Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Devour or Fire posted:

Chucklefish isn't hiring new programmers because it would take 6 months to teach them about starbound's spaghetti code.

Let me tell you a few things about programming.

1 - All code is terrible. Yes. All of it. Every program ever written that is more complex then "Hello, World!" is a pile of horrifyingly bad code that barely works.
2 - Every program is at least partially made of spaghetti. It is inevitable. As programs increase in age the code just gets more tangled. It's also impossible to "just untangle it, gently caress" because code often only works when things are tangled. To make matters worse it's virtually impossible to completely write untangled code. You just can't. You just kind of do your best.
3 - Every programmer asks for help because literally nobody knows everything about programming. Every program is also different and will throw you different challenges.
4 - The internet is literally the best resource for asking about issues you're running into and can't solve. I know programmers that have been programming for a living for like 20 years that get on the internet to ask questions because, well, #3 is A Thing. Seriously, the internet is an amazing resource for programmers. Why would you not use it?
5 - Running into snags is the rule when it comes to programming. See #1. No code is ever bug free and like half of your time is spent fixing bugs and unfucking things that broke randomly. That's just the nature of the beast.
6 - Programming teams tend to be small and there are very good reasons for that. It isn't just a matter of training somebody new on spaghetti code (reread #1 and #2 in case you forgot) but more hands on the code means more things can go wrong. This is especially true of large projects, which every computer game is by default. You can't just add another programmer and magically expect things to get done faster/better. Training somebody on a code base and making sure they don't break anything along the way while they work on new stuff can take a while. Sometimes it's seriously just flat out better to not add to the team.
7 - Programming takes for loving ever and things break so often deadlines end up being more like suggestions than anything. There are techniques to make things more solid and on time but really, there just isn't a way to make sure that a program gets done in X days exactly.

Now, I'm not white knighting for Chucklefish. I really think they've made some questionable decisions and would have much preferred for the game to have come out already but criticizing them because one of their programmers asked a question is dumb.

ToxicSlurpee fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Sep 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Babe Magnet posted:

I'm going to make a new one when the update comes out

"New thread's up guys"
________________/

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

XboxPants posted:

Man screw that, Devour or Fire is 90% of the reason that the thread is so poo poo. Before the latest tangent between Literally Kermit and DoF people were discussing game stuff, even if a lot of it was rehashed ideas. I don't understand the pro-threadshitting rules that Games has embraced.

It's because most people don't care as much as a few people

Also we can only discuss how poo poo mining is so many times in between updates related to mining, repeating topics for the 50th time is basically the same as threadshitting in that it's something you should be ignoring if you don't care and it only really happens until we have something new to talk about

oddium posted:

"New thread's up guys"
________________/

That's pretty accurate, now imagine what I'll look like when the game finally updates!

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
This might not be announced yet, but does anyone know if the plan for Novakid train-spaceships is just to keep adding cars? I like that it has a different design (and kind of wish they all did at this point) but a little verticality would be nice in their expension too.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

NotALizardman posted:

no gently caress you this is funny as hell, if a little sad
Wow, rude :(

Babe Magnet posted:

It's because most people don't care as much as a few people

Also we can only discuss how poo poo mining is so many times in between updates related to mining, repeating topics for the 50th time is basically the same as threadshitting in that it's something you should be ignoring if you don't care and it only really happens until we have something new to talk about
Yeah, this. The only reason why I still look in here is to see how many people got trolled this time again. All topics have been discussed to death and just cirlce around forever. And even the trolling has gone on for so long that it's wearing thin. Remember when we were all posting cool little pictures of poo poo we found and wacky creatures we murdered? That was neat.

oddium posted:

"New thread's up guys"
________________/

lmao

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Vib Rib posted:

This might not be announced yet, but does anyone know if the plan for Novakid train-spaceships is just to keep adding cars? I like that it has a different design (and kind of wish they all did at this point) but a little verticality would be nice in their expension too.

I was kinda worried about that too but I'm not sure what you could really do with it being as it is a train.

I guess maybe some sort of double decker car but you can make your own ones of those in the double high cars if you want.

Lallander
Sep 11, 2001

When a problem comes along,
you must whip it.

Vib Rib posted:

Some of the cars go vertical. They posted a screenshot a while back. It showed some of the cars having 2 levels up and one with 3 if I remember correctly.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Vib Rib posted:

Double-decker trains would be awesome. Most of the upgraded spaceship designs I've seen have been fairly boring, though. Just adding on more pre-fab blocks. I guess it helps encourage you to move in and make the interior of your ship your own, which is fun, but I wish you could add blocks or customization somehow to the outside as well. Even if it was just colors.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Literally Kermit posted:

Why do you even keep posting here if it pisses you off so much?

Because

XboxPants posted:

Man screw that, Devour or Fire is 90% of the reason that the thread is so poo poo. Before the latest tangent between Literally Kermit and DoF people were discussing game stuff, even if a lot of it was rehashed ideas. I don't understand the pro-threadshitting rules that Games has embraced.

lol

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

XboxPants posted:

Double-decker trains would be awesome. Most of the upgraded spaceship designs I've seen have been fairly boring, though. Just adding on more pre-fab blocks. I guess it helps encourage you to move in and make the interior of your ship your own, which is fun, but I wish you could add blocks or customization somehow to the outside as well. Even if it was just colors.

Didn't somebody make a mod that let you completely 100% customize the entire ship?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Lallander posted:

Some of the cars go vertical. They posted a screenshot a while back. It showed some of the cars having 2 levels up and one with 3 if I remember correctly.
Oh, that's rad. Sort of makes me wish you could choose what cars to couple on at each stage of growth, or even swap them out. Though that would leave the other racial ships in the dust.

XboxPants posted:

Personally it doesn't bother me that much because I'd rather have a permanent base on a planet than in my ship, and then just deck out the latter to be a rad interplanetary love pad or some equally obnoxious motif, but yeah, I do wish there was a bit more customization there.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah I hope the trains don't just become longer, that would become a pain in the rear end very quickly. Big Train Cars like they're doing sound just right, letting them compact some stuff while still giving you the feeling of it being a space train.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Didn't somebody make a mod that let you completely 100% customize the entire ship?

Yeah, it's pretty sweet.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

XboxPants posted:

That's just it, we were actually talking about the game again and everything, then they come here and thread-poo poo. Normally I do ignore them, but they get quoted constantly. It got old. This is not the loving "bash chucklefuck constantly" thread!

NotALizardman posted:

no gently caress you this is funny as hell, if a little sad

I'm coming down from a beer tasting, that has more than a little to do with my sudden hostility than anything.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Babe Magnet posted:

Yeah, it's pretty sweet.

Oh, cool. I remember reading about more customizable spaes botes I just never looked at the mod...kind of makes me wonder if that sort of thing will still work/be possible in the next stable or the complete game.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

making GBS threads on bad things is fun and it's probably the only way to get your money's worth from this game

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Hey is this game coming out of early access soon or

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

babypolis posted:

making GBS threads on bad things is fun and it's probably the only way to get your money's worth from this game

Weeellllllll I can't help but compare this to SimCity 5. Starbound, as is, is still a fun little space legos sandbox. SimCity 5 was released as a full game that was deliberately designed to look and act like a game but not actually be one. Then I think of Towns and, well, somebody, somewhere is still working on Starbound.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Maybe someone can make a mod that makes it so that after you:

3d print a bunch of stuff on your spaceship,
travel to a planet using your FTL engine,
and then use your teleporter that can transport you back to your ship from anywhere to arrive on the planet

that you dont have to chop down some wood so you can make a lovely copper sword and shield that blocks plasma blasts and can maybe instead do something that isnt stupid

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Oh, cool. I remember reading about more customizable spaes botes I just never looked at the mod...kind of makes me wonder if that sort of thing will still work/be possible in the next stable or the complete game.

It still works, yeah, last time I checked. As for working in the future, they don't seem to be changing too much about ships other than adding in an upgrade functionality and the ability to draw from a bunch of different bases and presets rather than just one, so I expect it to still be good after a week or two of the creator fiddling with the new mod coding changes.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Varinn posted:

Maybe someone can make a mod that makes it so that after you:

3d print a bunch of stuff on your spaceship,
travel to a planet using your FTL engine,
and then use your teleporter that can transport you back to your ship from anywhere to arrive on the planet

that you dont have to chop down some wood so you can make a lovely copper sword and shield that blocks plasma blasts and can maybe instead do something that isnt stupid

Good news, now you can't even do the first two things before you dig to the center of your first planet with a lovely copper pick.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Tin Tim posted:

Wow, rude :(

im sorry :(

Lallander posted:

I don't really care for these, unfortunately. Like, I love the idea of space train and I don't object to having vertical cars, but the ones that we're shown just kind of look like generic space buildings instead of train cars. The "smokestacks" being on the cars themselves kind of reinforces that.

Maybe I'm just being too picky? :shrug:

Silento Boborachi
Sep 17, 2007

I never use the default ships, so getting a mod that lets me build my own from day 1 will be the first one I download. I'd like it to be part of the base game, but I'm not sure how they would implement it when so much of the progression goes into fixing your ship with specific graphics for that. I could understand maybe an engine graphic that you just plunk down and repair but it looks like they have entire hull sprites that get repaired/upgraded as you progress so that throws out building your own. I guess I don't understand if the ship repairs are a part of the progression or they're just a cosmetic reward that does not, code-wise, have to happen for progression.

Basically I am forcing the space-station back into the game.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

NotALizardman posted:

I don't really care for these, unfortunately. Like, I love the idea of space train and I don't object to having vertical cars, but the ones that we're shown just kind of look like generic space buildings instead of train cars. The "smokestacks" being on the cars themselves kind of reinforces that.

Nah, I don't think they look all that "trainy" either. They need spaces with couplings between the carts, that'd be cool. And the background needs to look like the side of a train rather than the side of a building.

A big part of the problem is how hamstrung they are, since they can't really show the exterior of the "train cars", but they could do a lot better, too.

All that said, I really don't like the look of "build from scratch" blocky mod spaceships, so even with all those criticisms, I still prefer the prebuilt ones.

Silento Boborachi
Sep 17, 2007

The prebuilt definitly look nicer, I've been looking quite a bit into how people have decorated models with all the extra little doo-dads. There was a term I can't seem to find about how the star wars model makers had to add extra junk to the models to make them look right. Just having a blocky ship hull doesn't seem right.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
so has this game updated yet or are you still all trolling each other about opinions

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Average Bear posted:

Hey is this game coming out of early access soon or

Well, if you view it in the scope of humanity's evolution from grunting troglodytes

WereVolvo
Jan 12, 2011
"Fun" is not a design goal.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

so has this game updated yet or are you still all trolling each other about opinions

If you have to ask, you probably know the answer already.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Just a reminder that they were working on this game for like a year or two before releasing what we got last year, which is the same as what we currently have.

All told I spent $30 total for this and when it was released i had a pretty good time playing with friends for a week or so. I hope they finish making it.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

NotALizardman posted:

I always thought the point of ships being largely very generic was so that you could customize the crap out of the inside?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah you can tear down the inner walls, but I don't think it'll help with the "train cars actually look like buildings" thing.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

In fairness molding is drag-and-drop easy to do, so any concerns with layouts are pretty easily circumvented. I like train cars and the train car idea but the weird tall ones look sorta weird to me. Maybe if they just all upgraded to pull height it'd look more normal.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Saxophone posted:

In fairness molding is drag-and-drop easy to do, so any concerns with layouts are pretty easily circumvented. I like train cars and the train car idea but the weird tall ones look sorta weird to me. Maybe if they just all upgraded to pull height it'd look more normal.

More room to plant trees? Okay, gosh if you insist :3:

Colosmicon
Jan 5, 2013

Silento Boborachi posted:

The prebuilt definitly look nicer, I've been looking quite a bit into how people have decorated models with all the extra little doo-dads. There was a term I can't seem to find about how the star wars model makers had to add extra junk to the models to make them look right. Just having a blocky ship hull doesn't seem right.

The term you're looking for is 'greeble'.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Kly posted:

All told I spent $30 total for this and when it was released i had a pretty good time playing with friends for a week or so. I hope they finish making it.
If they finish director mode sometime in the indefinite future, I'll be satisfied

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
None of this matters because Starbound alrady hit its peak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAk73l8MKFo

Sorry, you can never get better than that.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

IronicDongz posted:

let's just randomly look through this thread and find some complaints, hope some of these count as 'legitimate' complaints instead of unjustified whinin
I found the unjustified whining in your examples, it's that dumb bastard talking about bananas-wait.

Serious though, your example with Super Metroid variety vs current 'mix and match visuals' variety was pretty nice.

oddium posted:

"New thread's up guys"
________________/

Holy poo poo, when did Skellies become a official race?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If anyone wants to abandon this dead game that's stagnated without updates. Crea has released it's 0.9 version, it looks like it has everything Starbound did but does it a lot better. (Especially if you remember DoF's combat gif.)

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Really? Because everyone I've asked told me Crea sucks. I'll look into that endorsement.

Either way jumping from one early access sandbox game to another right now seems like a poorly informed choice.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

It's okay, the next one will be good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

crea is crap-a

• Locked thread