Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I'm incredibly jealous of your job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I haven't seen trading cards in quite a while. Is it standard for the players to have a white glow around them like that, I guess to make them stand out?

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

DJExile posted:

I haven't seen trading cards in quite a while. Is it standard for the players to have a white glow around them like that, I guess to make them stand out?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the designers there are on crack.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Tonight's handegg:

This is the visiting team from last week, at home. I wasn't kidding about their lovely lights, had to go all the way to HI-2 (ISO 25600). Still looks better than the OG D1/D1x at 1600.

This is the one in the print edition, our team's dude getting squeezed like a tube of toothpaste because they lost. If our team had won, they'd probably have used the defense shot that I led with.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

First time shooting a sporting event of any kind.

5B4A8504 by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

5B4A8560 by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

5B4A8630 by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

5B4A8674 by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

5B4A8747 by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

[quote="Bubbacub" post="435181209"]

5B4A8630 by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

This would definitely make the cut for deadline work.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
Yes. That one nails it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Bubbacub posted:

That is a loving fantastic job for your first time with it, seriously. The 3rd is phenomenal.

Delivery McGee posted:

Tonight's handegg:

Your first is a good moment but it's killing me to not see the ball carrier's eyes. The 3rd is a good moment. The 4th isn't terrible but the noise is just overwhelming. I know there isn't a lot you can do in those situations though.

E: This and next weekend, Dakana and I get to get buried in mud and destroy our knees and backs for the sake of shooting people in the mud! :toot:

DJExile fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Sep 23, 2014

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007
I've lugged my camera and gear to every event, but ended up just bombing hills the entire time and never taking photos. I sat out a few runs this time and got a some snaps. I was working with following the subject and dragging the shutter a little to capture the speed in the shot.

I had forgotten how much fun it is to shoot downhill events. It's definitely a different feel and approach to my normal studio work. These are actually the first photos I've taken outside of work in quite awhile. Taking photos for photos sake feels pretty drat good again.

Anyway, let me know what you think. I rarely shoot action but would love to start doing more of it. I'd like to use a flash with remote trigger next time in order to lighten up the shadows and not have it be so contrasty.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

This one is really nice. I get much more of a sense of speed in this one than the other ones.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Geektox posted:

This one is really nice. I get much more of a sense of speed in this one than the other ones.

Yeah, they're all pretty good but this is the best of the group.

Also that tricycle thing looks fun as hell

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007
Thanks! I don't really know what the best way to shoot action. I was first using center point focus and trying to recompose the shot but that didn't work at all with how fast they were moving. I then changed the focus point a little bit to the upper right so the subject wouldn't be on center and followed them using continuous focus and spraying shots. I got way better results this way.

Those who normally shoot action, how do you go about it? Follow the subject and do the composition/crop in post?

e: I've got that trike and another hanging up in my garage now. If you're ever in Portland, OR and want to play, send a message.

Rest of the shots that made the cut can be found here:

https://www.imgur.com/a/450Uu/

ant mouth fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Sep 23, 2014

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's what I do at auto races, pull back on the zoom a little bit and fix composition in post. It's nice when you don't have to, but there's a lot going on when you're trying to capture that sort of action. Putting off composition until later takes one thing off your workload and lets you pay more attention to stuff you can't fix later, like a smooth pan.

I'm not sure about adjusting focus points, I do fine using the center point but there is some logic to choosing an outer point if it makes framing easier.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ant mouth posted:

Those who normally shoot action, how do you go about it? Follow the subject and do the composition/crop in post?

I generally shoot center point and crop for composition in post. I don't want to miss a shot because I'm worrying too much about the composition of it out of camera. It's also more instinctive when you have to make a quick movement for something you didn't anticipate. You go middle focus point and you miss because you couldn't get it right on the other point.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

DJExile posted:

That is a loving fantastic job for your first time with it, seriously. The 3rd is phenomenal.

Thanks! I'd never really bothered mucking around much with the autofocus features on the 5d3 before, I was amazed at how well it could track moving bikes. The 70-300L with IS mode 2 was also awesome.

Here are a couple of shots from the men's race.
5B4A8976 by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

5B4A8990 by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

That :patriot: outfit is the best loving thing

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Shot another women's MTB clinic this summer. I was out of practice going into it and it showed. Got a few I liked well enough, at least.

20140726-_MG_7722 by wallofinsanity, on Flickr

20140726-_MG_7916 by wallofinsanity, on Flickr

20140727-_MG_8192 by wallofinsanity, on Flickr

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Her expression on that second one is awesome. Should give her a copy so she can hang it on her wall.

Shame about the focus. :smith:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

xzzy posted:

Her expression on that second one is awesome. Should give her a copy so she can hang it on her wall.

Seriously this is hilarious and I love it

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
I'm thinking about experimenting with shutter speeds when shooting association football. Usually I'm shooting 1/1000 or 1/800, but I think I want try slower speeds like 1/250 (and slower) and add some panning to the shots.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I'm army so mtbi is mild traumatic brain injury. Is this that or an acronym for mountain bike? I've never seen it outside in the "real world."

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

Soulex posted:

I'm army so mtbi is mild traumatic brain injury. Is this that or an acronym for mountain bike? I've never seen it outside in the "real world."

It's often used in the sports world and yes, it is an acronym for mountain bike.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

krisia run by dshenphotos, on Flickr

Don't normally do a lot of sports, but I got this snap at my classmates IM football game.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

hi liter posted:

krisia run by dshenphotos, on Flickr

Don't normally do a lot of sports, but I got this snap at my classmates IM football game.

Looks a bit flat/underexposed, at least on my monitors. I'll leave it to somebody else to explain how to fix it. And the framing leaves something to be desired -- the old adage "two faces and a ball" holds true for every sport. No offense intended, but when I get shots like that I immediately delete them. It'd be nice as a vertical cropped to just the ball-carrier's upper body (she's got a great expression), but as presented ... if I submitted that to the newspaper, the sports editor would beat me with his cane.

Friday Night Lights:

Surprisingly decent lights, though they had a slow-rear end flicker -- one out of every three frames holding the button down was underexposed. For outdoor sports, you kinda have to live with what you've got.

For basketball, on the other hand, put studio strobes in the corners and a pocketwizard on your hot shoe. Or just use your anemic built-in flash to trigger somebody else's strobes in the corners :v:.

azathosk posted:

I'm thinking about experimenting with shutter speeds when shooting association football. Usually I'm shooting 1/1000 or 1/800, but I think I want try slower speeds like 1/250 (and slower) and add some panning to the shots.

Soccer? Yeah, that doesn't work so well. I tried it once. I can't provide an example, because the result was too poo poo to bother with. You can pan with racecars/bikes, but people running have an up-and-down vector as well, so it doesn't work out unless you catch a sprinter mid-stride.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Delivery McGee posted:

Looks a bit flat/underexposed, at least on my monitors. I'll leave it to somebody else to explain how to fix it. And the framing leaves something to be desired -- the old adage "two faces and a ball" holds true for every sport. No offense intended, but when I get shots like that I immediately delete them. It'd be nice as a vertical cropped to just the ball-carrier's upper body (she's got a great expression), but as presented ... if I submitted that to the newspaper, the sports editor would beat me with his cane.

Haha, ouch. Well as I said I don't do a lot of sports stuff, good to know that theres a lot of room for improvement.

defense by dshenphotos, on Flickr

ups by dshenphotos, on Flickr

These were shot on a Fuji X100S. Both have been straitened/cropped in Lightroom.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

hi liter posted:

Haha, ouch. Well as I said I don't do a lot of sports stuff, good to know that theres a lot of room for improvement.

These were shot on a Fuji X100S. Both have been straitened/cropped in Lightroom.

The first one here is damned nice. I'd personally crop it a bit tighter (crop down to the two main guys and their shadows, leave out the guy in the green shirt), but it's good.

The other one, not so much. Wide shots of sports very rarely work, the exception being, like, the running back busting through the line. I could see that one being used in a photo essay about street ball/that group, but it doesn't work as a standalone "sports photo", y'know?

The X100 is a great street camera, looks to be in the style of the old-school rangefinders, but for sports you really need an SLR the size of your head and a long lens. I applaud you for doing as well as you did with what you have -- what's the framerate on that thing? If nothing else, you know when to push the button. My D7000 does 6fps and feels slow as gently caress (compared to the paper's D2s I used to use, that did 11fps and the buffer never filled up. Everything else about it sucked a pile of dicks, but I always got the shot of the baseball coming off the bat.)

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

The X100S can do 6fps bursts. My SD card isn't that fast though, which is annoying. And thanks for the feedback.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Had a weird issue today. Was shooting my 70D indoors and I had it on one shot. Realized my mistake and put it on AI servo. FPS went down significantly. Is this a known issue or working as intended. Same with AI focus.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Sorry for repeating some old viewpoints, but I'm just catching up with this thread.

This is definitely your best of the set. If it were me, I would've cropped in from the left enough to get rid of the mostly cut off biker at the far edge of the frame. It'd clean up the whole frame.

This is for sure your best of what you posted, primarily because of the subject's separation from the background. Nice job panning, too. You might rethink the crop, so that the subject isn't in the front third of the frame without any super interesting background elements to justify the space behind him.

hi liter posted:

In what world have these been straightened? That overly tilted effect very rarely works well for sports action photos. I agree with Delivery McGee on the crop suggestion, as well as the fact that this would be at home in a general essay, but not so great as a standalone sports action attempt.

-------------

I haven't shared in a couple weeks, so here's a grab bag of what I've been up to somewhat recently, a mixture of high school and college stuff.

^ This was a strip sack, pretty major play, ran front of the sports section.

e:

Soulex posted:

Had a weird issue today. Was shooting my 70D indoors and I had it on one shot. Realized my mistake and put it on AI servo. FPS went down significantly. Is this a known issue or working as intended. Same with AI focus.

Check your custom functions. I don't know about that camera specifically, but Canon bodies usually allow you to set a preference to prioritize framerate over focus confirmation or vice versa. Stick with AI servo for sports action.

BobTheCow fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Sep 29, 2014

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Ooh, look at you being all fancy and shooting football in daylight.

What sport is that with the cheerleader outfits and wire goggles? Lacrosse?

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Delivery McGee posted:

Ooh, look at you being all fancy and shooting football in daylight.

What sport is that with the cheerleader outfits and wire goggles? Lacrosse?

Hahaha I didn't even think about that. About 75% of the sports I've shot in the past two weeks have been at night under lights, and not at all surprisingly, most of those didn't make the cut. Womp womp.

That last photo is field hockey. The most confounding sport. Whistles for days.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

BobTheCow posted:

That last photo is field hockey. The most confounding sport. Whistles for days.

I broadcast it once in a while for a local station and yeah, it's just brutal.

I have a bunch of poo poo from the Spartan Race that Dakana and I shot over the weekend and I'll try to get a few up soon but I have something around 40,000+ to go through :gonk:

Also Dakana get your rear end in here and post the ones you took with your 12mm at night because they owned

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Delivery McGee posted:

Friday Night Lights:

Jesus, dude. I mean, the compositions and action is pretty decent but as some point the gear starts really holding you back. What are you shooting these on?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Shot indoors last night and holy gently caress you guys weren't kidding about how hard it is. Had to scrap reach for clarity and shot from my 60 macro. I'll post some pics up later when I get done with them.

That sigma 120-300 can't come soon enough.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Soulex posted:

Shot indoors last night and holy gently caress you guys weren't kidding about how hard it is. Had to scrap reach for clarity and shot from my 60 macro. I'll post some pics up later when I get done with them.

That sigma 120-300 can't come soon enough.

Here's the scary part: even at f/2.8, you're still not guaranteed to be fast enough, depending on the sport and lighting.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

dakana posted:

Jesus, dude. I mean, the compositions and action is pretty decent but as some point the gear starts really holding you back. What are you shooting these on?

For real. These would be fantastic if the shutter speed was 2 stops faster and the noise didn't turn the faces to mush. Its rare that you see skill overtake gear these days, but this looks like a prime example.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

DJExile posted:

Here's the scary part: even at f/2.8, you're still not guaranteed to be fast enough, depending on the sport and lighting.

Yeah, I was editing them and a lot got scrapped. Holy poo poo

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Soulex posted:

Yeah, I was editing them and a lot got scrapped. Holy poo poo

Yeah, with sports shooting you're going to scrap a ton even in great lighting. That's just the way things are. With bad lighting you're going to scrap even more. In some hockey games I'd take 3-400 photos and maybe have 8-10 that I really honestly liked.

That being said, bear in mind that Sports Illustrated will send like 12 photographers to the Super Bowl, they'll each take thousands of pictures, and of those about 50 will make an online gallery and maybe 10 will make the magazine. You're taking really fast bursts of shots and praying that one in the burst might (might!) look just right. It's really tough because there are so many variables that are out of your control, or are really hard to predict.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
Going to try out two cameras on Sunday. One with my trusty 70-200 (I haven't got around to buy the 120-300 yet) and my 7D with a 8mm fisheye. The project is to trigger the 7D with my 5D3 through the Phottix Strato II-set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnien
Jul 4, 2003
Champion of the World!!!
Sorry to dumb up this thread with :derp: but I wanted to get some suggestions from non-reddit sources. My girlfriend shoots a lot of rock climbing photography and is looking to replace her current setup. Her budget is in the $1000 range (for body+lens, though this is negotiable). Mostly bouldering (so zoom isn't an issue). Low light ability would be ideal, though obviously we can deal with lighting separately. Keeping an eye out for some good refurbs, but wanted to see if anyone had any experience shooting bouldering and what their setup was.

For reference, these are the types of bouldering photos she's interested in taking:
http://instagram.com/von_perry_photography