Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Jerusalem posted:

Eccleston kept insisting that Mickey's name was really Ricky, so maybe there's an alternate reality out there where, while fighting a new breed of Sea Devils bred by a dying genius in a wheelchair, they discover Donnie Pink the PE Teacher.

It's definitely something similar to the Mickey situation; it's not that the Doctor actually thinks Danny's a P.E. teacher, it's that he doesn't respect him enough to agree with what Danny claims versus what the Doctor has decided he'll go with. (Plus, let's be honest, he is very 'P.E. teacher')

I can't entirely articulate why, but this episode didn't really come together for me. There was nothing openly bad about it, and I really liked the interaction between Danny and the Doctor that was ultimately the core of the thing, but the episode as a whole didn't really work for me. The only outright weakness I can point to is that their first proper meetup, right after timeporting away the deathbot, was really just kind of weak overall, with Danny not actually responding much. He steps up to the plate later, especially when he actually confronts the Doctor in the TARDIS, but I feel like that first scene should've been a lot 'bigger' emotionally, and it just wasn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Autonomous Monster posted:

I literally did not realise that was Ollie Reed until the AV Club pointed it out. He looks and acts like a completely different person!

Now I am going monkey brain insane over Chris Addison.

I didn't recognise him at all and had to google it when I saw people in this thread saying it. I think the lack of glasses threw me off. I feel dumb because when I saw him I thought "wouldn't it be funny if they got Ollie from Thick Of It to play that guy".

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I did not enjoy this.

Mind you part of that is my frothing rage at how the Doctor treated Danny. gently caress you Doctor, remember the Brig? What did HE do after he retired for the first time? Oh right BECAME A TEACHER YOU FUCKHEAD.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
I liked this episode because the Doctor, Clara, and Danny don't come off too well at various points in the episode but they all seemed believable and understandable.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Burkion posted:

Mind you part of that is my frothing rage at how the Doctor treated Danny. gently caress you Doctor, remember the Brig? What did HE do after he retired for the first time? Oh right BECAME A TEACHER YOU FUCKHEAD.

This was annoying as hell, mostly because of how wearyingly one-note it was for the entire episode.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Missy kind of gave Chris Addison a pretty pissed off look when she walked by. Any chance these two are the Black and White Guardians?

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Burkion posted:

I did not enjoy this.

You hit on what I was going to say, except from the other direction. It was when he finally realized that Mr. Pink was indeed a Math(s) teacher that I went "of course!" I usually avoid the hell out posting fan theories, but here's what I'd like it to be:

The Doctor has gone all anti-soldier, and especially can't face the idea that a soldier might become a Math(s) teacher, because it reminds him so much of BFF soldier-turned-Math(s) teacher Alastair Gordon Lethbridge Stewart.

Crazy Man
Mar 12, 2006

The laws of sanity are mine, and they will obey me!
Glad to see I'm not the only one confused by 11's theme in the preview...

Overall, a great episode. Yeah, there were sitcom elements, but I think it balanced out quite nicely with the whole Clara drama surrounding it.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Eh, it was okay. Although, I think it was quite fortunate that there was a trampoline behind the monster of the week.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Burkion posted:

I did not enjoy this.

Well, to be fair, the Fifth Doctor couldn't quite believe the Brig was teaching maths either.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Crazy Man posted:

Glad to see I'm not the only one confused by 11's theme in the preview...

It was in the last one, too. It's like someone on staff just sort of forgot that was Eleven's theme, and not the Doctor's. Maybe it's because Twelve doesn't really have a theme yet?

Crazy Man
Mar 12, 2006

The laws of sanity are mine, and they will obey me!

Cleretic posted:

It was in the last one, too. It's like someone on staff just sort of forgot that was Eleven's theme, and not the Doctor's. Maybe it's because Twelve doesn't really have a theme yet?

Maybe it's Moffat's theme?

When did Ten get a theme? I don't remember when it happened, and I want to say it was during season 3...

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Lots of uncomfortable moments in that episode.

They had really built up the moment when Clara's double life would get revealed to Danny. It's been going on for quite a few episodes now, and the montage at the beginning of the episode was fantastic. However the actual moment was too real for me, and the Doctor's reactions made it uncomfortable to watch. It played out probably how it would have played out in real life, with shock, disbelief, confusion, jealousy and anger, rather than exuberance and immediate acceptance. And maybe that doesn't always make for good TV. Or maybe it could have, if it wasn't being played out while the Doctor was acting out some scorned ex-BF/overprotective father thing.

RunAndGun
Apr 30, 2011

Irony Be My Shield posted:

They did and it was called Listen.

OK, yeah, me trying to remember all the seasons I've watched and totally didn't think to examine the season right in front of my face. :doh:

Jerusalem posted:

Technically speaking in The Crimson Horror too, where the villain is definitely the human being running the show, and all the technical innovations are down to her and her alone. The little parasite-leech thing IS a "monster" but it's utterly passive and served only as a focus for her madness that she would have found in something else if she hadn't encountered it.

You really think so? There was no real Monster threat, as you point out, but the poison-everyone-on-Earth thing was still a Threat. In my opinion.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The best bit was the Doctor thinking he looks the same age as Clara.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

RunAndGun posted:

You really think so? There was no real Monster threat, as you point out, but the poison-everyone-on-Earth thing was still a Threat. In my opinion.

Yeah, simply saying "The real enemy was a person!" is kind of irrelevant because there are loads and loads and loads of stories like that. The pure historicals for a start.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

This episode was fantastic. The fake Matt Smith bit was superbly set up and executed, really really funny. I really like how they're doing character-focused stuff this season and the episodes aren't necessarily as self-contained on that front as you'd expect. A lot of character beats feel like they're aiming to develop down the line.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Like last week that was another fun episode that was good, but not great. I'm glad that apart from half of Deep Breath and the poo poo looking season arc things there hasn't been anything really awful this series, but there hasn't been anything really great either.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I like that Danny doesn't actually like the Doctor at all.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Burkion posted:

Right on! :hfive: My parents are visiting and watched this episode with me as well as the rest of this season. Feh! This one was a stinker in all of our eyes because of the tiresome personality crap they gave to Capaldi and completely ignores his longtime friendship and respect for the Brigadier.

Tarquinn posted:

Eh, it was okay. Although, I think it was quite fortunate that there was a trampoline behind the monster of the week.
If only there as a *boing-oing-oing* sound, then it could have been as classy as the first episode. :rolleyes:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Thing is when have they shown this doctor not being a jackass to everyone and actually having 10 or 11's excitement for time and space travel.

The off screen adventures looked more fun than the ones they've shown us.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Davros1 posted:

Well, to be fair, the Fifth Doctor couldn't quite believe the Brig was teaching maths either.

Problem with that.

The Doctor knew the Brig, personally. Pretty much one of the few people the Doctor could truly call a best friend-would visit him even if it technically broke the rules of time and space MORE THAN ONCE. His death so shook him to force him to go and confront his OWN impending death.

The Doctor knew the Brig and had no reason to assume he'd ever retire, let alone become a math teacher. But he accepted it.

He still had good reason.

He did not *LOATH* all soldiers everywhere for NO loving REASON and openly insult them to their loving face, question their intelligence and competency. I just really want the Brig to come in and slap the Doctor, maybe have Benson waltz in and nuttpunch him.

gently caress this character trait.

It'd be like if the Doctor was suddenly racist, or suddenly was sexist.

It makes ABOUT as much loving sense.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

It certainly seems like very lazy plotting to have the new Doctor be all "I hate soldiers lol" and Clara be all "now I am dating a soldier what are the odds", like the world's most contrived drama being sort of magicked out of nowhere.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Burkion posted:

He did not *LOATH* all soldiers everywhere for NO loving REASON

He didn't like soldiers at the start of Pertwee either. The initial relationship with the Brigadier was a lot more adversarial than it later turned into - both in The Web of Fear where he's set up as a possible antagonist and in stories like The Silurians where he does his own thing completely against the Doctor's wishes.

With the Doctor's general pacifism (which varies, but he's almost always a talk-people-out-of-it-if-possible kind of chap anyway) and antiauthoritarian streak being adversarial with soldiers makes sense.

Burkion posted:

...Not really? The extent to which soldiers are culpable for their actions is a very difficult question but not thinking highly of soldiers is nothing at all like the Doctor having a similar rant at Mr Pink because he wasn't white. Also,

Burkion posted:

Given the conversation so far this series, hmm what if?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
How DARE the doctor be different in any way shape or form from the other 12 versions of him that were all different from each other.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

quote:

You can tell he's not a PE teacher because he didn't use the fosbury flop

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

How DARE the doctor be different in any way shape or form from the other 12 versions of him that were all different from each other.

It's the contrivance of the difference that's the issue, like if he'd gone "now I hate lemons" and then in the same episode Clara had gone "I am going on a date with a sexy lemon wow". Obviously it's not quite that bad because there's at least some precedent to the Doctor hating soldiers, but it comes across as very non-organic indeed to me.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

vegetables posted:

It's the contrivance of the difference that's the issue, like if he'd gone "now I hate lemons" and then in the same episode Clara had gone "I am going on a date with a sexy lemon wow"

Yeah, that would be pretty unacceptable

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'm pretty sure 10 and 11 didn't like soldiers either, I vaguely remember a few scenes where they criticize them. It's just that the plot of this season and the more abrasive nature of 12 have pushed it more to the forefront.

e: also it's been literally hundreds of years since The Doctor knew the Brig, do you not think it's possible for someone's views to change in that time? He could just have him down as an exception to a rule.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 28, 2014

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Obviously this combination was chosen to produce this kind of tension but it's not like it's just come out of nowhere this week.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
You guys are sleeping on the best thing from this episode, the Coal Hill School motto: "A spirit of adventure!" :3:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
All contrivances aside, the argument that a potentially interesting plot-and-character line should be abandoned on the basis of character interactions from TWENTY-FIVE YEARS AGO (Battlefield) is absolutely bonkers. It's the worst kind of fannish canon-obsession.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
I'm digging Capaldi, though his stories are kinda weak so far. Bank Heist was neat, and I really dug the "Listen" episode.

I basically fast forwarded through the last one though. P.E. teacher is such a dull character, and all plot points around him are not stuff I care about yet.

Maxwell Lord posted:

I thought there was a lot of fun character stuff from everyone in this one.

Capaldi's Doctor is clearly one that could hang with Rick from Rick and Morty.
My roommate and I have a running joke that Capaldi's Doctor basically is Rick from Rick and Morty.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Also this series has had a fairly consistent current of "Challenge the Doctor's assumptions"

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Also this series has had a fairly consistent current of "Challenge the Doctor's assumptions"

And "The Doctor is wrong/in denial about something relating to him specifically".

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I really liked Clara's line after the Doctor asks what he'd do without out her "Grow a conscious of your own?".

Also, the Parents going "but you said last year she was a 'very disruptive influence', so that's an improvement" got a laugh.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

All contrivances aside, the argument that a potentially interesting plot-and-character line should be abandoned on the basis of character interactions from TWENTY-FIVE YEARS AGO (Battlefield) is absolutely bonkers. It's the worst kind of fannish canon-obsession.

I don't disagree with this as an argument, but guess I do disagree that "soldiers aren't always bad!" is potentially interesting. The Doctor would have to have a more reasoned stance for that to be the case; as it stands there's very little to it as a plot.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I'm sad there were no Remembrance references. Would it have killed them to have some burrrrnmarks on the playground still? <:mad:>

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Jsor posted:

So what are we betting? The Library computer? Cyber control hivemind?

(Probably something new, but still)

The Papal Mainframe?

Don't know why, but it sounds like the sort of thing that would simulate an afterlife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I only just now realized that the poster for The Caretaker is all Pink. :haw:

• Locked thread