Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Quantum Finger posted:

So I should honk to say hi? I'm so confused. Maybe I should just fire a warning shot, as a compromise.

A double toot followed by a big wave is always appropriate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Don't take the ferry over here, just stay on the island. You already achieved Bainbridge, there's no need for you to come swanning over here to lord it over us. Just stay there.

e: Also, just because it rains all the time, please under no circumstances assume that people know how to drive in the rain especially if it has not rained in a week or more. We just thought it would stop raining forever and put track tires on our cars.

woke wedding drone fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Sep 28, 2014

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

It will snow two, maybe three days per year. These days are basically the apocalypse, at least to locals. If you're not in too remote of an area, the roads will be passable if you're patient.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
It really ruins things that it happens so infrequently--the local govt won't have very many resources to deal with the problem. Seattle is a little better at it than Portland, but Seattle has more hills to make the problem worse.

3:00 in for the good part: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rhZCyQ3emQg

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Bob Socko posted:

It will snow two, maybe three days per year. These days are basically the apocalypse, at least to locals. If you're not in too remote of an area, the roads will be passable if you're patient.
If it sticks, there will be maybe half an inch in the morning, commuting will be horrible, and then by noon the rain will have washed it away. Actual snow like in the post above comes like once every few years.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

SedanChair posted:

Don't take the ferry over here, just stay on the island. You already achieved Bainbridge, there's no need for you to come swanning over here to lord it over us. Just stay there.

e: Also, just because it rains all the time, please under no circumstances assume that people know how to drive in the rain especially if it has not rained in a week or more. We just thought it would stop raining forever and put track tires on our cars.

This is always the best, love going 30 on the freeway because its wet. Rain is not ice people. I blame it on people who move from Texas.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Welcome to the Area! Allow me to inform you of some of the politics that may not actually be immediately obvious, but you can of course call me vicious names like latte drinker if I'm wrong.

There is a joke amongst the local governments around here that it's not King County, it's the State of King County, being the most well funded and powerful county in the state they both believe themselves to have a mandate to do things as they wish and generally the influence and resources to actually do it.

There are several tiers of hierarchy in the Puget sound area Seattle believes it the center of the universe, which from all things spring. Once you get about 30 miles away from Seattle in any direction you will find that things are not the same, the suburbia has two types in this area, well meaning polite yuppies and yuppies who believe the small acre of land they have carved out in their planned community entitles them to ignore the rest of humanity indefinitely.

You will quickly become acquainted with the concept of Teriyaki shops, some are franchised others are one offs, but you can tell the quality of a place by their Yakisoba, Spicy Chicken and Gyoza (pot stickers). Good Teriyaki places generally have at least decent tables to sit at. Other PNW goons I'm sure may have some other food suggestions but that is definitely a more West Coast thing that as far as I know the average Californian isn't familiar with yet.

Republicans exist here, but not in the way that the rest of the country seems to experience them, they're more libertarian types, and the right wing doesn't seem to be as religious, one of the biggest mega churches in the area seems to be crumbling. Of course if you go east of the mountains all bets are off and you're on your own.

RuanGacho fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Sep 28, 2014

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Chantilly Say posted:

It really ruins things that it happens so infrequently--the local govt won't have very many resources to deal with the problem. Seattle is a little better at it than Portland, but Seattle has more hills to make the problem worse.

Something about the ground temp seems to make it worse in Seattle, like a couple inches of snow can make it undriveable whereas I never say that in CA or OR. The bottom turns to ice quick in Seattle even when it doesnt feel that cold.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

FRINGE posted:

The bottom turns to ice quick in Seattle even when it doesnt feel that cold.

TBH this happens in Oregon too, it's just so far down the list of "reasons everybody loses their goddamn minds at the sight of snow." that it doesn't get brought up as often.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Eat as much barbeque as you can before you leave Texas. There is no good BBQ in the entire PNW, and certainly no good Texas style BBQ. The only stuff you'll find is sickly sweet Kansas City crap that's drowning in sauce.

You will be completely enraged and perplexed by people driving exactly the speed limit and even up to 10 under it on the highway. This is normal and in time you will do the same.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Error 404 posted:

TBH this happens in Oregon too, it's just so far down the list of "reasons everybody loses their goddamn minds at the sight of snow." that it doesn't get brought up as often.

Yah, driving in the snow isn't hard. Driving on a sheet of lumpy ice with a dusting of snow on it is what leads to everyone crashing into everything.

Part of it is that the temperature swings in and out of freezing through the day. We just don't get those weeks of steady below freezing temperatures like the inland states. So the snow will melt and refreeze, and the slush on the roads tuns to solid ice.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

mod sassinator posted:

Eat as much barbeque as you can before you leave Texas. There is no good BBQ in the entire PNW, and certainly no good Texas style BBQ. The only stuff you'll find is sickly sweet Kansas City crap that's drowning in sauce.

The secret to good BBQ up here is that it will never be found in a restaurant here. The folks who know what's up tend to keep it at home.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Chantilly Say posted:

It was insane in 2008, craziest weather we had here in a generation. Two weeks around 17 degrees with ~2-3 feet of accumulation isn't a normal thing. My entire company just stayed home, and while the main office objected at first, they relented and we basically got a free week of vacation.

Mrit fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Sep 28, 2014

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

Mrit posted:

It was insane in 2008, craziest weather we had here in a generation. Two weeks around 17 degrees with ~2-3 feet of accumulation isn't a normal thing. My entire company just stayed home, and while the main office objected at first, they relented and we basically got a free week of vacation.

Last time it snowed hard and stuck around I got stuck on a bus on I-5, took me 8 hours to get from Seattle to Renton.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

ElBrak posted:

Last time it snowed hard and stuck around I got stuck on a bus on I-5, took me 8 hours to get from Seattle to Renton.

I wasn't around in 2008, but last February was kind of amazing. Five inches of snow shut portland down for five days. Apparently, this town only has two snow plows, which, given that most snow melts in under an hour, I guess makes sense.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

Error 404 posted:

The secret to good BBQ up here is that it will never be found in a restaurant here. The folks who know what's up tend to keep it at home.

What you don't like ketchup soaked tire rubber!?

We more than make up for our poorly cooked beef/pork with our excellent uncooked seafood.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

SedanChair posted:

:mad: hey I like to slum it sometimes, I have to know how to fit in with the locals. I don't do umbrellas and I have experienced the roving eye-pokers of seattle sidewalks, so I think I might be able to pull this off. The only thing I need now is a dress hoodie for special occasions.

mod sassinator posted:

oxbrain posted:

What you don't like ketchup soaked tire rubber!?

We more than make up for our poorly cooked beef/pork with our excellent uncooked seafood.

As terrible a person as this makes me, I don't like BBQ much. All I want is to cram a raw salmon in my face, head first. I'm sure, however, once the option is no longer available, that all I'll want is a rack of ribs three times a day.

mod sassinator posted:

You will be completely enraged and perplexed by people driving exactly the speed limit and even up to 10 under it on the highway. This is normal and in time you will do the same.

DEATH FIRST

:) Thanks for the advice, guys. Except for the thing where you don't make friends, apparently, sounds great.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
If you go to Portland there's a good Texas BBQ food cart on the east side. Road Runner, 52nd/Foster. Get the chicken.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!
Every hoodie is a dress hoodie up here.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

Quantum Finger posted:

The only thing I need now is a dress hoodie for special occasions.

Don't forget the Birkenstocks and wool socks.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Error 404 posted:

This is pretty true. I have a friend who's family moved up here when he was 12 from Texas (his dad works for Intel and got transferred to the DuPont branch). His dad despised the fact that there were no good BBQ places so he created his own BBQ catering company as a weekend hobby. His brisket sandwiches are delicious and you can't really find anything like it in this state.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Monica Wehby, the Republican candidate for US Senate running against Jeff Merkley, requested an interview with the Willamette Week scheduled today. She didn't show up.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

mod sassinator posted:

Caveman Kitchens can be good if you ask for sauce on the side. All their meat is just straight up salted/brined and smoked in a huge wood-burning pit. Really good sandwiches too.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Quantum Finger posted:

Except for the thing where you don't make friends, apparently, sounds great.
:Seattle:

Schwack posted:

Every hoodie is a dress hoodie up here.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

oxbrain posted:

Carrying an umbrella is like carrying a sign saying "I don't belong here."

This is how we spot non-natives in Oregon. Also wearing swim suits at the beach will similarly mark you as someone who has never been to the coast before.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos
As a Washington native temporarily displaced in Austin, my tips to you driving up there are:
1) Use your turn signal.
2) Frontage roads either don't exist or don't function as they do in Texas. Related to that, nothing has a street address of IH-5 or IH-90.
3) When someone lets you in, wave back.

Somewhat driving related, but where the cardinal direction of an address is put depends on if it is a Street or an Avenue. Of course, someone has explained this in a Wiki page. This gives you things like SE 272nd Street and 260th Avenue SE.

...and avoid the BBQ. People there will say they know a really good BBQ place. They don't.

FRINGE posted:

Also the endless parade of medical marijuana shops and ads will seem weird I bet (since youre coming from TX).
Instead, at least in Austin, we just have a ton of ads for strip clubs.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Don't expect street names or order to make any sort of sense; the numbering thing is more of a guideline.

Also, I'll give you the same warning I give everyone moving here from the South: if you have a Southern accent, people are going to drop their estimate of your IQ by about 30 points. Most the people I know who moved here made a point of losing it, but you can always take the "gently caress the Man" approach and fly that Southern flag proud.

If you're living on Bainbridge, your Seattle social life is going to be ruled by the ferries. You have to make sure you're on time for that last ferry or getting home is a goddamn nightmare. And if you aren't married with a kid, there's a good chance your social life will be in Seattle (assuming you want a social life).

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Also you may be used to this from Texas, but the voters here are FYGM assholes that vote down almost any tax increase because they're temporarily embarassed millionaires. Thank microsoft, etc for that attitude. This will lower funding for ferries and roads, etc that you'll need if you're on Bainbridge, yet you'll buy into the propaganda and blame urbans for wasting the state coffers and the problem will continue.

I heard on the radio today that Inslee wants to try that bottle tax again, the one voters killed the same year it was instututed, a few years ago. Of course we could always just create an income tax to close our funding loopholes...

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
Increase taxes on beer, pizza, coffee, and bicycles.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I'm from Memphis TN. People here are friendly as long as you start the conversation. The Seattle freeze is complete bullshit if you have the ability to start a conversation. Don't expect people to start one with you.

I love this place. It's been 9 years and I can't imagine there's a better place to live in America. So many trees. Never too hot. Snow to play in if I want to drive for it. Politics aren't heavily soaked in church bullshit which is really the best.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

FRINGE posted:

Increase taxes on the wealthy.

Fixed.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

effectual posted:

Of course we could always just create an income tax to close our funding loopholes...

Don't believe this guy. Income tax is just a seattle plot to add a new tax so they can jack up the tax rates on us hard working real washingtonians. :argh:

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

oxbrain posted:

Don't believe this guy. Income tax is just a seattle plot to add a new tax so they can jack up the tax rates on us hard working real washingtonians. :argh:

About 51% of the State legislature actually believes this, thus our being unable to accomplish anything worth doing for several years now.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

effectual posted:

Also you may be used to this from Texas, but the voters here are FYGM assholes that vote down almost any tax increase because they're temporarily embarassed millionaires. Thank microsoft, etc for that attitude. This will lower funding for ferries and roads, etc that you'll need if you're on Bainbridge, yet you'll buy into the propaganda and blame urbans for wasting the state coffers and the problem will continue.

That's depressing. I was hoping to escape the FYGM thing. As a rich bainbridge snob I fully support raising taxes on rich snobs.

Tigntink posted:

I'm from Memphis TN. People here are friendly as long as you start the conversation. The Seattle freeze is complete bullshit if you have the ability to start a conversation. Don't expect people to start one with you.

I love this place. It's been 9 years and I can't imagine there's a better place to live in America. So many trees. Never too hot. Snow to play in if I want to drive for it. Politics aren't heavily soaked in church bullshit which is really the best.

Oh, I can start conversations. That makes me feel a little better. Also less church bullshit is better. Trees. Cool breezes. Snow. Mountains. Water. Clouds...

Thanatosian posted:

Don't expect street names or order to make any sort of sense; the numbering thing is more of a guideline.

Also, I'll give you the same warning I give everyone moving here from the South: if you have a Southern accent, people are going to drop their estimate of your IQ by about 30 points. Most the people I know who moved here made a point of losing it, but you can always take the "gently caress the Man" approach and fly that Southern flag proud.

If you're living on Bainbridge, your Seattle social life is going to be ruled by the ferries. You have to make sure you're on time for that last ferry or getting home is a goddamn nightmare. And if you aren't married with a kid, there's a good chance your social life will be in Seattle (assuming you want a social life).

I don't have an accent, but I can fake one pretty well. Might do that just to gently caress with people. And I'm married with a kid, so basically my social life is destined to revolve around soccer practices and knitting circles. I'm okay with this.

The FYGM-ism is bumming me the hell out, honestly. From my forays to the PNW it doesn't seem half as bad as the festering FYGM infection in Texas, but I guess now I get to find out. Like, that poo poo is one of the myriad reasons Texas sucks. I suppose the PNW still has the weather and landscape and general attitude going for it, but I disapprove of this blight on the face of an otherwise great part of the country. Fix that poo poo before I get there on Sunday, ok?

Strep Vote fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Sep 30, 2014

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

oxbrain posted:

Come now, that's what Washingtonians want!

Just look at what they've done:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Quantum Finger posted:

Also less church bullshit is better.
If you're looking for Seattle-area church bullshit, do a couple news searches for Mars Hill.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
This place is an enlightened atheist utopia compared to The South. Mars Hill is just the exception that proves the rule.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Quantum Finger posted:

The FYGM-ism is bumming me the hell out, honestly.

Dont be too bummed, we're nothing like the south. Aside from a few issues, like taxes, we are actually pretty good. We're just not as progressive as we like to claim.

And a lot of the disconnect is the huge cultural differences between the puget sound region and the rest of the state.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Tim loving Burgess is the worst. The SPD burns a million dollars in excess payments to a passel of cops, and it's all Mike McGinn's fault, he can't believe the complete lack of oversight! It's shocking, and not one cop should be held responsible, just Mike McGinn!

I loving hate Tim Burgess, and I hope the new district elections knock him out of his seat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

anthonypants posted:

If you're looking for Seattle-area church bullshit, do a couple news searches for Mars Hill.

If you think Mars Hill is anything compared to hosed up southern churches I've got some land to sell you. Imagine having 10 Mars Hills per city and literally all your neighborhood goes to one or more of them. The first question out of people's mouth is "which church do you go to?" pastors in the south will unapologetically tell their congregations how to vote. And the congregation takes it seriously.

This isn't socialist utopia but it's the closest you'll find in the US next to Vermont.

• Locked thread