Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

One of the main symptoms of reflux is not gaining weight. If she's not in pain while spitting she likely just has to figure out what her tummy can handle size wise. Learning to use a digestive system is hard!

My son spit up outrageous amounts for 6-7 months. He was like a volcano. He wasn't in pain and kept gaining really well so it was just a laundry "problem" for us.

Do you try the "boob sandwich" strategy to help with latching? That really helped for us until he got a little older.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
Yeah, if she's gaining weight and not in any apparent discomfort, you might just have a happy spitter on your hands. Some babies will just cheerfully yak all over themselves for several months before their digestive systems mature. My kid wasn't a happy spitter, but she refused pacifiers and used my boob instead, so she'd inadvertently eat despite being full, and just splort the excess milk back up. Delightful!

Black Lodge
Aug 17, 2013
Seconding what people are saying about happy spitters. My kid's closing in on 6 months and still urps several times a day without a fuss. I'm surprised she keeps anything in her stomach sometimes but she pees and poops like champ and has doubled her birth weight so something must be sticking.

Absolute Evil
Aug 25, 2008

Don't mess with Mister Creazil!
I had my first doctor's appointment today. We had an ultrasound done and apparently I'm not as far along as my LMP would have me expecting. I'm only about 6 weeks, 3 days along. But we got to see the little critter and its heartbeat..and the yolk sac! It's starting to sink in that there really is a critter in there!

political pseudoscience
Aug 8, 2006

Anselm October (Toby) made an early arrival two weeks ago. He is still in the NICU, (preemie withe meconium in his fluid) but is kicking rear end and is almost back to his birth weight. If all keeps going well, we should all be back home together Wednesday!

He was born fast and furious with a twelve hour labor vbac. I thought it was false labor so I had driven myself to the hospital but when I jumped from 0 to 3cm within two hours I had some phone calls to make to get my husband there and my six year old to my aunts.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
Dat name! Dat hat! Dat itty bitty middle finger to the world! You've obviously done an awesome job with this one. Congrats!

dorasage
Nov 3, 2008
Congrats! I love that name and he looks adorable. :3:

Baja Mofufu
Feb 7, 2004

Hi everybody, I've been catching up on as much of this thread as I can since I found out I was pregnant a few weeks ago. So many cute babies and good advice!

My husband and I have a family situation that we have some time to think about since the baby isn't due until April. His parents don't believe in any kind of medical treatment for religious reasons (Christian Science). We know we're going to have to talk to them about this in one way or another because his mother wants to be a very involved grandparent, but we won't be comfortable with a babysitter who would pray instead of calling 911 in a medical emergency.

The part we aren't sure about is regarding vaccinations for grandparents. At my last appointment my doctor recommended that everyone who spends a lot of time with the baby get an annual flu shot and a Tdap booster because we're in a state with a pertussis outbreak. I know my in-laws aren't inoculated and I don't see the point in asking because they don't believe sickness exists. My husband is leaning toward telling them it's important to us, but not expecting that they'll do anything about it. I told my doctor about the situation, and she said that it would only be 2 months until the baby had his/her inoculation. Of course, the only topic I could find online about it has 90% of the responses saying "NO SHOTS, NO TIME WITH MY BABY" but even as a pro-vax biologist I'd have a hard time doing that to the new grandparents.

tl;dr Do people "enforce" vaccinations for close relatives (who will be around the baby a lot) until the baby is old enough to get them?

Lacey
Jul 10, 2001

Guess where this lollipop's going?

Baja Mofufu posted:

tl;dr Do people "enforce" vaccinations for close relatives (who will be around the baby a lot) until the baby is old enough to get them?
Time to start looking into alternate babysitting options if you know you'll need a babysitter in the first few months. Your concern should be 100% what you're doing to a new baby, not what you're doing to new grandparents. I mean, do you really want to risk seeing your newborn suffer through whooping cough while you think "Well at least grandma got to feel very involved"?

Heck, I'd be worried about leaving my kid with them at all ever. Even if they swear up and down that they'll call 911, I'd be leery of them saying one thing and doing another. If they get upset about not babysitting, tell them they can pray in a closet about it.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Baja Mofufu posted:

Yes. I was pretty strict about this. Look up videos on youtube of newborns with Whooping Cough.

Baja Mofufu
Feb 7, 2004

Lacey posted:

Time to start looking into alternate babysitting options if you know you'll need a babysitter in the first few months. Your concern should be 100% what you're doing to a new baby, not what you're doing to new grandparents. I mean, do you really want to risk seeing your newborn suffer through whooping cough while you think "Well at least grandma got to feel very involved"?

Heck, I'd be worried about leaving my kid with them at all ever. Even if they swear up and down that they'll call 911, I'd be leery of them saying one thing and doing another. If they get upset about not babysitting, tell them they can pray in a closet about it.

We won't need a babysitter in the first few months because we have enough maternity/paternity leave, and if we did we've got my parents who are sane and believe in the existence of the material world. I should have been clearer, but I meant to say that we know we're already going to have to confront them about their beliefs because they will not ever be allowed to watch our kid alone.

Thanks for your response, though. It will be tough to turn them away at our front door for those two months, but it's something we'll have to consider. And they actually do pray in closets, if you can believe it.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Baja Mofufu posted:

Of course, the only topic I could find online about it has 90% of the responses saying "NO SHOTS, NO TIME WITH MY BABY" but even as a pro-vax biologist I'd have a hard time doing that to the new grandparents.

My husband and I are both pro-vax biologists but this was still a difficult thing for us to come out and say to his extremely anti-vax parents. We felt it was important though, and stuck to it. They were not allowed to come visit our daughter until she had her first pertussis vaccination. We'll do the same whenever we have another kid.

For what it's worth, if two weeks makes a difference, the shot can be given at 6 weeks. We did that because (in addition to the grandparent thing) we wanted to travel when she was 8 weeks and wanted her to have time for the vax to kick in before that. The ped did not have an issue with it and the vax is approved from 6 weeks.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

We did the no vaccines no seeing the baby until he's vaccinated. My husband's dad and step mom took issue with it and wouldn't get a pertussis shot. They didn't see him. Finally they had to get a tetanus booster due to some metal junk they both managed to injure themselves on and the tetanus is combined with pertussis here so they got it (rather unwillingly).

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
Posted in knocked up thread but was directed here.
2nd baby is due Saturday. If my wife is having mild contractions every 6 or so minutes for an hour is that go to hospital time? Only one or two of those contractions makes her stop what she's doing.

Is it moderate contractions every 4-6 minutes for an hour. Or any contraction?

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
I was told 4 contractions in 30 minutes, or 8 in an hour. The worst thing that could happen if you go in is that labor will slow down/stop and you'll go home. If you stay home, the worst thing that could happen is that labor will get really hard quickly and you're rushing to the hospital in a bid to keep from having the baby in the parking lot. I'd go in, especially if her first labor was quicker than average.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Lacey posted:

Your concern should be 100% what you're doing to a new baby, not what you're doing to new grandparents. I mean, do you really want to risk seeing your newborn suffer through whooping cough while you think "Well at least grandma got to feel very involved"?

100 % this. I really, really feel for you, and it's probably going to be extremely hard, but just remind yourself that the health of your baby trumphs the feelings of your completely removed from reality inlaws. At least your husband seems to be fully in agreement with you, that makes the issue way easier (having to stand your ground when your inlaws AND your husband feel differently, is absolutely poo poo).

I don't know the kind of relationship you have with them, but I'd have him be the bearer of no baby-news and keep the discussion to a minimum. This isn't an issue that's up for debate, these are the rules, quite simply. No shot, no baby. It sounds like you'll have to lay down the law many, many times in the future, so you might as well be firm from the start, so they'll know that you're not messing around.

Lacey
Jul 10, 2001

Guess where this lollipop's going?

Baja Mofufu posted:

I should have been clearer, but I meant to say that we know we're already going to have to confront them about their beliefs because they will not ever be allowed to watch our kid alone.
I know your pain because I'm often the peacemaker (aka the sucker) in my family and I hate to make waves. I did find, however, that having a kid really lowered my bullshit tolerance to nil. Things I would have happily let others do to me previously now fill me with white hot rage if they try it with the little Lacekin. SO MUCH RAGE. It's awesome!

And two months (or 6 weeks) really isn't long in the grand scheme. Lots of people move overseas and only see their extended family once a year if that. You can send lots of pictures and videos and even put together a early-months baby book to mail to them. Also, maybe think of it as a test case. How they respond to this will give you a good indicator of how they will treat your parenting decisions in the future. If they respect you and are interested in a developing a long-term relationship with their grandkid, they'll grin and bear it. If they piss & moan, well at least you know where things stand.

quote:

And they actually do pray in closets, if you can believe it.
I believe it! The real loons have a special designated prayer closet (à la the Duggars), thus missing the whole point.

Yeonik
Aug 23, 2010
So after 2 miscarriages prior to this pregnancy and an emergency cerclage at 20 weeks (ultrasound tech caught the shortening cervix during anatomy scan) my wife and I are waiting at the hospital for our little girl!

They removed the cerclage at 37 weeks and expected labor to start immediately and it didn't. Every week doc kept saying labor should start anytime and it didn't... effacement was at 75% at 35 weeks and has been increasing by about 5% each week. 6 cm dilation and 90% effaced and we elected to be induced a day before our due date. Doc broke water about an hour and a half ago so now I guess we just wait and see!

I'm so freakin excited!

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
That's awesome Yeonik! Good luck - we can't wait to hear the update!

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
We were able to find out the sex of our baby early. It seems that I'm having a girl! My husband had been having dreams to that effect and so is pretty pleased that he was correct. The way we found out was through a chromosomal DNA test. They took a blood sample from me and then could parse out the babies basic DNA to test for Down's Syndrome and other major chromosomal issues. All clear on that front too. We are heading to the Dr today for another appointment so as usual I'm nervous and excited.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I'm sure having a boy is amazing, and I do want a boy someday, but holy crap having a girl is just insanely awesome! Buying baby girl clothes is ridiculously fun. Enjoy and congrats!

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Sep 25, 2014

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

BonoMan posted:

I'm sure having a boy is amazing, and I do want a boy someday, but holy crap having a girl is just insanely awesome! Buying baby girl clothes is ridiculously fun.

I've been making cute girl clothes for other folks for the past year or so and it is pretty fun.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Funhilde posted:

I've been making cute girl clothes for other folks for the past year or so and it is pretty fun.

I couldn't pick out an outfit for my wife to save my life, but as soon as we found out we were having a girl... every time we were out shopping I'd come home with like 5 or 6 new outfits.

My only regret was buying too many NB outfits since we outgrew those before we could show them all off :(.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

BonoMan posted:

I couldn't pick out an outfit for my wife to save my life, but as soon as we found out we were having a girl... every time we were out shopping I'd come home with like 5 or 6 new outfits.

My only regret was buying too many NB outfits since we outgrew those before we could show them all off :(.

Yeah I've had several friends that had babies that never fit into NB size clothing. Big babies run in our family so I'm thinking it could be possible for us too.

Baja Mofufu
Feb 7, 2004

Sockmuppet posted:

100 % this. I really, really feel for you, and it's probably going to be extremely hard, but just remind yourself that the health of your baby trumphs the feelings of your completely removed from reality inlaws. At least your husband seems to be fully in agreement with you, that makes the issue way easier (having to stand your ground when your inlaws AND your husband feel differently, is absolutely poo poo).

I don't know the kind of relationship you have with them, but I'd have him be the bearer of no baby-news and keep the discussion to a minimum. This isn't an issue that's up for debate, these are the rules, quite simply. No shot, no baby. It sounds like you'll have to lay down the law many, many times in the future, so you might as well be firm from the start, so they'll know that you're not messing around.

Thanks for this advice and also to Ceridwen and sheri. Yes, I'm lucky that my husband is in total agreement and he will be the one who tells them, since we've decided to enforce the no shots no baby rule. I think I misunderstood my doctor because I thought that me getting the Tdap at ~28 weeks (or whenever they end up giving it to me) would confer more immunity on the baby than it actually does.

Lacey posted:

I know your pain because I'm often the peacemaker (aka the sucker) in my family and I hate to make waves. I did find, however, that having a kid really lowered my bullshit tolerance to nil. Things I would have happily let others do to me previously now fill me with white hot rage if they try it with the little Lacekin. SO MUCH RAGE. It's awesome!

Yeah, in general our relationship with them is pretty good because we just avoid talking to them about any controversial topics. It's really not possible to argue with someone who doesn't believe the world exists (and thus, whatever you're arguing about). We're going to get all the information about where you can go to get the shot and my husband will just tell them there's no room for argument. I think they will understand if we tell them we have to put the baby's interests first, at least.

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up

Funhilde posted:

Yeah I've had several friends that had babies that never fit into NB size clothing. Big babies run in our family so I'm thinking it could be possible for us too.

I didn't buy any NB clothes at all, especially since I had GD and my OB was constantly worried about the fat baby side-effect. I was gifted some NB outfits the day before my induction and was too lazy to exchange them; thank gently caress I didn't. My daughter is a month old and still wears NB sized clothing.

I'd recommend buying those little packs of onesies and pants to give you enough clothes for a week, just in case. Worst case scenario is you're out $15-30 depending on the brand you choose.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

1up posted:

I didn't buy any NB clothes at all, especially since I had GD and my OB was constantly worried about the fat baby side-effect. I was gifted some NB outfits the day before my induction and was too lazy to exchange them; thank gently caress I didn't. My daughter is a month old and still wears NB sized clothing.

I'd recommend buying those little packs of onesies and pants to give you enough clothes for a week, just in case. Worst case scenario is you're out $15-30 depending on the brand you choose.

I usually have some onesies at my house in various sizes. I buy them at the goodwill in white and then tie dye them with my mom. I give them out as gifts throughout the year.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

We skipped the newborn clothes and went with 0-3 monthers. They were a bit big at first but since the baby doesn't do anything other than eat, sleep, poop, and cry at that point it hardly matters if pants are a little long or a onesie is a little wide. :)

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

My husband and I were both big babies. My siblings were all big babies, and most of his were as well. Our daughter was born 2 days after her due date but was small enough she nearly needed preemie clothes and she didn't come close to fitting in 0-3 month until over a month old. I wouldn't go all out on newborn clothes but it's definitely worth having some around even if you think you'll have a big baby.

Yeonik
Aug 23, 2010
New babby born at 2:14 friday morning. 8 lbs 14 oz 22 inches, all natural first baby. My wife is a trooper!!
Gonna be in the hospital for a few more days... lost quite a bit of blood and had some tearing issues (3rd degree?).

As an aside, with the cerclage my wife was on bedrest from 20 weeks on. This thread gave her tons of reading material to help fill the time. Goood on ya, goons!

I'll upload photos when im not phone posting.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Yeonik posted:

New babby born at 2:14 friday morning. 8 lbs 14 oz 22 inches, all natural first baby. My wife is a trooper!!
Gonna be in the hospital for a few more days... lost quite a bit of blood and had some tearing issues (3rd degree?).

As an aside, with the cerclage my wife was on bedrest from 20 weeks on. This thread gave her tons of reading material to help fill the time. Goood on ya, goons!

I'll upload photos when im not phone posting.

Congratulations!

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Yay, congrats Yeonik!

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Ceridwen posted:

I wouldn't go all out on newborn clothes but it's definitely worth having some around even if you think you'll have a big baby.

Yeah, the biggest purchase-related lesson I learned from baby nr 1 is not to stock up on ANY clothes in ANY sizes, and be especially careful about clothes that are weather-dependent.

1. Babies need much fewer clothes than you think, because yes, they get various bodily fluids all over themselves and have to change their outfit several times a day, but this means that your dirty clothes pile is utterly disgusting, so you end up washing baby clothes at least once a day, so you always have plenty of clean ones. And you quickly find favourites that you tend to wear a lot. We stocked up on infant clothes, and ended up with a small pile of well used ones and a big pile of clothes that we ended up using once because we felt like we ought to, or never.

2. Babies grow at an uneven rate. We found a great deal on winter clothes, bought a bunch, and never used them, because our baby didn't fit them until the summer AFTER the winter we'd bought the clothes for, and by this winter she's outgrown them. If you plan on having 5 babies, sure, stock up, because statistically one of them is bound to fit whatever you buy at some point. But unless you live in the middle of a forest with no access to clothes stores, it's much better to wait and see and buy things when the need arises. You might not get the best deals that way, but at least you'll be sure that the clothes you buy, actually fit. I thought I'd learned my lesson, but I'm still stuck now with two pairs of sneakers that probably won't fit her until the snow comes.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
We have been offered stacks of clothing. I will likely avoid buying anything until the need arises. It is nice to be surrounded by baby having friends.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
After two miscarriages in a row (both showed no heartbeat at 8 weeks) we just got the good news on our third try. My wife has a gummy bear sized human inside her with a healthy heart and plans to come out in May.

Holy crap I am so unprepared. Where do I start?

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
Go to the movies. Go to so many movies, even bad ones.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
I am going strong at 10.5 weeks. After my missed miscarriage a few months ago I was nervous about the same thing happening this time. Had one episode of spotting at 6 weeks, promptly freaked out and thought it was all over. All was good on the ultrasound but that didn't stop me worrying since that happened last time too.

What did stop me worrying was renting a home doppler. I've been able to check the heartbeat every few days, and stop obsessing when I felt sick/not sick enough, had unusual pains or any number of stupid worries pregnant women get.

We're moving house in a week, I'll be 11.5 weeks in and we're going to tell people, since my SO's entire family will be there to help. I get a scan on my birthday, the 10th, and I actually look forward to it instead of expecting doom. Obviously I wouldn't tell everyone to get one, but the doppler has saved my drat sanity.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

After two miscarriages in a row (both showed no heartbeat at 8 weeks) we just got the good news on our third try. My wife has a gummy bear sized human inside her with a healthy heart and plans to come out in May.

Congratulations!

Big Bug Hug fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Sep 28, 2014

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Chickalicious posted:

Oh, the movies. I remember that. A long, long time ago.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Chickalicious posted:

Does this also apply to musicals?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeonik
Aug 23, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

We had 2 miscarriages in a row also - 12 weeks and 8 weeks.

If you can, go to every appointment with her. I know my wife got pretty anxious before appointments and having me there helped a bunch.