Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
I commissioned a character portrait from my dear goon friend and artist, Natalie Fartman, and it came out baller.

Feel free to use for your custom rangers:

As soon as we can import models all will be complete:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Speaking of which, anyone have some solid impressions on the effectiveness of fist weapons compared to other melee options? I was thinking of switching my blunt guy to a punchman just because it's cooler.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?
I really hope making your own custom 7 man party doesn't majorly gently caress the game up. Given the weird planet desert atmosphere, I was kinda inspired to make a sort of story where a certain crew of a certain ship crashed on a freaky post-apocalyptic fringe world. Their ship gets confiscated by these assholes calling themselves the "Desert Rangers", and they're press ganged into joining them and doing a bunch of jobs for them.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."
I have a question about the quest involving cat litter.

What the gently caress do I have to do for The Lieutenant to finish upgrading my rad suits? I've done pretty much everything in the non-irradiated parts of Cali.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

I have a question about the quest involving cat litter.

What the gently caress do I have to do for The Lieutenant to finish upgrading my rad suits? I've done pretty much everything in the non-irradiated parts of Cali.

Bring him the cat litter, and talk to him. A window will open up for you to put the litter in to give it to him. Once he has enough, leave the area and walk around a bit til he calls you back.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Haroshia posted:

Bring him the cat litter, and talk to him. A window will open up for you to put the litter in to give it to him. Once he has enough, leave the area and walk around a bit til he calls you back.

He didn't call me back until I did everything.

The last thing I did before he called me was to do the distress call about the 'lone synth', so that's probably required.

In other news, I am a horrible cheater. I just edited my NPCs to do what I drat tell them in combat.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Berk Berkly posted:

As for weapons, diversify to give everyone some degree of range and penetration for sure. The last thing you want is to have several of your team unable to cope with baddies in their face or super high armor assholes.
When playing on the 2nd-highest difficulty level, I had no problem at all with only one weapon skill per character (apart from my energy-gal - she got submachine guns as support because being useless for half the game is not fun).

Snipers/AR guys can just move back one step and shoot when they are pressured, or just wait for help from their closer-ranged collegues.

This makes 4 INT characters more valid, because you can now get 2 support skills out of them instead of just one.

And dont make your AR/sniper guy(s) your medic. You want those dudes to DPS, and not waste AP on healing somebody. Medic works great on a fast character (maybe blunt melee or handguns). You can also use that fast guy to run around and give killshots to all the enemies with only a handful of HP left - no use wasting shots from your big guns for that.

Berk Berkly posted:

Early in the game Angela Deth can and should serve as your Weaponsmither(and Hard Asser and Wall Puncher), but save points on someone to take up that duty when she leaves later. And don't forget to equip Ace's Wrench on her(and give it a grip tape asap).
Angela is a great help. And dont forget to leave points to give someone else her outdoorman-skill. Unless you enjoy an endless number of pointless fights.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

Nektu posted:

When playing on the 2nd-highest difficulty level, I had no problem at all with only one weapon skill per character (apart from my energy-gal - she got submachine guns as support because being useless for half the game is not fun).

Snipers/AR guys can just move back one step and shoot when they are pressured, or just wait for help from their closer-ranged collegues.

This makes 4 INT characters more valid, because you can now get 2 support skills out of them instead of just one.

You can often take a step back, but people should be careful when stepping out of good cover and/or getting into the line of friendly fire.

From my experience, bad combat characters are both slow/immobile and also very short range. The shorter your effective range, the quicker your character needs to be in combat. This is that Shotgun/Knives with mediocre AP guy that seems to never be in the right place at the right time, getting chopped down before getting into position and generally loving things up for everyone else.

Four INT Characters are pretty valid. My current Combat Medic-Melee-Mule rolls pretty hard and can always toss out a grenade to get the party started(or finished).

And yea, I'm a fan of the Energy Weapon/SMG weapon combo. SMGs rock the early game and Energy weapons take it home in the late, without any proximity penalties, decent range, and other bonuses. I'm always going to have one of these in my party.

Berk Berkly fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Sep 28, 2014

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

TerminalSaint posted:

As soon as we can import models all will be complete:

I think someone looked at the save file and determined that the character models are made up of parts, so you'd probably need to chunk up your model so it can be used.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Contrary to XCOM where the IA will usually not move when one of your guy is on Overwatch, the IA in that game doesn't seem to care about that (that would be cheating I think since you don't see when the enemies go into Ambush?). It also doesn't like Pressure so moving a High Speed character near an enemy under cover usually leads to amazing Ambushes. I love it.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Why the hell did I recruit chickens, the clucking is so annoying. :( Also I lost Aberforth by recruiting too many chickens. I guess goats hate chickens?

Eddain
May 6, 2007
I got to Rodia but can't find Vergil. Where is he at?

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008
So how much did I miss? Titan Canyon/Titan Temple:

I went through the whole canyon without shooting any protected raiders, never entered the DBM stronghold (figuring I wanted to hear the Monks side first), got in with three goop. Did all other sidequests I could find though. Talked to the doctor without getting much out of that. Never went further into the base than the hospital. Talked to father, got sent to Silo 7 and said gently caress these guys and dismantled the bomb. When I went back it was all raiders :black101:

edit: i is capital

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Eddain posted:

I got to Rodia but can't find Vergil. Where is he at?

I found him on the left side of the crater. That whole area was weird for me because I melted the guys in front of the gate without them getting to trigger their cutscene, then strolled right to the mayor, let him down which made the boss appear out of this air and free the city and then I just spent 10 minutes walking around reading descriptions how everything changed and people thanking me (I never got to see how it looked like before).

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
in griffith park: how do i show the eyeball to fealty? she has no dialogue options

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Verviticus posted:

in griffith park: how do i show the eyeball to fealty? she has no dialogue options

I killed them all in that little area and unlocked the case.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

HondaCivet posted:

Why the hell did I recruit chickens, the clucking is so annoying. :( Also I lost Aberforth by recruiting too many chickens. I guess goats hate chickens?

Can't you just talk to them? The yelling goats from the Prison area got old immediately but just clicking on them gave me the option to "Dismiss my animal companion."

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

This has probably come up before, but I tried to avoid spoilers. At the AG Center (where I went first, ignoring Highpool) I found 10 pod pieces and some fungicide, brought it to Kathryn and she said she could make a serum and cure me. She cured Matthew, and told me to put the serum into the irrigation thingy. The problem is, I'm still infected and there's no serum in my inventory. Is this a bug or am I overlooking something?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
what stat do chickens buff?

also the goats almost completely shutup after you leave the area and they own

edit:

Chiwie posted:

I killed them all in that little area and unlocked the case.

turns out you can access the case from the hole in the fence but those guys attack you afterwards anyways

actually, regarding the church: every paladin and ecentric knight is attacking me but the rest of the church doesnt seem to care. bug?

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Sep 28, 2014

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Myron posted:

This has probably come up before, but I tried to avoid spoilers. At the AG Center (where I went first, ignoring Highpool) I found 10 pod pieces and some fungicide, brought it to Kathryn and she said she could make a serum and cure me. She cured Matthew, and told me to put the serum into the irrigation thingy. The problem is, I'm still infected and there's no serum in my inventory. Is this a bug or am I overlooking something?

You probably first need to shut down the irrigation system by going to two other areas from the basement, through the poisoned areas.

Edit: totally unrelated to the above, yesterday I finally restarted on supreme jerk and I'm not sure whether I'm liking it. Yes it is more difficult, but if you've been using all the basic stuff - like spreading out, crouching, using cover, retreating and shooting, lobbing explosives left and right, and some other stuff - then playing on a higher difficulty isn't going to make the combat more tactically challenging, just more tedious. What supreme jerk seems to do is flat out reduce your damage by a certain percentage, increase enemy damage, and perhaps add armor to some enemies as well.

Guns that should so something like 6-12 damage do around 3-7 damage (against unarmored), and because you need to shoot more often enemies will close distance more often and hit you before you kill them. So at least you'll be using more resources and it'll take longer before you have 5-6k in cash and nothing to do with it, that's cool. But characters also die more easily. One of my guys got one-shot murdered against the frog, no bleeding out, just instant death. That might be a bit frustrating because you need to reload more often, but what irks me most is the player damage reduction, it just feels like it makes everything into a bulletsponge. Ranger difficulty is probably the sweet spot and best balanced. It's not easy, hard enemies are hard, but you can still feel pretty badass relatively fast.

Fleve fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Sep 28, 2014

Greaseman
Aug 12, 2007
Beat the game. The second half was sort of sketchy, but I feel good about the experience overall. Some ending slides were inaccurate, and I'm wondering if any didn't fire or similar. Are all the slides listed anywhere to read?

dvl
Mar 9, 2007
n/a
Copy pasting here what I posted elsewhere:

I spend couple of hours testing Pizepi.

tl;dr: 22 charisma, reload a save on the level she should be.

I needed 22 charisma and save/reload in the area she spawns to make her appear. The save/reload was mandatory for me, taking the ladder with 22 charisma didn't make her spawn. You can use temp items to get up to 22 so melons work.

Note that I went in and did Darwin without having enough charisma and then save edited or used melons either on the level where Jan is or where Pizepi is. It's possible that if you have enough charisma when you load the whole level you wouldn't need to save/reload or something like that.

It doesn't matter how many mutants you kill as long as you told Jan that you won't tell anyone.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Greaseman posted:

Beat the game. The second half was sort of sketchy, but I feel good about the experience overall. Some ending slides were inaccurate, and I'm wondering if any didn't fire or similar. Are all the slides listed anywhere to read?

I just beat the games too, did you get ending slides for Hollywood and God's Militia areas? I didn't get any. Also it got the cannibalism thing wrong, unless breaking the coolant system isn't enough.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Sep 28, 2014

Greaseman
Aug 12, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

I just beat the games too, did you get ending slides for Hollywood and God's Militia areas? I didn't get any. Also it got the cannibalism thing wrong, unless breaking the coolant system isn't enough.

I did get slides for those. I'd resolved things in those areas by putting good people in power there and so forth. For me, I was bothered by it saying I'd helped the Atchisons kill the Topekens when I resolved that peacefully.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Vargs posted:

Speaking of which, anyone have some solid impressions on the effectiveness of fist weapons compared to other melee options? I was thinking of switching my blunt guy to a punchman just because it's cooler.

They're awesome. High AP characters with brawl wreck poo poo. I'm reasonably certain that it adds your characters level, and possibly your strength, to the base damage, so that piddly damage you see from checking your weapon isn't the entire story.

Ralphy has 'dragon's claws' and he's consistently one of the highest damaging members of my party, along with my bladed weapons dude who has this:

It vaporizes dudes when you hit them with 200+ damage crits all day every day.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

lol youre loving kidding me

there's a funeral at hollywood as you enter where some people are being attacked by pigs. the pigs attacked and i guess killed one of the really important people in hollywood before i got there but A: there are no triggers for this person being dead and B: corpses don't have names so i just moved along. now im just cut off from a bunch of content. cool, well thought out portion of the game definitely designed by the same people who did the first half

Fluffy-dice
Sep 4, 2014

Higby is a server
It looks like there's been a patch 28-9-2014 that may corrupt your save games. After pulling my hair out over 7hrs of lost data I found that deleting the txt file in your : C:\Users\your_username_here\Documents\My Games\Wasteland2\Save Games then restarting the game seems to fix the problem.

dont bother re-nameing / copping your save games into other saved folders as this doesn't seem to help.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Greaseman posted:

I did get slides for those. I'd resolved things in those areas by putting good people in power there and so forth. For me, I was bothered by it saying I'd helped the Atchisons kill the Topekens when I resolved that peacefully.

That makes me realize I didn't get any ending slide for Rail Nomads.

Things did not go peacefully in Rail Nomads (and Kakkabah died in the final fight) and I couldn't continue the Hollywood/GM questline the way I wanted because a bug, even though I got rid of Malediction Mayweather.

Yeah maybe they're a bit buggy but the ending slides aren't that great for now (the companions' ones were cool though, poor lex :()

Kind of a shame since the game is great otherwise.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Just finished the game. Clocked in at 64 hours, and I was not dawdling. Absolutely fantastic. I didn't get (a lot of) the bugginess in the second half, but I was vaguely annoyed/amused at how many dialogs in LA started with !. Due to some sleepless coding, no doubt.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!
Is there a way to prove to DBM that the missile is a fake?

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
I have restarted about 20 times. Can't bloody settle on any build!

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Ddraig posted:

They're awesome. High AP characters with brawl wreck poo poo. I'm reasonably certain that it adds your characters level, and possibly your strength, to the base damage, so that piddly damage you see from checking your weapon isn't the entire story.

Ralphy has 'dragon's claws' and he's consistently one of the highest damaging members of my party, along with my bladed weapons dude who has this:

It vaporizes dudes when you hit them with 200+ damage crits all day every day.

How does Brawling fares against high armor enemies? Does it just not matter since you get crazy damage?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I've got a bit of a problem. I entered the Bastion from the world map, meaning that the gates are in the wrong position for me to be able to exit. And they won't let me touch the inside-console to open them. Is there anything save-edity I can do to fix this, because otherwise I'll have to wind back a fair distance.

Scissorfighter
Oct 7, 2007

With all rocks and papers vanquished, they turn on eachother...

I'm stuck at the end of the game. Ranger Citadel interior. The first area with the museum and hospital. All I can see is an elevator that does nothing when I go inside it and an impossible locked door.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Angel Oracle: Is there a way to get the toaster repair item for Mr. Manners without exposing the Robbison plot and killing those people? I stopped the execution with 10 Kiss rear end skill, meaning I didn't have to expose the plot. I don't want my Rangers to act like a death squad for that murderous dickhead. But I need cat litter... :qq:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

PirateBob posted:

Angel Oracle: Is there a way to get the toaster repair item for Mr. Manners without exposing the Robbison plot and killing those people? I stopped the execution with 10 Kiss rear end skill, meaning I didn't have to expose the plot. I don't want my Rangers to act like a death squad for that murderous dickhead. But I need cat litter... :qq:

There are just enough bags to get by without Manner's stock. You'll need to find Rodia, probably by wandering around, to get the last two.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
Was there a patch today? My game is taking ten times as long to load (and it freezes up at several points while doing so), and now Q and E will only rotate my camera by 180 degrees for some reason.

**Okay, the Q and E stuff went away, but now it's like the game's light map is following my camera around. Or the shadow map? It's like the pattern of shading on the ground follows me instead of sticking with the ground.

Cheston fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Sep 28, 2014

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

PirateBob posted:

on the other hand they A: are insane objectivists and pose a massive threat and B: tried to overthrow the mannerites, the only other force of 'good' in cali

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Greaseman posted:

Same here, a zillion script bugs resulting in quests that break a dozen different ways. Despite that, I managed to complete pretty much all major quest lines(I think). The only real technical issues I came across involved trying to get it to run at 3840x2160, which it didn't do even remotely reliably.

One thing I may have missed, or perhaps it was just a storyline left dangling, but was there any resolution in regards to Angela Deth going down in the helicopter crash? I got a slide about no wreck being found, which makes me think there was some way to come across it in-game

Of course, my epilogue slides were also incredibly buggy, and at least half were wrong. Heidi is described as still running things in her town despite my rangers having left her a pile of glowing slag in the aqueduct, etc. And even putting aside the bugs, there are some significant balance issues and questionable design decisions. That said, it's still a pretty solid game, I'd just suggest waiting for a few patches to sand off the rough edges before picking it up if there's anyone on the fence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Furism posted:

How does Brawling fares against high armor enemies? Does it just not matter since you get crazy damage?

The high end brawler weapons have decent AP as standard, but you do crazy damage so it doesn't really matter.

These, from the looks of them, have pitiful damage. But I guess one of the unwritten mechanics is that it seems like melee weapons are an extension of your character's strength. So most of your damage from brawling comes from the fact you have a loving ton of strength/levels behind you, and the fact you're using what are essentially metal spikes on your fist is just gravy ontop of the idea that your character is a powerhouse irregardless.

Ralphy frequently does 200+ damage, and with 3AP a pop it's one of the most cost efficient damage dealing things out there...

So those of you who think he is a useless toaster wrangling jocky, guess you're wrong :smuggo:

I knew my faith in the kid would pay off.

• Locked thread