Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Lagomorphic posted:

[dmg] is straight up poo poo because nearly everything is bonus damage to it's only adding 10% of gently caress all to your actual damage. [crth] is okay. For PVE [crtd] is the best, if you do PVP at all you want a mix one or two [acc] and then [crtd]. So [acc]x2 [crtd] on cannons or [acc] [crtd]x2 for beams since you got the nukara console to make up for the missing [acc].

How did youcome to these conclusions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
It is known.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
So stop me if you've heard this before but the latest update has thoroughly hosed up the OSX version.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Baron Porkface posted:

DMG is adding something like 10%....of the baseline damage for a 'Standard Issue' item(I.E the rank 1 version). It's a...quirk...of the system. Everything, including Mark, is a modifier.

Crit Hit is always useful.

The assumption is that AI ships(And Player Ships hamstrung by things like Tractor Beams) have poor mobility, thus increased crit chances. So the desire is for Crit Damage. And +Accuracy to make sure you hit, given every player is runningboth the +Accuracy and +Defence passive even before you get into gear.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

g0del posted:

Also, for anyone hoping to get rich off crafting, please be careful. STO pubbies apparently think that economics is something that happens to other people. In just about everything I checked last night, the cost of the raw materials for crafting was higher than the cost of the finished item, all based off exchange prices. In other words, right now it's cheaper to sell your mats on the exchange and then buy the finished item.

Does this include Superior Upgrade items or are they new enough they're still expensive?

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Baron Porkface posted:

Like I said [dmg] doesn't actually add very much damage so just forget about it, it's poo poo.

[crth] means more crits which is good but once you get your rep gear/passives/fleet tac consoles your crit chance will be high enough that you'll get more DPS by taking [crtd] for bigger crits. [acc] is also really important because missed shots do zero damage but it's really easy to be hitting 100% of the time in PVE. In PVP other players will have much higher defense than NPCs (defense is basically anti-accuracy, it reduces your chance of being hit) so you'll want a few [acc] mods to counter that. Two should plenty for all but the most dedicated defense tankers.

The Nukara rep console adds 10% accuracy to all your beam weapons so if you're running with beams that can replace the 2nd [acc] mod. Also extra accuracy above 100% hit chance will get converted to a smaller bonus to crits so it's not really wasted but the bonus isn't going to be as good as the +20% severity from [crtd].

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

SKY COQ posted:

So stop me if you've heard this before but the latest update has thoroughly hosed up the OSX version.

I thought they broke the OSX version way back when they released 9.5?

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Today I got the worst errors yet. One managed to open five instances of the game before I force quit them all.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Does this include Superior Upgrade items or are they new enough they're still expensive?
If it's not true now it will be shortly once pubs aggressively price cut each other.

Also...

g0del posted:

Also, I hope everyone has 2.8 million dil saved up to upgrade a ship to all gold gear.

quote:

SPEAKING of which! I ran some numbers on clicks and came up with 17,240 CLICKS to upgrade just 1 ship (my Galor, so your numbers will vary a bit depending on the starting Mk and Rarity of your individual gear) to full Epic gear, and that is a conservative number.
Ahaha get hosed forever Cryptic. Or PWE. Or whoever forced this bullshit.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

MikeJF posted:

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. It depends on which upgrade, what materials they use, and your crit rate. As of this morning, it costs 728k ec in materials to make a superior beam upgrade, and they're selling for 640k ec. Superior engineering techs cost 437k ec in mats, sell for 725k ec. Superior Cannon techs cost 993k in mats (they use craylon gas), and sell for 890k ec.

If you can crit consistently you can still make money off them, but it'll be slow. And the market for a lot of the materials isn't very deep. If you start trying to make them wholesale, you'll drive up your materials cost pretty quickly.

And remember, right now the only people crafting them are people who spent dil to level up their crafting. In a few weeks people who didn't spend dil should start hitting level 15 naturally. At that point I expect materials cost to go up (more people using them) and tech upgrade costs to go down (more people trying to sell them).

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
Yeah don't spend dil to speed up crafting hoping to make your money back. The marginal returns (the money you make before accounting for the pile of dil you wasted getting your crafting to 15) on making tech upgrades were pretty good for a day or two but they're already going to poo poo. If you were dumb/bored and rich enough to waste dil on crafting xp by all means try to get some money out of it before it's completely ruined but otherwise just hang back and keep doing the 20hr xp project like a sane person.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Is it safe to take my fleet shield out of the upgrade process now? Or is it hosed regardless? Or what? I started an upgrade on it before I heard about people getting the [ResA]/[ResB] stripped off.

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003

wdarkk posted:

Is it safe to take my fleet shield out of the upgrade process now? Or is it hosed regardless? Or what? I started an upgrade on it before I heard about people getting the [ResA]/[ResB] stripped off.

It gets hosed when you put it in. Mouse over it and see if it has the modifiers.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

wdarkk posted:

It was probably messed up as soon as it got slotted. According to the official forums, they're working on a way to fix all the items that got messed up.

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003
For only about an hour now this code is redeemable in the ARC launcher.

Red Matter Capacitor: O4KhYl2l

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

DAVE!!!(c)(tm) posted:

Thanks! I'll probably never waste a slot on this, but I love having the option to. For free.

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003

Frankenstyle posted:

Thanks! I'll probably never waste a slot on this, but I love having the option to. For free.

You should. It's the best thing you can ever use in the item slots. It's good on every build practically. It's not a console.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

It's a ship device, not a console, so there's basically no reason not to have it equipped at all times.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

DAVE!!!(c)(tm) posted:

You should. It's the best thing you can ever use in the item slots. It's good on every build practically. It's not a console.

Holy poo poo. Then extra super thanks!

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

DAVE!!!(c)(tm) posted:

oh thanks! haha getting my ships back one thing at a time :argh:

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God

DAVE!!!(c)(tm) posted:

Just used it and it still worked. Thanks

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
That RMC code is still working BTW. Thanks DAVE!!!(c)(tm)!

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Goddamnit no Red Matter Capacitor for me since I'm a slow poke, also I only ever use Steam. :smith:

edit: or I could just download it, install it, redeem it and then uninstall it like I just did! Thanks DAVE!!!(c)(tm).

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Sep 27, 2014

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

JFC posted:

Just used it and it still worked. Thanks

Still working, thanks Dave.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Is STO down right now for everyone? I keep on failing at login server and can't find anything about doing maintenance, of course the arc website makes me want to scream and hurt myself.

Violent Kitten
Dec 26, 2011

Dearmad bhean
an ti ag an gcat.
It is down and has been down for a few hours now.

That t6 rommie ship featured in the livestream is somewhat tempting.

Ibanez Murderface
Mar 7, 2005

#!/bin/bash
Red Matter Capacitor code still working, woohoo!

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

As a warning, apparently that RMC code is a one-character unlock, not account wide.

Code will last until the stream goes down, so probably another hour at the most.

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003

Asimo posted:

As a warning, apparently that RMC code is a one-character unlock, not account wide.

Code will last until the stream goes down, so probably another hour at the most.

Apparently that is an issue that they are looking at.

Edit: Welp, looks like it is confirmed once per account.

DAVE!!!(c)(tm) fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Sep 28, 2014

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
Can you transfer that RMC between characters via mail?

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
It's bound to character.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

drat, the code expired :(

Northerneye
Oct 28, 2013
Large self-entitlement issues. They should file a failsuit.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1235531
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1235601

Totally not a furry guys.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1234681

Northerneye fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Sep 28, 2014

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Acer Pilot posted:

drat, the code expired :(

drat you sleep!

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Oh no, people got something that you had to pay a ton of money for THREE YEARS AGO free! THE HORROR.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

But you don't understand, I deserve special treatment due to my ability to pay $60 for a video game!

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
I put the code in hours ago but never got an in game mail. Arc says it's in there.

Hmm. Is there a delay on getting the red matter capacitor?

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Burning_Monk posted:

I put the code in hours ago but never got an in game mail. Arc says it's in there.

Hmm. Is there a delay on getting the red matter capacitor?

It shows up as a claimable item in the Zen Store. Make sure to claim it on the character you want to use it, you only get one and it's bind to character.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Hunter Noventa posted:

It shows up as a claimable item in the Zen Store. Make sure to claim it on the character you want to use it, you only get one and it's bind to character.

Weird I looked earlier and couldn't find it but now it's there! Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Typical, they give out the RMC while I am away on holiday and am nearly 8000km away from my pc. I'd feel annoyed, but you know, Disneyworld and all that.

• Locked thread