Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caros
May 14, 2008

Rexides posted:

Ugh, fiiiiiiiiiiiine, I'll check out not-SAO...

It's... okay. The plot between around episodes 6-10 picks up quite a bit and then drifts right the gently caress back down for the next couple so it is a little hard to remain invested when the tension ebbs and flows like it does.

I think my single biggest complaint is that they show refuses to really up the stakes on anything. While its true that you can have a show like Log Horizon where death isn't a threat, you do need 'something' as a threat or it becomes boring.

They have characters threatening others with "I'll send you to the cathedral 100 times!" but every time I see it I just kinda shrug and feel like I should be asking "So what"? If the show suggested or really showed that the act of dying was unpleasant (which it might be, who knows!) or that it had compounding negative effects such as level loss, or really anything at all such threats might be scary. But it doesn't feel that way at all when nothing is permanent and you can spoil their entire plan simply by staying in town where you can't be touched. As an MMO player I can admit that being spawn camped sucks, but if your series' primary threat to people is that they will be vaguely annoyed its gonna be hard to build tension.

Its still a show worth watching, Its just hard to remain invested in it when there isn't a scheme or a plot ongoing, something where there is a real chance of failure.

Caros fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Sep 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Caros posted:

I think my single biggest complaint is that they show refuses to really up the stakes on anything. While its true that you can have a show like Log Horizon where death isn't a threat, you do need 'something' as a threat or it becomes boring.

They have characters threatening others with "I'll send you to the cathedral 100 times!" but every time I see it I just kinda shrug and feel like I should be asking "So what"? If the show suggested or really showed that the act of dying was unpleasant (which it might be, who knows!) or that it had compounding negative effects such as level loss, or really anything at all such threats might be scary.

There is an actual threat to getting KO'd / killed, though. :confused:

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Caros posted:

It's... okay. The plot between around episodes 6-10 picks up quite a bit and then drifts right the gently caress back down for the next couple so it is a little hard to remain invested when the tension ebbs and flows like it does.

They have characters threatening others with "I'll send you to the cathedral 100 times!" but every time I see it I just kinda shrug and feel like I should be asking "So what"? If the show suggested or really showed that the act of dying was unpleasant (which it might be, who knows!) or that it had compounding negative effects such as level loss, or really anything at all such threats might be scary. But it doesn't feel that way at all when nothing is permanent and you can spoil their entire plan simply by staying in town where you can't be touched. As an MMO player I can admit that being spawn camped sucks, but if your series' primary threat to people is that they will be vaguely annoyed its gonna be hard to build tension.

Its still a show worth watching, Its just hard to remain invested in it when there isn't a scheme or a plot ongoing, something where there is a real chance of failure.

Players still feel pain, and when they die they lose part of their memories of the real world so I think the series does a good job of establishing that dying is extremely unpleasant, just survivable.

However, I will admit that Log Horizon isn't for everyone. Basically, it's everything SAO is not. It's not about one character, but an ensemble, often following multiple plot threads at once, and rather than using being trapped in an MMO as a vehicle for action, it's about using being trapped in an MMO as a chance to explore the implications of that on a group of people. Some people will like that more than SAO, some people will like it less.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Wark Say posted:

There is an actual threat to getting KO'd / killed, though. :confused:

Eh, I'm only discussing the first twelve episodes which is where I took my break for today, so the spoilered bit covered in Bremen's post hasn't come up (I don't think.) The pain thing helps but I think its more of an issue of getting it across. They show in other parts of the series that people experience pain, but they don't really make any attempt to link that to death threats.

I guess my problem thus far is that too much is left to assumption. I assume the kids don't leave because they've been abused etc, but apart from vague threats they never seem to cover why the kids don't simply flip their guild members off the moment they leave the guild house where the guild boss can't do anything serious. The whole series just feels like it could benefit from an extra couple of scenes about this sort of thing as opposed to Akatsuki's stupid dress #47

Don't get me wrong, its a good show. It just suffers from a lot of show don't tell at times.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Holy poo poo, the GGO arc STILL isn't done after 13 freaking episodes. And did we really need the main villain to be a rapist AGAIN?

God dammit SAO II, why. Why do you keep doing this.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Laughed the whole episode.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

jng2058 posted:

Of course it won't actually be that easy, and will probably devolve into some kind of RL fist fight or some such bullshit because that's what happened at the end of ALO, but in a rational world that's what would happen.

Mind you, in a rational world Kirito would have already asked Sinon for her RL address and sent word through Yui or just logged out and told the cops/IA/whomever to go check on Sinon's RL body. But you know, why do something to keep her alive when the dramatic thing involves keeping her in jeopardy so you can heroically rescue her yourself? :cripes:

I take no pleasure in being right. :sigh: There were so many more interesting ways to have gone with this than Sinon being damseled in RL and Kirito rushing to the rescue.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Unsubbing crunchyroll, jojo is on break and sao is garbage

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Jackard posted:

Thanks for the update.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Oh I swear if they don't do Mother's Rosario this season I will go spare.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Jackard posted:

Wait did you watch SAO expecting anything else?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Beef Waifu posted:

Wait did you watch SAO expecting anything else?
I was a fool

:negative:

"GGO sucks but apparently it's short and I hear the next story is maybe worthwhile!?"

nope, kirito save me from the rapist

Jackard fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Sep 27, 2014

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

:sweatdrop: For a moment there I was worried that a female character might be saved by the power of her own agency.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

ConanThe3rd posted:

Oh I swear if they don't do Mother's Rosario this season I will go spare.

I don't think even these directors can stretch out GGO for another 10 episodes.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Rexides posted:

:sweatdrop: For a moment there I was worried that a female character might be saved by the power of her own agency.

I was expecting Sinon to suddenly get over her gun phobia and maybe pull the pistol she had out of her drawer and just shoot the dude, but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO we just had to have Kirito jump in like he did.

It would have been a little cheesy if Sinon saved herself after being ~inspired~ by Kirito but ugh we couldn't even have that.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I'm like 99% sure that's going to happen next episode now that Kirito has arrived to inspire her.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Raxivace posted:

I was expecting Sinon to suddenly get over her gun phobia and maybe pull the pistol she had out of her drawer and just shoot the dude, but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO we just had to have Kirito jump in like he did.

It would have been a little cheesy if Sinon saved herself after being ~inspired~ by Kirito but ugh we couldn't even have that.

The Pistol is a replica, not a real one.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Jackard posted:

So you expected SAOII to be good?

And you're going to ragequit CR because it wasn't?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Dexo posted:

Ah, my mistake.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

NOTinuyasha posted:

And you're going to ragequit CR because it wasn't?
Ragequit, what? Is this a MMO? Those just happen to be the only two shows I watch (subbed for Jojo)

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008
They should just make whole episode where you just look at Sinon's butt.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I admit, the present grenade thing made me laugh. That part was well-done. And only that part.

I knew that Shinkawa guy was a creep and I doubt anyone's surprised he is Death Gun, but holy poo poo all of that could've been done so much better. Having Sinon finally get over her fear, go and beat the crap out of him would've been exactly the way to show how she's grown, and the series almost did it...but of course, we can't have someone not named Kirito do something cool. poo poo.

This angers me more than usual, because there's clearly an indication that the writer knew what should happen...and then decided "nah, let's have Gary Stu save the day".

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
Sigh. And I was liking this season too! Why did the show have to do down that route. Man, the tonal shift between the first half of this episode and the second half was so severe it gave me whiplash. The first half was great, and then that had to happen. What is the whole point of Sinon's character arc if Kirito is going to save her? Ugh.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Not even kirito can save this show

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Raxivace posted:

Dexo posted:

It's literally Chekhov's Gun in reverse.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Oh right you can't just own a gun in Japan.

Maybe she'll pistol whip him with it.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Well at least it wasn't Kirito saving her when he had the syringe up against her. She managed to enable herself to be in a position to get saved so there's at least that but that's that, the least. :(

I also loved the present grenade, that was hilarious, especially all of his friends seeing that.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

Well at least it wasn't Kirito saving her when he had the syringe up against her. She managed to enable herself to be in a position to get saved so there's at least that but that's that, the least. :(

I also loved the present grenade, that was hilarious, especially all of his friends seeing that.

That's part of why it's so disappointing, though; she was already halfway to winning the fight at that point, so her starting to lose again and getting rescued by Kirito felt unnecessary.

I did laugh at the present grenade. Aside from the ending, it was a pretty good episode. I laughed at the villain's motivation; for a show that's normally the embodiment of nerd wish fulfillment, it can be surprisingly (perhaps unintentionally, but I feel like giving it some credit) cutting in its portrayal of a certain type of nerd. Dude was REALLY MAD about those OP character builds. (I think someone in this thread actually predicted that Death Gun's motivation would turn out to be something like that.)

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

nielsm posted:

Laughed the whole episode.

They got "socially awkward gaming guy turned sexual predator" down pat, I'll give them that much. Yeesh that scene is uncomfortable.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Allusions to Spoilers for the next episode.
You guys should probably should wait til the end of the arc to complain about her lack of agency.

Anyway, This series is hurt since, the author of the LN loves to use internal dialogue, while the anime does none of it. You completely miss out on Sinon's narration and thought process. not to mention the fact that an entire scene of Sinon character development was seemingly cut(It makes some sense to move it to the next episode to resolve the conflict, but who knows...)

Also speaking from some experience, If someone is grabbing your ankle, and you don't have the best force kicking, it is a bitch to do anything useful.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Now that I've actually watched it that actually wasn't that bad after three episodes in a cave, between the final fight with Death Gun, the present grenade, friendzone turning into suicidal psycho stalker within the span of a few seconds, and the series coming as close as it ever will to a female character not being totally helpless for at least a minute until Kirito Came To The Rescue.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Also Rereading the ending of GGO, Holy poo poo, they will definitely be able to pull out 2-3 more episodes of it if they so desired.

NOTinuyasha posted:

Now that I've actually watched it that actually wasn't that bad after three episodes in a cave, between the final fight with Death Gun, the present grenade, friendzone turning into suicidal psycho stalker within the span of a few seconds, and the series coming as close as it ever will to a female character not being totally helpless for at least a minute until Kirito Came To The Rescue.

If it's any consolation if they don't gently caress around with it, the next arc Kirito is the girlfriend character and is very much not important at all. It's a completely Asuna based story.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Sep 28, 2014

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Mo_Steel posted:

They got "socially awkward gaming guy turned sexual predator" down pat, I'll give them that much. Yeesh that scene is uncomfortable.

That voice actor put on the performance of the year.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Is the Deathgun guy just really good at fencing without the Sword Skills and Kirito just a subpar swordsman when not chaining the Sword Skills? Because Kirito was getting loving lit up something fierce. Doing sword combat against real people must be way more difficult than the predictable poo poo from NPC that Kirito was doing.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

YouTuber posted:

Is the Deathgun guy just really good at fencing without the Sword Skills and Kirito just a subpar swordsman when not chaining the Sword Skills? Because Kirito was getting loving lit up something fierce. Doing sword combat against real people must be way more difficult than the predictable poo poo from NPC that Kirito was doing.

Kirito strength is in SAO, was based off of the fact that he had significantly more dive time and knowledge of the game than anyone else in the world, and wasn't dumb enough to get cocky and killed by things which changed from Beta like the other testers did.

Now his relative Dive time compared to another SAO Survivor(like 3-4 years of continuous dive), is now significantly less and he's playing a game that he only started playing a couple of days ago. GGO is also the first "professional" VRMMO, So players are literally spending days hooked up to the stupid thing playing the game, closing the Gap between Kirito who goes to school and only plays with friends now significantly, and the guy controlling Death Gun who does nothing but play.

Kirito unlike what people make him out to be isn't some untouchable world beater, his difference in ability wasn't too far past the other players. He just had the slight edge in reaction time, which was enough to give him Dual Blades.

Like IIRC, Asuna was able to push him to the point where he would have had to use Dual Swords in a duel they had, during SAO.

Like first final boss he only survived because Nippon Spirit was able to break the system somehow?

And the second boss, he survived because of a literal Deux Ex Machina.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Sep 28, 2014

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Ha ha, why on earth was everyone cheering at the end of the tournament? After a fight between two guys with swords it ended with a suicide hug. What's more, the two 'winners' spent most of the tournament playing grab-rear end in a cave while the other participants actually fought.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Dexo posted:

Kirito strength is in SAO, was based off of the fact that he had significantly more dive time and knowledge of the game than anyone else in the world, and wasn't dumb enough to get cocky and killed by things which changed from Beta like the other testers did.

Now his relative Dive time compared to another SAO Survivor(like 3-4 years of continuous dive), is now significantly less and he's playing a game that he only started playing a couple of days ago. GGO is also the first "professional" VRMMO, So players are literally spending days hooked up to the stupid thing playing the game, closing the Gap between Kirito who goes to school and only plays with friends now significantly, and the guy controlling Death Gun who does nothing but play.

Kirito unlike what people make him out to be isn't some untouchable world beater, his difference in ability wasn't too far past the other players. He just had the slight edge in reaction time, which was enough to give him Dual Blades.

Like IIRC, Asuna was able to push him to the point where he would have had to use Dual Swords in a duel they had, during SAO.

Like first final boss he only survived because Nippon Spirit was able to break the system somehow?

And the second boss, he survived because of a literal Deux Ex Machina.

In the novels (oh god the english) they go more in depth of his thought processes and usually he was using his gaming knowledge or basically abusing the poo poo out of the system to win.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It was never that Kirito was the bestest fighter in the world, but rather that he was the bestest gamer in the world. Even within that context, it isn't like he is the only person who is allowed to be good at games. This isn't mahouka, after all.

Malachite
Mar 2, 2004
Its kind of sad that Pale Rider is the MVP of this season for me. He showed up, was awesome while the story was actually entertaining and then got out before it dove into a pile of poo poo.

Dexo posted:

If it's any consolation if they don't gently caress around with it, the next arc Kirito is the girlfriend character and is very much not important at all. It's a completely Asuna based story.

Do Asuna and/or Kirito become remotely interesting characters? There was a lot of praise for this Rosario arc in the thread for SAO1 too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Death Gun does mention that Kirito tends to favor heavier swords over something slim and light, and GGO has none of the former.

• Locked thread