Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Zveroboy posted:

Really enjoyed the dice rolling but player elimination does put me off adding it to to my wishlist. That said, are there any similar push-your-luck dice rollers without elimination?

Can't Stop? It's not what I'd call a good game, but for a quick PYL dice game, it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
Has anyone here played Devastation of Indines? I don't think it's been mentioned here but I've seen it elsewhere recently, and I've been trying to work out whether to pull the trigger on getting it, what with the costs of shipping it to the UK (then the extra fun bonus taxes they slap on it).

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Check the BattleCON thread or numerous fights going on in The Game Room. They should give you enough information to decide whether or not you'll like it. Be aware that the warning not to play the game with AP-prone players is to be taken seriously.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Impermanent posted:

Check the BattleCON thread or numerous fights going on in The Game Room. They should give you enough information to decide whether or not you'll like it. Be aware that the warning not to play the game with AP-prone players is to be taken seriously.

Well, that's probably why I haven't seen it discussed here then!

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

bobvonunheil posted:

Has anyone here played Devastation of Indines? I don't think it's been mentioned here but I've seen it elsewhere recently, and I've been trying to work out whether to pull the trigger on getting it, what with the costs of shipping it to the UK (then the extra fun bonus taxes they slap on it).

Also, there's an entire Level99 thread for all of that publisher's games. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3592828

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Just an FYI, Tragedy Looper's on sale at CSI for 27 bucks. Picked up my copy earlier based on a recommendation from a dude with an IWW t-shirt at a board game meetup I went to on Thursday (also endless hype from everyone on here who's played it)

ThaShaneTrain
Jan 2, 2009

pure mindless vandalism
:smuggo:
Anyone know any good 1 player games that don't take up a lot of space?

I have a lot of downtime at work during football season and I wanted to play something but it can't take up more than a school desktop size area. Preferably it could play out in an hour or less.

I did Roll Through the Ages for a bit but it got old after 4 plays.

ThaShaneTrain fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Sep 28, 2014

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ThaShaneTrain posted:

I have a lot of downtime at work during football season and I wanted to play something but it can't take up more than a school desktop size area. Preferably it could play out in an hour or less.

Forbidden Desert doesn't take up much space and is pretty good solo.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I played La Granja yesterday and before I say anything else, I want to say that I'm heavily biased against Euros because I find them boring and non-interactive. I think literally Caylus, Troyes and Archipelago are the only Euros I can actually play and really enjoy. La Granja was not really an exception to my general belief, since it is kinda boring and not too interactive, except for the bits involving the town, but I don't think there was anything mechanically wrong with it otherwise.

My main beef with the game is that there's no real sense of progression in play, such that I felt like I was more or less doing the same thing over and over again. While the details were different (i.e., what resources do I need THIS turn), the process was always the same. In that sense it was sort of like an optimization puzzle every turn, but with a few changing, somewhat inconsequential parts, so if you like that sort of thing, then you would really dig La Granja.

Unfortunately (and I guess this is only unfortunate to me because I like pain and suffering I guess), I felt that there were a lot of safety nets in the game. Between trade commodities, roof tiles, multiple "backup" (less optimal) options in the revenue phase, and the ability to buy/sell harvest goods at any point (for an admittedly large amount of cash/a pittance of cash), I never felt like I was ever particularly concerned with any particular resource except delivers and playing cards. This really dulls the potential for interactivity in the revenue round, where people are picking dice and getting stuff from said dice, a lot. Not entirely, obviously, but it is not quite as dickish as, say, denying a placement in a worker placement game, since options are so many. And since that seems to be the main source of player interaction, it really made the game feel more like solving an efficiency puzzle than outplaying other players. I didn't feel clever, I just felt like I was better at being a spreadsheet. It also doesn't help that there's literally no reason to look at another player's tableau for anything, either. Maybe a few more aggressive helpers, like, say, a Thief or something, would have helped with this.

The points come mostly from completing market barrows (based on your cards), since not only do you get a lump 2-6 points, you can also put a dude in the market and bomb neighboring player's dudes in the market (or something), getting more points for each removed player in the market. AND you get 1 point/turn for each dude you have in the market. AND you get a trade commodity, which, as mentioned above, are awesome and versatile. It's a TON of stuff that lets you snowball, as long as you maximize your deliveries. Since the points come mostly from market barrows, it was hard to get motivated to complete craft buildings. I think if you can do it in turns 1-3 you should try for it, since the recurring bonuses are actually kinda nice, but late game makes it not at all worth it. This is probably by design, but I'd be curious to see how viable it is to just straight ignore the craft buildings and just spend deliveries completing market barrows.

Overall, it was "Euro good," but I definitely didn't fall in love with it. The final scores were 65, 66, 67, and 67, and that sort of incredibly tight spread actually makes me more suspicious of design than think that it was a well played game. And on a tangential note, I really hate hidden point scoring. I have no idea why it is even a thing, as it adds nothing to the game, or any game as far as I can tell.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

ThaShaneTrain posted:

Wargames thread might have some good suggestions.

ThaShaneTrain
Jan 2, 2009

pure mindless vandalism
Right now I'm looking at Dungeon Roll and Pathfinder Adventure Card Game as options. they both look like they don't take up too much space and play in a decent amount of time.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ThaShaneTrain posted:

Right now I'm looking at Dungeon Roll and Pathfinder Adventure Card Game as options. they both look like they don't take up too much space and play in a decent amount of time.

Pathfinder cards would work. You will have to pre make a few adventures and bring them with the character decks in a freezer bag, deck box or something. The box for the entire game is gigantic and not very portable.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

ThaShaneTrain posted:

Those are... complete opposite ends of a spectrum. Dungeon Roll is a yahtzee type game, you just roll the dice and push your luck. It'll fit your space requirement, but probably won't hold your interest long.

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game is one of those games that you schedule ahead of time, with a consistent group of players because you're going to keep the same characters and the same campaign over a series of games. It's probably not going to fit on a school desk.

Try to find Friday. It's specifically designed for a single player, consists of a few decks of cards and some bits of wood, and has enough strategy to it that trying to improve your high score is a meaningful effort.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

ThaShaneTrain posted:

If you're looking at Pathfinder, you might as well look at the LOTR LCG. It's definitely more complex, but it might take up less table space and if it doesn't play in about the same amount of time, it at least feels like it does. Like, the fact Rutibex recommends Pathfinder is probably good enough reason for you to stay away. It is a goddamn unrewarding slog.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

GrandpaPants posted:

Like, the fact Rutibex recommends Pathfinder is probably good enough reason for you to stay away. It is a goddamn unrewarding slog.
Pathfinder ACG is a failure of a co-op game. It somehow manages to both have a brutal quarterbacking problem, and almost a complete lack of meaningful decisions, which usually results in it being "the person who knows it best orders everyone around for a chance to beat it, which is then hosed anyways because someone rolled for poo poo on their attack and the villain got away just in time to run out the deck and make everyone lose".

It's at least an interesting solo game when you play a full party yourself, but that's not exactly a reason to buy it (and I also occasionally enjoy Arkham Horror played the same way, so take anything I say about "good solo game" with a grain of salt).

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Fungah! posted:

Just an FYI, Tragedy Looper's on sale at CSI for 27 bucks. Picked up my copy earlier based on a recommendation from a dude with an IWW t-shirt at a board game meetup I went to on Thursday (also endless hype from everyone on here who's played it)

This isn't a sale, it's CSI's every day price for it.

ThaShaneTrain
Jan 2, 2009

pure mindless vandalism
I didn't see the time on PACG so it's out. The way Roll through the Ages burnt out on me it looks like dungeon roll might do the same. How is Space Hulk the Card Game?

I went through anything that rated above a 5.5 on BGG for solo play.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
Grabbed Gamma World since it was kinda cheap on Amazon. Has anyone tried it out?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I played Marvel Legendary tonight. I'm not sure what I think, but if I type my thoughts maybe I'll figure it out.

It's been mentioned here before, but if you don't know, it's a deckbuilder about Marvel superheroes fighting villains. The players start with a coppers-and-estates-style deck of SHIELD grunts and slowly add heroes and weed out the chaff to build a real hero team. Play some heroes for Recruit points to buy more heroes, or others for Fight points to fight villains. "KO" the villains, add them to your victory pile; if the good guys beat the supervillain, the good guy with the most victory points wins.

Mechanics: It feels a bit Dominion-for-Dummies with some of the cards. I did play the Beginner set-up so the heroes might have been on the simple side, but a lot of the cards seem to be in the vein of "get +1 for every other card of the same team or type". The real limiter, strategy-wise, is that unlike Dominion the market is limited to a random set of five face-up cards plus the Marvel equivalent of a Silver. It reminded me of Race for the Galaxy in that what you're buying is a function of what's available as much as what you want for synergy purposes (without the Explore +5 option). One thing that I do like is the different effects you get by beating various villains, which adds another small element of choice, although villain options are even more limited than the Hero market. I also think the way you build the evil side as a Mastermind + Scheme + Villains is a little more interesting than Sentinels of the Multiverse, the closest superhero comparison I can think of.

Player Count: I think the perfect number of players for this game is probably anything but 3. The number of "draw a card" abilities in the game make it seem like everyone is going to end up playing a Village-Smithy style of deck most of the time. But because of the random nature of the card market there's no point in planning your turn if you aren't next up. So the player taking their turn and the one on-deck are thinking about the game, and any other players can talk about sports or whatever. In a 3-player game the third wheel is just probably staring in to space, or distracting the active players, or trying to kill the current player with his mind why do they take so long just play the cards dammit.

Theme: The most puzzling thing about this game is that I have no idea who the players are. Being a licensed game that presumably exists solely for thematic purposes, I find that very odd. In theory, each player might naturally specialize in different hero types or teams to gain their synergy bonuses; in practice what you can buy is somewhat random so everyone winds up with at least a little of almost everything. The thing I find most odd is that the game mechanics seem to reinforce the theme fairly well in every other respect besides the role of the player.

I still don't really know how to rate this game. The semi-coop thing doesn't quite work for me here; it doesn't seem like quite a deep enough game to displace Cyclades or Archipelago as a gamer's game. I might consider it a good non-demanding coop game to play with the non-gamer Significant Other, if your SO is at least nerdy enough to appreciate the Marvel-ness of the game (maybe not uncommon in the Marvel Cinematic Universe era). I think I really just need to play with some more characters or expansions to see if enough depth can be added to give the game staying power, but right now that smells strongly to me of throwing good money after bad.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

PerniciousKnid posted:

The real limiter, strategy-wise, is that unlike Dominion the market is limited to a random set of five face-up cards plus the Marvel equivalent of a Silver.

I have never played a game with this mechanic that wasn't garbage.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

I have never played a game with this mechanic that wasn't garbage.

Has there been a game with a market mechanic that had like, a preview line of cards that weren't active yet but would be next in line? The only game I could think of that remotely uses something like that is Tash Kalar, which isn't quite a market.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

GrandpaPants posted:

Has there been a game with a market mechanic that had like, a preview line of cards that weren't active yet but would be next in line? The only game I could think of that remotely uses something like that is Tash Kalar, which isn't quite a market.

Power Grid?

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

GrandpaPants posted:

I should specify that I mean Dominion knock-offs that use that mechanic, not all games in all genres ever.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.

GrandpaPants posted:

Through the Ages?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

I should specify that I mean Dominion knock-offs that use that mechanic, not all games in all genres ever.

Variant thunderstone, but thunderstone is not a very good game.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

thespaceinvader posted:

Variant thunderstone, but thunderstone is not a very good game.

That would fall under the "garbage" heading, then.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Mage Knight does technically have 2 random selections of 3 cards each. It's marginal, but it fits :colbert:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

BonHair posted:

Mage Knight does technically have 2 random selections of 3 cards each. It's marginal, but it fits :colbert:

Still not moving away from "garbage" here.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

spider wisdom posted:

Grabbed Gamma World since it was kinda cheap on Amazon. Has anyone tried it out?

It is pretty fun, but not really a board game despite the fact that it comes in a box. Really an ultra light weight rpg. If you have any friends who have ever played D&D or something it will go over pretty well and you can buzz through an entire scenario in like an hour.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Jedit posted:

oh please.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

andrew smash posted:

It is pretty fun, but not really a board game despite the fact that it comes in a box. Really an ultra light weight rpg. If you have any friends who have ever played D&D or something it will go over pretty well and you can buzz through an entire scenario in like an hour.

The 4e D&D thread talks about Gamma World a fair bit, look in there for advice.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Jedit posted:

No, not moving so much as not being anywhere in the vicinity in the first place.

Mage Knight isn't heavy on the deckbuilding elements though, to be fair.

PerniciousKnid posted:

I played Marvel Legendary tonight.
I've played it a couple of times before. I enjoy it for the theme, I've a huge marvel-head, but the execution is a little lacking. The lack of defined action vs buy phase makes the whole turn a little too complex to run swiftly when the game's near the end, and if you play it full random it's way too easy to get hosed over (villains that require a specific type of hero you don't have, heroes that only really work in combination with others from their organisation, on their own, etc etc.).

It's fun, but I've played a few times and never achieved anything other than last place after a team win - and that's mostly down to the random shop problem.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
Having played a bit more Robinson Crusoe it really suffers from setup/teardown on the shorter scenarios. Rescue Jenny just feels lovely and not worth the effort.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
For what it's worth, I thought the DC deckbuilding game was much better.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Doodmons posted:

For what it's worth, I thought the DC deckbuilding game was much better.

lmfao

Schizoguy
Mar 1, 2002

I have so many things on my social calendar these days, it is difficult to know which you are making reference to, in particular.

GrandpaPants posted:

In the City: Origins. Some guy at my group had a copy; we played a couple of times. It's a tableau builder; the market is two rows of cards; you're (normally) only allowed to buy from the bottom row; when you buy a card, the rest of the row slides down.

Schizoguy fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Sep 28, 2014

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

The DC deckbuilder is awful, it basically doesn't understand how a deckbuilder is meant to function at a fundemental level.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Jedit posted:

I thought I was the only one!

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

thespaceinvader posted:

I've played it a couple of times before. I enjoy it for the theme, I've a huge marvel-head, but the execution is a little lacking. The lack of defined action vs buy phase makes the whole turn a little too complex to run swiftly when the game's near the end, and if you play it full random it's way too easy to get hosed over (villains that require a specific type of hero you don't have, heroes that only really work in combination with others from their organization, on their own, etc etc.).
I kinda had this issue in my game even with the predefined heroes. I never got one of the very rare covert heroes, and so on the last turn I had 12 strength and only one weak villain I could attack besides the mastermind. I ended up just short of winning, where if I had more villains out or the ability to damage the big one that was out... :(

I also played Cyclades, where I was one turn away from Athena giving me a potential win but I got outbid and kicked down to a single island, so I spent the next turn watching another guy win. It was a fun game, but I sorta got the feeling that if we become solidly competent at it, the game will eventually turn on who can force a win depending on the board position and what creatures randomly come into play at the right time. I wonder if this aspect will feel more or less strategic than Cosmic Encounters, where the card info is private but players can build a hand in advance toward a showdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The other problem I've had is just plain bad timing. Like, the 8-cost sits there for 5 turns, and on the turn before I can finally afford it, a villain or a masterstrike wipes the board and the best card in the game is gone for good.

Each deck having only one superpowered card is a little bit of an issue I think. It makes every game like a King's Court game... only without enough King's COurts to go around.

• Locked thread