Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

I'm so loving excited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
gently caress, I want these goddamn albums.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

CHRIIIISTTTTT

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I really do want this album to just leak already. I don't think I can take another month.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

axleblaze posted:

I really do want this album to just leak already. I don't think I can take another month.

drat straight! It has been in the hands of reviewers for weeks! Since when are so many people so honest?

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What's the difference between the jewel pack and digipack versions, anyone know?

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
I want it.

Maute
Jan 15, 2009

Manuel Calavera posted:

What's the difference between the jewel pack and digipack versions, anyone know?

The digipack comes with a third disc that has the Ziltoid part of the album, minus all of the dialogue.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ahh, digipack it is then!

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Is the preorder only through the Omerch site or is there a North America option? I don't know if it would save much on shipping or make a difference. Tried searching a bit and checked the HD forum, but haven't had any luck.

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

AzureSkys posted:

Is the preorder only through the Omerch site or is there a North America option? I don't know if it would save much on shipping or make a difference. Tried searching a bit and checked the HD forum, but haven't had any luck.

Devin said on Twitter that there will be a North America pre-order starting "soon." I kinda want to say that Omerch almost always has a Devin pre-order available a few weeks before the NA pre-order.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Preordered the digital pack. The album is still more than a month away :(. He's releasing a song from each album next week sometime though,so that's something.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

a big fat bunny posted:

Devin said on Twitter that there will be a North America pre-order starting "soon." I kinda want to say that Omerch almost always has a Devin pre-order available a few weeks before the NA pre-order.

yeah I've been waiting for the NA order to have it available.. apparently this has been the NA order site - http://www.jsrdirect.com/bands/devintownsendproject so I guess keep an eye on that or his twitter/facebook page to see when it's all available for preorder

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!
I just skim-listened to Z2, there are some shining moments of pure Dev glory... You won't be disappointed.

Also, it is loving funny.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

Started on Sky Blue.

Holy poo poo, you're in for a treat!

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Are you saying there's a leak. I will try and hold out for when I know I have the final master, but...maybe just one song.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

henpod posted:

Are you saying there's a leak. I will try and hold out for when I know I have the final master, but...maybe just one song.

I checked when he posted that and it hasn't leaked.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

slogsdon posted:

I checked when he posted that and it hasn't leaked.

Yea. The canary in the coal mine is last.fm. Watch the listeners and the scrobbles. Once those numbers skyrocket, it has leaked.

I am looking forward to hearing how the universal choir worked out.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

Nope, no leak, press copy.

I am glad Dev fans are respectful enough not to leak poo poo.

That said, it'll happen sooner or later, but the files are encoded and traceable, allegedly.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Tell us more dammit, or are you not allowed?

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

I am not allowed to distribute it, but nothing about talking about it.

But that's why I am reviewing, that's 'me talking about it' I guess. It still feels like a movie in a way where I can't spoil it for you.

I will say this, though, so far in Sky Blue I have heard some musical nods/influences/coincidences to Faith No More and Killing Joke as well as some directions feeling like Peter Gabriel in scope and execution, some middle-eastern ideas also. SO far, to my mind that CD reminds me of Addicted crossed with Ocean Machine.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

SO far, to my mind that CD reminds me of Addicted crossed with Ocean Machine.

Oh god yes.

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

I will say this, though, so far in Sky Blue I have heard some musical nods/influences/coincidences to Faith No More and Killing Joke as well as some directions feeling like Peter Gabriel in scope and execution, some middle-eastern ideas also. SO far, to my mind that CD reminds me of Addicted crossed with Ocean Machine.

This CD cannot come soon enough. For what I'm into, this is looking like a good year for music releases and from what I'm hearing, this release is going to cement that fact.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

On the other hand Z2 is much more over the top, remember Vampira? Yeah, we're talking theatrical campyness. 'Deathray' is a weird mirror to that song. The narration is hilarious.
There are some monster riffs and a whole lot of attitude and don't care.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Is it heavy as balls in some places? I like Heavy Devy.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

Of course.
What is also interesting is that there are a few hell riff driven songs, though there are still plenty of complex guitar lines dominating other tracks.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
so those song releases never materialized. kind of like my pledge reward that never happened...

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

What reward was that?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
drawing of my cat

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Oven Wrangler

d3rt posted:

drawing of my cat

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Oven Wrangler

quote:

to my mind that CD reminds me of Addicted crossed with Ocean Machine.
gently caress, I'm more excited for Sky Blue than I am Z2 after hearing this.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Is addicted really compressed volume wise ? Or is this just him trying the "wall of sound" thing ?

At least the bass guitar is audible.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The answer is Devin is brilliant but he really should get someone else to mix his albums.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Oven Wrangler

axleblaze posted:

The answer is Devin is brilliant but he really should get someone else to mix his albums.

Physicist makes me disagree.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

He has got a little too comfortable with overproducing his own stuff. Look at Epicloud, it is so bloated, there is too much happening at times, there is no space. Same with Addicted.

Yes, Z2-SkyBlue suffers from that but not as bad as previous efforts, it is a little more streamlined which is great because you're not getting bombarded with noise a lot of the time.
Only a little though, he has a way to go to get it perfect, but it's still pretty good.

Z2 I think is a little simpler in parts that require it, kind of like the SYL days where the guitar did all the talking.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Addicted and Epicloud own you take that back. I also really like Synchestra so I guess I like manic-devy

e: I've been binging on devy this evening. I don't think you can say any of those albums are more over-the-top production-wise than, say, Bad Devil or the original Kingdom. He's always been like that, really - it's just that his increased cashflow has allowed him to make it clearer, rather than jam-packed together as much.

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Sep 28, 2014

SKELETONS
May 8, 2014
https://twitter.com/dvntownsend/status/516244908059799552 leaked track apparently. Also his twitter feed is alternately hilarious and alarming.

e: I think this is it? radio rip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=askdHtUOPEs please call me an idiot if this is inappropriate and i'll edit it out, but youtube seems like fair game.

SKELETONS fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Sep 28, 2014

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
That rules. The low quality radio recording kinda kills it but it is still sounding good.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
I'm weeping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

He has got a little too comfortable with overproducing his own stuff. Look at Epicloud, it is so bloated, there is too much happening at times, there is no space. Same with Addicted.

Yes, Z2-SkyBlue suffers from that but not as bad as previous efforts, it is a little more streamlined which is great because you're not getting bombarded with noise a lot of the time.
Only a little though, he has a way to go to get it perfect, but it's still pretty good.

Z2 I think is a little simpler in parts that require it, kind of like the SYL days where the guitar did all the talking.

Hope it works out - ziltoid was hard to listen to sometimes because of how compressed it was

The dfh drums felt like little tiny jackhammers in my ears and not in a good way.

Grandmaster.flv fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Sep 29, 2014

• Locked thread