who put her in this awful situation and endangered everyone.

Man, gently caress this boat. This boat is an rear end in a top hat.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Paracelsus posted:

Man this comic is loving hardcore!!

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Wittgen posted:

Maybe irredeemable was the wrong choice of word - I meant as a character, not as a person. As in how could any character actually come through accidentally forcing a sentient being into literal eternal torment and not be psychologically destroyed by the experience?

That's why I don't think that something like that would happen, because whatever horror leanings Gunnerkrigg has, that would make it impossible for Kat to believably continue on. I like Kat, and I couldn't see Tom writing something like that because it would basically make her unusable in the comic.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
Maybe we should just let the man write the loving comic and stop arguing about things that have not happened.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Opposing Farce posted:

Maybe we should just let the man write the loving comic and stop arguing about things that have not happened.

He's got a three month buffer. If he changes anything major because of any of our speculations I'd be really surprised.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

i really hope this arc is followed by CITY FACE 3: THE FACENING

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

RandomPauI posted:

He's got a three month buffer. If he changes anything major because of any of our speculations I'd be really surprised.
Wait who said he was going to change anything?

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!

Genetic Toaster posted:

i really hope this arc is followed by CITY FACE 3: THE FACENING

Or the former land-octopus looking at the carnage and wondering if going into the ocean was really such a great idea.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It rather does feel like when you're in your mid-teens seeing pictures from your childhoood.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I'm glad Annie started washing her hair, and had that huge boil taken care of.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

I like this combination of picture and username

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

ANGRY BROWS TIME

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Show me your war face.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

AN ANGRY FACE.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pseudoscorpion posted:

AN ANGRY FACE.

THE ANGRIEST FACE.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

:mad:

Robot Civil War in Zimmyham! :allears:

Arthur Crackpot
Sep 4, 2011

Proceed in a str8 line shaped like a perpetually shifting torus knot until you feel a sense of despair transcending all mortal comprehension, then hang a right at the next octopus, she'll be in the first room on the left
Under no circumstances can we allow Smitty and the Robot King to be in the same room. Their eyebrows would collapse into a singularity and consume us all.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

As much as I love those brows, I raise my fist on that pun, Tom. :argh:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Wow, not gonna notify the Court Authorities?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

MikeJF posted:

Wow, not gonna notify the Court Authorities?

If you know of an authority higher than the King, name it. :colbert:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Pseudoscorpion posted:

AN ANGRY FACE.

Tollymain posted:

THE ANGRIEST FACE.
Came here to post this, was 100% certain I would be beaten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They need a team name.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Sep 29, 2014