Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
It wheelies in every gear because it has a 2RPM wide powerband where the oil pressure and the rod bearing slack momentarily compensate for each other and it goes from 3HP to 18HP in a quarter second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Lol, "top and bottom end".

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Needs minor work*.

* New engine frame, wheels and electrics

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

I wrecked my bike, how should I sell it? I know, take the fairings and gauges off, stick a crappy headlight on there that I can't even bother to wire properly so it keeps blowing bulbs/fuses, and take a picture of it with a potato. He has 2 separate ads, with 2 different pictures, and the other picture is just as bad.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
I got the KLR hankering. What do you guys think about the price on this?

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/mcy/4688771324.html

Lowest he's going is $4500. It has all the mods on there I would want which is nice and saves me a lot of time and effort. There's also a 2013 KLR going for $4500 and it has only 1600 miles. Not sure if all the extras are worth being 4 years older with an extra 4k miles and cosmetically a being a little worn.

quote:

2009 Red Kawasaki KLR 650 with:

5750 miles
Metzler Tourance Dual Sport tires with 2100 miles on them (front and back - Currently mounted)
Dunlop D606's with 1200 miles on them (front & back - as seen in the photographs)
HD and Xtreme HD extra Inner Tubes (already installed) and two more still new in boxes
High Output LED tail light and headlight
Sargent aftermarket seat
Eagle Mike Bar risers
Eagle Mike Fork Brace
KLR Dash
KLR Dash windscreen adjustable risers
Zero Gravity Sport Shield
Pre-wired for accessories (ie: heated gear, etc.)
Pre-wired for Battery Tender
New Yuasa Battery
Clymer Shop Manual
Honda 650 metal bearclaw foot pegs (oem ones are included)
IMS HD extended shifter lever (oem shifter included)
Happy Trails Centerstand
Happy Trails Highway footpegs
Aluminum Front Bash Plate
Aluminum Bottom Bash plate
Brake master cylinder armor
Nerf Bars by Twisted Throttle / Happy Trails
Barkbuster Hand Guards (oem ones are included)

Luggage:
Wolfman Deluxe Tankbag
Wolfman Deluxe Side saddlebags
Wolfman side armor / luggage racks

Everything that needs to be purchased for the KLR already has been. Oil changed every 500 miles with mobile1. Clean title. A few adventure scratches here and there but nothing serious. A solid bike that's ready to rock. No test rides without cash in hand.

The oil change every 500 miles seems weird. He's either obsessive, lying, or something is seriously hosed with this bike. Maybe it was a typo.

Anyway, I really want this bike. So many cool places to explore in the Portland area.

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

I do not avoid women, but I do deny them my essence.

I'm not sure what to think of this Fuel Pump problem and the reduced selling price which "is negotiable." A 2010 bike for less than $2K?

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/mcy/4687718015.html

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Because it is made of something with less structural integrity than brie, and he is most likely just trying to get it out of the garage before it kills him. Not from riding, just from being too close when whatever magic Chinese spell still holding that thing together breaks and the bike explodes into a million pieces.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

iwentdoodie posted:

Because it is made of something with less structural integrity than brie, and he is most likely just trying to get it out of the garage before it kills him. Not from riding, just from being too close when whatever magic Chinese spell still holding that thing together breaks and the bike explodes into a million pieces.

But that's a Korean bike.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

hayden. posted:

The oil change every 500 miles seems weird. He's either obsessive, lying, or something is seriously hosed with this bike. Maybe it was a typo.

That sounds about right for what the FSM and owner's manual would recommend. I think for my bike, it's actually every 300 miles. Given the mods, it sounds like a 55 year old dentist or something who doesn't adventure as much as he thought he would, but took good care of his bike. I don't think every 500 miles is out of the realm of possibility. Not really necessary, but not too crazy.

Uncle Ivan
Aug 31, 2001
I think you're off by a 0. That being said, oil change every 500 miles is reasonable if you ride 500 miles a year.

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.

Uncle Ivan posted:

I think you're off by a 0. That being said, oil change every 500 miles is reasonable if you ride 500 miles a year.
Seriously. I'm pretty sure both my bikes have 6000-mile intervals in the manuals. Might actually change the oil sooner than that pretty often, but every 500?

I'd like to convince one of my friends to get a Hyosung. Not one of those things there, but a GT650R maybe. Just to get to ride it and see if it's any good at all without having to spend my own money.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
If you look at Hyosungs in person you can pretty easily see the parts that make you go "yeah this was made in China" or whatever other country that sucks at making motorcycles. It isn't very confidence inspiring. It's like the Harbor Freight of motorcycles. Their stuff works and it's cheap, but it's Harbor Freight.

I did the math on that KLR above and it's over $2000 in accessories (new). Even if you cut it in half for being used, it means the bike is only $3500 (the other $1000 being the accessories). I was so close to buying yesterday but I convinced myself not to because I'm not going to be able to do any fun, long trips on it any time soon and I'll be moving cross country in less than a year and would have to sell it then anyway.

hayden. fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Sep 30, 2014

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

hayden. posted:

If you look at Hyosungs in person you can pretty easily see the parts that make you go "yeah this was made in China" or whatever other country that sucks at making motorcycles. It isn't very confidence inspiring. It's like the Harbor Freight of motorcycles. Their stuff works and it's cheap, but it's Harbor Freight.

You guys keep throwing around "made in China". I get the point that you mean it is of low build quality, but 5 seconds on your favorite search engine would tell you that it's a South Korean company.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
whoops

hot sauce fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Sep 30, 2014

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

MetaJew posted:

You guys keep throwing around "made in China". I get the point that you mean it is of low build quality, but 5 seconds on your favorite search engine would tell you that it's a South Korean company.

I believe a brother said "or whatever other country that sucks at making motorcycles," under which umbrella I'm sure either of the Koreas would fall.

Do things fall under umbrellas?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

captainOrbital posted:

Do things fall under umbrellas?

As a resident of the Pacific northwest, I can say with authority that rain does not fall under umbrellas. Other things: indeterminate.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Thoughts?

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/mcy/4693508559.html

Seems like a pretty good deal to me... I'd probably have to tow it cause of the speedo/odo sensor, but that's nbd.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Why? Just ride it, follow the flow of traffic. Good deal with the mods though.

Also probably just a crappy install job on the speedo/odo sensor with the GSX_R front end is why it's broken.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Registration issues when the odo or whatever is off, I had a friend in the same situation who ended up having trouble registering it here. But then again, not sure how the DMV would even know, might have just misunderstood that friend.

Gonna go check it out anyway, probably.

M42 fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Oct 1, 2014

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

What they don't know won't hurt 'em.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

M42 posted:

Registration issues when the odo or whatever is off, I had a friend in the same situation who ended up having trouble registering it here. But then again, not sure how the DMV would even know, might have just misunderstood that friend.

As long as it has more miles than it did last time they got an odo reading you should be ok.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

M42 posted:

Pretty sure we are currently looking up the same bikes on CL. You definitely going with an SV?

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
OH poo poo it's an SV650 battle in the swamp where our nation was born!

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/mcy/4689471432.html

GO!

(ed: Weirdly, this one looks like it has floral-print contact paper all over it for some odd reason, so looks like it's all you m42)

captainOrbital fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Oct 2, 2014

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Just loled at that one. There ain't enough goon bikes in this town for the both of us! My search actually includes Honda 599 and fz6s as well, so hopefully we won't have to fight to the death.

Also I'd rock the poo poo out of that floral bike :)

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

hayden. posted:

I'm fully aware they're not made in China, but having worked on a few Hyosungs, I can confirm the above. The general impression they give is that some mid/low level industrial corporation's CEO said to his underlings, "Let's make a bike. Make me a bike." And they made a bike and showed it to him and the CEO said, "Is it a bike? OK good, sell it."

M42
Nov 12, 2012

hot sauce posted:

Pretty sure we are currently looking up the same bikes on CL. You definitely going with an SV?

Yeah, I mean, can't really go wrong with an SV!

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

M42 posted:

Thoughts?

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/mcy/4693508559.html

Seems like a pretty good deal to me... I'd probably have to tow it cause of the speedo/odo sensor, but that's nbd.

What's with the black frame?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

PO had it powdercoated black.

e. 12 track days though. I'm thinking it'd be irresponsible financially to buy this right now, so one of you DC goons get it.

M42 fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Oct 2, 2014

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

Anything to look out for on this?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/4691903521.html

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I've only been looking at local DRZ's for a couple weeks, but this looks like a pretty solid deal if all the additional stuff they list comes at the asking price.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/4689013548.html

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Carb leaks, you don't want to have to do carb work on that guy. Those are really cool little bikes when they're running right, but their care and feeding bill tends to add up fast. V30s were a really short run so parts can be hard to get. We never found a speedo for my wife's for anything less than $crazy.

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

clutchpuck posted:

Carb leaks, you don't want to have to do carb work on that guy. Those are really cool little bikes when they're running right, but their care and feeding bill tends to add up fast. V30s were a really short run so parts can be hard to get. We never found a speedo for my wife's for anything less than $crazy.

Ah, drat. I suppose that's the catch.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

clutchpuck posted:

He's right. Unless you have a particular love for these, or are masochistic, the juice isn't worth the squeeze.
That being said, after a bit of practice (and luck) I find I have no trouble working on these bikes or finding affordable parts.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

the juice isn't worth the squeeze.

Excellent. Also: too much sugar for a dime.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Slim Pickens posted:

I've only been looking at local DRZ's for a couple weeks, but this looks like a pretty solid deal if all the additional stuff they list comes at the asking price.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/4689013548.html

Related, I came across this the other day, but I have no idea what an "S" is worth, can really only find the more expensive SM's for sale (or on completed eBay auctions).

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
A friend of mine wants to buy this 625 SMC on CL (he just wants to outdo my 530!)

http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/mcy/4701298511.html

I was just wondering if it was a goon's. He wants to haggle it down closer to KBB. I told him it's not likely.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

The statement about 'having supplies to change the oil, will include' is really odd.

That bike should have oil changes all the time, 1500 miles or so. Hopefully he means a case of oil filters (when I sold my YZ250F, I handed 20+ oil filters to the next owner).

That said those are sweet bikes. I'd try to get it for 3200. He wont sell that in a hurry this time of year.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Randakk's supercharged GL1000 is up for sale:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161445285287

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

ChewedFood posted:

A friend of mine wants to buy this 625 SMC on CL (he just wants to outdo my 530!)

http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/mcy/4701298511.html

I was just wondering if it was a goon's. He wants to haggle it down closer to KBB. I told him it's not likely.

Price is WAY too high. And there are a number if issues to watch out for. I wouldn't do it, or recommend it. Maybe for $2k and it's perfect.