Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Yeah I guess Kung Fu point negates the need for the Jump and Arm Points. I do hope he has access to a seventh normal form or additional Rumble forms since I just like form changing. I'm torn on Horn Point though. On one hand, I liked his old form with the big antlers and big Deer body. On the other, new Horn Point is my favorite post-time skip design and I kind of wish it was his normal form since it looks so cool and grown up. We need more Horn Point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
How about Horn Kabuto form, where his antler become a slingshot for Usopp?

Maybe Chopper could mix in Scope with that and help Usopp figure out weakpoints to snipe!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Chopper should get a Santa Point power where he can fly. :colbert:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Gyges fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Sep 23, 2014

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Wrong thread.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Bobulus posted:

Yes. From the same volume:

This should be posted anytime people think Oda is some sort of foreshadowing god. He just likes to leave strings hanging to tie them to something at some later time.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
I mean, he does heavily foreshadow things sometimes. And sometimes things slip by leaving plot holes that he doesn't notice. Frankly, I think Norland talking about dwarves, Sanji's double curly brows on the Den Den Mushi, Zeff calling the Grand Line "a paradise", and other things are excellent examples of very nice foreshadowing. There are clearly elements Oda has planned out years or even more than a decade in advance, and he likes to hint at them for people to find later. Of course, he's not some infallible writing god who never makes an error and sometimes he lets plot holes through.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Compared to Kishimoto, he looks completely infallible.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I think the biggest plot hole in One Piece is that the degree of communication technology we see (most notably global newspaper delivery) probably wasn't originally intended to be part of the setting, leading to a few odd scenes where people talk about things like Devil Fruits and Mihawk-level swordsmanship skeptically when they should be reading about people like Whitebeard in the papers (although the most egregious example of this was anime-only) and going from even Nami and Robin not knowing what Dials were to Tone Dials being a globally popular consumer good in just a couple years.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Silver2195 posted:

and going from even Nami and Robin not knowing what Dials were to Tone Dials being a globally popular consumer good in just a couple years.

Are you referring to Brook selling his music on tone dials? He could've personally gotten trading going with the sky islands for that. They seemed pretty rare pre-timeskip.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The fact the guerrilla warfare and rule by lightning tyrant stopped around the time Dials started coming into the world below is probably not a coincidence.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I'd go ahead and attribute it to the fact that Bellamy said something about rapaciously pillaging the skylands for their stuffs.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I take it that there is a break this week. Or something of the sort.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Spanish Matlock posted:

I'd go ahead and attribute it to the fact that Bellamy said something about rapaciously pillaging the skylands for their stuffs.

I'm still convinced that when he showed up, the people there were like DO YOU KNOW STRAWHAT? HE FORGOT THIS GOLDEN PILLAR. PLEASE TAKE IT WITH YOU AND GIVE IT TO HIM.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Why do I feel like it was heavily hinted that exactly that happened? I thought we were told somewhere that Binami was just acting tough and that the people on Shandia just give poo poo to people for free now.

Also, re: Skypiea from before, it actually makes a lot of sense that dials would become a lot more popular. They obviously existed in some form before, but they've had the first two years in a long time that visitors have been welcomed to Skypiea to spread. You've got to figure not many people would pay Amazon's fee considering it's optional and expensive, and the priests of Enel took joy in murdering people, so basically everyone who got up there (remember, there are multiple ways other than the Knock-Up Stream) probably died unless they were strong enough to escape the priests. Now Amazon's not even running the gate anymore. Hell, there's probably a welcome committee with free dials for everyone.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Advice posted:

Why do I feel like it was heavily hinted that exactly that happened? I thought we were told somewhere that Binami was just acting tough and that the people on Shandia just give poo poo to people for free now.

I don't recall it being stated outright, but when Bellamy showed up again that was one of the prevailing theories, and I guess it just got ingrained in the minds of some people? It's something that could have happened. I mean, the Barty being Luffy's fan theory worked out, so why not this one?

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Silver2195 posted:

people talk about things like Devil Fruits and Mihawk-level swordsmanship skeptically
There are real people living in TYOOL 2014 who don't believe Ebola exists. Cultural osmosis only gets you so far, just sayin'.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I don't recall it being stated outright, but when Bellamy showed up again that was one of the prevailing theories, and I guess it just got ingrained in the minds of some people? It's something that could have happened. I mean, the Barty being Luffy's fan theory worked out, so why not this one?

It also helps that we've seen Skypeia post timeskip and it was A-Okay, and Oda would have used the cover page to hint otherwise if Bellamy actually did something. Plus, dude got one-shot by Luffy anyway, he would have been hopelessly outmatched.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Advice posted:

Bellamy wasn't anywhere near Luffy, Zoro, or Sanji's level so the altitude would have been super hard on him. He would have been panting like a hyena and unable to do anything other than accept the vast riches loaded onto his boat by the natives.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Gyges posted:

Bellamy wasn't anywhere near Luffy, Zoro, or Sanji's level so the altitude would have been super hard on him. He would have been panting like a dachshund and unable to do anything other than accept the vast riches loaded onto his boat by the natives.

:colbert:

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Advice posted:

I mean, he does heavily foreshadow things sometimes. And sometimes things slip by leaving plot holes that he doesn't notice. Frankly, I think Norland talking about dwarves, Sanji's double curly brows on the Den Den Mushi, Zeff calling the Grand Line "a paradise", and other things are excellent examples of very nice foreshadowing. There are clearly elements Oda has planned out years or even more than a decade in advance, and he likes to hint at them for people to find later. Of course, he's not some infallible writing god who never makes an error and sometimes he lets plot holes through.

There's something to be said for letting a thread hang, and going back to it later and making good use of it. A lot of other writers can't do this well, but Oda is really good at executing on little asides and fleshing them out into plot points later. I'm not totally convinced he has everything planned out ahead of time, but that's a remarkable skill in its own right. Most shonen series seem to just give up on writing and throw things into endless tournament fights, it's nice One Piece has managed to avoid this trap.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Space-Bird posted:

There's something to be said for letting a thread hang, and going back to it later and making good use of it. A lot of other writers can't do this well, but Oda is really good at executing on little asides and fleshing them out into plot points later. I'm not totally convinced he has everything planned out ahead of time, but that's a remarkable skill in its own right. Most shonen series seem to just give up on writing and throw things into endless tournament fights, it's nice One Piece has managed to avoid this trap.

I think it helps a lot that there is already an established route and end goal, the Grand Line and One Piece. Each island we encounter is already a mini tournament arc in disguise (or not) but because there are likely to be lots of them, Oda keeps them (relatively) short otherwise we will be stuck at each island forever. Plot points he can't resolve in one island can be integrated into later islands. Also he can easily revisit old characters since they can all sail along the Grand Line as well..

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
As the others have said, Oda isn't infallible but he does plan ahead. There's a clear ending he has set in mind and designs like Hancock and Brooke have been around years before the characters were introduced. We've also yet to see the 'eye patch' pirate as well as Vegapunk but we know that they've existed as characters for a long time now.

He just has a bunch of really cool ideas and designs in his head and he is a good enough story teller to weave them all in.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

alkanphel posted:

I think it helps a lot that there is already an established route and end goal, the Grand Line and One Piece. Each island we encounter is already a mini tournament arc in disguise (or not) but because there are likely to be lots of them, Oda keeps them (relatively) short otherwise we will be stuck at each island forever. Plot points he can't resolve in one island can be integrated into later islands. Also he can easily revisit old characters since they can all sail along the Grand Line as well..

Pretty much this. In general, because the story isn't overall about defeating villain X, it means it can and often will move quickly on to the new island and new cast, which also means that various side plots and such are less likely to be tied to one specific group or foe, unless they can be brought back into the story in a good way. Don't want to include them just yet? Just have a lack of reason for the matter to be brought up (example: No mention of Buggy in Alabasta because why the hell would he be there; returns far later on anyway) and it'll pass by fine, a simple solution that makes sense. It also means that if there was something that had dragged down or diverted the attention of things for an extended time, well it can be swept aside at the new island in most cases.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Looks like the One Piece dub is finally in Thriller Bark. So here's a little Bink's in English.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Gyges posted:

Looks like the One Piece dub is finally in Thriller Bark. So here's a little Bink's in English.

Sounds pretty good actually. Honestly I never cared much for hearing Brook's sing, and I think it's because subtitled songs just don't work as well as subtitled speeches.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gyges posted:

That's region-locked so I checked to see if there was a version I could listen to and ended up listening to some covers of Bink's Sake, one of which had this comment:

quote:

I know what you mean. I hear grown adults talking about this stupid Japanese poo poo and I can't hep but feel they're somehow hosed in the head. I mean it's a loving cartoon! Why is it that just because it comes from the Orient it's somehow acceptable for adults to obsess over them? This is a stupid horseshit fad. All of you cartoon loving asshats need to grow up. Join the Army or something.

i hope sa never dies so i dont have to interact with the rest of the internet jesus loving christ what the hell

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-09-29/one-piece-spinoff-manga-series-to-start-in-december/.79332

the gently caress is this

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Kild posted:

the gently caress is this

Oda's cause of death in a year.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

I'm pretty sure Saikyo Jump is the Jump where all the chibi-manga are from like Springtime of Youth and the upcoming Sasuke adventures. I assume the same deal with One Piece.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Allarion posted:

I'm pretty sure Saikyo Jump is the Jump where all the chibi-manga are from like Springtime of Youth and the upcoming Sasuke adventures. I assume the same deal with One Piece.

I can't really see the point of a springtime of youth type spinoff since One Piece is so comedic already unless it's all those mini "mafia Strawhats" things.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

Prison Warden posted:

I can't really see the point of a springtime of youth type spinoff since One Piece is so comedic already unless it's all those mini "mafia Strawhats" things.

Didn't they already do a Springtime of Youth thing based around Chopper but it was set in the real world?

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Gotta be better than the Chopperman spinoff that took approximately three pages to completely miss the point of what makes One Piece fun.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Prison Warden posted:

I can't really see the point
$$$$$$$

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Hey at least Oda can afford becoming a cyborg.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
Best case scenario it's a more slice of life everyday adventure thing with the crew and we can get a lot of character interaction we haven't really gotten since the time skip.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Obviously the statement that it's about "Luffy and the Straw Hats" is to keep us off the scent of the real protagonists: The Fake Hats

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Obviously the statement that it's about "Luffy and the Straw Hats" is to keep us off the scent of the real protagonists: The Fake Hats
Oh god now I want a 'Springtime of Youth' kind of thing about the fakehats.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Bisse posted:

Oh god now I want a 'Springtime of Youth' kind of thing about the fakehats.

They're all dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Waffleman_ posted:

They're all dead.

So is Neji but he's still a main character in Springtime of Youth.

• Locked thread