Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Really I just love "Chase the Enigma blah blah blah" because it is a stupidly long subtitle and the idea of it being used fully will never not be funny to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Outlined text would make those titles 100% more readable.

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

Cernunnos posted:

Outlined text would make those titles 100% more readable.

This is true and I'm going to do this right now.

e: This is proving to be more difficult than I thought and I don't think that Visual Basic allows you to give button text outlines.

Widdiful fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Sep 23, 2014

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Widdiful posted:

I was really bored one day so I started making a program to run Touhou games if you play more than one and I thought that it would be good to share it here. It hasn't got all the features I would like it to have yet and if you have any ideas, let me know. You can download it here if you want to give it a go. Or don't. I don't really mind either way.

Ok, I have one idea... What about an option to configure the controller for all games of the same kind (like the shooting ones)? That would be useful for me.

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

Symbolic Butt posted:

Ok, I have one idea... What about an option to configure the controller for all games of the same kind (like the shooting ones)? That would be useful for me.

I'm not sure if this is possible by changing the settings because I'm bad at programming but I can give it a shot.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
So I finally reached the end of FMW3 Lunatic. Notes on the SA chapters:

51: I think Kisume's spell has more elaborate danmaku now? Kind of just blew right through this. Yamame has Faith so if you don't kill something immediately they'll just zip right back to full.

52: I think Sanbondo must have nerfed Parsee's ability because my team of fully upgraded units was doing respectable damage. Though I completely forgot what her MAP radius was and got nuked. Parsee was doing like 20k damage single target and 9k with her MAP, it was hilarious. Meanwhile Yuugi was comparatively a total joke. I guess technically she can murder someone every enemy phase, but at least I could actually do full damage. And I'm sure Mokou was happy to get punched to the moon repeatedly.

53: The enemy placement got changed up a little, now there are big spirits near the enemy frontlines. I guess it should have been harder to get to Satori, but Border team spammed Zeal and Accel and got to her turn 1. A fully powered Border team is hilariously overpowered, incidentally. Blocking 3 + Shrine Maiden 8 + Yukari's Support Defense safety net makes Reimu literally immortal. I'm pretty sure you could easily solo the game if it weren't for Yorihime. Anyways Orin was still a joke. Both her and Satori kind of wasted their SP casting Trust and Faith on random grunts.

54: Utsuho 1 is a complete joke. I mean drat, she doesn't have Fury. It was kind of embarrassing just plowing right through her.

55: Utsuho 2, on the other hand, is a pile of horseshit. She starts moving on turn 3, and this time she starts with three moves. Her MAP is post-movement too, and with 255 SP she's more than willing to spam Strike. Hilariously, this makes the first lifebar the hardest because you have to figure out how to beat her without getting nuked into the ground. I eventually settled on having her come to me while I pumped up everyone's Power with Merlin and heavy abuse of Rally. Liberal application of Valor and a ton of finishers later, and I hit the spellcard phase. And there, only three characters die per turn because yes she has Fury now.

Also you basically have to have someone aggro the spirits because you need all of the bombs. So like my first run I sent Reimu off, and she is just wreaking havoc. Thank god evil spirit AI doesn't care if they can't actually hit their opponent.

EDIT: Haha, she hit Reisen for 77666. Talk about overkill. Anyways the fight turned into savescumming as soon as I ran out of SP (probably should have brought Kisume for an extra Attuner), but otherwise not that bad. I think one of her spells is bugged though; if I'm reading the description right she's suppose to get an extra turn (up to 4) every time she hits something. Instead she still only had 3 turns. Or maybe it doesn't count if she kills them?

13 casualties in total. Fight only lasted like, four turns.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Sep 24, 2014

cuc
Nov 25, 2013

Widdiful posted:

I was really bored one day so I started making a program to run Touhou games if you play more than one and I thought that it would be good to share it here. It hasn't got all the features I would like it to have yet and if you have any ideas, let me know. You can download it here if you want to give it a go. Or don't. I don't really mind either way.

Honestly the launcher can benefit from allowing the user to add their own shortcuts under each game for various fan patches: original, translation, boss rush, ultra, and so on. Plus fan game shortcuts maybe.

cuc fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Sep 24, 2014

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

cuc posted:

Honestly the launcher can benefit from allowing the user to add their own shortcuts under each game for various fan patches: original, translation, boss rush, ultra, and so on. Plus fan game shortcuts maybe.

I'm working on right-clicking the game and being able to open its config program, which is why custom.exe is there but greyed out. If I make it open the folder instead then it'll be able to do this. Although I have already added fan game shortcuts and this feature can be used for all of these so I might just make a note because I'm lazy. The shortcuts to fan games don't have to have an exact name as it just browses through the folder so they can be renamed anything the user wants and they can add folders to organise their games.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
New chapter of Wild and Horned Hermit on the wiki! Chapter 19. It's... not quite a year late. DDC is still the most recent game so it's still timely.

In which Sanae and Reimu learn a valuable lesson about drinking moderately and peer pressure. Specifically, that revenge is a dish best served cold. Also provides a brief explanation for why Sanae sat out the last few games, if you're curious.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Clarste posted:

New chapter of Wild and Horned Hermit on the wiki! Chapter 19. It's... not quite a year late. DDC is still the most recent game so it's still timely.

In which Sanae and Reimu learn a valuable lesson about drinking moderately and peer pressure. Specifically, that revenge is a dish best served cold. Also provides a brief explanation for why Sanae sat out the last few games, if you're curious.

Hasn't that Chapter been translated for a while now?

Well, more Sanae is always good.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

"Forcing people to drink sake is called 'peer pressure' and is seriously inconsiderate."

Sanae is pretty great. :allears:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Man Kasen, you are kind of bad at this "being the star of your own book" thing.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

At this post the big shocking reveal will be that she's not an Oni but an unusually moral Amanojaku.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
Reading this chapter makes me wonder if the author, this Zun guy, is by chance fond of drinking...

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
Fun fact: I took a bit of liberties with the "peer pressure" translation. In Japanese, it was "al-hara" which is short for the not-quite-English phrase "alcohol harassment". The concept is essentially the same, although specific to drinking and coined much more recently, likely derived from "sexual harassment".

I think it's pretty interesting that ZUN decided to even mention that sort of topic, although I suppose a booze aficionado like him would be concerned with societal changes in its consumption. It is true that fewer younger people are drinking, which most people are attributing to a combination of lower income and alternate ways of communication (internet).

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

Hasn't that Chapter been translated for a while now?

Well, more Sanae is always good.

Technically the translations have been caught up for a while now, since I create "rough drafts" immediately after I receive the raws. Mostly because I find it fun. The problem being that I'm terrible at proofreading my own work so it's all written in "Translation-ese" where everything's too literal and I struggle to preserve sentence structures that don't really matter in English. And if I make a big mistake in reading the Japanese there's no one to correct me. Also filled with typos.

Anyway, at some point my old editor got too busy to help, and coincidentally that point was immediately after I released my absolute sloppiest and laziness rough draft (literally it was mostly speaking directly to my editor and notes about I needed to do later). This was chapter 19, about a year ago. A few months after I never released a final draft, someone uploaded the rough draft to various manga reading sites which annoyed me a lot at the time, but whatever, I understand why they did it.

That said, I still make the rough drafts, and I still release them for my friends to read, I just added a page to them mentioning that I find it very rude to upload them anywhere else. If you'd like to read them though, I can link them here, I guess. Since 19 I've been a bit more careful, but as leather fedora could probably tell you from the more recent FS chapters it's still pretty translation-ese in places.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Sep 26, 2014

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Y'still doing the lord's work, son. :cheers:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The retail version of FMW3 hit, and the patch is, unsurprisingly, kind of buggy. Both Ryza and I had to start over from a fresh install, go to 1.0.1, then use the 1.0.1 to 1.1.0 patch.

Main changes are mostly cosmetic; new Dynamic Kills (Blazing Star and Subterranean Sun stand out), changed attack animations (Reimu's needles, Rainbow Danmaku, Fantasy Seal Blink, a whole lot), better HD numbers, an odd decision to have giant rear end HP numbers on the field HP bars (this is probably a bug), and a poo poo ton more dialogue. Mostly boss conversations, though I noticed the final boss' final phase had unique in-battle conversations too. And of course, 108 new save/quit dialogues. :suicide:

Gameplay wise there are some new skills. Reimu got Fantasy Nature, which at 150 Power unlocks a new command that lets her "transform" for three turns. It doesn't really do much, just gives her a 25% Double Image (that zeroes graze damage), allows her to use the Fantasy Nature finisher, and sets her theme to That Voice Won't Reach. Hilariously, Fantasy Nature's That Voice Won't Reach now has Trombe properties; in other words it will override every other song in the game. This was how I found out Final Spark now has The Moment Dreams Reach the Stars as its theme incidentally.

Oh and Yuyuko got some sort of new skill that has something to do with Evasion Decay? I dunno, wasn't really looking.

There also seems to have been some rebalancing. The final spellcard in particular has gotten significantly harder, to the point it's basically an auto-bomb. Oh and final boss has a new death animation.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Sep 27, 2014

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

BlitzBlast posted:

an odd decision to have giant rear end HP numbers on the field HP bars (this is probably a bug)

This was happening in the initial release at high res. It's a bug that has to do with unintentional displays of low res numbers that get blown up to that size. I'm guessing that, along with the bug that caused menu displays in the unit pairing screen to show up so high they run off the screen entirely, was why they hard locked it to low res mode for subsequent patches.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Watch the FMW4 final boss' danmaku fields carry a 'Cannot be bombed' property

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

The retail version of FMW3 hit, and the patch is, unsurprisingly, kind of buggy. Both Ryza and I had to start over from a fresh install, go to 1.0.1, then use the 1.0.1 to 1.1.0 patch.

I just had to restart my computer after patching.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It looks like there's minor edits all over the place. For example, Marisa's upgrade now has more enemies spawn in so you can get the bonus easier. Also the conversations following some of the moves have changed, or maybe just expanded to their full length regardless of who you chose in FMW2. I dunno.

Also after two hours work I now have 169/172 conversations. Two of those are probably next game previews but aaaaagh what's the last one. :shepicide:

EDIT: Also Hatate is finally in 40M.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Sep 27, 2014

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I was wondering, why is Touhou's dialogue so stilted? Is it a translation error or is it original?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
It's because most translators don't know what human speech sounds like anymore, and there are even less who bother to find a decent editor. Same idea as the "translation-ese" Clariste was talking about, except they don't bother to stop and think about it.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
I imagine part of it is the fact that text box space is limited, but then again, a decent editor would be able to get around that.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Elliotw2 posted:

It's because most translators don't know what human speech sounds like anymore, and there are even less who bother to find a decent editor. Same idea as the "translation-ese" Clariste was talking about, except they don't bother to stop and think about it.

In my headcanon, yokai speak like moonmen

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

In my headcanon, yokai speak like moonmen

What do the literal moonmen speak like in your headcanon?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

the wildest rear end posted:

Posh British aristocrats.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

the wildest rear end posted:

Old timey traveling salesmen.

cuc
Nov 25, 2013
In addition to the problems mentioned above - limitation of dialog box size, and amateur translators' lack of knowledge and skill, another factor is that the in-game dialog are written in a peculiar style of manzai comedy, with a focus on witty back and forth, densely laden with puns and references. This manzai quality is especially prevalent in EoSD and PCB, and toned down in later games. This means even to native Japanese speakers, if they cannot get into ZUN's groove of comedy, the dialog will read like gibberish.

Not to mention, comedy is even harder to translate than serious dialog.

As an example, here's what EoSD Marisa Stage 4 might look like, with all mistranslations fixed:

quote:

Marisa: "Whoa, so many books. I'll take them in one fell swoop later."
Patchouli: "Don't carry them off..."
Marisa: "I'm gonna carry 'em off."
Patchouli (looking at her book): "Let's see... How to do away with the black before my eyes passively..."
Marisa: (That's actually written in there?)
Patchouli: "Hmm, my eyes have gotten worse lately."
Marisa: "Isn't that because the room is so dark?"
Patchouli: "Perhaps I have an iron deficiency."
Marisa: "If anything, it's vitamin A."
Patchouli: "How about you?"
Marisa: "I have enough. Of a lot of things."
Patchouli: "Then, shall I help myself?"
Marisa: "I'm really tasty."
Patchouli (looking at her book): "Let's see... A simple way to remove the foodstuff's raw taste would be..."

(Patchouli boss battle)

Marisa: "Seems like magic's your thing. Anything else you got up your sleeves?"
Patchouli: "Sob sob. I have anemia, I can't finish chanting my spells!"

"How to do away with the black before my eyes passively" (a pun referring both to Marisa and night-blindness) is just as weird in Japanese. It's one of several infamous EoSD lines in the Japanese fandom.

The PC-98 games are another matter. They were written in a typically amateurish style in imitation of 80s gag manga.

cuc fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Sep 28, 2014

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
It's also worth mentioning that Patchouli might not literally have anemia. The Japanese language uses "anemia" to describe any kind of temporary weakness or dizzy spell. If you're not feeling up to par right after getting up in the morning, you could be described as a bit anemic and this would make sense as an adjective there.

So she could just be feeling too weak to finish her spells and call it anemia.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
She could just call it the vapours, although I'm not sure how people would take to a Omnidiscipline witch shut-in with a hillbilly drawl.

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

Just call it a dizzy spell and we'll be fine on both the medical and pun fronts.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

A Meat posted:

Just call it a dizzy spell and we'll be fine on both the medical and pun fronts.

Well done.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
I am also fine with localization into various form of "Bitch, get out of the way!"

cuc
Nov 25, 2013

Hokuto posted:

It's also worth mentioning that Patchouli might not literally have anemia. The Japanese language uses "anemia" to describe any kind of temporary weakness or dizzy spell. If you're not feeling up to par right after getting up in the morning, you could be described as a bit anemic and this would make sense as an adjective there.

So she could just be feeling too weak to finish her spells and call it anemia.

Here the idea is she had already been thinking she may have anemia. "Perhaps I have an iron deficiency."

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Pureauthor posted:

Posh British aristocrats.

I would be fine if all of Eientei spoke like this.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

cuc posted:

Here the idea is she had already been thinking she may have anemia. "Perhaps I have an iron deficiency."

True, context is most important here. If she is telling you that she lacks hemoglobin, you can probably assume she has anemia.

That said, part of Patchouli's running joke is that she complains about a different problem every time you meet her. She talks about her asthma in the Extra stage, and Marisa implies she has mercury poisoning in WaHH. You can probably read her as generically unhealthy.

WarpedNaba posted:

She could just call it the vapours, although I'm not sure how people would take to a Omnidiscipline witch shut-in with a hillbilly drawl.

Also she's not omnidiscipline since elemental magic is a single discipline!

Clarste fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Sep 28, 2014

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
You could translate her as a person of generally poor health or as a complete hypochondriac.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Cernunnos posted:

You could translate her as a person of generally poor health or as a complete hypochondriac.

One of these sounds better than the others.