Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
I dont think it has anything to do with it being harder to test and everything to do with it being a one man development team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Neruz posted:

I guess to clarify; creating a procedurally generated game is faster and requires less man hours than the same amount of content done linearly, but testing the procedural content takes an order of magnitude longer than testing the linear content and testing is actually the longest and hardest part of producing a good game. There is a truely inordinate amount of busywork required when testing a game like Cube World that I never even realised was there until my team tried to make something similar.

Right, but in a healthy developer-community relationship he'd be able to leverage his beta audience to do a large portion of the testing for him. Hell, they even paid to do it.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Shere posted:

Right, but in a healthy developer-community relationship he'd be able to leverage his beta audience to do a large portion of the testing for him. Hell, they even paid to do it.

There's a significant amount of testing that has to occur before the game can be passed out to the 'public' for stage 2 testing: and that's not even getting into the issues with version management and compiling builds.

Given the style of game hes making, the majority of Wollay's time at the moment is probably taken up by tweaking; he runs a build or ten, looks at some numbers, changes some other numbers slightly, runs some more builds and repeats about a hundred times until it's vaguely right 90% of the time. Then move on to the next 'feature' and repeat.

e; Oh and of course every new feature or change can (and usually does) create unforseen interactions with all the other systems in the game which means that each new feature takes more time to test and impliment correctly than the last one. Most of these interactions will manifest as unexplained crashes making tracking them down even more time consuming.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Apr 26, 2014

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
In short, software development is always a bitch and with a single developer, you can't spread the man-hours between multiple people.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

PerrineClostermann posted:

In short, software development is always a bitch and with a single developer, you can't spread the man-hours between multiple people.

Yup. And there are a lot of man-hours that need spreading.

Most people significantly underestimate just how much sheer busywork is involved in software development, even professionals regularly underestimate the man-hours neccessary to get poo poo done (though by much smaller margins).

Neruz fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Apr 26, 2014

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
Also the fact that Cube World is a side project to him and he that he has a full time job (as an engineer I think) doesn't really help development time. So even if he did make a decent amount of initial sales, the fact that he had to shell out from those initial profits to cover getting his stuff hosted on Amazon's servers in order to deal with the DDOS situation, lost profit on the DDOS situation, and then stuff like VAT he really didn't have enough initial profits to move to developing this game full time (look up the devs behind Secrets of Grindea, they recently said that of the $50,260 they made, after VAT, Payment Processing, and HumbleBundle's cut, they've only made $16,700 that is split three ways between the three devs).

Heck, even if he did I doubt he would have quit his day job. Game development seems to be more a hobby for him, which is fine, and I am curious to see where he goes with it.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

https://picroma.com/blog/post/14

An update on quests.

Wollay posted:

Quests are an important part of an RPG. Quests guide the player to various places, tell stories and give a reason to do all the monster and item hunting. So we decided to add quests to Cube World as well.

There were some challenges due to Cube World's procedural generation: The world is generated on-the-fly in a small region around the player while he's exploring it, but we wanted to be able to define quests more globally. E.g. there should be quests that send you from one end of a land to the other. So I developed a system which allows me to create quests in areas that haven't been generated yet. Complicated, isn't it? ;) Also NPCs, monsters and items need to be generated before the actual landscape, so they can be logically linked to quests.

[...]

So we made the system more exploration-based: we removed quest-givers and also removed all markers from the world map. Quests are just there and players can find them by exploring. E.g. you might find an old crypt and when you enter it, there is a skeleton boss that you have to defeat. Maybe the boss will drop a key or a treasure which is needed for another quest.

We added a quest journal with quest objectives and previews of creatures and items. The journal is updated automatically by fighting, finding items or talking to NPCs. Some NPCs give hints about quests that haven't been discovered yet.

By removing all quest markers from the map, players are forced to study the world around them more actively rather than following an icon on the map. It makes finding the quest target part of the quest itself and leads to a much more immersive gameplay.

I think this is pretty cool. Find a key, now go find where that key fits! Also, some screenshots in the link that I didn't want to rehost on Imgur.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
I like the idea of not really having a map marker to follow, or a trail of breadcrumbs to the quest. His idea of really having to explore is a good one, since that is what makes open ended games like this fun.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Normally I'd be against removing the quest markers but in an exploration based game like Cube World that is actually a good move.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Opening up your map to see a quest marker way aways in an unexplored area would sort of suck.

But now with no quest markers, and with smaller map chunks (from his last update I think they were reduced by quite a large margin.) I think we're looking at a more dense map full of quests, so you won't be hunting for quests any more than you're bumbling over them.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Welp, that would probably be the patch the brings me back. I love a good excuse for exploration.

Chernobyl Prize
Sep 22, 2006

Has it really been 10 months since the last update? I get my hopes up every time this thread has new posts.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Chernobyl Prize posted:

Has it really been 10 months since the last update? I get my hopes up every time this thread has new posts.

Not only that, but that "update" was more of a bug fix patch if I remember correctly. I really hope he drops a massive update on us.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
He lives. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpB_A5carcQ

Still no ETA on the actual release for the update though. Still nice to see actual progress on stuff. The arena looks pretty cool.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 30, 2014

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
That Arena looks sweet. Hopefully there will be more random areas like that!

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Came here to post that video. I'm excited.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Cube World Alpha .02, Coming 2015!

I did really enjoy my time with this game, shame it's taking so long.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Enzer posted:

He lives. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpB_A5carcQ

Still no ETA on the actual release for the update though. Still nice to see actual progress on stuff. The arena looks pretty cool.

This looks great. I actually played a bit recently and was having a blast. I still believe this game can be truly amazing some day.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

I like the giant kitty boss. :kimchi:

This new update looks really cool, hopefully it should knock some life back into the game.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

I just remembered this game somewhat randomly today, and I see that a new preview video came out yesterday. Was there any word on when this stuff might make it into the alpha? I had so much fun with this game but got a bit bored with the available content.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Digital Jesus posted:

I just remembered this game somewhat randomly today, and I see that a new preview video came out yesterday. Was there any word on when this stuff might make it into the alpha? I had so much fun with this game but got a bit bored with the available content.

No ETA. That said basing how the dev revealed information on features he was working during the pre-open alpha release, the fact that he is doing video previews of what he has been up to is a good sign that we might see a patch before the end of the year. :v:

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Sounds about right! Oh well, I'm going to reinstall and give it another crack, and a friend is going to buy it so we can do dumb crap together, so the press release thingy kinda did it's job here.

ElephantCrave
Jan 28, 2013

Digital Jesus posted:

Sounds about right! Oh well, I'm going to reinstall and give it another crack, and a friend is going to buy it so we can do dumb crap together, so the press release thingy kinda did it's job here.

All my friends have now just given up on it, they don't know what "quality" is :sadwave:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Enzer posted:

No ETA. That said basing how the dev revealed information on features he was working during the pre-open alpha release, the fact that he is doing video previews of what he has been up to is a good sign that we might see a patch before the end of the year. :v:

Yeah I think based on what we've seen from Wollay in the past we can expect the patch he's working on atm to hit some time this year.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Did this game ever get patched or did the dev run away with the money?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

The last post was in July.

I think you can figure this one out.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I wanted to believe :smith:

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
It's still possible he's a total sperg and doesn't understand that not communicating makes people think he's abandoned it. But that seems less and less likely every day.

Chernobyl Prize
Sep 22, 2006

It's only been 14 months since the last update.

Chernobyl Prize
Sep 22, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

Not only that, but that "update" was more of a bug fix patch if I remember correctly. I really hope he drops a massive update on us.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

lol literally the post directly above that one is footage of Wollay putting a quest system in the game.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

It's still possible he's a total sperg and doesn't understand that not communicating makes people think he's abandoned it. But that seems less and less likely every day.

This has literally always been the case.

Chernobyl Prize
Sep 22, 2006

Heavy Lobster posted:

lol literally the post directly above that one is footage of Wollay putting a quest system in the game.

Are you counting a blog update as an update to the game?

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Chernobyl Prize posted:

Are you counting a blog update as an update to the game?

No, but I am counting goons as a bunch of people who don't really Get early access.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Heavy Lobster posted:

No, but I am counting goons as a bunch of people who don't really Get early access.

This, seriously.

You don't buy early access games for yourself, you buy them for future generations to enjoy.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
Trust no one developer.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Heavy Lobster posted:

I also agree that developers shouldn't have to release complete games. And it's just silly to criticize developers for it, since they did warn that it was early access. :)

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Asimo posted:

I also agree that developers shouldn't have to release complete games. And it's just silly to criticize developers for it, since they did warn that it was early access. :)

Early access is literally venture capitalism.

e: Which I should clarify isn't a justification for poor follow-through, but I put forth instead because this is seriously not a new concept and goons love to get super pissed about spending 20 bucks on a game that never gets officially finished but they still poured a good 50 hours into.

Heavy Lobster fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Sep 28, 2014

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Holy poo poo this game is still going?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Peter Molyneux has been more responsive in making Godus than Wollay has been in making Cube World, and that's not an endorsement of Molyneux.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Peter Molyneux has been more responsive in making Godus than Wollay has been in making Cube World, and that's not an endorsement of Molyneux.

It's almost as if AAA developers can get more done than some German dude making games in his spare time!

• Locked thread