Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Swolegoat posted:

please don't be rude
the only one not included on that list is an airport extreme and if you were going to buy an apple hardware you wouldn't be in this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Swolegoat posted:

wahts a nonshit router for my personal computer

an airport time capsule op

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

theadder posted:

i have one of those and it's great

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Swolegoat posted:

wahts a nonshit router for my personal computer

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Sniep posted:

i have one of those and it's great

same op

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Corla Plankun posted:

how much computing power do i need to virtualize a hadoop cluster?

i don't care about tflops or anything, i just want to do it as a learning experience because i am sick of not having hadoop on my resume

my school spoiled me with a matlab instance with 128gb of ram so i never had to deal with cluster computing but as it turns out industry people care deeply about the 'doop

edit: the context for this is i am thinking about building a new PC and this might be a target if it is reasonably attainable

you can probably run a single node locally, or even if you can't, there's probably a way to spool up a multi-node test "cluster" on one machine without v420n

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
i am probably going to do this tomorrow at work and see how that pans out

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

theadder posted:

same. owns.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Corla Plankun posted:

i am probably going to do this tomorrow at work and see how that pans out

That looks rather interesting, I guess, more for the lxc stuff than hadoop but I'm not really a big data jockey anyway

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

Corla Plankun posted:

how much computing power do i need to virtualize a hadoop cluster?

i don't care about tflops or anything, i just want to do it as a learning experience because i am sick of not having hadoop on my resume

my school spoiled me with a matlab instance with 128gb of ram so i never had to deal with cluster computing but as it turns out industry people care deeply about the 'doop

edit: the context for this is i am thinking about building a new PC and this might be a target if it is reasonably attainable

if you want a simple virtualized hadoop cluster for learning and don't care if it's just a single node, you may want to check out cloudera's quickstart VM.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

CIFS is linux-ified SMB and they probably did it wrong

yeah you don't know what you're talking about.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

ehehehehehe

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
is there a way for my gf and me to sync her outlook calendar with my icloud-calendar??? and having them both stay up to date etc

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed
ugh, my work has decided to go with "omniupdate" for its CMS. I am not a web guy, but have been forced into it. This poo poo is such trash.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

compuserved posted:

if you want a simple virtualized hadoop cluster for learning and don't care if it's just a single node, you may want to check out cloudera's quickstart VM.
this is hands down the simplest/easiest method i could find.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
i've been flattening and reinstalling windows machines as favors for people since windows 95 and this is a completely new one for me:

it's a friends Toshiba laptop. the hard drive died so i replaced it and reinstalled windows 7. the laptop had windows 7 home premium (64 bit) so i downloaded and burned the iso from digital river (at a blazing 32kbps, only took 2 days) but the laptop apparently has problems reading burned discs. i really wanted to use the iso instead of his factory home premium disc because the burned copy had SP1 slipstreamed, but whatever.

anyway i formatted the HD and installed windows 7 home premium 64 bit and all the updates including SP1. i installed a bunch of drivers just fine, as well as a bunch of software (pdf xchange, 7zip, chrome, etc) without problem. however, iTunes and Office refuse to install.

they both spit out some crazy error i have never seen before. i would have chalked it up to Office being hosed up but iTunes refuses to install as well. i get "error 1935" in Office and halfway through installation it fails with that error and undoes any changes.

reading up for over a day and other people have had this problem, and some guide told me to change permissions for the entire C: or some poo poo. i did this and magically it loving worked! Office and iTunes installed fine. Except changing permissions on the entire C: hosed a million other things up (programs no longer had icons and other weird poo poo).

so i format AGAIN. this time i hooked up an external CD ROM drive thinking maybe the win7 disc i was using was corrupted (even though it was a retail, pressed disc). i get into windows after formatting, download all the drivers and updates again, and guess what? Office and iTunes refuse to install :smithicide:

i have never had this happen before, and i had just did the same thing to my dad's laptop the previous week so i don't know wtf. the only other thing i could find online was to uninstall .net framework which i did, but then when i tried to install other versions of .net framework, those installations fail as well!

TL;DR: formatted and reinstalled windows 7 twice and certain programs (Office, iTunes, .net Framework) refuse to install; other programs like Chrome, PDF XChange, 7zip install just fine

please send help

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

diagnosis: wandows

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

get a mac op

efb

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

it's a friends Toshiba laptop.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
also they are poverty-stricken and the hard drive is being supplied by me for free so be gone with your Mac talk

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

then i guess the appropriate flippant response is rule 36

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

i never suggested a mac i just gave the diagnosis

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
thx

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

sever

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

i've been flattening and reinstalling windows machines as favors for people since windows 95 and this is a completely new one for me:

it's a friends Toshiba laptop. the hard drive died so i replaced it and reinstalled windows 7. the laptop had windows 7 home premium (64 bit) so i downloaded and burned the iso from digital river (at a blazing 32kbps, only took 2 days) but the laptop apparently has problems reading burned discs. i really wanted to use the iso instead of his factory home premium disc because the burned copy had SP1 slipstreamed, but whatever.

anyway i formatted the HD and installed windows 7 home premium 64 bit and all the updates including SP1. i installed a bunch of drivers just fine, as well as a bunch of software (pdf xchange, 7zip, chrome, etc) without problem. however, iTunes and Office refuse to install.

they both spit out some crazy error i have never seen before. i would have chalked it up to Office being hosed up but iTunes refuses to install as well. i get "error 1935" in Office and halfway through installation it fails with that error and undoes any changes.

reading up for over a day and other people have had this problem, and some guide told me to change permissions for the entire C: or some poo poo. i did this and magically it loving worked! Office and iTunes installed fine. Except changing permissions on the entire C: hosed a million other things up (programs no longer had icons and other weird poo poo).

so i format AGAIN. this time i hooked up an external CD ROM drive thinking maybe the win7 disc i was using was corrupted (even though it was a retail, pressed disc). i get into windows after formatting, download all the drivers and updates again, and guess what? Office and iTunes refuse to install :smithicide:

i have never had this happen before, and i had just did the same thing to my dad's laptop the previous week so i don't know wtf. the only other thing i could find online was to uninstall .net framework which i did, but then when i tried to install other versions of .net framework, those installations fail as well!

TL;DR: formatted and reinstalled windows 7 twice and certain programs (Office, iTunes, .net Framework) refuse to install; other programs like Chrome, PDF XChange, 7zip install just fine

please send help

make a win7 bootable usb and install from that

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

did you at least get a hug

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

ahmeni posted:

make a win7 bootable usb and install from that

this or use the external drive to install from ur burned disk

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

MORE CURLY FRIES posted:

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

MORE CURLY FRIES posted:

some panties even

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

enotnert posted:

ugh, my work has decided to go with ANY CMS PACKAGE EVER for its CMS. This poo poo is such trash.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Granbar posted:

is there a way for my gf and me to sync her outlook calendar with my icloud-calendar??? and having them both stay up to date etc

tell each other your new events over nightly sex, op

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

My current venerable desktop runs on:

I have the max 8gb on the board, is there any processor I can buy to fit this board that will give me a significant performance bump to put off building a whole new machine, or do I need to bite the bullet?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I have the max 8gb on the board, is there any processor I can buy to fit this board that will give me a significant performance bump to put off building a whole new machine, or do I need to bite the bullet?

you will not get a significant performance bump from upgrading your processor

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
yeah nothing you can upgrade on there that would be worth the cost of doing so versus building a new computer; unless you happen to be able to find a slightly faster processor for free

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

NoneMoreNegative posted:

ssd. if you already have an ssd, there's nothing you can do, since minimum you'd need a new motherboard to go with a new processor, and probably new ram as well.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
is there a noticeable bump in ssd performance on sandy/ivy bridge/haswell compared to core/nehalem chipsets

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

anthonypants posted:

is there a noticeable bump in ssd performance on sandy/ivy bridge/haswell compared to core/nehalem chipsets

no, unless your motherboard has a crippled sata controller or its a new ssd with sata 3 required for full speeds and your mobo's too old to have sata 3

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

or your mobo's like an old p4 one i had that supported sata 1 except when it was a sata 2 device in compatiblity mode and then it didn't work at all

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

iirc the P35 has SATA 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

snype